Subject: Advocate Issue 685 Preview (Correction)
From: "Todd Ruston" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 1995 16:53:45 -0800

The Advocate * July 11, 1995 * Issue 685
                           (On Sale June 27)

                           * VERSACE SPEAKS
             
                        * JANET RENO BACKS OFF
                     
                          * GUNDERSON GRIPES

                 * * *  C O V E R   S T O R Y  * * *

                              EXCLUSIVE
                 CONFESSIONS OF A PLAYGIRL CENTERFOLD

Playgirl man of the year Dirk Shafer uncovers the gay side of America's
most famous women's magazine. When Dirk Shafer became Playgirl's 1992
Man of the Year, he was thrilled, except for one thing: How could he
tell all the women lusting after him that he's gay? Did Playgirl know
or care? Shafer finally bares all in The Advocate and in his upcoming
feature film, Man of the Year.

                               *  *  *

SPECIAL REPORT: HATE CRIME
--------------------------
BLOW BY BLOW
What's it like to be a victim? A chilling, detailed account of one
gay-bashing incident anatomizes antigay violence from its origins to
its legal aftermath.

OVERKILL
The increasing brutality of antigay hate crimes suggests they are
driven by homophobic rage--a rage that appears to be growing stronger
and deadlier every day.

CRIME BUSTERS
Aggressive, dedicated state's attorneys and police departments show 
their fitness for the prosecution of antigay crimes with innovative 
programs. 

UNDERCOVER
Murder will out--as in the unsolved case of a Las Vegas pilot who
lived two lives under different names and whose second identity may
have been the cause of his death.

                               *  *  *

POLITICS: RENO'S RETREAT
------------------------
Attorney General Janet Reno's refusal to involve the Justice
Department in a prominent gay rights case means more hot water for the
Clinton administration.

WASHINGTON: GUNDERSON'S GRIPE
-----------------------------
Openly gay congressman Steve Gunderson tears into White House AIDS
czar Patricia Fleming over proposed medicaid cuts.

INTERNATIONAL: CRAZED IN CANADA
-------------------------------
A child-porn probe in a small city in Ontario turns into an antigay 
witch-hunt--and there's no end in sight.

THE MOVEMENT: HEAD OF THE PARADE
--------------------------------
Can one man single-handedly launch a first-ever gay pride celebration
in Toledo, Ohio? Not without ruffling a lot of feathers.

FASHION: FANTASY WITHOUT TIES
-----------------------------
Italian designer Gianni Versace has a beautiful new book, a sexy fall
fashion campaign, and an easygoing attitude about his male "companion"
of ten years.

DEPARTMENTS
-----------
Letters
Agenda
Viewpoint: Quentin Crisp
Your Business: Per Larson
Reviews
Breaking Silence: Janis Ian
The Buzz
Last Word: Bruce Bawer

ON THE COVER: Dirk Shafer photographed by Douglas Cloutier for The
Advocate. Grooming by Kevin Scott/Cloutier L.A.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
This issue goes on sale June 27, 1995 at your local newsstand or 
bookstore.

Try The Advocate for three issues--free!
----------------------------------------
Send your subscription order via e-mail to "[email-masked]".
Include your full postal mailing address in the message. You will get
the next 3 issues of The Advocate and a trial subscription. If you like
The Advocate, you'll receive the balance of a full year (26 issues) for
only $39.97. That's a $62.00 savings off the newsstand price. If you
decide The Advocate is not for you, simply return your invoice marked
"cancel" and you will owe nothing. The three issues are yours to keep.

Or you may call (800) 827-0561, Monday through Friday, 7:30am to
10:00pm Central Time. Outside the U.S., add $30 per year. The
Advocate is mailed in an opaque plastic wrapper.

Copyright 1995 Liberation Publications Inc. All rights reserved. Used
with permission. This file may be duplicated and distributed for non-
commercial purposes if it is duplicated in its entirety and this
notice is included in the file.