Subject: GCNews -Call for Papers - request to distribution far and wide
From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 1998 17:14:10 EST

GCNews -Call for Papers - request to distribution far and wide

Aloha Folks,

We are in the process of converting our efforts to Gay Community News - Net
Version.  It will cover alerts, news, features, and reports from countries and
locals around the world.  The items in GCNews will be short versions with
back-up long versions available for those taking further ACTION.

****

The following call for papers was requested by author.  Seems like the issues
covered by our organization, readers, etc.

do good

William E. Woods, MPH

***

Call for Papers

The journal of Women and Therapy is planning an upcoming issue on Moral
Responsibility in feminist therapy.  Feminist therapy is largely responsible
for taking the position that values are part of and should be part of the
practice of therapy.  In this issue, we want to take a broader look at the
intersection of care and justice, at the role of morality and responsibility
in therapeutic practice.

This would include, but not be confined to, such issues as resolving the
conflict between responsibility to group and to individual.  How do therapists
balance their obligation to the client with their obligation to society?
Where does the appropriate privacy of therapy end or is this a clear boundary?
Privacy and confidentiality serve more than one purpose included among which
are providing safety for the client and  protection for the status quo.   If a
client is abusive or worse in their relationships, do feminist therapists have
any obligation to the partner or other person(s) in these relationships other
than those specifically legislated?  When and how should the therapist
emphasize the client's responsibility to others before or along with the
client's responsibility to self.  Does individual therapy otherwise reinforce
narcissism-getting in touch with own needs before or instead of those of
others or American individualistic values such as growth, raising self esteem,
asserting our rights, living our dreams.  

What are the ethics of using morality in feminist therapy?  Is morality always
context bound or are there certain principles that should not be violated?  Do
we want to avoid all "shoulds"  in order to avoid the slippery slope of  other
therapists' shoulds?  How much is possible, particularly within the context of
individual therapy.  Is it enough to work with the client's needs and dynamics
and trust that this will lead to responsible behavior.  How can we know when
clients are seriously distorting the truth or even lying as opposed to
presenting their own story.  Is there room in this post-modern world and in
therapy in the 1990's for such concepts as truth, morality and justice?  What
is the place of therapy in a moral society? 

Submissions are welcome in a variety of formats, including empirical
studies, theoretical articles, case presentations, dialogues, roundtables,
poetry or other creative formats.  Deadline for submission of abstracts is
February 22, 1998.

Please send two copies of a one-page abstract of your proposal to 
Ellyn Kaschak, Ph.D. 
6114 LaSalle Avenue
#299
Oakland, CA 94611

Include your name, address, telephone and e-mail address
We will inform authors if we would like them to submit a ms. and the deadline.