Subject: Advocate Issue 689 Preview
From: "Todd Ruston" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 09 Aug 1995 14:08:19

The Advocate * September 5, 1995 * Issue 689
                         (On Sale August 22)

                       * THE LESBIAN O.J. JUROR
             
                          * BABOONS AND AIDS
                     
                       * BRUCE VILANCH ON LANA

                 * * *  C O V E R   S T O R Y  * * *

                            PATRICK SWAYZE
                           IF THE SHOE FITS

For Patrick Swayze, his role in Universal's drag pic "To Wong Foo,
Thanks For Everything, Julie Newmar" is more than an opportunity to
camp it up--it's a chance to bring his mothering, feminine side to the
surface. It's also his chance to look like someone he'd want to sleep
with.

ACTIVISM: THE MAINE EVENT
-------------------------
Gay rights activists in Maine gear up for the fight of their lives
after a referendum prohibiting gay rights laws qualifies for the
November ballot.

INTERNATIONAL: MUGGED BY MUGABE
-------------------------------
Though renowned as a freedom fighter, Zimbabwe president Robert Mugabe
lets loose with an antigay tirade at an international book fair.

POLITICS: THE GLITZ FACTOR
--------------------------
Looking for media exposure, candidates in San Francisco's mayoral race
import some big names.

MEDIA: OUT ON THE O.J. JURY
---------------------------
Is there a lesbian among the 12 ordinary people who will decide O.J. 
Simpson's fate? A dismissed juror says there is.

CRIME: MANHATTAN MURDER MYSTERY
-------------------------------
Richard Greenberg's violent murder in New York City remained unsolved 
for over a decade until a deathbed confession helped convict William 
Seals of the crime.

SCIENCE: MONKEY BUSINESS
------------------------
The Food and Drug Administration gives the green light to the 
experimental transfer of bone marrow from a baboon to an AIDS patient.

WASHINGTON: NAME-DROPPING
-------------------------
In a newly published book, former Reagan administration muck-a-muck
Scott Thompson burns his bridges with the Republican power elite by
identifying closeted gays among his former bosses.

CINEMA: BOUND FOR GLORY
-----------------------
For Showgirls' Gina Gershon and Bullets Over Broadway's Jennifer Tilly, 
playing white-hot lesbian lovers in the new crime thriller Bound was 
easy--especially with Susie Bright's help.

DEPARTMENTS
-----------
Letters
Agenda
Viewpoint: Lillian Faderman
Your Business: Christian Arthur Bain
Notes From a Blond: Bruce Vilanch
Reviews
The Buzz
Last Word: Camille Paglia

ON THE COVER: Patrick Swayze photographed by Blake Little/Sygma for
The Advocate. Styling by Tim Chappel. Grooming by Maria Carter.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
This issue goes on sale August 22, 1995 at your local newsstand or 
bookstore.

Try The Advocate for three issues--free!
----------------------------------------
Send your subscription order via e-mail to "[email-masked]".
Include your full postal mailing address in the message. You will get
the next 3 issues of The Advocate and a trial subscription. If you like
The Advocate, you'll receive the balance of a full year (26 issues) for
only $39.97. That's a $62.00 savings off the newsstand price. If you
decide The Advocate is not for you, simply return your invoice marked
"cancel" and you will owe nothing. The three issues are yours to keep.

Or you may call (800) 827-0561, Monday through Friday, 7:30am to
10:00pm Central Time. Outside the U.S., add $30 per year. The
Advocate is mailed in an opaque plastic wrapper.

Copyright 1995 Liberation Publications Inc. All rights reserved. Used
with permission. This file may be duplicated and distributed for non-
commercial purposes if it is duplicated in its entirety and this
notice is included in the file.