Subject: Pat Robertson to meet with Pope!
From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 5 Oct 1995 13:52:46 -0400

To:         The "c.c.watch" Internet Network
Subject:  FYI/Why is Pat Robertson meeting with Pope John II?
Date:      October 4, 1995

Mr. Joe Zwillig 
Communications Director
Catholic Archdiocese of New York
Fax (212)319-8265 Tel (212) 371-1000 X2990

Dear Mr. Zwillig:

Hope you are well and not under too much pressure with the papal visit.
Nonetheless and per my telephone call to your office this morning, I must ask
about the forthcoming meeting this Saturday evening of the Pope and
"religious leaders" which includes Pat Robertson. We are not surprised that
Mr. Robertson got himself invited to Cardinal O'Connor's home for this
meeting--but we must ask Why? Furthermore, one must also ask exactly which
religion Mr. Robertson--who gave up his ministry in 1988 when he ran for
President--represents. We are sincerely concerned that you, the Cardinal and
His Eminence Pope John II may not fully understand the ramifications of such
an encounter.

As you will remember from our meeting last May, we have great concerns about
the political work of Pat Robertson and his Christian Coalition. In May we
discussed the use of the word "Catholics" by Ralph Reed in his speeches and
in Christian Coalition literature--and also the serious differences between
Catholics and Pat Robertson (like social responsibility, the death penalty,
prayer in schools etc.) You may know that in conjunction with the Pope's
visit the Christian Coalition is launching a "fully-owned subsidiary" called
the Catholic Alliance. I was present at the first organizational meeting of
such at the Christian Coalition's "Road to Victory" conference last September
9th in Washington, DC. With my own eyes I saw how the whole project was so
cleverly wrapped in the words of the Pope's encyclical "Ut Unum Sint." I am
also aware of the purely political motives of Ralph Reed and his organization
for drawing in "ethnic Roman Catholics"...namely controlling the swing
Catholic vote and the new monies that can be raised.

Yes, there is common ground between Roman Catholics and Pat Robertson & Co.
Certainly everyone is entitled to his/her religious beliefs; they should then
be able to live those beliefs in all aspects of their daily lives. But can
that justify working with Pat Robertson, Ralph Reed and the Christian
Coalition for their exclusive and intolerant agenda--and in most distasteful
political ways? What about the serious differences in agenda? Do you really
think that these can so easily be separated out? And what about the money
that will be siphoned away from the Catholic Church and Catholic charities?
Do you honestly believe that Pat Robertson cares about ethnic peoples, or the
Catholic Church, or my own Greek Orthodox Church, or Jews? Pat Robertson
wants people all around the world to raise their hands and accept God on his
terms before "The End of the Age" (2000AD), regardless and even inspite of
any other religions.

This all may sound harsh and extreme, but if you study Pat Robertson, the 700
Club and the activities of his various organizations (as we do) you will come
to realize that it is quite true. If you and the Cardinal and the Pope have
no problem with the above, then there is no problem with meeting with Pat
Robertson. If you have concerns, please consider that every aspect of any
meeting between Pat Robertson and the Pope, every gesture and every word,
will be exploited to a fare-thee-well by Mr. Robertson on the 700 Club, with
Catholic Alliance members, etc. Catholic leaders may believe that Pat
Robertson's political activities can benefit the Church's "political agenda."
But allow us to suggest that in the end it will be the other way around--with
devastating results throughout America. Who will then be responsible? There
are more democratic, more ecumenical ways to promote "religious conservative"
issues than cooperating with the Christian Coalition; and there are many
Christian churches and true Christians with which the Catholic Church can
join for the furtherance of those issues.

We do not expect the Cardinal to disinvite Pat Robertson (could he?), but we
do hope that he considers the above...and that you return our call to tell us
on what basis he was invited. We look forward to it.

        						Most sincerely, 
						Paula Xanthopoulou
						Editor

(For more information or to subscribe to "c.c.watch," call 305/751-5001)