Subject: Advocate Issue 690 Preview
From: "Todd Ruston" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 1995 9:15:02 -0800

The Advocate * September 19, 1995 * Issue 690
                         (On Sale September 5)

                     SPECIAL FALL PREVIEW ISSUE 
                What's hot (and gay) in entertainment

                        AUTUMN OFFERINGS FROM
                    George C. Wolfe, Linda Perry, 
                   Paul Verhoeven, Jenifer Lewis, 
                      Andrew Sullivan, and more

                 * * *  C O V E R   S T O R Y  * * *

                         EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW
                        Oscar-winning actress
                            EMMA THOMPSON

Emma Thompson talks about Carrington and being raised by, loving, and
working with gay men. Then there are her lesbian films.

MUSIC
-----
Linda Perry is well over 4 Non Blondes and happily on her way to a 
tough new solo album and her own rock record label.

BOOKS
-----
Andrew Sullivan's book Virtually Normal is bound to lift the 
controversy he's stirred up at The New Republic to new heights.

TELEVISION
----------
Jenifer Lewis laughs and frets about taking on the role of a black
lesbian judge in the new TV drama series Courthouse.

CINEMA
------
Paul Verhoeven braces himself for another storm over his upcoming 
Showgirls. Those who freaked over Basic Instinct, beware.

THEATER
-------
George C. Wolfe carries his black and gay heritage proudly as he 
directs The Tempest and preps a new Tony Kushner play. 

DEPARTMENTS
-----------
Letters
Agenda
Viewpoint: Maria Maggenti
Your Health: Katherine A. O'Hanlan, MD
Breaking Silence: Janis Ian
Reviews
The Buzz
Last Word: Bruce Bawer

ON THE COVER: Emma Thompson photographed by Andrew MacPherson
-----------------------------------------------------------------
This issue goes on sale September 5, 1995 at your local newsstand or 
bookstore.

Try The Advocate for three issues--free!
----------------------------------------
Send your subscription order via e-mail to "[email-masked]".
Include your full postal mailing address in the message. You will get
the next 3 issues of The Advocate and a trial subscription. If you like
The Advocate, you'll receive the balance of a full year (26 issues) for
only $39.97. That's a $62.00 savings off the newsstand price. If you
decide The Advocate is not for you, simply return your invoice marked
"cancel" and you will owe nothing. The three issues are yours to keep.

Or you may call (800) 827-0561, Monday through Friday, 7:30am to
10:00pm Central Time. Outside the U.S., add $30 per year. The
Advocate is mailed in an opaque plastic wrapper.

Copyright 1995 Liberation Publications Inc. All rights reserved. Used
with permission. This file may be duplicated and distributed for non-
commercial purposes if it is duplicated in its entirety and this
notice is included in the file.