Subject: Advocate Internet Info File
From: "Todd Ruston" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 1995 16:48:31 -0800

Welcome to The Advocate, The National Gay and Lesbian Newsmagazine.

Thank you for using The Advocate magazine's internet information
server. We hope this automated service helps to make you more aware of
our publication. We developed this service to provide news and
information about upcoming issues, ordering subscriptions, ordering
single copies, advertising information and other items of interest
about The Advocate.

Since 1967, The Advocate has been the magazine of record for the gay 
and lesbian civil rights movement. Our authoritative national and 
international coverage of gay and lesbian issues recently won us the 
prestigious "Editorial Excellence" Award in the news/weekly category 
for the second year in a row, beating out Time and Newsweek in this 
category. In addition to news, every issue contains features, health 
columns, interviews and arts and entertainment coverage to keep you 
informed.

The Advocate is published every two weeks and is available at
thousands of newsstand outlets from coast to coast including most 
B. Dalton, Walden and Crown outlets and at your local gay and lesbian
bookstore. The cover price is $3.95.

TO SUBSCRIBE:
Via the Internet
----------------
Try The Advocate for three issues--free! Send your subscription order 
to "[email-masked]". Include your full postal mailing address in 
the message. You will get the next 3 issues of The Advocate and a 
trial subscription. If you like The Advocate, you'll receive the 
balance of a full year (26 issues) for only $39.97. That's a $62.00 
savings off the newsstand price. If you decide The Advocate is not 
for you, simply return your invoice marked "cancel" and you will owe 
nothing. The three issues are yours to keep.

Note: Outside the U.S., add $30 per year. The Advocate is mailed in 
an opaque plastic wrapper. Please allow 4-6 weeks for the delivery of 
your first issue.

You may also call 1-800-827-0561 Monday through Friday, 7:30am to
10:00pm Central Time, to place your order. The Advocate 800# staff
accept VISA and MasterCard for immediate payment, or you may ask to
be billed. (From outside the United States, call (815) 734-1157, or
write to: The Advocate, Customer Service, P.O. Box 541, Mount Morris,
IL 61054-0541.)

SINGLE COPIES: You may obtain a single copy of the current or recent 
issues by calling our 800# above. Single copies are $3.95 plus $1.05 
postage/handling. Payment must be made on your VISA or MasterCard at 
the time the order is placed. We cannot bill you for single issues.

ADVOCATE E-MAIL ADDRESSES
-------------------------
GENERAL INFO: Our information server can be accessed by mail at 
"[email-masked]" (which you may have done to get this file). This 
is an automated server that responds based on instructions placed in 
the subject line of your e-mail. See the instructions later in this 
file 
for a list of valid commands.

LETTERS TO THE EDITOR: You can send letters to the editor to 
"[email-masked]". Please include your name, address, and 
telephone number so we may verify your identity. Letters without this 
information cannot be published.

NEWS/PRESS RELEASES: Send news releases, story ideas, etc. to 
"[email-masked]".

SUBSCRIPTION ORDERS: Send subscription orders to
"[email-masked]". Include your full postal mailing address. (See
subcription information above.)

SUBSCRIPTION INQUIRIES/CUSTOMER SERVICE PROBLEMS:  We will respond
promptly to questions or problems you have regarding your subscription
to The Advocate or any LPI magazine.  Please include the name of the
magazine, the nature of the request or problem as well as the complete
name, address, city, state and zip code to which the magazine is being
mailed.  Upon request, we will respond via E-mail.  Please include your
E-mail address. Direct E-mail inquiries to the subscription department
at "[email-masked]".  You may also call our toll free customer
service line at 1-800-827-0561, Monday through Friday, 7:30 am to 10:00
pm Central Time.

OTHER: If you are having trouble reaching us, you may send to
"[email-masked]" and we will assist you as best we can.

USING THE INFORMATION SERVER
----------------------------
To request specific information from the information server, send a 
message to [email-masked] with the appropriate command in the 
*subject* line:
 
UPCOMING ISSUES: Get advance information on the next issue of The 
Advocate by sending a message with the command "NEXT ISSUE" in the 
subject line. This file is updated every other Tuesday, when The
Advocate hits the newsstands.

ADVERTISING INFO: Get information on advertising in The Advocate by
sending a message with the command "AD INFO" in the subject line. In
the body of the message, provide your name, company name and
address, phone number, and the product or service you would like to
advertise. One of our advertising representatives will contact you
to discuss the ad options available to you.

INFOSERVER COMMENTS AND FEEDBACK: Your feedback is welcomed. Please
send any comments to [email-masked], with the word "COMMENT" in the
subject line.

GENERAL INFO: A blank subject (or one that doesn't match any of the 
above) will retrieve the current version of this file.
--------------------------------------------------------------------
[General Advocate Internet Information, Rev. 02/23/95]