Subject: 5 - CC "VOTER GUIDE" WATCH (#3)
From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 1996 13:36:15 -0500

CHRISTIAN COALITION "VOTER GUIDE" WATCH -- 

In Florida, the state supplement bound into the middle of the CC's Christian
American magazine features a "Voter Guide" for State Legislature races.
Presumably the editions for other states do the same. Please check on this
and let us know. You are aware of the hot Congressional races across the
country. Any CC voter guide information for those races would be very
welcome. Send it to us and we will circulate it ASAP. Candidates being
misrepresented can benefit from early CC voter guide detection.  (When
sending a field report to "c.c.watch," please identify yourself. Your
name/e-mail address will not, however, be published. Identification is solely
for authenticating purposes. Hard copies of CC "voter guides" can be mailed
to: 3741 NE 163rd St, Suite 311, Sunny Isles, FL 33160)

Reports from the field--

**From CT** (10/29)

In Connecticut, the voter guide effort was coordinated by Ken Von Kohorn, a
very conservative individual who has a great deal of time to do voter guides.
 He was recently fined $250,000 by the SEC and is barred from trading for a
year.  

There was a joint effort by: Christian Coalition, Committee to Save Our
Schools, CT Federation of Catholic School Parents, Eagle Forum-CT, Federation
of CT Taxpayers, Rabbinical Council of CT (ADL had never heard of them), The
Education Association of Christian Homeschoolers, Toward Tradition CT.

They organized the voter guides by Congressional District and listed all the
local state house and state senate races within that district.  Yes, they are
being handed out in churches.

Issues--
	Give parents vouchers or tax credits for public/private/religious schools
	Back to basics academic curriculum
	Review state mandates with goal of reduction
	Public schools teaching that homosexuality is an acceptable lifestyle
	Implement full CT constitutional spending cap
	Define marriage as the union of one man and one woman
	continue no-fault divorce policy for CT
	reaffirm parents’ ultimate authority in the raising of their children
	prohibit partial birth abortion
	permit doctor assisted suicide
	instant handgun check for handgun purchases
	permit referendum and initiative in CT

Candidates could select s=supports, o-opposes or NR=no response.

**More from CT** (10/29) 

Voter guides turned up in a Roman Catholic Church in Noroton (Darien)
Connecticut. When the pastor was confronted, he said they were probably left
by attendants at a Service for Life presided by the Bishop (Egan, acolyte of
Robertson) earlier that afternoon.

**From a Sacramento CA area Congregational Church Pastor** (10/28)

They called wanting to give us the guides; we said "no;" they left them in
our mailbox anyway. Sorry, I threw them out before reading, so I can't help
you much.

**Again from CT** (10/29)

The Waterbury Republican American, a very conservative newspaper in Waterbury
 CT distributed the Voter Guide that was put together by the Christian
Coalition and the Family Institute.  Have you ever heard of this being done
before?

**Yet Another FL "c.c.watcher"** (10/30)

US Congress District 12
Charles Canady/Mike Canady

Balanced Budget Amendment  Supports/NR
Raising Federal Income Taxes  Opposes/NR
Abortion on Demand  Opposes/Supports
Banning Partial Birth Abortion  Supports/NR
Homosexuals in Military  Opposes/NR
Term Limits for Congress  Supports/NR

US Congress District 15
John Byron/Dave Weldon

Balanced Budget Amendment  NR/Supports
Flat Rate Federal Income Tax  Opposes/Supports
Abortion on Demand  Supports/Opposes
Taxpayer Funding of Abortion  NR/Opposes
Parental Choice in Education (Vouchers)  Opposes/Supports
Term Limits for Congress  NR/Supports

Florida Senate 15
Patsy Kurth/Scott Ellis

Require 2/3 Vote Before Imposing New or Increasing Taxes  Oppose2/Support
Abortion Waiting Periods(Women's Right to Know)  Oppose1/Support
Expand Gambling to include poker "card rooms"  Support3/Oppose
Lottery Vending Machines  Support4/Oppose
Require Court Order Before HRS Can Take Child 
        (except in emergencies)  Oppose5/Support

Florida Senate 27
Don Delaney/Wm. Doc Myers

Require 2/3 Vote Before Imposing New or Increasing Taxes  DNR/Support
Voluntary Student-led Prayer  DNR/Support
Abortion on Demand  DNR/Oppose
Recognition of Same-sex "Marriages"  DNR/Oppose
Require Court Order Before HRS Can Take Child 
        (except in emergencies)  DNR/Support

Florida House 29
Joanne Schmidt/Randy Ball

Require 2/3 Vote Before Imposing New or Increasing Taxes  DNR/Support
Parental Choice in Education (GI Bill for Kids)  DNR/Support
Abortion on Demand  DNR/Oppose
Require Court Order Before HRS Can Take Child 
        (except in emergencies)  DNR/Support
Recognition of Same-sex "Marriages"  DNR/Oppose

Florida House 30
Molly Tasker/Howard Futch

Require 2/3 Vote Before Imposing New or Increasing Taxes  Oppose/Support
Parental Choice in Education (GI Bill for Kids)  Oppose/Support
Abortion Waiting Period (Woman's Right to Know)  Oppose/Support
State-run Health Care(Florida Health Security Plan of 1994)  Support/Oppose
Require Family Impact Statement on Bills Before Voting into Law
Oppose/Support
Abortion and Contraceptive Services for Students 
        w/o Parental Permission  Support/Oppose

Florida House 31
Harry Goode, Jr./Ann Blackburn

Parental Choice in Education (GI Bill for Kids)  Oppose/Support
Abortion on Demand  Support/Oppose
Abortion Waiting Period (Woman's Right to Know)  Support/Support
State-run Health Care(Florida Health Security Plan of 1994)  Support/Oppose
No-fault Divorce Laws  Support/Oppose
Require Family Impact Statement on Bills Before 
        Voting into Law  Undecided/Support
Expand Gambling to include poker-style "card rooms"  Support/Oppose

Florida House 44
Joan Smith/Jeff Stabins

Require 2/3 Vote Before Imposing New or Increasing Taxes  DNR/Support
Charter Schools  DNR/Support
Abortion Waiting Period (Woman's Right to Know)  DNR/Support
Require Court Order Before HRS Can Take Child 
        (except in emergencies)  DNR/Support
Recognition of Same-sex "Marriages"  DNR/Oppose

Florida House 66
Arturo Perez/John Laurent

State-run Health Care(Florida Health Security Plan of 1994)  Undecided/Oppose
Abortion and Contraceptive Services for Students 
        w/o Parental Permission  Undecided/Oppose*
Tax Increase to Build Prisons or Fund Education  Support/Oppose
Require 2/3 Vote Before Imposing New or Increasing Taxes  Support/Oppose
Expand Gambling to include poker-style "card rooms"  Oppose/Oppose

Florida House 72
Vernon Peeples/Lindsay Harrington

Parental Choice in Education (GI Bill For Kids)  Oppose2/Support
Abortion and Contraceptive Services for Students 
        w/o Parental Permission  Support7/Oppose
Abortion Waiting Period (Woman's Right to Know)  Oppose1/Support
New Age Religious Practices(yoga) in School 
        w/o Parental Permission  Support5/Oppose
State-run Health Care (Florida Health Security Plan of 1994) Support3/Oppose
Decrease Funding for Death Row Appeals  Oppose9/Support

DNR=did not respond 
*=Vote indicates opposite or otherwise
SENATE 1 - SB 1262, 1996; 2 - SB 124, 1995; 3 - HB 337, 1996; 4 - HB 2405,
1996;
HOUSE 1 - HB 115 Brooks motion, 1996; 2- HB 529 amend 8, motion by Miller,
1996; 3 - HB 2823, 1994; 5 - HB 2347 sub-amend. 2, 1994; 7 - HB 483 amend 1
to amend 5, motion by Logan, 1996; 9 - HB 2715 amend 85, 1996.

Additional:
Vote Yes on Amendment 1
Vote No on Amendment 2
Supreme Court Justice Leander Shaw ruled against Parental Consent for
Abortions for Minors

(For more information or to subscribe to the complete, unique and timely
reportage/commentary of The "c.c.watch" Electronic News Service, call
305/751-5001. We track and report on the activities of Pat Robertson, his
many enterprises [especially the Christian Coalition], and his fellow
travelers...and then we disseminate information that the public might never
otherwise receive.)