Subject: Advocate Issue 687/688 Preview
From: "Todd Ruston" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 1995 9:23:14 -0800

The Advocate * August 22, 1995 * Issue 687/688
                           (On Sale July 25)

                   * * * SPECIAL DOUBLE ISSUE * * *
                           SEX & SEXUALITY

                    * LESBIAN SEX SURVEY RESULTS 

                     Plus sexy conversation with 
             Joycelyn Elders, Scott Bakula, Larry Flynt, 
             Gennifer Flowers,  Harold Robbins, and more

                 * * *  C O V E R   S T O R Y  * * * 

                          FRIEND OF JEFFREY
                     An exclusive interview with 
                           PATRICK STEWART

Patrick Stewart, Captain Picard on Star Trek: The Next Generation,
trades in his spaceship adventures for the earthly delights of playing
gay in Jeffrey. Along the way he's learned some interesting things
about Picard's hidden sexuality--not to mention his own.

                                * * *

SEX &...
--------
PEOPLE: CAN WE TALK?
Whenever celebs decide to reveal intimacies about their lives, The 
Advocate has its ear to the ground.

SCIENCE: WOMEN ON TOP
Find out if your beliefs about lesbian sex are true or stereotypical.
The results of our annual sex survey are in.

MUSIC: DOWN THE RABBIT HOLE
Composer David Del Tredici reveals the dark sexual side behind his 
fairy-tale music.

MEDICINE: SIZE AND WHISPERS
Penis-enlargement surgery is growing more common, but not all who
resort to it are satisfied customers.

POLITICS: GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
Former surgeon general Joycelyn Elders, canned for straight talk on 
sexual issues, reflects on her stint as the right wing's favorite 
punching bag. 

ENTERTAINMENT: QUANTUM SEX APPEAL
With his hot looks and cool charm, Scott Bakula already has thousands
of fans. Now the Quantum Leap star proves horror can be sexy in gay
director Clive Barker's shocking new film, Lord of Illusions.

CONTROVERSY: THE THORN BIRD
In her book Passion and Betrayal, Gennifer Flowers confronts President 
Clinton with rumors that his wife is a lesbian. In this exclusive 
interview Flowers stands by what she wrote.

                                * * *

SPECIAL REPORT: SEX & CENSORSHIP
--------------------------------
Just about everyone has sex. So why are some of us so scared of reading 
about it?

GETTING OUT THE KINKS
Prosecutors are reducing porn's 31 flavors to just one: vanilla.

PORN'S GREAT PROTECTOR
Hustler publisher Larry Flynt takes on just about everybody.

THE ADVENTURER
For best-selling author Harold Robbins, sex is a way of life.

                                * * *
DEPARTMENTS
-----------
From the Editor in Chief
Viewpoint: Shere Hite
Breaking Silence: Janis Ian
Reviews
Last Word: Gabriel Rotello

ON THE COVER: Patrick Stewart photographed by Bonnie Schiffman/Onyx

-----------------------------------------------------------------
This issue goes on sale July 25, 1995 at your local newsstand or 
bookstore.

Try The Advocate for three issues--free!
----------------------------------------
Send your subscription order via e-mail to "[email-masked]".
Include your full postal mailing address in the message. You will get
the next 3 issues of The Advocate and a trial subscription. If you like
The Advocate, you'll receive the balance of a full year (26 issues) for
only $39.97. That's a $62.00 savings off the newsstand price. If you
decide The Advocate is not for you, simply return your invoice marked
"cancel" and you will owe nothing. The three issues are yours to keep.

Or you may call (800) 827-0561, Monday through Friday, 7:30am to
10:00pm Central Time. Outside the U.S., add $30 per year. The
Advocate is mailed in an opaque plastic wrapper.

Copyright 1995 Liberation Publications Inc. All rights reserved. Used
with permission. This file may be duplicated and distributed for non-
commercial purposes if it is duplicated in its entirety and this
notice is included in the file.