Subject: Media must report on Pat Robertson's agenda/activies
From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 13 May 1996 17:15:33 -0400

To: The Editors of the New York Times
Date: May 9, 1996

Recent NYT editorials and articles have shed important light on the real
agenda and purely political (and wholly Republican) maneuverings of the
Christian Coalition. Yet, once again the key to the puzzle has been neatly
avoided.

Your readers and all Americans need to be made sharply aware that the Father
and Boss of the Christian Coalition is Pat Robertson--whose far from
mainstream agenda and daily TV propagandizing threaten a whole host of
freedoms and constituencies. 

Just yesterday on his flagship 700 Club, Mr. Robertson could be seen pitching
his own world order with a highly-politicized telethon called "Signs of the
Times 1996." So while you were commending Mr.Reed for his "civil language" in
your editorial, his boss was continuing his mission to impose his vision of
 society on all of us. His strategy includes: Comparing alleged wide-spread
marginalization of Christians in America with what led to the Holocaust;
daily Clinton-bashing with endless reports of Whitewater, Vince Foster, etc;
and an ongoing campaign to demonize lesbian and gay Americans. And that's
just the tip of the iceberg.  

Based on the above well-documented activity and Ralph Reed's own track record
for misleading the public, we'll have to take Mr. Reed's carefully-crafted
statements and writings with a very large grain of salt. 

And we must continue to question the continued lack of in-depth reporting on
the multi-faceted, highly-questionable activities of Pat Robertson--who wants
to take over the GOP and this country if he can. Is it because he's not
running for president himself in 1996? Or because the media will not deal
with this very big can of worms?  In any case, avoiding these issues is an
extremely dangerous omission. Every vote for a Christian Coalition-backed
candidate is ultimately a vote for the Pat Robertson agenda.

Paula Xanthopoulou
Editor of "c.c.watch"
Miami, Florida

TOP TEN EXCERPTS FROM YESTERDAY'S 700 CLUB TELETHON "SIGNS OF TIMES 1996"
(posted by "c.c.watch" on May 9, 1996)

EDITOR'S NOTE: At the very same time Ralph Reed promotes his upcoming book
"Active Faith"--which, according to the Newsweek magazine excerpt is full of
morally conciliatory language--his boss Pat Robertson continues to promote
his own dangerous New World Order. Nothing we write could totally convey the
misleading and inflammatory nature of yesterday's 90-minute broadcast of The
700 Club. It was the third day of a telethon called "Signs of the Times
1996." People need to tune in for themselves to see the insidious and
dangerous nature of the Pat Robertson agenda in conjunction with his role as
the Father and Boss of the Christian Coalition. In the meantime, here are
some examples of what was said  (by Pat Robertson unless otherwise noted):

1. The persecution of Christians in America is like Joseph Goebbels campaign
"to undermine the standing" of Jews. "If you want your [religious] freedom,
it's time to fight." If Jews had awakened early, "The Holocaust might not
have happened." 

2. "Now in our society we're seeing The New York Times, The Washington Post,
various of the liberal media joining together in a concerted effort to
marginalize Christians."

3. "Truth will win in a free market, as long as we have a free market."

4. "I founded the Christian Coalition which has become one of the most
powerful, uh, political arms in the nation fighting for your freedom helping
to elect, uh, you know, pro-family conservatives to various offices around
the nation. We've been fighting for you and, and, and, mobilizing...We're
doing everything we can. But we've got to have some help. We're right out
there on the point and people are shooting at us. But how about helping us."

 5.  On the persecution of Christians in the Sudan: "That is Islam. THAT IS
MILITANT ISLAM. And that's what they do to Christians in MILITANT Islamic
countries. That what you have in the Sudan and to a lesser degree in Saudi
Arabia but in other parts of the Muslim world."

6. The American Civil Liberties Union--which had key members of the communist
movement around the world on its founding board--was out from the beginning
"to erode Christian beliefs" by picking their cases, the jurisdictions and
the judges to establish "a body of law which became like an avalanche and a
steamroller." With the help of the American Center for Law & Justice "the
same thing is happening here. We're building a body of law. It takes time.
But it takes patience. But it also costs money."

7. Evangelical and Catholic churches are being attacked by the IRS because
they have spoken out (according to Jay Sekulow) against homosexuality,
abortion and condom distribution. "Churches that say what the government
likes," Sekulow said, "never get touched."

8. John F. Kennedy--they just auctioned off  his personal effects "where his
widow got $34 million, I think, for a bunch of sort of mediocre
property"--had the Fairness Doctrine put into law to surpress religious
broadcasters.

9. "The only group you can malign with impunity is Evangelical Christians." 

10. The Christian Broadcasting Network will continue to expose the hidden
agenda of the mainstream media, a covert operation to dupe the public and
another sign of The End of the Age. "I know what they do and  I know their
game...If there had been an alternate media in Nazi Germany [like The 700
Club, Rush Limbaugh, Internet pages, etc.]...Goebbels would not have been
able to succeed in his vicious attempts to marginalize the Jews and other
people that didn't agree with Adolf Hitler." (Only CBN, for example,
broadcast the truth about the 1993 homosexual March on Washington--showing
homosexuals as they really are: "We showed sado-masochists whipping one
another. We showed people wandering around chained and in bondage. We showed
lesbians simulating sex acts with one other going down THE STREET. The media
didn't show one bit of that in the other media,  NOT ANY OF IT. Because that
points to homosexuality in a bad light. We showed them the way there were. We
didn't slant it. We showed what they were doing out there on the Mall.")

(For more information or to subscribe to the complete, unique and timely
reportage/commentary of The "c.c.watch" Electronic News Service, call
305/751-5001. We track and report on the activities of Pat Robertson, his
many enterprises [especially the Christian Coalition], and his fellow
travelers...and then we disseminate information that the public might never
otherwise receive.)