Subject: Advocate Issue 692 Preview
From: "Todd Ruston" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 1995 10:21:20 -0800

The Advocate * October 17, 1995 * Issue 692
                        (On Sale October 3)

                           * IAN ON WIMMIN
             
                        * ROTELLO ON ORAL SEX
                     
                         * BONO ON COMING OUT

                 * * *  C O V E R   S T O R Y  * * *

                             THE PLAYERS
                   Behind the scenes in Washington 
                      with gay U.S. congressmen 
           Barney Frank, Steve Gunderson, and Gerry Studds.
                 
A tough-talking Bostonian, a mild-mannered Midwesterner, and a former
New England prep school teacher: The three openly gay members of
Congress are a study in contrasts. When they get together for the first
time for a candid, sometimes contentious discussion, sparks fly on
everything from love to Newt. 

CONTROVERSY: SCHOOL DAZE
------------------------
As the fight over school curricula intensifies, it's no coincidence 
that the loudest conflicts have erupted in two key primary states for 
the 1996 presidential campaign. 

INTERNATIONAL: BUST IN BEIJING
------------------------------
Lesbians at the United Nations conference on women lost the battle
over the "Platform for Action" but say they're still winning the war.

LAW: BULGING BRIEFS
-------------------
Legal arguments against Colorado's Amendment 2 are legion--but
opponents can't agree on the best to use before the Supreme Court.

POLITICS: RACE MATTERS
----------------------
Official endorsements suggest Willie Brown is successfully courting
the gay vote in San Francisco's mayoral race--but African-American
lesbians and gays are still divided.

PROFILE: COMING OUT, LASHING BACK
---------------------------------
Indignation at antigay remarks in Congress persuaded the nation's only
openly gay statewide elected official that it was time to come out.

BOOKS: WICKED WRITER
--------------------
Gay author Gregory Maguire turns The Wizard of Oz into Wicked, a new 
novel on evil, ostracism, and a witch who's just misunderstood.

DEPARTMENTS
-----------
Letters
Agenda
Advocate Poll
Viewpoint: Chastity Bono
Your Health: Gary R. Cohan, MD
Breaking Silence: Janis Ian
Reviews
The Buzz
Last Word: Gabriel Rotello

ON THE COVER: Congressmen Barney Frank, Steve Gunderson, and Gerry
Studds photographed by Vincent Ricardel for The Advocate
-----------------------------------------------------------------
This issue goes on sale October 3, 1995 at your local newsstand or 
bookstore.

Try The Advocate for three issues--free!
----------------------------------------
Send your subscription order via e-mail to "[email-masked]".
Include your full postal mailing address in the message. You will get
the next 3 issues of The Advocate and a trial subscription. If you like
The Advocate, you'll receive the balance of a full year (26 issues) for
only $39.97. That's a $62.00 savings off the newsstand price. If you
decide The Advocate is not for you, simply return your invoice marked
"cancel" and you will owe nothing. The three issues are yours to keep.

Or you may call (800) 827-0561, Monday through Friday, 7:30am to
10:00pm Central Time. Outside the U.S., add $30 per year. The
Advocate is mailed in an opaque plastic wrapper.

Copyright 1995 Liberation Publications Inc. All rights reserved. Used
with permission. This file may be duplicated and distributed for non-
commercial purposes if it is duplicated in its entirety and this
notice is included in the file.