Subject: Advocate Issue 691 Preview
From: "Todd Ruston" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 05 Sep 1995 18:50:52

The Advocate * October 3, 1995 * Issue 689
                        (On Sale September 19)

                        * RUGBY'S BIG GAY STAR
             
                         * ROBBERS WITH AIDS
                     
                       * DOLE'S LOG CABIN SNUB

                 * * *  C O V E R   S T O R Y  * * *

                        THE RETURN OF URVASHI
                          Woman on the Verge

With no other gay leaders in sight, is Urvashi Vaid the answer? Three
years after leaving the Washington, D.C., political scene, former
NGLTF head Urvashi Vaid is back with a weighty treatise on gay
activism.

BOOK EXCERPT
------------
In her book, Virtual Equality: The Mainstreaming of Gay & Lesbian 
Liberation, Urvashi Vaid lists 11 actions budding gay rights activists 
can take to advance their cause.

POLITICS
--------
When Los Angeles mayor Richard Riordan took office two years ago, the 
city's gays and lesbians saw him as their worst nightmare. But now many 
say he's a dream come true.

AND

Los Angeles's gay chief operating officer, Michael Keeley, is never 
far from the center of controversy.

THE '96 CAMPAIGN: DOLE RASPBERRY
--------------------------------
Sen. Bob Dole's snub of the Log Cabin Republicans undermines the gay 
group's clout within the party.

THE MOVEMENT: TROUBLE WITH THE EX
---------------------------------
As new Victory Fund head David Clarenbach gears up for a nationwide 
tour, he's dogged by uncomfortable questions about his past.

CRIME: DESPERATE LIVING
-----------------------
Italy's notorious AIDS gang talks about stalled pensions, bad health 
care, and bank robbery.

BUSINESS: BIG M.A.C.
--------------------
When a cutting-edge cosmetics company picked a man to be its cover 
girl, was there hell to pay?

SPORTS: MISTER ROBERTS
----------------------
Australian rugby star Ian Roberts comes out as gay in an exclusive 
Advocate interview.

DEPARTMENTS
-----------
Letters
Agenda
Advocate Poll
Viewpoint: Craig Lucas
Your Business: Sue Spielman
Notes From a Blond: Bruce Vilanch
Reviews
The Buzz
Last Word: Patricia Nell Warren

ON THE COVER: Urvashi Vaid photographed by Klaus Schoenwiese for The 
Advocate
-----------------------------------------------------------------
This issue goes on sale September 19, 1995 at your local newsstand or 
bookstore.

Try The Advocate for three issues--free!
----------------------------------------
Send your subscription order via e-mail to "[email-masked]".
Include your full postal mailing address in the message. You will get
the next 3 issues of The Advocate and a trial subscription. If you like
The Advocate, you'll receive the balance of a full year (26 issues) for
only $39.97. That's a $62.00 savings off the newsstand price. If you
decide The Advocate is not for you, simply return your invoice marked
"cancel" and you will owe nothing. The three issues are yours to keep.

Or you may call (800) 827-0561, Monday through Friday, 7:30am to
10:00pm Central Time. Outside the U.S., add $30 per year. The
Advocate is mailed in an opaque plastic wrapper.

Copyright 1995 Liberation Publications Inc. All rights reserved. Used
with permission. This file may be duplicated and distributed for non-
commercial purposes if it is duplicated in its entirety and this
notice is included in the file.