Subject: Advocate 681 Preview
From: "Todd Ruston" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 1995 17:02:53 -0800

The Advocate * May 16, 1995 * Issue 681
                           (On Sale May 2)

                          * BAWER ON CULTURE
             
                     * KRAMER ON ARTHUR LAURENTS
                      
                             * IAN ON SEX

                 * * *  C O V E R   S T O R Y  * * *

                             NOWHERE MAN
                        THE REAL PATIENT ZERO?

Figuring out whether Briton David Carr died of AIDS complications in 
1959 could be the key to fighting the epidemic in the United States 
today.

PLUS A SPECIAL REPORT: THE FUTURE OF THE AIDS EPIDEMIC

MIAMI: FUTURE SHOCK
-------------------
Experts say the city's AIDS profile looks much like the future of AIDS
in the nation as a whole-and it's not a pretty sight.

WASHINGTON: MORE FUTURE SHOCK
-----------------------------
AIDS services suffer as Congress turns the capital district into a
laboratory for a conservative urban agenda.

HEALTH: WORKING THE SYSTEM
--------------------------
Cheating on drug trials isn't a moral issue for some participants-it's
a matter of survival.

MEDICINE: MISS DIAGNOSIS
------------------------
Treatment for AIDS has left Charlene Riling sicker than before. The
good news: It turns out she never had HIV to begin with.

SOCIETY: GIFT HORSES
--------------------
Should gay men be barred from giving blood? The Red Cross defends its
policy, citing the need to screen donors, but critics say screening
should focus on behavior, not orientation.

                              *   *   *

CONGRESS: THE SECOND HUNDRED DAYS
---------------------------------
Congressional Republicans are fat and happy after their first hundred 
days in power. What's next?

POLITICS: ACHTENBERG'S ADIEU
----------------------------
Roberta Achtenberg's exit raises new questions about the Clinton 
administration's commitment to gay rights.

SCANDAL: A MESS IN THE MIDWEST
------------------------------
A disclosure about a leading gay rights activist's past splits a 
university in Kansas.

PEOPLE: THE WAY HE IS
---------------------
Arthur Laurents, the famed author of plays and screenplays, tells Larry 
Kramer about his starry life.

DEPARTMENTS
-----------
Letters
Agenda
Viewpoint: Richard Elovich
Your Business: Per Larson
Reviews
Breaking Silence: Janis Ian
The Buzz
Last Word: Bruce Bawer

-----------------------------------------------------------------
This issue goes on sale May 2, 1995 at your local newsstand or 
bookstore.

Try The Advocate for three issues--free!
----------------------------------------
Send your subscription order via e-mail to "[email-masked]".
Include your full postal mailing address in the message. You will get
the next 3 issues of The Advocate and a trial subscription. If you like
The Advocate, you'll receive the balance of a full year (26 issues) for
only $39.97. That's a $62.00 savings off the newsstand price. If you
decide The Advocate is not for you, simply return your invoice marked
"cancel" and you will owe nothing. The three issues are yours to keep.

Or you may call (800) 827-0561, Monday through Friday, 7:30am to
10:00pm Central Time. Outside the U.S., add $30 per year. The
Advocate is mailed in an opaque plastic wrapper.

Copyright 1995 Liberation Publications Inc. All rights reserved. Used
with permission. This file may be duplicated and distributed for non-
commercial purposes if it is duplicated in its entirety and this
notice is included in the file.