Subject: LIVE from PIII
From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 1995 11:51:23 -0500

}`HP}.rm 6.90"
.op
.oj off
To: The c.c.watch Internet Network
(c.c.watch is an independent newsletter that monitors the Christian
Coalition)
Subject: LIVE from Presidency III (Orlando, FL)
Date: November 19, 1995

The smoke has cleared here in Orlando, and we are left with the Sunday
morning pundits to tell us what it all meant. Already, the CBS Sunday Morning
show has given us a whole thing about the 64 GOP convention that booed Nelson
Rockefeller (for wanting to take extremists on both ends out of the party)
and nominated Barry Goldwater who said, "Extremism in the defense of liberty
is no vice." 

That kind of atmosphere did not seem to prevail in Orlando, where Pat
Buchanan and Alan Keyes came in 4th and 5th respectively with 17% of the vote
between them. There was a lot of talk about God, and the pro-Life issue was
present but not preponderant by any means. Candidates called themselves
conservative, pro-life and for moral rearmament. But, once again, only Pat
Buchanan qualified as MR. NASTY. 

Arlen Specter, the only pro-Choice candidate, was a no show on Saturday and
lost his place on the ballot. When that was announced by Jeb Bush, no one
cheered or booed. But no one missed him either. Despite his appearance on the
Larry King Live Show debate on Friday evening, Senator Specter had absolutely
no presence at Presidency III--not a hospitality suite, not a pamphlet, not a
sign, not a button, nada.

The Christian Coalition did make a major issue out of abortion--but at its
own rally Friday night at a nearby public school. The place was packed for a
(truly arrogant) message from Ralph Reed...and sales pitches from all the
candidates or their wives. Who follows the Bible most seemed to be the
bellwether on this pandering evening. Lamar Alexander even brought Naomi Judd
to speak on his behalf. FL CC Chairman Dr. Max Karrer told c.c.watch that his
numbers showed that 39% of the 3376 seated delegates were members or
supporters of the CC. He himself endorsed no one candidate. 

(Dr. Karrer also told us that there were 2000 people at the rally. No way. It
was more like 1200 by our count.)

So what do we make of the results (Dole with 33%) in view of the press
conference held by far rightists Paul Weyrich, Gary Bauer and others a few
weeks ago when they said that there is no room in the GOP for Colin Powell or
Rockefeller Republicans. That it is a conservative party, their party,
period. c.c.watch asked Lyn Nofzinger, long-time GOP political operative who
worked for Ronald Reagan: "You're making a mountain out of a molehill! That
has nothing to do with what's going on here. Nothing to do with who the
Party's nominee is going to be. Nothing to do with what the election in
November is going to be like."

From his mouth to God's ear.

(For more information or to subscribe to c.c.watch, call 305/751-5001)