Subject: New "Queer" issue of Southern Exposure Magazine
From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2000 21:08:10 EDT

The latest issue of Southern Exposure magazine subtitled `Standing Out! 
Southern Queers Lead a New Movement'  has just been published. 

Southern Exposure is an award-winning journal of politics and culture 
published by the Durham-based Institute for Southern Studies 
(www.i4south.org), a non-profit research and education center working for 
progressive change.

This is only the second time in the magazines's history that an issue has 
been devoted to gays and lesbians in the South. The first =97 `Mint Juleps, 
Wisteria and Queers: Gay and Lesbian Culture in the South' =97 was published in 
1988.

`This issue of Southern Exposure is built on the premise that a queer 
liberation movement can act as an agent to shift power away from those who 
oppress, to those who have historically been oppressed,' writes guest editor 
Kim Diehl, emphasizing that this new movement is about connecting struggles 
for change across race, class and other lines.

`As black men are dragged, Korean Americans shot, white gay men murdered, 
women raped on the job, and children drugged in schools, we can queerlyshape
 
a vision that cleans the air, educates students, cares for theelderly, houses 
the homeless, strengthens the spirits of the depressed, and transforms the 
hearts of those who hate.'

Featured articles in this new issue of Southern Exposure include:
  * Mab Segrest: What's sex got to do with it? A call to progressives;
  * A Report on Gay Civil Rights: Where does your state stand?;
  * It's About Fairness: Lessons from Kentucky's ground-breaking struggle;
  * Trans Guys and Moon Pies: Down-home gender warriors speak out;
  * Family of Freedom Fighters: A candid father-daughter conversation;
  * Plus stories, interviews, and resources for queer activists and allies.

Articles in the regular departments include:
 * News Roundup: Does G.W. Bush have Confederates in his attic?;
 * Features: Why Southerners should care about Seattle;
 * Reviews: Remembering Little Rock; digging The Butchies;
 * Still the South: Dot-com Blues: Dixie's digital divide.

To order `Standing Out,' send $5 a copy ($4 for orders of 10 or more) to: 
Southern Exposure, Institute for Southern Studies, P.O. Box 531, Durham, NC 
27702.

Or you can join the Institute for just $24 a year When you join the Institute 
for Southern Studies, you'll receive a year's worth of the award-winning
 
Southern Exposure magazine. You also support the Institute's research and 
education projects that arm grassroots groups with the information they need  
to create a progressive South.