Subject: Advocate Issue 722 Preview
From: [email-masked] (Todd Ruston)

The Advocate * December 10, 1996 * Issue 722
                        (On Sale November 26)

     * GAY BASHING ON THE INTERNET: THE HATE CRIME OF THE '90s
     
              * NGLTF: A GROUP IN SEARCH OF A MISSION
              
                * ARE WE GAY OR JUST TRANSGENDERED?
                          
                * * *  C O V E R   S T O R Y  * * *

                   THE OTHER SIDE OF GAY MARRIAGE

                         An interview with
                             BOB PARIS

He was half of the couple that symbolized same-sex marriage. But who 
is he now? For the first time since his breakup with Rod Jackson, Bob 
Paris talks about where he's been and where he's going.

                    * * * NEWS & FEATURES * * *

POLITICS: VICTORY FOR THE STATUS QUO
------------------------------------
In the 1996 elections, voters sent the same message on gay issues as 
on everything else: Love you, don't change.

CYBERSPACE: BASHED IN SPACE
---------------------------
Just when you thought it was safe to go back on-line, a wave of
antigay hate crimes hits the Internet.

THE MOVEMENT: GENTLE FORCE
--------------------------
As the National Gay and Lesbian Task Force changes leaders once
again, some critics lament what they see as the group's softer edge.

ACTIVISM: TRANS MISSION
-----------------------
The transgender rights movement is hitting its stride despite 
resistance from some gays and lesbians. 

                      * * * ARTS & MEDIA * * *

THEATER: STAGESTRUCK
--------------------
Humorist and NPR commentator David Sedaris takes his story "The
SantaLand Diaries" to the stage.

MUSIC: FIDDLING ABOUT
---------------------
At age 21 Canada's gay "grunge fiddler" Ashley MacIsaac is flouting
musical traditions and flaunting his sexy good looks.

                      * * * DEPARTMENTS * * *

LETTERS: Susie Bright's film work is a little dim; Democrats get 
hooked on gay baiting.

AGENDA: Amanda Bearse is linked to a lesbian custody battle...San 
Francisco passes landmark legislation for gays.

ADVCOATE POLL: Should gays and lesbians take up the cause of 
transgender rights?

VIEWPOINT: Judy Nelson says breaking up is hard to do-especially when 
one or both of the parting partners is in the public eye.

LAST-MINUTE GIFT GUIDE: All things come to those who wait? When it
comes to holiday shopping, our annual guide proves the adage true.

BREAKING SILENCE: Janis Ian joins in a time-honored lesbian 
tradition: couples therapy.

REVIEWS: Courtney Love acts the pants off Larry Flynt...Alvin Ailey
and Robert Joffrey soar in dueling biographies...Frasier's Edward
Hibbert shares gay recipes.

LAST WORD: Gabriel Rotello ponders evidence that all gay people are 
"transgendered."

On the cover: Bob Paris photographed by David Jensen for The Advocate
---------------------------------------------------------------------
This issue goes on sale November 26, 1996 at your local newsstand or 
bookstore.

Try The Advocate for three issues--free!
----------------------------------------
Send your subscription order via e-mail to "[email-masked]".
Include your full postal mailing address in the message. You will
get the next 3 issues of The Advocate and a trial subscription. If
you like The Advocate, you'll receive the balance of a full year (26
issues) for only $39.97. That's a $62.00 savings off the newsstand
price. If you decide The Advocate is not for you, simply return your
invoice marked "cancel" and you will owe nothing. The three issues
are yours to keep.

Or you may call (800) 827-0561, Monday through Friday, 7:30am to
10:00pm Central Time. Outside the U.S., add $30 per year. The
Advocate is mailed in an opaque envelope.

--= Check out The Advocate's Web site at http://www.advocate.com !=--

Copyright 1996 Liberation Publications Inc. All rights reserved.
Used with permission. This file may be duplicated and distributed for
non-commercial purposes if it is duplicated in its entirety and this
notice is included in the file.