Subject: Special Report: March Against D. James Kennedy
From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 1996 14:53:03 -0400

Special Report from "c.c.watch"--
DEMONSTRATION AGAINST D. JAMES KENNEDY HELD IN FT. LAUDERDALE/
PRESBYTERIAN ELDER CRITICIZES THE CHRISTIAN COALITION:

A demonstration against anti-gay fund-raising tactics used by Rev. D. James
Kennedy of Coral Ridge Ministries (CRM) took place in front of his church
Wednesday evening in Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. According to organizers,
approximately 500 people took part in "A Walk for Justice and a Prayer for
Tolerance" between 6-8 PM despite the rain. The event was organized by a
Coalition of Concerned Citizens for Tolerance & Individual Rights. In an odd
twist, the designated spokesperson for CRM, William Devlin, was part of a
Presbyterian Convention being held on the premises; while he supported Rev.
Kennedy, he was also very critical of the Christian Coalition.

Mr. Devlin--Director of the Philadelphia Family Council (no relation to Focus
on the Family, he said)--cheerfully and methodically approached media people
and marchers alike, provoking dialogue with anyone who would listen. His spin
on the situation, according to a prepared statement, was that the marchers
were protesting the 24th General Assembly of the Presbyterian Church in
America (PCA). But in fact, the organizers were not aware of the conference
when the march was conceived. The purpose of the gathering was specific: to
expose mean-spirited and homophobic statements made by Rev. Kennedy in his
direct mail pieces and in other venues. 

Devlin's prepared statement said: "The issues being addressed--namely,
homosexuality and gay rights--are not issues being addressed by this Assembly
meeting...The PCA seeks first and foremost to introduce individuals to
Christ. As a denomination, it is not a political action or social action
committee. However, from time to time it may address moral and spiritual
problems in our culture and society by way of humble petition to the
appropriate governing authorities." Devlin claimed to support Rev. Kennedy
but did not seem to be fully cognizant of the CRM direct mail pieces in
question--letting, in effect, the Coral Ridge leader off the hook.

When made aware that "c.c.watch" monitors the Christian Coalition, Devlin (a
Presbyterian elder) asked to go on record with the following statement: "We
have asked, three years ago I personally wrote Ralph Reed and Pat Robertson
and I told them not to set up shop in Philadelphia simply because we don't
like their arrogant brand of Christianity. It's not a loving approach, it's
not a Christian approach...I don't have anything to do with the Christian
Coalition or Ralph Reed or Pat Robertson. I disagree with their tactics. And
that's all I'll state about that."

At the end of the march, participants gathered on the street north of the
church for a brief rally. They were addressed by the senior pastor of the
local Sunshine Cathedral of the Metropolitan Community Church, the Rev. Grant
Ford,  who said: "We are here to make friends, not enemies. To prove that
what they say about us is not true." Jack Lieberman, a spokesperson for the
American Jewish Congress, represented support from "the majority of the
Jewish community." He said that Rev. Kennedy and his colleagues do a
"disservice to the church, the community and the family values they claim to
represent."

Groups joining in solidarity for the event were GUARD (Gays United to Attack
Repression & Discrimination), American Jewish Congress Southeast Region,
American Federation of Veterans, South Palm Beach County NOW, Broward County
Log Cabin Club, Atlantic Coast Democratic Club, PFLAG (Parents, Families &
Friends of Lesbians and Gays), FL Gold Coast Gay Lesbian & Bisexual Veterans,
Black & White Men Together, Broward County NOW, Gay & Lesbian Community
Center of Greater Ft. Lauderdale, Stonewall Library & Archives, and
Congregation Etz Chaim.

One of the CRM documents circulated to the media was entitled: "Liberal Media
Quashes Truth About Radical Homosexual Agenda." It was subtitled: "When it
comes to homosexuality the Christian view is CENSORED!" It claimed that the
CRM television special "GAY RIGHTS: Private Lives & Public Policy" had been
rejected by TV stations even though the church offered to pay for airtime.
Subsequently, the video was circulated via a national grassroots OPERATION
BREAKTHROUGH campaign "in order to circumvent the censorship of the liberal
media." Currently Rev. Kennedy is seeking funding for something called the
Center for Reclaiming America. 

Copyright 1996 Public-Spirited Enterprises. All rights reserved. This article
may not be reproduced in its entirety without permission. If it is quoted or
referred to, please do give "c.c.watch" appropriate credit.
(For more information or to subscribe to the complete, unique and timely
reportage/commentary of The "c.c.watch" Electronic News Service, call
305/751-5001. We track and report on the activities of Pat Robertson, his
many enterprises [especially the Christian Coalition], and his fellow
travelers...by constantly monitoring newspapers, magazines, television, the
Internet, selected events, on-line data bases, direct mail pieces, and
receiving reports from "c.c.watchers" around the country. Then we disseminate
information that the public might never otherwise receive.)