Subject: c.c.watch--Christian Coalition Unleashes "Samaritan Project" Offensive
From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 1997 07:39:29 -0800 (PST)

NOTE: Below is the closing portion of yesterday's (1-30) Christian Coalition
"Action Alert" fax to its followers. As part of the day's Christian
Coalition PR blitz -- remember the "Contract with the American Family"??--
its Executive Director Ralph Reed held a press conference and was on CNN's
"Crossfire". Here is a taste of the debate on that broadcast (1/30) between
Ralph Reed and Congressman Charles Rangel (D-NY)

Ralph Reed: "Our entire agenda is very popular. We didn't do this to gain
popularity. We're did this because Our Lord and Saviour has called us to
help those less fortunate."

Charles Rangel: "Oh, my God! Did your Lord and Saviour ask you to oppose the
minimum wage? Did your Lord and Saviour ask you to cut funding from the kids?"

Reed: "We didn't take a position on the minimum wage."

Rangel: "Oh, God! I have to be born again now!"

(Hearty laughter all around.)
_______________________________

INSIDE THE BELTWAY SCOOP [[large, bold type]]

SAMARITAN PROJECT- Today, Dr. Ralph Reed and Rev. Earl Jackson, National
Liaison for Community Development, unveiled a desperately needed plan to use
Christian, compassionate, conservative ideas to combat poverty and restore
hope in out nation, especially in our inner-cities.  The Samaritan Project
not only proposes legislative change, but it includes major initiatives to
reinvigorate and support the most important segments of our society:
families, churches and our communities.  We all realize that the government
cannot solve the problems that plague our society, in fact government is
even making matters worse.  This Project recognizes that we, not
bureaucracies, can truly help the hearts and souls of those in need.
            
         This eight part plan calls for laws to protect young families and
reduce out-of-wedlock births, provide Hope and Opportunity Scholarships for
children, reduce juvenile and gang-related crime, add a tax credit for
charitable giving, encourage economic opportunity, through Empowerment
Zones, and allow states to use private or faith-based drug rehab programs.
We will also plan a Racial Reconciliation Congress this May, and will give
financial assistance to 1,000 places of worship that are reaching out to
impoverished communities.

         We cannot tell you how exciting it is to be part of this project.
Going as far back as Leviticus, our      religious traditions have demanded
charity of God-fearing people.  We believe this plan Will encourage and
facilitate the giving and value of charity.  We hope we can all work
together not only pass this legislation but also to do our part to help the
needy.  God bless!

_________________________________________________________________

(For more information contact [email-masked]. To receive the timely
reportage/commentary of The "c.c.watch" Electronic News Service -- send
message "Subscribe" PLUS your real name/affiliation/reason for wanting to be
added to our public service list. "c.c.watch" tracks and reports on the
activities of Pat Robertson, his many enterprises [especially the Christian
Coalition], and his fellow travelers -- and then disseminates information
that the public might never otherwise receive.)