Subject: The CBN blackballs "c.c.watch"
From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 1996 17:48:14 -0500

This is a sample of the kind of work we do and information received by our
subscribers:

SPECIAL REPORT FROM THE C.C.WATCH ELECTRONIC NEWS SERVICE

Pat Robertson and The 700 Club launched a major fundraising campaign on
Monday, January 8th, called "America's Two Destinies" and presenting  a
freshly-packaged collection of  frightening and divisive theses, slick
visuals/film clips, and statements by Pat Robertson and his crew.  At the
same time "c.c.watch" has been effectively declared persona non grata by the
public relations department of the Christian Broadcasting Network (CBN) due
to a Letter to the Editor of the New York Times published last Saturday with
the title "Christian Coalition Sends Dual Message on Israel."  Here is our
report:

A. The 700 Club: 
The week-long  "America's Two Destinies"--during which a major CBN telethon is
being staged--opened Monday with a surreal dramatization aimed at convincing
senior citizens and others to part with their money...or appreciated real
estate/stock so they don't have to pay capital gains tax. The two-hour
broadcast also included major sales pitches for CBN, its various
evangelization outreach programs ("The Ends of the Earth"), counseling
set-up, and news division. The basic premise is that we must choose between
being born again (the only ticket to salvation), or not (being part of an
immoral America). The opening scenes featured two guys driving a truck into a
road block situation, getting stop by government agents and losing their
cargo of senior citizens. You see, due to new federal laws the elderly have
outlived their usefulness; they will be detained and exterminated. Look at
the trend in euthanasia here and in Holland. Pat Robertson went on to tell us
if it happened in Germany it could happen here. It's no different than the
barbaric partial birth abortions; one day because of the shortage of
retirement funds--taken away by the GOP Congress or given to CBN?!?--an
immoral America could stoop to other solutions to get rid of unwanted
persons. CBN will take a stand on all these issues, but it costs $$$. On
Monday there was a $135,000 challenge, they said, to spur people on. Part of
the broadcast was devoted to a history of the CBN, telling us that people
trust Pat and that telethons are "roll calls of faith." Studio 6, where the
telethons are held, has had a makeover with slick graphics and a center area
resembling a runway. Ben Kinchlow, Terry Meeuwsen, Lee Webb and Michael
Little were all there to read the pledges or to talk about the tapes,
booklets, pins, etc. that were to be received by those joining The 700 Club
($20 a  month), 1000 Club ($84), 2500 Club ($209) or Founder's Club ($417).
The news department was touted for telling the truth and promoting Christian
values, unlike the liberal media. Pat said that "Mass communications is the
answer" and that CBN can change the way people view reality. There wasn't
much news reported on Monday though; the main focus was the weather--with all
kinds of shots of New York, Washington, DC, and Robertson's own CBN "campus."
Of course, we were told that on Monday the mail did not get delivered in New
York and the United Nations was closed. All, in all, however, it was a good
day for Pat Robertson and the CBN. In two hours, they went "OVER THE
TOP!"--collecting $222,780 in pledges against that $135,000 challenge. 

Tuesday and Wednesday continued in the same vein. Today we were treated to a
bizarre dramatization of a TV show called "Sweet American Justice" where
people get to take the law into their own hands. The audience decides who
lives or dies; they end up condemning the host, James Riprock, and giving the
so-called criminals $10,000 each. (Consuela's crime was taking jobs away from
US citizens and giving birth to 3 kids.) After 2 hours, it seemed like
today's $750,000 challenge (from people in FL, CA, OH) was not met, but they
were still counting the money. The results will be announced tomorrow.

Watch The 700 Club for yourself, painful as it may be. The show is on The
Family Channel in most markets at 10 AM and 10 PM. Then call 800/759-0700 to
make your pledge, or to tell them what you think about "America's Two
Destinies" and the role of Pat Robertson and The 700 Club. Don't forget for a
moment that Pat Robertson is the founder and president of the Christian
Coalition.

B. CBN and "c.c.watch"
On Tuesday we received this, in response to our query (also printed here):

Subj:	Per your request:
Date:	96-01-09 10:13:22 EST

Paula - I received your e-mail message today.  Paula, we have been monitoring
your articles and letters to the editor and it's obvious that you are intent
on attacking this ministry and its founder, Pat Robertson.  Therefore, this
office will not be responding to future  requests from you.
Patty Richardson
______________________________ Reply Separator
_________________________________
Subject:	from c.c.watch
Date:	1/5/96 3:45 PM

Hello and Happy New Year!

I wanted to mention that I have called Sharon Gabriel several times to get
further information on the OB Holiday Appeal, but have never received a call
back. What does this mean, I wonder?

On January 1st, as part of Pat's New Year's predictions/plans, he said that
God would bless CBN again this year, and that there were several target
countries re the his evangelization plans (World Reach, I guess). Could you
tell me which countries he had in mind when he said that?

When you have a chance, I'd appreciate hearing from you.
Many thanks,
Paula Xanthopoulou

Copyright 1996 Public-Spirited Enterprises
(For more information or to subscribe to the "c.c.watch" Electronic News
Service, call 800-Watch97. Annual subscriptions are only: $29.95 for
individuals, $39.95 for organizations, and $49.95 for the media. SAVE $5 IF
YOU SUBSCRIBE BEFORE JANUARY 31ST! Why subscribe to another magazine that you
don't have time to read or spend hours accessing webpages? Support the
important work we are doing and let "c.c.watch" serve you!)