Subject: Pat Robertson Defends Democratic Donors
From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 1996 11:47:20 -0400

PAT ROBERTSON DEFENDS RIADY FAMILY CONTRIBUTIONS TO DEMOCRATS

Yesterday's 700 Club (10/14) brought comments by Pat Roberston on two raging
political issues of the day:

A. On the issue of contributions to the Democratic Party by the billionaire
Indonesian Riady family, long-standing friends of President Clinton--

"The Riadys [chuckle] are friends of mine -- ah, James Riady and his, uh,
father Muktar [sp?], both born-again Christians. Ah, they, they, James wanted
to be a missionary and, and, and a pastor, I think. And I had breakfast with
them when I was over there. They had a big picture of Clinton. I said, well,
you know, they of course-- They bought, uh, the Werthheim Bank. And, uh,
they, James was the president of it at like age 28. They're  wealthy people.
They, but, I don't understand exactly what the flap is all about. Except,
apparently a foreign corporation cannot make contributions in the United
States,  BUT if it has a subsidiary which quote earns money in the United
States then it can make -- it's legal according to the law. It's a big
loophole in the law. But nevertheless change the law. But I do believe that
this was probably, they were, they were law-abiding people, but they just
happen to like Bill Clinton because they have Arkansas ties. And their, their
representative is a man named Huang who was, who was in the Commerce
Department as undersecretary. And he's now joined the Democratic Party. He's
raised $5million.  And,  uh, Asians have a right to participate in America.
But it, I guess we don't  want to be influenced by Indonesians or ethnic
Chinese who still live in China. We want Asians who are Asian-Americans. And,
and  we want them to have  full participation in the process. But it's a
sticky thing. I don't think it's going to have any legs though."

B. As for the declaration by the Martin Mawyer of the Christian Action
Network that his members would not be voting in the upcoming election because
Bob Dole has not addressed their issues:

"Oh, there is some validity to that, I mean it, it giv'em a wake up call. But
the truth is, that, uh, the Congress of the United States is up for grabs.
The House of Representatives is clearly in the balance. And, uh, to say that
we don't like the head of ticket, ah, we're not going to vote for anybody
else is just absolutely insane...it is a major election, and, and to say,
well we don't agree on all the issues and he didn't tickle our fancies -- I,
I don't think that is a smart way to go."

(For more information or to subscribe to the complete, unique and timely
reportage/commentary of The "c.c.watch" Electronic News Service, call
305/751-5001. We track and report on the activities of Pat Robertson, his
many enterprises [especially the Christian Coalition], and his fellow
travelers...and then we disseminate information that the public might never
otherwise receive.)