Subject: The Christian Coalition and MLK, Jr?
From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 1995 19:08:55 -0400

To: The c.c.watch Internet Network
Date: October 17, 1995
Subject: From the September issue of "c.c.watch"

SCLC responds to c.c.watch query--

During his speech to the Christian Coalition "Road to Victory" conference,
Ralph Reed asked all the participants to accept, sign and carry in their
wallets a "Christian Coalition pledge card" with seven points printed on the
back like "7. Refrain from the violence of fist, tongue and heart." The
bottom of the card, as Mr. Reed explained, reads: "Based on the pledge
drafted by Martin Luther King, Jr. for the Southern Christian Leadership
Conference." (SCLC)

A few days later, "c.c.watch" posed the following question to the SCLC: "Does
the SCLC feel that the Christian Coalition is using SCLC/memory of Dr. King
to legitimize its work/agenda and also recruit people of color?"

On September 25th we received the following response: "Yes. Further--We
consider the use of SCLC's words as a sly, if not devious, means of seeking
innocence, by pretentious association." --Dr. Joseph E. Lowery, President,
Southern Christian leadership Conference.

P.S. If you are participating in "Praying Through the [10/40] Window II,"
today's 3 target Gateway Cities are Hyderabad, Calcutta, & Kanpur--a total of
20 million people in India considered "unreached." The 10/40 Window is an
area of the world "dominated by Buddhist, Islamic, and Hindu faiths, and
lacking in a substantial Christian presence."

Copyright 1995 Public-Spirited Enterprises

(For more information or to subscribe to the "c.c.watch" newsletter and full
Internet package, call 305/751-5001)