Subject: Advocate Issue 696 Preview
From: "Todd Ruston" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 1995 14:06:56 -0800

The Advocate * December 12, 1995 * Issue 696
                        (On Sale November 28)

                       * FOREST WHITAKER TALKS
             
                          * BIPOLAR LESBIAN
                
                          * THE END OF MAINE
                          
              * IN THE TRENCHES WITH CLINTON'S AIDS CZAR
                     
                 * * *  C O V E R   S T O R Y  * * *

                         Exclusive Interview
                           THE NEW MARTINA
                            A single life

Martina Navratilova may be backing off from tennis these days, but
she's taking that championship energy and putting it into the new
goals of her life: love, health, and happiness. And, as The Advocate's
Suzanne Westenhoefer learns, we ain't seen nothing yet.

ELECTIONS: VIRTUAL EQUALITY
---------------------------
Maine voters turn away an antigay ballot measure that had heavy backing 
from the religious right. But the fight isn't over: The state 
legislature will likely consider a gay rights bill in 1996.

POLITICS: ROBERTA'S NOT-SO-EXCELLENT ADVENTURE
----------------------------------------------
Roberta Achtenberg fails in her bid to become San Francisco's first 
lesbian mayor--and her quick endorsement of a rival opens up a rift 
between her and some of her former supporters.

AIDS: SHE'S DANCING AS FAST AS SHE CAN
--------------------------------------
After a year as President Clinton's second AIDS czar, Patricia Fleming
must defend her record--and that of the Administration--to the
Presidential Advisory Council on HIV/AIDS when it meets in December.

PEOPLE: POLE STAR
-----------------
A lesbian explorer takes the message of gay pride to the ends of the 
earth.

CINEMA: HIS BRILLIANT CAREER
----------------------------
Forest Whitaker leaves his gay roles in The Crying Game and Ready to
Wear behind for a chance to direct Whitney Houston and Angela Bassett
in Waiting to Exhale.

BONUS SECTION: THE PROCRASTINATION PRINCIPLE
--------------------------------------------
Turn to our annual last-minute gift guide for help in making your
just-under-the-wire holiday selections. The perfect present is just a
phone call away.

DEPARTMENTS
-----------
Letters
Agenda
Advocate Poll
Viewpoint: Phill Wilson
Your Health: Gary R. Cohan, MD
Breaking Silence: Janis Ian
Reviews
The Buzz
Last Word: Gabriel Rotello

ON THE COVER: Martina Navratilova photographed by Greg Gorman
-----------------------------------------------------------------
This issue goes on sale November 28, 1995 at your local newsstand or 
bookstore.

Try The Advocate for three issues--free!
----------------------------------------
Send your subscription order via e-mail to "[email-masked]".
Include your full postal mailing address in the message. You will get
the next 3 issues of The Advocate and a trial subscription. If you like
The Advocate, you'll receive the balance of a full year (26 issues) for
only $39.97. That's a $62.00 savings off the newsstand price. If you
decide The Advocate is not for you, simply return your invoice marked
"cancel" and you will owe nothing. The three issues are yours to keep.

Or you may call (800) 827-0561, Monday through Friday, 7:30am to
10:00pm Central Time. Outside the U.S., add $30 per year. The
Advocate is mailed in an opaque plastic wrapper.

Copyright 1995 Liberation Publications Inc. All rights reserved. Used
with permission. This file may be duplicated and distributed for non-
commercial purposes if it is duplicated in its entirety and this
notice is included in the file.