Subject: ALERT: Pat Robertson & Super Sunday
From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 20 Jan 1996 00:03:36 -0500

To: The "c.c.watch" Internet Network
Subject: Pat Robertson & Super Sunday/Tell all your friends!!
Date: January 19, 1996

This Sunday (1/21)  is Super Sunday on the Family Channel! Iit's an
opportunity to see for yourself how Pat Robertson mixes religion and politics
to forward his agenda and raise money for his $200 million multi-media
Christian Braodcasting Network, a (501)(c)(3) organization. It's all
tax-free!

Pat Robertson & Co will conduct a 12-hour telethon from 12 PM to 12 Midnight.
On a Sunday, no less.  This is the grand finale of two weeks of fundraising
called: "America's Two Destinies" (Week I) and "Hope from Heavan" (Week II).
Week I was based on politically-oriented scare tactics like predicting the
extermination of unwanted senior citizens. Week II prayed upon on personal
problems like drug abuse, divorce and, suprisingly enough, domestic violence.
According to The 700 Club, middle class white men do beat their wives!
Amazin'

The theme for Sunday's extravaganza--neatly placed between NFL championships
and the Super Bowl--is also "America's Two Destinies."  CBN does not usually
release fundraising information. But Pat Robertson released quite a bit
himself during the past 2 weeks. At the outset, he declared that his goal was
75,000 new 700 Club members ($20 a month/$240 a year). The projected total
for all categories of giving added up to $36 million--from people giving
cash, or appreciated stock/real estate so they can escape paying capital
gains tax.  Now today, they have only 21,175 or so new 700 Club
members--after 20 hours of telethon (2 each day) plus the replays in the
evening. The Grand Total reported at the top of the show was $1,028,339. (You
tell us what $240 X 21,175 adds up to.) Pat himself looked a bit subdued
compared to his swagger of last week. On Sunday, they will be pulling out all
the stops. 

Watch for yourself, painful as it may be.  Then call 800/759-0700 to make
your pledge, or to tell them what you think about "America's Two Destinies"
and the role of Pat Robertson and The 700 Club. Don't forget for a moment
that Pat Robertson is the founder and president of the Christian Coalition. 

PS--There has not been much mention in the press regarding the "National
Affairs Briefing"  taking place today and tomorrow at The Pyramid in Memphis,
TN. This manufactured political event pits all the leading lights of  the
so-called "religious right" (from Ralph Reed to Jerry Falwell) against
pandering GOP presidential candidates, and is being orchestrated by rightwing
stalwart Ed McAteer and the Roundtable. The Pyramid is supposed to hold
20,000 people and tickets are $25 (tax deductible!). One of the sponsors is
Jeff Coors. No mention of Bob Dole on the schedule? This event does not seem
to be on the C-Span schedule, either. Let's keep our eyes and ears open.

Copyright 1996 Public-Spirited Enterprises
(For more information or to subscribe to the complete, unique and timely
reportage/commentary of The "c.c.watch" News Service, call 800/Watch97.
 Don't subscribe to another magazine that you won't have time to read. Let
"c.c.watch" deliver important information to your e-mail box, wherever you
are.)