Subject: Mel White challenges Pat Robertson again (Part I)
From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 7 Feb 1996 15:13:28 -0500

Rev. Mel White challenges Pat Robertson again (Part I):

First reports have come in about the Rev. Mel White's visit to VA Beach on
the first anniversary of his arrest there last February--when he was
incarcerated for trespassing on CBN property in an effort to meet with Pat
Robertson re effects of anti-gay rhetoric on The 700 Club. On Monday night
(2/5), White ran a forum around that issue and his intent to file a petition
with the FCC asking that Robertson be censured for the continued demonizing
of lesbian and gay Americans. Here is what we know:

A. c.c.watcher e-mail report:

Just wanted to let you know that I went to the Mel White's discussion tonight
about Pat Robertson--

Pat Robertson had two cameramen filming every second of the proceedings, as
well as the videotape Mr. White showed. One of the local TV stations also
covered the event. As a matter of fact, it was on the 11:00 news! Mr. White
was very careful to say that he didn't blame Mr. Robertson for the violence
per se, but that he did feel that the campaign against homosexuality was
instrumental in creating an environment in which this violence could and
would thrive. 

A fairly good crowd showed up to support Mr. White, which was surprising,
since the weather has been less than favorable, and many events were either
canceled or rescheduled for a later date. I was glad to see the amount of
support received, as well as the number of potentially influential locals
present in that capacity. I thought, all in all, the evening went well, and
Mr. White was positively, even eagerly received.

At the end of the evening, Mr. White solicited opinions and comments from the
group, and a good percentage participated. The ideas put forth were helpful
and constructive, and there were promises of support from other groups as
well.

Thought you'd want to hear what happened...c.c.watcher, VA Beach (2/5)

B. From the local newspaper:

In a story in yesterday's Virginian -Pilot (2/6) about White's forum,
religion writer Ester Diskin reported on White's perception of the result of
his jailhouse meeting with Pat Robertson last year after three weeks in jail:
"White said Monday that he had hoped that their brief conversation would
prompt Robertson to reduce his criticism of gays, but it hasn't happened.
'Not only has it not abated, most of his statements (on the video) were made
in the last nine months,' White said." Diskin also wrote that she had
contacted the CBN: "Patty Richardson, a spokeswoman for Robertson's Christian
Broadcasting Network, said the organization had no comment on White's plan.
'We want to wait to respond until after the meeting,' she said."

As you know, the public relations department of the CBN will no longer answer
questions from "c.c.watch." Perhaps you would like to ask questions of your
own. Patty Richardson can be contacted at: [email-masked]. Please
let us know if you get an answer.

Copyright 1996 Public-Spirited Enterprises
(For more information or to subscribe to the complete, unique and timely
reportage/commentary of The "c.c.watch" Electronic News Service, call
800/Watch97.  We constantly monitor newspapers, magazines, television, the
Internet, selected events, on-line data bases, direct mail pieces, and
receive reports from "c.c.watchers" around the country--in order to
disseminate information that the public might never otherwise receive. Annual
subscriptions are: $29.95 for individuals; $39.95 for organizations; $49.95
for the media. Checks can be made out to Public-Spirited Enterprises and sent
to: 3741 NE 163rd St, Suite 311, Sunny Isles, FL 33160. Florida residents
please add state sales tax.)