From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 6 Dec 1995 10:14:13 -0500

To:  The c.c.watch Internet Network
Subject:  An Open Letter to Arlen Specter
Date: November 28, 1995

Dear Senator Specter:

We are saddened and disappointed that you have had to suspend your campaign
for the GOP nomination. We hope that you mean it when you say that you will
not suspend your "strong voice."  Indeed, you are the only elected official
or candidate on the national level with the courage to have consistently
challenged Pat Robertson and the Christian Coalition by name and by deed.  We
applaud that...and hope that your message will be not only be heard but also
understood well before the next election. It is imperative.

Christian Coalition spokesperson Mike Russell has gone on record saying that
you had no campaign momentum because you attacked religious conservatives. Of
course, he would do his best to feed the myth that anyone who criticizes the
Christian Coalition or Pat Robertson is a Christian-basher going against the
mainstream. Mr. Russell's boss Ralph Reed went one better when he accused you
of saying things that are "unfair and untrue" about his organization and its
members--and of using bigoted code words like "fringe" and "extremist" to
describe Evangelical Christians. This is the beauty of co-opting the word
"Christian" to cover up a rightwing agenda.

It seemed that you have always been very clear on your respect for "people of
faith" and your criticism of "the far right fringe" for their views and
agendas.  Was it wrong to ask Pat Robertson to take responsibility for things
he has said or written? Or to point out that he uses "people of faith" to
promote a rightwing agenda that is dividing America?  We think not.

Of course you were not invited to address the plenary of the "Road to
Victory" conference! You would not have fit into an agenda of speakers who
were largely either fanning the flame of zealous intolerance and exclusion or
pandering to that agenda. Pat Robertson and the Christian Coalition could not
have afforded to have anyone suggest that their approach is divisive, hardly
patriotic and wrong for America. Casting themselves as pro-family and
everyone who disagrees with them as bad and/or immoral is not just
undemocratic; it is an insidious, irresponsible act that threatens the fabric
of American life.

We hope that you and others will continue to spread this message. We hope
that people will listen and come to understand. Criticism of Pat Robertson
and the Christian Coalition is not a crime against Christianity. It is the
duty of all who believe in America and democracy...and, like you, are willing
to stand up for Liberty and Justice for All.

Most sincerely, Paula Xanthopoulou, Editor of c.c.watch