Subject: Special Report from "c.c.watch"
From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 1996 16:04:02 -0500

Special Report from The "c.c.watch" Electronic News Service (3/11/96)
RALPH REED CAPS HIS COUNCIL FOR NATIONAL POLICY WEEKEND BY PLEDGING TO HELP A
DELAWARE SENATORIAL CANDIDATE--

Ralph Reed was at it again yesterday on "Face the Nation," pretending that
the Christian Coalition (CC) is not partisan. When asked about Pat Buchanan's
statement that the CC could not support a vice-presidential candidate that is
not pro-life, like Colin Powell, he said: "As you know, Bob [Schieffer], the
Christian Coalition does not endorse candidates or disendorse candidates..."

But here is how it really works: Just one hour earlier in the lobby of the
Buena Vista Palace Hotel in Orlando, Florida, Mr. Reed--finishing up his
weekend with the Council of National Policy--had a telling conversation with
one Ray Clatworthy. Clatworthy (whose daughter is a student at Regent
University) is a Republican candidate for US Senate in Delaware. He was
introduced to Reed who said, "I know you met with Pat. We're looking forward
to helping you." Clatworthy then suggested that since Delaware is such a
small state, he would like to see the CC and Catholic Alliance make his race
a "pilot" project--portraying Biden as a "non-practicing Catholic." Reed's
response? "Let's try it!" He said he would talk to Catholic Alliance director
Maureen Roselli. As he departed for his appearance on "Face the Nation" Mr.
Reed told Clatworthy, "I'll do anything I can to help you."

The Council of National Policy (CNP) met for 2 full days on Friday and
Saturday with a very full schedule of general sessions and topical breakout
sessions. The CNP--headed up by former Attorney general Ed Meese--is a
secretive, nearly all-white group of very conservative movers and shakers
that meets three times a year to talk issues and agree upon priorities and
strategies. Its membership consists of the captains of industry, GOP
wheeler-dealers and evangelical leaders. They are on a mission to dominate
the American political scene and government--and to promote their agenda.
Needless to say, the upcoming elections and GOP National Convention were
uppermost in their minds. The election of a conservative Republican President
would open the flood gates of power in terms of Cabinet and subcabinet
appointments, not to mention judicial ones. One member was heard to say: "I'm
perfectly willing to work with Dole if he makes the right concessions."

Topics discussed included: Defense and Foreign Policy (The START 2000 Treaty,
The Michael New Situation/US Soldiers Under UN Command, Religious Rights in
Foreign Countries, The Military Personnel/ Where Does the Next
Commander-in-Chief Stand); Family (How I Beat the Teacher's Union, The
pro-Life Plank in the Republican Platform); Law and Justice (Euthanasia,
Reaffirmation of the American Founding, The Death of Vince Foster); Children
(Pro-Life Medical Clinics: A Challenge to Planned Parenthood, Rights of
Foster Children); Economic Freedom ("Flat Tax, Right to Work Issues); and Hot
Issues (The Partial Birth Abortion Ban, The Hidden Agenda Behind
School-to-Work Programs, Issues and Challenges Facing Freshmen Congressmen).
Saturday evening's keynote address was "Technology of Freedom: Why Government
is Becoming Obsolete" by Dr. Jack Wheeler, President of the Freedom Research
Foundation.

Needless to say, numerous private conversations and meetings took place
during the weekend. And even though "CNP Rules"  prohibit "the solicitation
of funds on a one-on-one basis" and "fundraising from the [membership]
list"--clearly several GOP candidates were being promoted during the weekend.
They were Clatworthy, Louis "Woody" Jenkins (for US Senate, LA, and CNP
Executive Committee Member), Paul Young (US Congress, ME--heavily sponsored
by Linda Bean Folkers and being promoted as a "Franco-American Catholic"),
Marvin Scott (US Congress, IN), and David Caprara (US Congress, VA who
solicited and received the support of Michael Farris).

Current elected officials who are CNP members and who were very much part of
the meetings were Steve Stockman (TX) and Ernest Istook (OK, who somehow
managed to be in Orlando with his wife and most of his five children.) Also
on hand were Charles Canady (FL), David McIntosh (IN), George Radanovich (CA,
and President of the Freshman Class), and Mark Souder (IN). One of the eight
new CNP members is Sara DiVito Hardman, state chairman of the Christian
Coalition of CA.

Quote of the weekend: "Where's my honorarium?"--Ralph Reed, as he, his wife
and their entourage headed for a Sunday morning prayer breakfast at which he
was to be featured. Was he being serious, sarcastic or just plain funny?

Copyright 1996 Public-Spirited Enterprises. All rights reserved. If this
article is quoted or referred to, please do give "c.c.watch" appropriate
credit. (For more information or to subscribe to the complete, unique and
timely reportage/commentary of The "c.c.watch" Electronic News Service, call
305/751-5001.  We constantly monitor newspapers, magazines, television, the
Internet, selected events, on-line data bases, direct mail pieces, and
receive reports from "c.c.watchers" around the country--in order to
disseminate information that the public might never otherwise receive.)