Subject: Defeat Jesse Helms in NC!!
From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 1996 12:48:30 -0500

PUBLIC-SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT courtesy of "c.c.watch"-- 
Start Working NOW to Defeat Senator Jesse Helms! 

--Join us SATURDAY, JANUARY 6TH in RALEIGH for an Organizing Meeting (4 - 6:
30 PM) and Community Forum "The 1996 North Carolina Elections and  Our LGBT
Vote" (7: 30 - 9 PM) at Unitarian  Universalist Fellowship, 3313 Wade Avenue
(between Dogwood & Dixie Trail. Take  Wade Avenue/Exit 289 off I-40. Ample
free parking behind Fellowship Hall. Building is wheel chair accessible.) 
--Meeting Agenda: Welcome & introductions;  Discussion--Why Jesse Helms is
beatable in 1996, Lessons from 1990; NC Mobilization '96 work plan: timeline,
budget, state networking, group structure/decision making; Update &
discussion about Democratic challengers Harvey Gantt and Charlie Sanders;
Update on other efforts to defeat Helms: NC CARES, Not Helms PAC, Human
Rights Campaign; Identify other issue areas/people who also want a Helms
defeat and see if/ how we can work in coalition; Volunteer opportunities &
sign up's. No previous experience is necessary to volunteer.  Training's will
be provided;   Small group break out's by volunteer areas.
--Dinner Break from 6:30 - 7: 30 for those staying on for the Community Forum
(There are plenty of nearby places to grab a meal at Ridgewood Plaza or on
Hillsborough Street near the North Carolina State
University campus.  You can also bring your meal back and eat in Fellowship
Hall.)
--Forum agenda: A roundtable discussion on our upcoming 1996 North Carolina
local, state and federal elections (What we need to know about who and what
is up for election as it impacts our 
lesbian/gay/bisexual/transgender community.) Participants: Joe Herzenberg,
Democratic Party activist; MK Cullen, Executive Director of North Carolina
Pride PAC;  Mandy Carter, NC Mobilization '96;  Linda Shealy, North
Carolinians Against Racist and Religious Violence (NCARRV); Paul Falduto,
columnist The Front Page;  Kenda Kirby, candidate Durham County
Commissioners, and You! We want to hear  your opinions, comments and
questions. This event is free and open to the public. 

CONTACT: If you have any questions or need more information please call
Meredith Newnam at (919) 967-4430. If you know that you will be attending
please e-mail your RSVP to Mandy  Carter at [email-masked]. (North
 Carolina Mobilization '96/Mobilizing Our LGBT Vote to Help Defeat Jesse
Helms!/PO Box 28718, Raleigh, NC  27611)

NOTE: Want to know more about the two Democratic challengers Harvey Gantt and
Charlie Sanders? They are both on the internet--Harvey Gantt:
http://www.policy.net/d/gantt/gant96.html; and Charlie Sanders:
http://www.kinetics.net/sanders/Senator Jesse Helms?

( For more information or to subscribe to the "c.c.watch" electronic news
service call 800-Watch 97)