Subject: Advocate Issue 721 Preview
From: [email-masked] (Todd Ruston)

The Advocate * November 26, 1996 * Issue 721
                        (On Sale November 12)

           * WILL FRIENDS' CHANDLER TRY TO COME OUT NEXT?
                          
                * * *  C O V E R   S T O R Y  * * *

                         SHATTERED FAMILIES

For the first time, Sharon Bottoms talks about having to give up her
son, Tyler. The future of gay and lesbian child custody battles may
hang in the balance. While Bottoms and April Wade resign themselves
to a life without 5-year-old Tyler, others fight on. Many gay and
lesbian families fall victim to prejudice, even when the law is on
their side.

                    * * * NEWS & FEATURES * * *

FAMILIES: TWO MOMMIES MINUS ONE
-------------------------------
If a lesbian mother has to fight for visitation rights, her opponent
could well be another lesbian-her ex.

AIDS: THEY'VE GOT A LITTLE LIST
-------------------------------
A Florida scandal highlights the hazards of a growing trend: Public
health authorities want to know just who has HIV.

LAW: WHAT HARASSMENT?
---------------------
Sexual harassment has become a national obsession-but when it occurs 
between members of the same sex, courts are ill-equipped to cope.

CRIME: FOR SHAME
----------------
Just how humiliating is a homosexual hug? Jurors at the Jenny Jones 
murder trial were asked to decide.

                      * * * ARTS & MEDIA * * *

MUSIC: PIZZICATO AND PROUD
--------------------------
From Pyotr Tchaikovsky to John Corigliano, gay and lesbian classical 
composers and musicians have set the tempo in this most sublime of art 
forms.

CINEMA: PILGRIM'S PROGRESS
--------------------------
Gay director Nicholas Hytner jumps out of The Madness of King George
and into The Crucible.

TELEVISION: A FRIEND OF DOROTHY'S?
----------------------------------
So what's really up with Friends' Chandler Bing? Now that TV
characters seem to be popping out of the closet, is he next? Or are
we just wishing on a star?

                      * * * DEPARTMENTS * * *

LETTERS: Log Cabin Republicans just don't get it; the Globe's outing 
of Chad Allen is a new low.

AGENDA: A book about Michael Jackson has straights flocking to gay 
bookstores...San Francisco is the scene of a riotous AIDS 
protest...Some Texans aim to get a lesbian sheriff.

ADVOCATE POLL: Should states be allowed to keep a list of names of 
people infected with HIV?

VIEWPOINT: Michael Willhoite eyes a pair of lesbian mothers with 
admiration-and a shred of doubt.

NOTES FROM A BLOND: Bruce Vilanch discusses the benefits of
benefits.

REVIEWS: Barry Walters on Pete Townshend...Torie Osborn on k.d. 
lang...Howard Stern's in drag-again!

LAST WORD: Lillian Faderman finds out how it feels to be in the 
sexual-orientation majority.

On the cover: Sharon Bottoms photographed by Klaus Schoenwiese for The 
Advocate
---------------------------------------------------------------------
This issue goes on sale November 12, 1996 at your local newsstand or 
bookstore.

Try The Advocate for three issues--free!
----------------------------------------
Send your subscription order via e-mail to "[email-masked]".
Include your full postal mailing address in the message. You will
get the next 3 issues of The Advocate and a trial subscription. If
you like The Advocate, you'll receive the balance of a full year (26
issues) for only $39.97. That's a $62.00 savings off the newsstand
price. If you decide The Advocate is not for you, simply return your
invoice marked "cancel" and you will owe nothing. The three issues
are yours to keep.

Or you may call (800) 827-0561, Monday through Friday, 7:30am to
10:00pm Central Time. Outside the U.S., add $30 per year. The
Advocate is mailed in an opaque envelope.

--= Check out The Advocate's Web site at http://www.advocate.com !=--

Copyright 1996 Liberation Publications Inc. All rights reserved.
Used with permission. This file may be duplicated and distributed for
non-commercial purposes if it is duplicated in its entirety and this
notice is included in the file.