Subject: Advocate Issue 693 Preview
From: "Todd Ruston" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 03 Oct 1995 18:05:23

The Advocate * October 31, 1995 * Issue 693
                        (On Sale October 17)

                   * CAMILLE PAGLIA ON CALVIN KLEIN
             
                * SPIKE LEE ON HOLLYWOOD'S HOMOPHOBIA
                
      * IN WASHINGTON WITH CLINTON'S POINT PERSON ON GAY ISSUES
                     
                 * * *  C O V E R   S T O R Y  * * *

                              GORE FEST
                           In Vidal veritas

On his 70th birthday, author Gore Vidal gives us everything he's got

        o A revealing interview on life, lies, lust, and loss
              o Exclusive photographs of his first love
     o An excerpt from the candid memoir he vowed never to write

Novelist, playwright, screenwriter, congressional candidate, actor,
and activist--Eugene Gore Vidal Jr. has done and written about it all.
In this exclusive interview for the release of his first memoir,
Palimpsest, he presents his fiery views on labeling, bisexuality,
monogamy, AIDS, loving, and fighting.

Excerpt: In a haunting passage from the newly released Palimpsest,
Vidal reveals his fragile but eternally binding relationship with
Jimmie Trimble, the lost love of his life.

                               *  *  *

LAW: NO STROLL THROUGH DOLLYWOOD
--------------------------------
It's not every day that residents of rural Tennessee encounter a gay
S/M murder trial--and that, some say, is why James Young's conviction
is a miscarriage of justice.

WASHINGTON: MEDICAID ALERT
--------------------------
Last-minute maneuvering helps safeguard people with AIDS who were 
threatened by a proposed restructuring of the medicaid program.

POLITICS: REHABILITATING BILL
-----------------------------
In an interview White House liaison to gays Marsha Scott seeks to
repair President Clinton's reputation with gay men and lesbians.

CINEMA: HE'S GOTTA HAVE IT
--------------------------
In the films of director Spike Lee, gay men and lesbians are either
absent or insulted. But does that mean Lee is homophobic? In a rare
conversation with the gay press, Lee says no--he's just reporting life
as it is.

DEPARTMENTS
-----------
Letters
Agenda
Advocate Poll
Viewpoint: Bob Bauman
Your Business: Christian Arthur Bain
Notes From a Blond: Bruce Vilanch
Reviews
The Buzz
Last Word: Camille Paglia

ON THE COVER: Gore Vidal photographed by Klaus Schoenwiese for The
Advocate
-----------------------------------------------------------------
This issue goes on sale October 17, 1995 at your local newsstand or 
bookstore.

Try The Advocate for three issues--free!
----------------------------------------
Send your subscription order via e-mail to "[email-masked]".
Include your full postal mailing address in the message. You will get
the next 3 issues of The Advocate and a trial subscription. If you like
The Advocate, you'll receive the balance of a full year (26 issues) for
only $39.97. That's a $62.00 savings off the newsstand price. If you
decide The Advocate is not for you, simply return your invoice marked
"cancel" and you will owe nothing. The three issues are yours to keep.

Or you may call (800) 827-0561, Monday through Friday, 7:30am to
10:00pm Central Time. Outside the U.S., add $30 per year. The
Advocate is mailed in an opaque plastic wrapper.

Copyright 1995 Liberation Publications Inc. All rights reserved. Used
with permission. This file may be duplicated and distributed for non-
commercial purposes if it is duplicated in its entirety and this
notice is included in the file.