Subject: DENEUVE V. LESBIAN MAG
From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 3 Jan 1996 15:17:02 -0500

The following is a release for a press conference going on TOMORROW followed
by a fact sheet about the case. 
Please attend the conference and spread the news. I am also attaching a fact
sheet. Let me know if you don't receive it.
Thank you, Curve Magazine (formerly Deneuve).

For Release Jan. 2, 1996

Contact: Frances Stevens or Katie Sanborn Brown
ph: (415) 863-6538, fax: (415) 863-1609

CATHERINE DENEUVE v. LESBIAN MAGAZINE
DENEUVE MAGAZINE becomes CURVE MAGAZINE after being sued by actress CATHERINE
DENEUVE

SAN FRANCISCO - Why the change? Hey, the world is a cold, cruel place. You've
got to have that "je ne sais quoi" to make it to the top - just as CATHERINE
DENEUVE.

TELL IT LIKE IT IS

Now that our litigation with CATHERINE DENEUVE is public knowledge, we
thought we'd set the record straight - so to speak. DENEUVE MAGAZINE has been
in publication for five years and is AMERICA'S FOREMOST LESBIAN MAGAZINE.
Although DENEUVE MAGAZINE has never claimed or in any way suggested a
connection to the French actress, Ms. Deneuve sued to stop us from using the
word DENEUVE in the magazine's name. This was curious since Ms. Deneuve has
made her fortune from the patronage of lesbian and gay fans by portraying
bisexual and lesbian characters in five of her major films. Nevertheless,
DENEUVE MAGAZINE has changed its name.

ENTER THE GREAT CURVE

Rather than slide down the slippery slope, the staff of DENEUVE MAGAZINE
instead chose to embrace the CURVE. We love our new name and the bold images
it evokes. A CURVE is a swerve - it's exciting. CURVE has verve - it's savvy.
Most of all, CURVE suggests diversity - a departure from sameness. And CURVE
is a celebration of feminine sensuality and strength.

THE BEST IS YET TO COME

We urge our loyal readers and all representatives of the media to support us
in this transitional period. The January/February 1996 issue is our first as
CURVE Magazine and our finest issue yet. Watch for the cover story on MARTINA
NAVRATILOVA as she helps us welcome in the New Year and celebrate the new
face of CURVE MAGAZINE.

THERE'S MORE TO THIS THAN ANY OF YOU HAVE HEARD

Please join us for a press conference to discuss the lawsuit and name change
at 11 a.m., January 4, 1996, at the law offices of Lewis D'Amato Brisbois &
Bisgaard 221 North Figueroa Street, Suite 1200 LOS ANGELES, Calif.

CURVE MAGAZINE is published bimonthly by OUTSPOKEN ENTERPRISES
2336 Market St. #15, San Francisco CA 94114.

2.
FACT SHEET
For release Jan. 4, 1996
Contact: Frances Stevens or Katie Sanborn Brown
phone: (415) 863-6538; fax: (415) 863-1609

Catherine Deneuve V. Outspoken Enterprises, Inc.

FACTS OF THE LAWSUIT

For the record, Catherine Deneuve's given name is Catherine Dorleac. She took
the name Deneuve as her stage name.

Catherine Deneuve (nee Dorleac) filed suit in Paris in March 1995 against
Outspoken Enterprises to enjoin distribution of Deneuve Magazine in France.

Catherine Deneuve filed suit against Outspoken Enterprises on July 10, 1995,
in Los Angeles Superior Court alleging various trademark violations under
state and federal code.

The original complaint
 * cited a registered trademark for "Catherine Deneuve" for various bath and
cosmetics products. 
 * alleged that Ms. Deneuve has built a reputation on and has benefited
commercially from the distinctiveness of her last name.
 * alleged that Outspoken Enterprises is "using the name 'Deneuve' for their
[sic] products without Ms. Deneuve's permission."
 * sought to enjoin Outspoken Enterprises from using "Deneuve" as the title
of the magazine and its mail-order business.
 * sought the portion of Outspoken's profits attributable to the use of the
title "Deneuve." 
 * sought general and special compensatory damages

In subsequent interrogatories, Ms. Deneuve's attorneys sought to establish
Ms. Deneuve as an "actress well known in the lesbian community."

In response to discovery interrogatories, Outspoken Enterprises maintained
that the magazine was not named for Catherine Deneuve, but that the name
Deneuve Magazine was derived from the last name of the publisher's first
love, and denied all trademark infringements and misappropriation of her
name.

Ms. Deneuve is represented by Michael Novicoff (Reuben & Novicoff, Beverly
Hills) and David Wrobel (Sutherland, Asbill & Brennan, New York).

Outspoken Enterprises is represented by David Makous (Lewis D'Amato Brisbois
and Bisgaard, Los Angeles).
For release Jan. 4, 1996
Contact: Frances Stevens or Katie Sanborn Brown
phone: (415) 863-6538; fax: (415) 863-1609

FACTS ABOUT OUTSPOKEN ENTERPRISES, INC.

Outspoken Enterprises Inc. is the publisher of Deneuve Magazine, which has
now changed its name to Curve Magazine. Formal, bimonthly publication
commenced in May 1991. Curve (formerly Deneuve Magazine) is the nation's
best-selling lesbian magazine.

Distribution is international. In the United States the magazine is
distributed by lesbian and gay, feminist, and other independent bookstores;
Barnes & Noble, Borders Books & Music, Tower Books, other magazine stands and
by subscription.

Circulation has increased ten-fold since the first issue to approximately
40,000 with a readership of approximately 200,000.

Advertising has increased dramatically and now includes such national
advertisers as Stolichnaya Vodka, Skyy Vodka, Tuaca Liqueur, Naya Water,
Working Assets Long Distance Service, Polygram Records and Gramercy Pictures,
among others.

Cover stories have included
 Melissa Etheridge
 Martina Navratilova
 Patty Schemel of Hole
 Traci Lords
 Me'Shell NdegeOcello
 The Indigo Girls
 Marga Gomez
 Kelly Lynch
 Ani Difranco

Outspoken Enterprises changed the name of the magazine from DENEUVE Magazine
to CURVE Magazine with its January/February 1996 issue.

CURVE Magazine serves the lesbian community. CURVE entertains, inspires,
challenges, educates, amuses and titillates its readers with celebrity
interviews, coverage of hard-hitting issues, satire, gossip, fashion and
commentary.