Subject: Christian Coalition heads for Presidency III
From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 1995 02:10:21 -0500

To: The c.c.watch Internet Network
(c.c.watch is a newsletter which monitors the Christian Coalition)
Subject: Christian Coalition Aims to Dominate Nov 18th GOP Straw Poll in FL
Date: November 13, 1995

As The GOP prepares for its Presidency III mock convention/straw poll on
November 17, 18 in Orlando, Florida, the Christian Coalition (CC) is
preparing to be center stage at that event. The CC is a tax-exempt
organization founded and headed by Pat Robertson that claims to be
non-partisan; it denies having any ties with the Republican Party even though
Robertson aims to control the GOP. Published reports,
however, are saying that as many as 30% of the 3,400 straw poll delegates are
affiliated with the CC. Executive Director Ralph Reed, in fact, spearheaded a
campaign last summer to get his followers properly signed-up and  eligible to
be chosen as delegates by county caucuses held in September. Now those
delegates are poised to dominate the proceedings and promote the CC agenda. 
  
Reed will be master of ceremonies at a special CC rally called "God and
Country" which will take place in Orlando on the evening of Friday the 17th.
The program will include "Friend of the Family" awards and speeches by GOP
presidential candidates. The rally will be held at the Westridge Middle
School  gymnasium, about 15-20 minutes from the Orange Convention Center. 

Westridge  is a public school with an enrollment of 1,014 students. A school
official said that the CC had rented the gymnasium and that the go-between
for the transaction was Orange County school board member Bill Spoon.  She
would not confirm whether or not the Coalition had paid the going rate. Mr.
Spoon could not be reached for comment.

Also on Friday evening, "Larry King Live" (9-10:30 PM) will broadcast a live
debate featuring the GOP candidates from the Convention Center. The day will
be devoted to political workshops, seminars, and receptions. The straw poll
will happen on Saturday, followed by a banquet with remarks by Dan Quayle.

(Last Saturday evening, November 11, the Texas Christian Coalition hosted a
"Faith & Freedom Fiesta" in San Antonio also with the participation of Ralph
Reed.  A multi-organizational protest called "Stop the Hate: A vigil Against
Injustice" took place in front of the hotel where the CC event was in
progress. It was organized by the San Antonio Equal Rights Political Caucus.
The vigil was followed by an interdenominational panel discussion which
focused on issues that the lesbian/gay/transgender community has with the
theology and political agenda of the "religious right." The Christian
Coalition was invited and Ralph Reed & Entourage did pay a brief visit. Turns
out that some of Mr. Reed's friends are gay...)

Copyright 1995 Public-Spirited Enterprises 
(For more information on reprinting this article or to subscribe to c.c.watch
call 305/751-5001)