Subject: MEDIAlert! [A], 5/1/98
From: MediAction <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 2 May 1998 08:13:36 EDT

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
INDEX:   "MEDIAlert!" [A] - 05.01.98

-ITEM 1:  "Peripheral Vision" [20/20; Joann Loulan; ABC; BiNet USA;
Bisexuality 101].

-ITEM 2:  "Out Of The Water Closet" [George Michael; CNN; Reuters; AP; Irish
Times; GLAAD; Daily Mirror; Aegean Records].

NOTE:  Next "MEDIAlert!" = Friday, May 8
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

M   E   D   I   A   l   e   r   t   !
_________________________

May 1, 1998     Al Kielwasser

[1]

P E R I P H E R A L  V I S I O N

In a story ostensibly about bisexuality, the ABC newsmagazine "20/20" (April
17) focused on author Joann Loulan, who has written extensively on sexual
practices and politics.  Despite being in a monogamous two-year relationship
with a heterosexual man, Loulan continues to identify herself (exclusively) as
lesbian.  That stance has prompted some criticism, from bisexuals as well as
lesbians -- which became the focus of "20/20's" report.

After Loulan announced her position, many in the lesbian and gay community
"were shocked and resentful," the segment opened by noting.  "Her icon status
quickly disintegrated."

Correspondent Lynn Sherr then went on to interview quite a few people --
resentful and otherwise.  Ultimately, however, the diversity of this collected
opinion was broader in number than actual range.

Of course, Loulan and her male lover were featured prominently.  Ordinarily an
articulate and thoughtful critic, however, Loulan's performance here seemed a
tad trite -- offering more "sound-bite" than sound argument.  Perhaps the very
nature of television, which favors form over content, is to blame.

Loulan argued, for example, that:  "Sex is an activity.  It's not a identity."
Of course that's true.  But it explains NOTHING, and responds to NO ONE -- at
least in this context.  None of Loulan's critics claimed that sexual activity
EQUALED sexual identity (or even that the one CAUSES the other); they
suggested that there is (or should be) a reasonable CORRELATION between the
two.

Loulan was also given the segment's last word, in which she opined:  "It
doesn't matter what anyone else says, it doesn't matter who your partners are,
it doesn't matter what anyone says to you about what you are.  This is inside
you."  Once again, this fine-sounding Hallmark sentiment is undercut by
Loulan's own insistence that she be KNOWN as lesbian; in a bi- and homophobic
culture, moreover, "it" obviously does MATTER.

Sociologist Paula Rust, from the State University of New York, served better
as "the expert" for this "20/20" segment.  Notably, she was given the
opportunity to define (or at least spell out) such important concepts as
"heterosexual privilege."  As for Loulan's sexual identity, Rust suggested the
debate is likely to continue -- because it is rooted in the very nature of
"labels," which are both arbitrary AND essential.

When Sherr asked if "we get into trouble when we put these labels on
sexuality?," Rust replied:  "Yes, and it is necessary."  "We need to talk
about these things, so we do need labels," she said.  "But at the same time,
we need to realize that these labels are artificial."

The remainder of "20/20's" segment was composed of interviews with a variety
of "average persons," intended to represent concerns within the lesbian and
gay community.  For several critics, Loulan's self-identification is an
apparent lie -- obviously inconsistent with her bisexual (if not straight)
orientation.

A biphobic tone underscored much this criticism, however, which dismissively
tends to lump hetero- and bisexuality together -- in an "Us vs. Them"
framework.  Other critics object to Loulan's profession of lesbianism not
simply because it is a failure to "admit" her sexual identity -- but a failure
to embrace it.  Her adamant rejection of the "bisexual" label becomes a
rejection of bisexuality itself.

Remarkably, however, a substantive BISEXUAL voice was missing from these
"snippets" of opinion -- and indeed, from most of the "20/20" segment.  Mike
Syzmanski, who was among a group of activists originally taped for the
broadcast, expressed concerns about such omission even before the program
aired.

As the media coordinator for BiNet USA, Syzmanski feared that much (if not
all) of the eight hours he spent giving an interview to "20/20" would be cut.
His doubts were first raised when "20/20" producers vaguely suggested that
such material might be used "for another episode in the future."

"Here's the irony," Syzmanski explains.  "I asked the producer if there were
ANY bisexuals in the
piece.  She paused and thought a minute and said, 'Well, a few walk by in the
B-role, and I know they are bi, but we don't say so.  Don't worry, this will
spark discussion.'"

"Fine, there's a story about us -- but we're not even depicted," he concludes.
"That's TV news!"

Making matters even worse, Lynn Sherr closed the story by chatting briefly
with "20/20" co-host Barbara Walters.  Walters adopted a befuddled (if not
bemused) attitude -- apparently unable to comprehend all the fuss "they" were
raising.  Sherr suggested that Loulan might be insisting she is lesbian simply
because the bisexual community has less political clout.

In that final comment, Sheer ignored much of her own story (which hardly
showed Loulan assimilating with ease into a fully supportive lesbian
community).  Even more troubling, her opinion perpetuates an image of
bisexuals as nothing but social and political "opportunists" -- a stereotype
that is still too common in both mainstream and lesbian/gay media.

To be fair, "20/20's" treatment of this controversy reflects an existing
division between the larger lesbian, gay and bisexual communities.  Yet, by
focusing SOLELY on these groups, the story failed to point out that biphobia
exists in straight society as well (where it is even MORE virulent and
widespread).  Heterosexism, a contributing factor to homophobia and biphobia
alike, was utterly excused.

Last but not least, this bias is consistent with the news media's general
treatment of sex, race and other "isms."  Minority issues are commonly reduced
to stories of internal conflict -- in which the only problem is "theirs."

In covering strife within lesbian, gay and bisexual communities, the
mainstream media often report on divisions they actually seek to reinforce.
For these conflicts ultimately "weaken the power of the community as a whole"
-- and thus serve the interests of heterosexism -- as Margaret Nichols
recently pointed out in her column, "Bisexuality 101: A Primer for the Lesbian
and Gay Community."

"If we are inclusive," Nichols reminds us, "we threaten the heterosexual world
not only by our numbers but also by eroding the sense of safety and distance
many straight folks have."

****  ACTION ALERT!  Send comments and concerns to:  Victor Neufeld, Executive
Producer, 20/20, 147 Columbus Ave., 10th Floor, New York, NY 10023-5900, fax
212-456-2969, e-mail [email-masked];  Richard Wald, Senior Vice President of
ABC News, ABC Television Network, 77 W. 66th Street, New York, NY 10023-6201,
tel. 212-456-7777, fax 212-456-2381, e-mail [email-masked].

R e / S o u r c e s :  Michael Szymanski, Media Coordinator, BiNet USA, P.O.
Box 7327, Langley Park, MD 20787, e-mail [email-masked], web
www.binetusa.org.  BiNet USA's web site features a monthly "Media Report;" the
April 1988 report addresses an insidious pattern of defamation by omission --
the "unspoken B-word" -- which characterizes everything from feature films
("Object of My Affection") to news stories (George Michael coverage).

 Margaret Nichols, Ph.D., is Director of the Institute for Personal Growth;
her article "Bisexuality 101" appears in the January 1998 issue of "Our
Quarterly," P.O. Box 2201, Bloomfield, NJ 07003, tel. 973-893-0455 (ext. 7),
fax 973-893-1370.

[2]

O U T  O F  T H E  W A T E R  C L O S E T

That was then . . .

. . .  "Singer George Michael was... dancing the night away Axis, a West
Hollywood club catering to a mixed gay and straight crowd.  But when he had to
use the little boy's room, George suddenly turned shy, say witnesses...  and
ordered his bodyguards to clear the bathroom so that he could have complete
privacy!" -- Globe, May 13, 1997.

This is now . . .

. . .  "Pop star George Michael...  was charged on Thursday with lewd conduct
stemming from his arrest this month in a public toilet." -- Reuters, April 17,
1998.

The more things change, the more they stay the same.  Following his recent
arrest for lewd conduct, singer George Michael "decided" finally to come out
of the closet -- during an exclusive interview on CNN, no less (April 11).  A
flurry of press interest quickly followed, revealing the media's chronic
misunderstanding of "the closet."

In the mainstream media, lying (and being forced to lie) about sexual
orientation is often rationalized as a "right to privacy."  Keeping with that
unfortunate custom, most new stories confused Michael's "closeted life" with
his "private" -- a mix-up that the singer himself encouraged in the past, and
fails to challenge even now.

Of course, sexual ACTIVITY is a "private matter" -- but sexual ORIENTATION is
not.  Reporting that someone is gay, lesbian or bisexual is hardly the same as
reporting when, where or with whom they have sex.

Michael was never protecting his "privacy" when he denied being gay (or
bisexual), and it would be inaccurate to report that now, by stating the fact
of his sexual orientation, something "private" has been exposed.  Yet, that is
exactly what most journalists reported.

About his decision to come out, for example, CNN reporters asked Michael "why
he felt compelled to open up a part of his PRIVATE life" (April 11).
Likewise, Reuters first reported:  "The 34-year-old singer, who has long drawn
a discreet veil over his PRIVATE life, broke his silence" (April 10).  A week
later, the wire service continued to suggest that:  "Michael, who has tried to
keep his PRIVATE life secret, broke his silence because he said he wanted to
let his fans know he was ok" (April 17).

An article in the "Irish Times" (April 11) was headlined:  "Star's PRIVACY
Goes Wham As Incident Is Exposed."  Yet the ensuing story reported ONLY that
Michael was gay; it revealed NOTHING about private life, per se.

A more accurate headline would have substituted "secrecy" or "deceit" for the
word "privacy."  Even Michael now admits that he intentionally deceived music
consumers for decades, on the assumption that a "borderline" sexual identity
would earn him more money and fame.

Unfortunately, Michael still maintains that another reason he remained
closeted was "that he didn't feel like publicizing his private life"
(PlanetOut, April 13).  That excuse is especially unbelievable, considering it
comes from a man who once gave an interview about his TESTICLES to the London
"Daily Mirror" ("They were recently twice their usual size,' confesses George,
relaxing at his north London home in a pair of baggy tracksuit bottoms.  'Now
the swelling has gone down and they have returned to normal -- unfortunately.
In fact, I think they might even be a bit smaller than they were before.").

In the annals of show business, such deceit might be common.  But it is no
more defensible for its excess.  With far less money, safety, support and
prestige than George Michael, queers come out every day (instead of waiting
until they are "caught").

Not only the REPORTING leaves room for improvement, in this case, so does the
STORY himself.  In both timing and tenor, Michael also undermined his own
outing.

When reporters asked about his reasons for coming out, Michael replied:  "This
is as good a time as any."  "I want to say that I have no problem with people
knowing that I'm in a relationship with a man right now," he methodically
explained.  "I have not been in a relationship with a woman for almost 10
years" (Associated Press, April 11; CNN, April 11).

Of course, when you have been you are arrested for having sex with yourself in
a toilet stall, it is always a good time to harp about "honest" relationships
-- and swear, to the court of public opinion at least, that "I'm in one now."
Michael might just as well have said:  "Now that I am facing criminal charges,
I have no problem with people knowing that I have decided to stop being an
inveterate, greed-driven liar."

Even granting him the best of intentions, Michael's timing could hardly be
WORSE.  Following his outing, however, the Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against
Defamation issued a hackneyed press release commending the singer "for his
honesty and courage" (April 13).

"GLAAD congratulates George Michael on his courageous decision to publicly
come out," said executive director Joan Garry.  "Obviously, the circumstances
were less than ideal," she conceded.  "But Michael's honesty and openness will
serve as an inspiration for countless lesbian, gay and bisexual people.  It
will help foster a safer atmosphere within the music industry for all
artists."

Given GLAAD's vital role -- as the only national gay and lesbian media
watchdog in the U.S. -- such a simplistic response is especially
disappointing.  Garry's "less-than-ideal" assessment is as delusive a bromide
as Michael's "good as any."  Rather than raising the critical bar, it
encourages diminished expectations.

The same language has been used, without distinction, for describing the
coming out sagas of other celebrities.  When Ellen DeGeneres left the closet,
for example, GLAAD issued a virtually identical press release -- which
"congratulates" the actress and "applauds Ellen DeGeneres' courageous decision
to come out" (April 7, 1997).

Surely, there are important differences between the two outings.  But GLAAD's
take on Michael suggests none.

An evolving approach to media activism requires more than a passing notice
that, while every act of coming out is a good thing, not all are best.
Certainly, Michael's inspirational service to "countless lesbian, gay and
bisexual people" is diminished by his circumstances -- which are hardly
incidental (or entirely beyond his control).

From the very start of his "Wham!" days, Michael had ample opportunity (and
several open invitations) to come out.  But he never did.

By coming out essentially AFTER being outed, Michael's newfound "openness"
suggests as much coercion as courage.  Identifying as gay only -- and
specifically -- in the wake of a "lewd conduct" arrest, Michael lends an even
less-affirmative tone to his claim:  "I don't feel any shame."  It has the
ring of a confession given after torture.

Significantly, in his press statements, Michael chose not to say "I feel
pride."  Rather than question the homophobic forces that compel celebrities to
keep closets -- and the police to entrap gay men -- Michael said only:  "I
want people to know that I feel stupid and I feel reckless for having allowed
my sexuality to be exposed this way."

In a media-saturated and homophobic society, the celebrity who is visibly
queer holds an extraordinary potential for creating change.  As rare as it is
great, that potential is needlessly squandered by "reckless" gay icons.

Celebrities who have spent inordinate time planing ways to stay IN the closet,
could give at least half as much thought to how they come OUT.  Is that too
much to ask?

ACTION ALERT!    Share your thoughts with the media and their watchers.
Contact:  GLAAD, 150 West 26th Street, Suite 503, New York, NY 10001, tel.
213-658-6775 (Los Angeles) or 212-807-1700 (New York), e-mail [email-masked];
Cable News Network, 1 CNN Center, Atlanta, GA 30348-5466, tel. 404-827-1700,
fax 404-737-3323, e-mail [email-masked];  Associated Press, 50
Rockefeller Plaza, 5th Floor, New York, NY 10020-1666, fax 212-621-7520;
Reuters, 199 Water Street, New York, NY 10038, fax 212-859-1717, e-mail
[email-masked], web-site www.reuters.com;  "The Irish Times," 10-15
D'Olier Street, Dublin 2, Ireland, fax 353-1-679-3910, e-mail lettersed@irish-
times.ie.

Feedback for George Michael should be sent in care of his record label:
Aegean Records, London, England, e-mail [email-masked], web www.aegean.net.

[end]

------------------------------------------------------------------------
ABOUT MEDIALERTS

Distributed since 1992 as a community press service, "MEDIAlert!" [TM] is a
weekly action- and advocacy-oriented column series -- featuring media
criticism, briefs and alerts, focused on lesbian, gay and bisexual issues.
Recipients may print, publish or post this material, in whole or part, under
this or any title, without prior permission.  When appropriate, attribution
can be made to "Al Kielwasser" and/or "MEDIAlert!"  File copies of
publications using all or part of any "MEDIAlert!" are always appreciated.
Contact:  MEDIAlert!, 163 Park Street, San Francisco, CA 94110-5835, voice-
mail/fax 415-826-5203, e-mail [email-masked].

------------------------------------------------------------------------
AUTHOR NOTES

Al Kielwasser is the editor of "Gay People, Sex and the Media" (New York:
Haworth Press) and his media criticism and research have appeared widely, in
both popular and academic publications; he was twice elected Chair of the Gay
& Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation/San Francisco Bay Area.

________________________________________

Shape the forces that shape our society . . .
Challenge homophobia in and through the media!
________________________________________

From: MediAction <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 2 May 1998 08:13:50 EDT
Subject: MEDIAlert! [B], 5/1/98

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
INDEX:   "MEDIAlert!" [B] - 05.01.98

-ITEM 1:  "X-Stop, In The Name Of The Law" [X-Stop; San Francisco Examiner;
Censorware Search Engine; Loudoun County Library; Alt.politics.gay-press;
Alt.religion.christian-teen; American Library Association; American Family
Association].

-ITEM 2:  "Good Teen, Bad Parent" [Teen Magazine; YM; Seventeen; National
Coalition Against Censorship].

NOTE:  Next "MEDIAlert!" = Friday, May 8
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

M   E   D   I   A   l   e   r   t   !
_________________________

May 1, 1998     Al Kielwasser

[1]

X - S T O P ,  I N  T H E  N A M E   L A W

A federal judge in Virginia has agreed to hear a precedent-setting lawsuit
that will challenge the public use of "blocking software" -- those much-hyped
programs that are intended to restrict access to "obscene" and "adult" content
on the internet.  Judge Leonie Brinkema explained that, "The central question
before this court is whether a public library may, without violating the First
Amendment, enforce content-based restrictions on access to internet speech."

The case was filed against Loudoun County Library in northern Virginia, which
requires the use of "X-Stop" software on its computers.  Alleging that this
policy abridges First Amendment freedoms, the plaintiffs include the American
Civil Liberties Union and "San Francisco Examiner" columnist Rob Morse.  Morse
reports that sections of the "Examiner's" web site have been blocked simply
because he reports -- from time to time -- on lesbian and gay subjects.

On their own behalf, the producers of "X-Stop" -- Log-On Data Corporation --
claim that this product does not block access to gay or lesbian news sites,
unless they are legally obscene.  However, company promotional materials have
boasted endorsements from some of the nation's most homophobic groups --
including the American Family Association, Family Friendly Libraries, Focus on
the Family, and the Family Research Council.

In a press release issued last August, the American Family Association
breathlessly announced "an alliance with Log-On Data."  "We recommend the X-
Stop filter because it has real muscle," gushed AFA president Donald Wildmon.

Log-On Data touts that same "muscle" in ads that seem to suggest its software
brawn will make the user's brain obsolete.  Lending credence to complaints
that such "filtering" programs are simply "censorware," X-stop is promoted
with this chilling promise:  "If it's BAD it's blocked, before the computer
even knows it!  INSTANTLY...  no time wasted!"

Attorney and censorware critic Jonathan Wallace argues that "X-Stop blocks
numerous sites that cannot possibly be obscene...  because they contain no
explicit sexual material of any kind."  According to Wallace, one version of
X-Stop software indiscriminately blocked web sites for the "AIDS Memorial
Quilt," "The National Journal of Sexual Orientation Law," and "Fairness &
Accuracy In Reporting" (a progressive media watch group, which regularly
challenges homophobic bias in the mainstream press).

Along with web sites, access to Internet newsgroups seems unfairly limited.
According to the Censorware Search Engine, "alt.politics.homosexual" and
"alt.journalism.gay-press" have both been blocked by X-Stop.  The software
does NOT block social and political newsgroups with a HOMOPHOBIC bent, however
-- such "alt.religion.christian-teen" and "alt.religion.christian.baptist."
The latter group regularly includes rants about "Vile Hateful Homosexuals"
(April 16).

Responding to such concerns, X-Stop's CEO recently issued a press release in
which he now claims that his product is "new and improved" -- and that the
opposition's "portrayal of filtering software is outdated" (Business Wire,
April 17).  "X-Stop offers a product called the Librarian II to address the
uncomfortable position of librarians across the country," Bradshaw announced.
"Our software blocks the exact address of a site that is without-a-doubt
pornographic, not 'possibly' pornographic because it contains certain words --
the technology now is deadly accurate."

"We understand the libraries are getting it from both sides, having to answer
to parents and the American Library Association's SUPPOSED stand for First
Amendment rights," Bradshaw explained.  "So, we made the Librarian II with a
very narrow focus -- it blocks only the really bad stuff."

X-Stop's product might be "new," but not necessarily "improved."  At least,
Bradshaw's barely-concealed contempt for American libraries -- not to mention
the U.S. Constitution -- is hardly encouraging.

****  ACTION ALERT!  Critical comments can be sent to:  All Members, Loudoun
County Library Board, Loudoun County Library Administration Office, 102
Heritage Way, NE, Leesburg, VA 22075, tel. 703-777-0368, fax 703-771-5238;
Michael Bradshaw, CEO, X-Stop Division, Log0On Data Corp., 4175 E. La Palma,
Suite 270, Anaheim, CA 92807, tel. 714-577-4929, web www.xstop.com.

Also:  Find out if the public library system in your community uses X-Stop or
any other filtering software; ask officials to ensure that access to lesbian,
gay, bisexual or transgender content is not blocked.  Unfortunately, many
software companies refuse to reveal exactly what is (or is not) being censored
by their filters; the "Censorware Search Engine" -- a unique online resource,
hacking the "stoplists" of several major filtering systems -- can be used to
shed some light on which programs have been blocked what sites
(cgi.pathfinder.com/netly/spoofcentral/censored/index.html).

R e / S o u r c e s :  The National Coalition Against Censorship (NCAC) has
published a critical "background paper on filters and rating systems for TV
and the Internet;" copies are available both online (www.ncac.org).  Another
overview is provided in GLAAD's report "Access Denied:  The Impact of Internet
Filtering Software on the Lesbian & Gay Community" (www.glaad.org).

Additional contacts:  ACLU National Legal Department, 125 Broad Street, New
York, NY 10004, tel. 212-549-2601, fax 212-549-2651; American Library
Association, 50 E. Huron Street, Chicago, IL 60611, tel. 312-280-4223 or
800-545-2433; Rob Morse, "San Francisco Examiner," P.O. Box 7260, San
Francisco, CA 94120, tel. 415-777-7831, e-mail [email-masked], web
www.sfgate.com.

[2]

G O O D  T E E N ,  B A D  P A R E N T

The April 1998 issue of "Teen" magazine -- which targets a readership of young
women -- includes an article on lesbian parenting, from a straight child's
perspective.  In "I Found Out My Mom Was Gay," Jean Dobbs offers a first-
person account of coming to terms with her mother's homosexuality.  This
largely-affirmative article ranges the gamut of Dobbs' experience, as she
moves from "Finding Out And Feeling Afraid" to "Total Pride."

"Who ever heard of a lesbian who'd been married for 25 years and given birth
to four children?," Dobbs begins by asking her readers.  "Not me," she
answers, "until I found out about my own mother."

"In retrospect," Dobbs writes, "I guess it was pretty obvious what was going
on, but I was 14 and clueless."  She goes on to relate how she first "found
out," and what her immediate feelings were:  "I saw terror.  How could I talk
to my mom about guys?  How could I feel comfortable when she hugged me?  What
if I turned out to be gay too?"

Likely shared by a number of "Teen" readers, these fears are each allayed.
Though she hid the truth from her friends for years, Dobbs explains that --
over time -- "I was able to see that my mom was a happier person as a lesbian:
She was more comfortable, more confident, more herself."

Being a lesbian did not hinder her mother's ability to offer sound support and
advice on everything from boyfriends to birth control.  "Whatever her sexual
preference," Dobbs discovered, "she was still my mom."

"My mom died a few years ago, but in a few weeks my sister and I will accept a
prestigious award for her research and writing," Dobbs concludes.  "And when
we're at the ceremony, I'll feel nothing but pride."  She closes her article
on this poignant (and pertinent) note, which would be well-taken by any of the
magazine's young readers:  "What a shame it would have been if I'd hung onto
my fear about her sexuality.  I would have missed knowing a great woman."

A sidebar to the article -- on "Connecting With Others" -- makes suggestions
for those wanting to know more about "your own sexual identity or that of
someone in your family."  Among other resources, "Teen" readers are referred
to the Gay and Lesbian Hotline (888-843-4564), PFLAG (202-638-4200) and COLAGE
-- Children of Lesbians and Gays Everywhere (415-861-5437).

Magazines like "Teen" have been fairly criticized for promoting material
values that center on fashion, makeup and other commodities sold by ample
pages of advertising.  Despite such dubious content, however, these magazines
also provide an audience of young women -- who might have few if any other
sources -- with fair and accurate messages about sexual orientation (and
sexuality in general).

Not coincidentally, such magazines are increasingly the target of homophobic
censors, particularly in public libraries.  Joan Bertin, executive director of
the National Coalition Against Censorship (NCAC), reports that three magazines
-- "Teen," "Seventeen" and "YM" -- were banned from her daughter's middle
school library.  The Superintendent of Schools in Hauppauge, Long Island said
he removed these periodicals because they were not "appropriate."

"We have a right and an obligation as educators to protect the children from
sexual material that we deem to be age-inappropriate," Superintendent Paul
Lochner argued.  Yet, as Bertin suggests, "Teenage magazines provide accurate
information about sex that some kids want to know but won't ask."

The Long Island ban was instituted after a single parent, and her priest,
complained that the magazines contain "information that goes against what we
believe is the truth about sex."  This local bout is typical of others, now
being waged in school districts across the country.

In response to such attacks, Meridith Berlin -- editor of "Seventeen" --
points out that "magazines like ours belong on the shelves of school libraries
because the No. 1 place where girls get information about sex is teen
magazines."  "They are not getting the information from their parents or their
doctors and they are not getting reliable information from their friends,"
Berlin maintains.  "They need a place where they can get answers given to them
honestly, accurately and without judgment."

NCAC's Joan Bertin puts the case most succinctly:  "The zealots who would take
magazines out of the school library espouse a simplistic world where the right
choices are perfectly obvious.  In fact, that world never existed."

"Banning books and magazines will certainly not help our children face the
world that IS," says Bertin, "or work for the one that SHOULD BE."

**** ACTION ALERT!  Encouraging feedback can be sent to:  Roxanne Camron,
Editor-in-Chief and Popi Buchanan, Associate Editor-Departments, "Teen," P.O.
Box 48990, Los Angeles, CA 90048, tel. 213-782-2950, e-mail
[email-masked].

Send complaints to:  Mark H. Melnick, President, Board of Education and Paul
A. Lochner, Superintendent of Schools, Hauppauge Union Free School District,
600 Town Line Rd., Hauppauge, NY 11788-2836, tel. 265-3630 (ext. 208), fax
265-9546; copy your correspondence to Commissioner of Education, State
Education Department, Education Building, Albany, New York 12234, tel.
518-474-3852, e-mail [email-masked], web www.nysed.gov.

R e / S o u r c e s :  National Coalition Against Censorship, 275 Seventh
Ave., New York, NY tel. 212-807-6222, fax 212-807-6245, e-mail [email-masked],
web www.ncac.org; NCAC's web site includes a copy of the group's compliant
letter to the Hauppauge school district.

Feminists for Free Expression (FFE) is a not-for-profit "group of diverse
feminists working to preserve the individual's right and responsibility to
read, listen, view and produce materials of her choice, without the
intervention of the state 'for her own good.'"  Noting that "censorship has
traditionally been used to silence women and stifle feminist social change,"
the FFE web site includes a "Bibliography of Books Relating to Feminism,
Censorship and Pornography" as well as details on "The Free Speech Pamphlet
Series."  Contact:  FFE, 2525 Times Square Station, New York, NY 10108-2525,
tel. 212-702-6292, e-mail [email-masked], web www.well.com/user/freedom.

"Teen" magazine recommends:  "For links to personal web sites of teens with
gay parents, check out Caitlin's Corner, run by 17-year-old Caitlin Phillips,
who lives with her dad and stepdad" (members.tripod.com/~caitlin-phillips).

[end]

------------------------------------------------------------------------
ABOUT MEDIALERTS

Distributed since 1992 as a community press service, "MEDIAlert!" [TM] is a
weekly action- and advocacy-oriented column series -- featuring media
criticism, briefs and alerts, focused on lesbian, gay and bisexual issues.
Recipients may print, publish or post this material, in whole or part, under
this or any title, without prior permission.  When appropriate, attribution
can be made to "Al Kielwasser" and/or "MEDIAlert!"  File copies of
publications using all or part of any "MEDIAlert!" are always appreciated.
Contact:  MEDIAlert!, 163 Park Street, San Francisco, CA 94110-5835, voice-
mail/fax 415-826-5203, e-mail [email-masked].

------------------------------------------------------------------------
AUTHOR NOTES

Al Kielwasser is the editor of "Gay People, Sex and the Media" (New York:
Haworth Press) and his media criticism and research have appeared widely, in
both popular and academic publications; he was twice elected Chair of the Gay
& Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation/San Francisco Bay Area.

________________________________________

Shape the forces that shape our society . . .
Challenge homophobia in and through the media!
________________________________________

From: MediAction <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 2 May 1998 08:14:18 EDT
Subject: Media/Briefs [C], 5/1/98

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
INDEX:   "MEDIAlert! MEDIA/BRIEFS" [C] - 05.01.98

-ITEM  1:   "Politics Of Perversion" [California State Assembly; X-Stop;
OutProud].
-ITEM  2:   "New Arrival" [Lifetime; Labor of Love].
-ITEM  3:   "Change Of 'Zinery" [San Francisco Chronicle; Arrow; Alternative
Family].
-ITEM  4:   "Coming Attractions" [Cosgrove/Meurer Productions].
-ITEM  5:   "Another Net Threat" [New Mexico; SB-127; Oasis Magazine].
-ITEM  6:   "Veronica's Closet Case" [Veronica's Closet; NBC; National
Enquirer].

NOTE:  Next "MEDIA/BRIEFS" = Friday, May 8
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

M   E   D   I   A    l    e    r    t    !
____________________________

M   E   D   I   A   /   B  R  I  E  F  S

May 1, 1998           Al Kielwasser

[1]

***  POLITICS OF PERVERSION . . . .    Like many state and local governments
across the country, the California State Assembly wants to "save our
children"...  from the Internet.  By a 9-2 vote, the Committee on Local
Government recently passed AB-2350, a bill that would require public libraries
to use blocking software in order to prevent access to "pornographic"
material.

Manufacturers of Internet blocking systems are delighted.  A spokesperson for
the X-Stop corporation said passage of AB-2350 "made it clear that children
are at risk when accessing the Internet in public libraries -- and that they
need to be protected" (Business Wire, April 17).  Opponents of the bill
include the American Civil Liberties Union, League of California Cities, and
California Library Association.

Authored by Peter Frusetta, a Republican from Hollister, AB-2350 must next be
approved by the state's Committee on Information Technology.  "Libraries are a
place for reading and learning, not a place for sexual perversion," said
Frusetta.  "Parents should feel comfortable when they send their kids to the
library."

"Sexual perversion" is a buzzword that often includes ANYTHING having to do
with sexual orientation, however, and critics point out that filtering systems
routinely block access to non-pornographic lesbian, gay and bisexual sites.
Chris Kryzan, executive director of OutProud, has suggested that -- despite a
professed zeal to protect minors -- blocking software can actually be used to
harm "queer and questioning" youth.

For these children, Kryzan said, the Internet is literally a "life line."
According to a survey conducted by OutProud, 40% of "queer youth who thought
of killing themselves" report that "they went online when they were feeling
suicidal to find someone with whom to talk."  More generally, 68 percent of
the respondents said that "being online has helped them to accept their sexual
orientation."  Over 2,000 lesbian, gay and bisexual youth -- as young as 10,
and averaging 18 years of age -- participated in the survey.

C o n t a c t :  California State Assembly, Sacramento, CA 95814, web
www.assembly.ca.gov; Chris Kryzan, Executive Director, OutProud-The National
Coalition for Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual and Transgender Youth, 369-B Third
Street, Suite 362, San Rafael, CA 94901-3581, tel. 415-499-0993, fax
415-499-1013, e-mail [email-masked], web www.outproud.org.

[2]

***   NEW ARRIVAL . . . .    Popularly billed as "television for women," the
Lifetime Cable Network's latest effort is a "Labor of Love" (May 4).  This
made-for-television movie tells the tale of a straight woman who decides to
have her baby with a gay man.  Playing the lead roles are Marcia Gay Harden
and David Marshall, who have appeared together previously in the Broadway
production of "Angels in America."

"Labor of Love" continues Lifetime's (comparatively) good record of fair and
inclusive programming.  Last year, the network's biography series ("Intimate
Portraits") included an admirable profile of lesbian breast cancer advocate
Dr. Susan Love.  Also in 1997, Lifetime presented "Any Mother's Son" -- a
fact-based movie about gay sailor Allen Schindler, who was beaten to death by
his homophobic shipmates.

C o n t a c t :  Rosemary Sykes, Program Director, Lifetime, 309 West 49th
Street, New York, NY 10019-7316, tel. 212-424-7000, fax 212-424-7369 or
212-957-4448, e-mail [email-masked], web www.lifetimetv.com.

[3]

***  CHANGE OF 'ZINERY . . . .    Current trends in queer publishing are
diagnosed by the "San Francisco Chronicle" in a feature headlined:  "Today's
Gay Magazines -- Less Sex, More Families" (April 18).  "If you want to know
where the gay and lesbian civil rights movement is headed, take a look at its
newest publications," says staff writer Elaine Herscher.  "The latest entries
are more marriage- and family-oriented and just plain cuddlier than ever
before."

In particular, Herscher examines two recent entries in the magazine
marketplace:  "Alternative Family" (the first "national parenting magazine for
gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgendered parents and their children") and "Arrow"
("a magazine for monogamous gay men"), which will debut this June.  Noting the
widespread belief that "monogamy" and "homosexual" are mutually exclusive,
Herscher suggests that magazines like "Arrow" are bucking a trend.  "Arrow's"
mission, according to its publishers, is to be "fun, informative and sexy
without being bitchy or sex-obsessed."

"Both magazines represent a palpable shift in the interests of gay men and
women that would have been unthinkable until recently," Herscher concludes.
"Some say it's the gay community leaving its adolescence behind."

"But not everyone is jumping on the gay marriage and family bandwagon," she
also points out.  "National gay movement leader Urvashi Vaid called it 'one of
the ironies of history that today the mainstream of the gay, lesbian, bisexual
and transgender movement focuses more on bolstering traditional, patriarchal
institutions such as marriage, family and monogamy than it does on questioning
their legitimacy.'"  As Herscher notes, "Vaid and others say they are
uncomfortable with the notion that the only way for gays to win acceptance is
to assimilate."

Whether new magazines represent the community's maturity or conformity is
certainly a question worth asking.  Posing this dichotomy as she does,
however, Herscher sidesteps the issue of homophobia -- which has played an
undoubted role in limiting the range of publications available to lesbian and
gay readers.  That more (and more-specialized) magazines can be published
today represents not simply an increase in "the interests of gay men and
women," but a decrease in heterosexist dominion of the press (and public).

Homosexuals have always had a wide range of interests, after all, which have
not been "unthinkable" so much as "unspeakable."  It is not a community's
"adolescence" but society's homophobia that causes the full diversity of
lesbian and gay life to go unspoken or -- even more often -- unheard.

C o n t a c t :  "San Francisco Chronicle," 901 Mission Street, San Francisco,
CA 94103, fax 415-896-1107, e-mail [email-masked], web
www.sfgate.com; "Arrow," 930 Westbourne Drive, #318, West Hollywood, CA 90069,
tel. 310-360-8022, fax 310-360-8023, e-mail [email-masked], web
www.arrowmag.com; "Alternative Family," P.O. Box 7179, Van Nuys, CA 91409,
tel. 818-909-0314, e-mail [email-masked].

[4]

***  COMING ATTRACTIONS . . . .  Cosgrove/Meurer Productions, makers of the
CBS television series "Unsolved Mysteries," recently announced that the
company will be "venturing into feature films."  According to a report from
"Variety" (April 23), one of the first ventures is an un-named movie about "a
gay teen whose mother institutionalizes her."  Currently in development, the
project is being co-produced with Gale Ann Hurd's Pacific Western Company.

C o n t a c t :  Cosgrove/Meurer Productions, 4303 W Verdugo Ave., Burbank, CA
91505, tel. 818-843-5600.

[5]

****  ANOTHER NET THREAT . . . .    A recently-enacted law in New Mexico (SB
127) intends to criminalize any Internet communication deemed "harmful to
minors."  This legislation poses a particular threat to online resources for
lesbian, gay and bisexual minors.  Jeff Walsh, the editor of "Oasis Magazine"
-- a pioneering publication for queer and questioning youth -- has joined with
the ACLU in filing a lawsuit against the state.

"The entire reason 'Oasis' exists online is because I couldn't find resources
like this when I was struggling with my sexuality at a young age," said Walsh.
"Homosexuality wasn't discussed in my home, my school, my community or my
church; I finally accepted myself and changed my life for the better when I
found online resources."

Among other features, "Oasis" offers monthly access to "a physician and AIDS
researcher, who answers questions provided by readers on a variety of sexual
and other health topics."  In addition, over 50 of the magazine's readers --
the youngest of whom is 12 -- write "personal columns about their lives."

C o n t a c t :  Governor Gary E. Johnson, Office of the Governor, State
Capitol Building, Santa Fe, NM 87503, tel. 505-827-3000, e-mail
[email-masked], web www.governor.state.nm.us;  Jeff Walsh, Editor,
"Oasis," web www.oasismag.com.  Information about the lawsuit ("ACLU v.
Johnson") can be accessed through the ACLU Freedom Network, www.aclu.org,
which includes a copy of the complaint and links to plaintiff web sites.

[6]

***  VERONICA'S CLOSET CASE . . . .    Since its debut last September, the NBC
sitcom "Veronica's Closet" has featured a quasi-queer character named Josh --
who is out to everyone but himself.  Though other characters see through his
"forced" heterosexual posing, and even encourage Josh to be openly gay, he has
remained steadfast in denial.

The series closes out the current season with a special two-part episode (May
7), in which Josh actually has sex with a woman "because she accuses him of
being gay."  Reportedly, however, this storyline "sets the stage for Josh to
come out of his own closet -- not Veronica's -- next season."

The "National Enquirer" (March 31) has already predicted that "viewers will be
stunned" by these upcoming plot twists.  NBC's own polling suggests that many
viewers want to see Josh come out, though slightly over 60% harbor some degree
of reservation.

In an online survey (April 24), NBC posed the question:  "Whether he's
struggling to understand the intricacies of professional football or
developing a crush on his girlfriend's brother, Josh seems to be questioning
his own sexuality.  Is it time for Josh to face his true feelings?"

Given four possible answers to choose from, 36% of the respondents supported
the  statement:  "Josh should explore his feelings.  After all, what's there
to be ashamed of?"  A far denser 20% disagreed, and indicated:  "We're all
reading the signals wrong.  Josh isn't in denial and has nothing to explore
whatsoever."

Even though every episode of "Veronica's Closet" is set almost entirely in an
"office" situation, 17% of the viewers believed:  "Josh should explore his
feelings, but not around the office.  He needs to keep his personal and
professional lives separate."  The remaining 27%, either more tolerant or just
equivocal, believed that:  "Josh is still in denial, but he needs more time to
figure out his feelings before approaching anyone."

C o n t a c t :  Kevin Bright, David Crane and Marta Kauffman, Executive
Producers, "Veronica's Closet," Bright/Kauffman/Crane Productions, c/o Warner
Bros. TV, 4000 Warner Blvd., Building 160, Room 750 Burbank, CA 91522, e-mail
[email-masked]; Warren Littlefield, President, NBC Entertainment, 3000
W. Alameda Avenue, Burbank, CA 91523, e-mail [email-masked], web
www.nbc.com.

[end]

------------------------------------------------------------------------
ABOUT MEDIALERTS

Distributed since 1992 as a community press service, "MEDIAlert!" [TM] is a
weekly action- and advocacy-oriented column series -- featuring media
criticism, briefs and alerts, focused on lesbian, gay and bisexual issues.
Recipients may print, publish or post this material, in whole or part, under
this or any title, without prior permission.  When appropriate, attribution
can be made to "Al Kielwasser" and/or "MEDIAlert!"  File copies of
publications using all or part of any "MEDIAlert!" are always appreciated.
Contact:  MEDIAlert!, 163 Park Street, San Francisco, CA 94110-5835, voice-
mail/fax 415-826-5203, e-mail [email-masked].

------------------------------------------------------------------------
AUTHOR NOTES

Al Kielwasser is the editor of "Gay People, Sex and the Media" (New York:
Haworth Press) and his media criticism and research have appeared widely, in
both popular and academic publications; he was twice elected Chair of the Gay
& Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation/San Francisco Bay Area.

________________________________________

Shape the forces that shape our society . . .
Challenge homophobia in and through the media!
________________________________________

From: MediAction <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 2 May 1998 08:14:40 EDT
Subject: Media/Briefs [D], 5/1/98

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
INDEX:   "MEDIAlert! MEDIA/BRIEFS" [D] - 05.01.98

-ITEM  1:   "Mother's Acceptance" [Mother Earth News; Ruralgay.com].
-ITEM  2:   "Child Molesters" [Americans For Truth About Homosexuality].
-ITEM  3:   "The Anti-Gay Agenda" [Uncivil Rites].
-ITEM  4:   "Submit!" [Our Trans Loved Ones].
-ITEM  5:   "E-Media Briefs" [Student Pride].

NOTE:  Next "MEDIA/BRIEFS" = Friday, May 8
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

M   E   D   I   A    l    e    r    t    !
___________________________

M   E   D   I   A  /  B  R  I  E  F  S

May 1, 1998         Al Kielwasser

[1]

***  MOTHER'S ACCEPTANCE . . . .    "Mother Earth News," the nation's largest-
circulation "country living" magazine, initially refused to run a paid
advertisement for Ruralgay.com -- a web site geared to non-urban lesbians and
gay men.  Following a week of protest calls and letters, however, the magazine
has reversed its stand.

In an April 15 letter to Ruralgay.com, a spokesperson for the magazine's
advertising agency informed Rural.com that "your advertisement it is not in
the best interests of our readers."  "This is not a personal rejection," the
letter added.  "Many other ventures are not accepted for the pages of 'Mother
Earth News.'"

In a second letter, on April 24, the magazine discovered that interests better
than homophobia should be served.  "Mother Earth News" confirmed that the
previously rejected ad would now be published in its August/September issue.

"Significant efforts by a lot of unsung heroes got this action reversed," said
David Knudsen, webmaster for Rural.com.  "I am grateful to everyone who sent
e-mails or called the magazine expressing outrage at their initial position."

Launched last year, Rural.com is a site "designed to help gay men and lesbians
in rural areas and small towns connect and end their isolation."  The service
is visited by approximately 250 people each day.

C o n t a c t :  Matthew Scanlon, Editor, "Mother Earth News," 49 East 21st
Street, 11th Floor, New York, NY 10010, tel. 212-260-7210, e-mail
[email-masked] (Maura Mulcahy, Online Editor, e-mail
[email-masked]), web www.motherearthnews.com; David Knudsen, tel.
206-325-7906, e-mail [email-masked], web www.ruralgay.com.

[2]

***  CHILD MOLESTERS . . . .   Dedicated exclusively to creating homophobic
propaganda,  Americans for Truth About Homosexuality (AFTAH) promises -- in
the words of spokesbigot Peter LaBarbera -- "to hold up God-Given morality,
which means NEVER affirming homosexual behavior or identity.  We pledge to do
all we can to oppose the sin movement known as 'gay rights.'"

AFTAH distributes a variety of media products, such as "On Wings Like Eagles"
-- a video recommended for "school presentations" and "youth groups."
According to AFTAH advertising:  "This compelling story of Michael Johnston,
who contracted AIDS through his life as a homosexual, is a MUST SEE for
anybody concerned about the glamorization of homosexuality in our culture."

"After testing positive for HIV, Michael returned to his faith in Christ and
left the homosexual world," AFTAH brags.  "Now he devotes his life to warning
others about the dangers of 'gay pride.'"

Ironically, right-wing homophobes incessantly rail against youth-oriented
media that "promote homosexuality."  Any storybook or videotape that doesn't
treat homosexuality with utter contempt is not only deemed "pro-gay," but part
of a cultural movement intent on perverting America's youth.  Meanwhile, these
same groups are busy pumping out a growing array of media that PROMOTE
HOMOPHOBIA and truly are intended to molest young minds -- with fear, hate and
ignorance.

C o n t a c t :  Americans for Truth, P.O. Box 452525, Washington, DC
20026-5252, tel. 703-491-7975.

[3]

***   THE ANTI-GAY AGENDA . . . .    "Uncivil Rites:  Selections from the
Christian Coalition Siege on City Hall" is a new videotape of interest to
community activists and organizers.  Taped in San Antonio's City Council
chambers, the video features a 30-minute selection of fundamentalist reaction
to a proposed anti-discrimination ordinance -- during which self-identified
Christians "took the opportunity to bash gays and lesbians and promote
fundamentalist dogma on morality and government."  A production of the San
Antonio Log Cabin Club, "Uncivil Rites" promises "a chilling look at the
Christian Coalition at work!"

Copies of the tape are available for a $5 donation; "extensive documentation
of the video and related issues" is also available online, at the San Antonio
LCR web page (home.earthlink.net/~cyclist).

C o n t a c t :  Rob Blanchard, Olmos Park Gardens, 1045 Shook #102-103, San
Antonio, TX 78212-2564, tel. 210-829-4092 or 210-736-8114, e-mail
[email-masked].

[4]

***   SUBMIT! . . . .    The co-chair of PFLAG's Transgender Network, Mary
Boenke, is editing a collection of "writings by parents, siblings, children,
partners and other relatives of trans persons."  "There is no such book
available for trans families," says Boenke, who is also the mother of an FTM
son.  "My working title is 'Our Trans Loved Ones.'"

The family and friends of "TG, TS, CD, inter-sexed and all variations of
gender benders" are invited to contribute either poetry or prose (1000 - 2000
words), which can cover "family reactions, the struggle to learn about and
understand trans issues, your emotional reactions, and dealing with other
relatives or acquaintances"  All submissions should be "positive and accepting
of your loved one's trans nature, but may describe the journey getting to that
place of acceptance."

C o n t a c t :  Mary Boenke, 180 Bailey Blvd., Hardy VA 24101, tel.
540-890-3957, e-mail [email-masked].

[5]

***   E-MEDIA BRIEFS . . . .    A "national network of students working
against homophobia in high schools," Student Pride distributes online news and
announcements through its read-only list service.  To subscribe to the
"Student Pride Alert," simply send an e-mail to:  [email-masked] (with
"SUBSCRIBE STDNTPRIDEALERT" in the body of the message).

[end]

------------------------------------------------------------------------
ABOUT MEDIALERTS

Distributed since 1992 as a community press service, "MEDIAlert!" [TM] is a
weekly action- and advocacy-oriented column series -- featuring media
criticism, briefs and alerts, focused on lesbian, gay and bisexual issues.
Recipients may print, publish or post this material, in whole or part, under
this or any title, without prior permission.  When appropriate, attribution
can be made to "Al Kielwasser" and/or "MEDIAlert!"  File copies of
publications using all or part of any "MEDIAlert!" are always appreciated.
Contact:  MEDIAlert!, 163 Park Street, San Francisco, CA 94110-5835, voice-
mail/fax 415-826-5203, e-mail [email-masked].

------------------------------------------------------------------------
AUTHOR NOTES

Al Kielwasser is the editor of "Gay People, Sex and the Media" (New York:
Haworth Press) and his media criticism and research have appeared widely, in
both popular and academic publications; he was twice elected Chair of the Gay
& Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation/San Francisco Bay Area.

________________________________________

Shape the forces that shape our society . . .
Challenge homophobia in and through the media!
________________________________________

From: MediAction <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 2 May 1998 08:15:12 EDT
Subject: WebWatch [E], 5/1/98

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
INDEX:   "MEDIAlert! WEB WATCH" [E] - 05.01.98

-ITEM  1:   "Zine Heat" [Coffee A Gogo].
-ITEM  2:   "Mind Reading" [Free Your Mind].
-ITEM  3:   "Sexual Organ" [Consenting Adults; Sexual Freedom Coalition].
-ITEM  4:   "Fight Right Site" [Political Research Associates].
-ITEM  5:   "Outrageous" [OutRage!; Sex, Homophobia & Media Lies].
-ITEM  6:   "Advertising For Amateurs" [JustCause].
-ITEM  7:   "Gays, Not Geeks" [TeenPride].
-ITEM  8:   "Union Do's" [Union for Democratic Communications; UDC '98].
-ITEM  9:   "Quality, Not Quantity" [Gay Community News].
-ITEM  10:  "Medianalysis" [MediaCulture Review; Columbia Journalism Review].
-ITEM  11:  "Sad Site" [Mission America; American Reality Check].
-ITEM  12:  "Mad Site" [Westboro Baptist Church; Godhatesfags.com].

NOTE:  Next "WEB WATCH" = Friday, May 8.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

M   E   D   I   A    l    e    r    t    !
___________________________

W    E     B    W    A    T    C    H

May 1, 1998        Al Kielwasser

[1]

***  ZINE HEAT . . . .    "Coffee A Gogo" bills itself as "the magazine for
the thinking homosexual and their friends."  A recent issue offered such
provocative fare as ""Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Porn Star?" and "Why
We Hate Rainbow Anything -- And What About You?"  The zine is fresh perked
every Monday.  [ http://www.coffee-a-gogo.com/ ]

[2]

***  MIND READING . . . .    The co-authors of "Free Your Mind: The Book for
Gay, Lesbian and Bisexual Youth & Their Allies," Ellen Bass and Kate Kaufman,
have created a companion resource on the web.  The Free Your Mind site hopes
"to provide immediate support and information" for youth as well as
supporters, and currently features extended excerpts of the book.  Specific
topics cover a wide (but not shallow) gamut -- ranging from basic advice on
coming out to "detailed guidance for adults who want to make the world a
safer, more welcoming place for lesbian, gay and bisexual youth."  [
http://www.free-mind.com ]

[3]

***  SEXUAL ORGAN . . . .  "Consenting Adults" -- "the organ of the Sexual
Freedom Coalition" -- is a UK-based publication, available free online.
Articles in the current issue include:  "Gay Issues," "Sex Work," "Sex on the
Internet," and "Censorship:  Police Proposals to Classify Porn." [
http://www.sfc.org.uk/adults/ ]

[4]

***  FIGHT-THE-RIGHT SITE . . . .    Political Research Associates (PRA)
"collects and disseminates information on a wide range of authoritarian,
racist, and anti-democratic right-wing political groups and trends."  Unlike
"home pages" maintained by some community organizations, the PRA web site is
MUCH more than a membership brochure or magazine subscription form (though it
is that as well).  The "Activist Resources" alone are worth a visit; other
features include articles, bibliographies, links, calendar listings and more.
[ http://www.publiceye.org/pra/ ]

[5]

***  OUTRAGEOUS . . . .    Based in London, the queer direct-action group
"OutRage!" has a home of the web as well.  The site's Queer Intelligence
Service provides commentary on popular culture, such as "Sex, Homophobia &
Media Lies" -- a plea for professional standards and practices that address
more than the problems of rich, white, dead princesses ("New rules against
press intrusion protect only royalty and the rich," OutRage! suggests.  "We
need new laws to stop media homophobia and dishonest reporting.").

While some features at this site could be more up-to-date, the group's basic
mission is timeless:  "ASSERT the dignity and human rights of queers; FIGHT
homophobia, discrimination and violence directed against us; AFFIRM our right
to sexual freedom, choice and self-determination."  [
http://www.OutRage.cygnet.co.uk ]

[6]

***  ADVERTISING FOR AMATEURS . . . .   Combating prejudice and bigotry
through propaganda campaigns is the work of "JustCause," and this web site
features several examples of pro-social PR.  From artwork to ad copy,
JustCause "invites your ideas, talents and contributions," and also suggests:
"If you see something you like, we encourage you become part of our campaign
by printing several copies and posting them at your school, office or home."
[ http://www.webcom/~justcaus/ ]

[7]

***  GAYS, NOT GEEKS . . . ."TeenPride E-Zine" is a new venture hopes to be
the "hottest electronic magazine written by gay teens, for gay teens.  "NO, we
are not the nerdy kind of electronic magazine," promises TeenPride's
entertainment editor.  "So come check us out!"  [
http://www.crosswinds.net/san-francisco/~teenpride ]

[8]

***  UNION DO'S . .The Union for Democratic Communications (UDC) is a
progressive gathering of "communication researchers, journalists, media
producers, policy analysts and activists," promoting a critical awareness of
the mass media and popular culture.  The "UDC '98 Annual Conference" will take
place on June 11-14, in San Francisco, and highlights of the program include
presentations on "Gay and Lesbian Media Activism" (Jack Banks, Northwestern
University), "Radio That Activates" (Peggy Law, Making Contact) and "Newsroom
Reform" (Elissa Lee, Stanford University).  Complete conference information is
now online.  [ http://www.udc.org ]

[9]

***  QUALITY, NOT QUANTITY . . . .  No longer a newspaper, the "Gay Community
News" has been transformed into a quarterly magazine -- "which still maintains
its high quality," according to University of Pennsylvania media critic Larry
Gross.  "GCN" is published by the Bromfield Street Educational  Foundation,
which also produces the annual OutWrite conference series for lesbian, gay and
bisexual writers.  [ http://www.bsef.org/ ]

[10]

***  MEDIANALYSIS . . . .    "MediaCulture Review" offers a progressive,
weekly "roundup of the best features, commentary, and criticism independent
sources on media, technology, and culture."  Recent highlights include "The
Rise of Solutions Journalism," in which Susan Benesh (Columbia Journalism
Review) suggests that:  "Journalists often write about problems and let others
worry about the solutions.  But recently there have been more examples of
'solutions journalism' -- reporting on efforts that seem to succeed at solving
particular social problems."  [
http://www.mediademocracy.org/MediaCultureReview ]

[11]

***  JUST PLAIN SAD . . . .    Currently, visitors to the "Mission: America"
web site are invited to "try your hand at our American Reality Check, a self-
test that deals with issues covered in our Spring, 1998 newsletter."  Among
the questions (and "right") answers featured in this quiz are:

-1.  "Is bisexuality a biologically determined condition?  (No.  Bisexuality
is pure experimentation, and becomes more prevalent as a society accepts other
forms of sexual deviance, such as homosexuality -- which is also not
genetically determined)."

-2.  "Isn't it true that far fewer homosexuals are involved in pedophilia that
heterosexuals?  (No...  The connection of homosexuality to pedophilia is well-
evidenced for anyone who wants to examine court records, research and the open
writings of gays themselves, who are loud and vociferous in talking and
writing about their affinity for boys)."

-3.  "True or false:  A real Christian never gets involved in politics.
(False.  There is often no better way to show the salvation of Christ than to
talk about what He can save us from -- abortion, homosexuality, goddess
worship and feminism, or pornography)."

An online version of a "Christian" magazine by the same name, "Mission:
America" claims to "cover the tough issues, with thought-provoking features
you won't find in any other publication."  According to its publisher, the
quarterly publication covers "stories the media won't touch....
Homosexuality, rock music, media bias, and sex education."  [
http://atgi.com/missiona/ ]

[12]

***  JUST PLAIN MAD . . . .    With a domain name to match his favorite catch
phrase, "godhatesfags.com" is the homebase of notorious homophobe "Rev." Fred
Phelps and his Westboro Baptist Church (WBC).  According to his web site, WBC
"engages in daily peaceful sidewalk demonstrations opposing the homosexual
lifestyle of soul-damning, nation-destroying filth."

As Phelps further explains:  "We display large, colorful signs containing
Bible words and sentiments, including -- GOD HATES FAGS, FAGS HATE GOD, AIDS
CURES FAGS, THANK GOD FOR AIDS, FAGS BURN IN HELL, NO TEARS FOR QUEERS...
FAG=AIDS=DEATH...  FAGS ARE NATURE FREAKS...  and NO SPECIAL LAWS FOR FAGS,
etc."

"Perceiving the modern militant homosexual movement to pose a clear and
present danger to the survival of  America," he adds, "WBC has conducted some
10,000 such demonstrations during the last five years at homosexual parades
and other events
(including funerals of impenitent sodomites)."

A highlight (lowlight?) of this site is an archive of WBC press releases,
which -- in both substance and style -- are even more crude and lunatic than
the "colorful signs."  [ http://www.godhatesfags.com ]

[end]

------------------------------------------------------------------------
ABOUT MEDIALERTS

Distributed since 1992 as a community press service, "MEDIAlert!" [TM] is a
weekly action- and advocacy-oriented column series -- featuring media
criticism, briefs and alerts, focused on lesbian, gay and bisexual issues.
Recipients may print, publish or post this material, in whole or part, under
this or any title, without prior permission.  When appropriate, attribution
can be made to "Al Kielwasser" and/or "MEDIAlert!"  File copies of
publications using all or part of any "MEDIAlert!" are always appreciated.
Contact:  MEDIAlert!, 163 Park Street, San Francisco, CA 94110-5835, voice-
mail/fax 415-826-5203, e-mail [email-masked].

------------------------------------------------------------------------
AUTHOR NOTES

Al Kielwasser is the editor of "Gay People, Sex and the Media" (New York:
Haworth Press) and his media criticism and research have appeared widely, in
both popular and academic publications; he was twice elected Chair of the Gay
& Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation/San Francisco Bay Area.

________________________________________

Shape the forces that shape our society . . .
Challenge homophobia in and through the media!
________________________________________