Subject: Many "c.c.watch" Eyes on San Diego
From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 9 Aug 1996 15:18:52 -0400

PUBLIC-SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENTS FROM "C.C.WATCH" --

Special Reports on Christian Coalition GOP Convention Activity All Next Week
from "c.c.watch"

"c.c.watch" subscribers will receive daily reports on Christian Coalition
activity at the Republican Convention in San Diego beginning on Monday. Those
reports will also appear on the Women Leaders Online Webpage
(http://www.wlo.org/woc/news) and be heard on Chicago's Lesbigay Radio at
8:10 AM EST on Monday, Wednesday and Friday.

You can follow the ongoing/upcoming political action on C-SPAN, CNN, the
major networks, etc...and also on Pat Robertson's Family Channel, where the
GOP will broadcast its own version of itself each night from 9 - 11 PM EST.
(Those broadcasts are now being paid for by the RNC, after complaints about
potentially illegal subsidies for that purpose to the San Diego Convention
and Visitors Bureau by Amway. Amway founder and boss Rich De Vos is a member
of the secretive Council for National Policy meeting today and tomorrow  at
 Loew's Coronado Bay Resort in San Diego. See story about the CNP in today's
USA Today!) The GOP will also broadcast a 30-minute "morning briefing" at 7AM
on the USA cable network.

Join the many other "c.c.watchers" who will be monitoring San Diego activity
in person and/or on television -- and relaying information for publication by
"c.c.watch." Send your field reports to [email-masked].
__________________________________________

MEANWHILE....

**Christian Coalition Goes Very High Tech at GOP Convention. Is it
Overkill?**

Last night's Inside Politics on CNN reported on the extraordinary floor
organization set up at the upcoming Republican Convention by the Christian
Coalition (CC). According to Ralph Reed the organization includes 102 floor
whips, 8 regional whips, 40 runners, 15 regional communications hubs, and
wireless palm-sized computers which will allow all to communicate with the
CC's war room. The CC spent $2 million on a year-long effort to elect
delegates. According to political analyst Stuart Rothenberg: "They're [the CC
member/delegates] going to determine the feel of the convention. They're
going to determine the platform. They're going to determine how  many people
see the Republican Party." According the Reed: "We aren't big enough as a
movement for the Republican Party to win only with us. But we are big enough
to where that the Republican Party can't win without us." 

Today's New York Times reported that the CC "budgeted $750,000 overall for
its convention efforts." Whips "will probably wear bright-colored caps,
rather than the white cowboy hats that all anti-abortion delegates will
wear." Information from the hand-held computers will be aimed at the CC's war
room: "In that room -- in a hotel [ Somerset Suites in Hillcrest?]that
coalition  officials refuse to name, saying they fear penetration by would-be
imitators or opponents -- strategists with tally sheets, personal computers
and more conventional tools of political battle will assess their strength."
 According to Reed:  "I don't think anyone was thinking as far ahead or on
this scale of planning."

**"Road to Renewal Rally" this Sunday in San Diego**

A "Road to Renewal Rally" under the auspices of the Interfaith Alliance
Foundation will take place on Sunday, August 11th at 2 PM in Balboa Park (6th
and Olive Streets) in San Diego.  The purpose of  the event is to "send a
message to candidates for public office that there is an alternative
faith-based voice to that of religious political extremists such as the
Christian Coalition and affirm the positive role that religion plays in
American life." Mainstream religious leaders from the San Diego area will
join with Republican officials and delegates in an interfaith rally and
worship service the day before the GOP convention begins. Participants will
include the Rev. Joan Brown Campbell, General Secretary of the National
Council of Churches and Mary Louise Smith, former chair of the Republican
National Committee.

**Rev. Dr. Mel White in San Diego with His Open-Letter Video to Pat
Robertson** 

Rev. Dr. Mel White aims to distribute copies of "The Rhetoric of Intolerance:
An Open-Letter Video to Pat Robertson from Dr. Mel White" to delegates and
media in San Diego during the time of the GOP convention.  It's part of
White's efforts to dialogue with Robertson regarding the dangers of the his
false and inflammatory anti-gay rhetoric on The 700 Club. The extraordinary
30-minute video comes with a viewers guide which outlines White's 4-year
effort to contact Robertson. Last year, White -- who used to work for
Robertson as a ghostwriter -- was arrested for trespassing on the grounds of
the Christian Broadcasting Network in Virginia Beach when he attempted to see
Robertson. He remained in jail fasting for over three weeks, until Robertson
paid him a brief visit. But no discussions took place and nothing changed.
According to White: "Since he has refused to discuss theses matters with us
in a private or in a public forum, we are releasing this open-letter video
hoping that it will lead at last to a face-to-face discussion with Mr.
Robertson and among all people who are concerned about the growing spirit of
intolerance." Robertson is a VA delegate from the 2nd district to the
convention.

(You can obtain a free copy of the video with its teaching/viewers' guide and
transcript by sending a check for $5.55 to cover postage and packaging to:
Justice Report, 1280 Bison, Suite B9-431, Newport Beach, CA, 92660. More than
a thousand requests have been received from the media and justice-seeking
groups and individuals around the world. The tape can be copied and
distributed freely for education, criticism and review.)

**Fascinating New Book on Fall of Fascist America Now Available**

On July 4, 1996, the Thomas Jefferson Press announced the publication of a
new book, "The 15% Solution: A Political History of American Fascism,
2001-2022."  Written under the pseudonym Johnathan  Westminster -- not to be
confused with Anonymous -- the book is purported to be published in the year
2048.  It is based on the notion that "it can happen here."  In March,
Patrick J. Buchanan said: "We're on the verge of taking [the Republican
Party] back as prelude to taking back our country as prelude to taking back
the destiny of America, and when we get there, my friends, we will be
obedient to one sovereign America and that is the sovereign of God himself"
(The Nation, 3/11/96).  The fictional future history supposes that by 2001,
political forces that agreed with Buchanan's suppositions had taken over the
U.S. government; in 2011, they created, among other things, an apartheid
state called the "New American Republics." In 2023, following the conclusion
of the Second Civil War, Constitutional Democracy was Restored in the
Re-United States.

This unique  exposition of political thought is divided into three sections,
ending with "What Could Have Been Done" to prevent the national nightmare
from ever occurring. A feature of the book is that virtually every supposed
event, Constitutional amendment, Supreme Court decision, speech, or diary
entry in it is based on statements and writings that were actually made by
right-wing figures and organizations in the United States, or real events
that have already occurred here and in other countries. The book is fully
referenced to these real sources and events, and has an index.
 
( "The 15 % Solution" is being distributed by Library Research Associates,
Dunderberg Rd., RD# 6 - Box 41,  Monroe, NY 10950, (914) 783-1144 -- and is
available in bookstores or by calling 1-800-882-7987.)

Copyright 1996 Public-Spirited Enterprises. All rights reserved. If this
posting is quoted or referred to, please do give "c.c.watch" appropriate
credit. (For more information or to subscribe to the complete, unique and
timely reportage/commentary of The "c.c.watch" Electronic News Service, call
305/751-5001. We track and report on the activities of Pat Robertson, his
many enterprises [especially the Christian Coalition], and his fellow
travelers...by constantly monitoring newspapers, magazines, television, the
Internet, selected events, on-line data bases, direct mail pieces, and
receiving reports from "c.c.watchers" around the country. Then we disseminate
information that the public might never otherwise receive.)