Subject: Rev.Kennedy's "command center"
From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 1995 01:25:09 -0400

Subject: Rev. D. James Kennedy goes to Washington!

(Each month we will bring you a summary/description of a direct mail piece 
sent by one of the groups we monitor to both show you what they are up to and 
give examples of the rhetoric used for fundraising purposes.)

In March, Rev. D. James Kennedy of the Coral Ridge Ministries (Ft Lauderdale, 
FL/800-229-9673) announced at his "Reclaiming America for Christ" conference 
the upcoming establishment of a Center for Christian Statesmanship" in 
Washington, DC--capping his drive to be a national political force. May 
brought a special fundraising appeal describing how  "Now, The Biblical 
Perspective Will Never Be More Than 3 Minutes Away From The Capitol."  (A 
follow-up mailing announced a $200,000 challenge gift and the aim to open the 
Center by the end of the summer.)

Rev. Kennedy wrote of this  "particularly crucial Hour for America" and need 
to "seize this God-given" and "historic" opportunity to establish this 
"ministry command center."  He emphasized that:  "Thanks to the generous 
giving of friends like you last year, our new office will be linked via 
satellite and/or other fiber optics to our studio in Florida. Through this 
state-of-the-art technology, we have the ear of millions of Americans. In 
Washington, this translates into real influence."

He stated that: "In fact, leaders of several other major ministries--including 
the Christian Coalition, Concerned Women for America, and Family Research 
Council--have encouraged me to establish the Washington office. They recognize 
that we bring the crucial biblical perspective to major political 
issues--theological insights into divisive issues like homosexuality and 
abortion."

Furthermore: "Our Washington center will not be simply a hub for civic 
involvement. From this launching pad, we will conduct evangelism--one of the 
most desperately needed activities in Washington! We will share Christ with 
people in need. This will be the highest calling of our Center for Christian 
Statesmanship."

Rev. Kennedy was particularly concerned about "so many conservative freshman 
members of Congress and untested staff members." He went on to say that "they 
are inexperienced and vulnerable to pressure. They are looking for direction 
and support. They want help from someone they can trust. We must be there to 
inform them, to encourage them, to help them stand their ground as the tough 
votes come to the floor of Congress!"

The Center "will work to achieve the goals of our Family Values 
Contract--opposing special privileges for homosexuals, taxpayer-funded 
abortions and pornography, condom distribution in the schools, and the 
so-called `separation of church and state'...and supporting moral school 
curricula, school prayer, respect for the flag, and our Christian heritage." 
And the newly-established satellite and fiber optic capabilities "will keep 
America informed of what is really going on in Washington--not just what the 
left-leaning secular media want you to know."

In sum: "We must be active, we must be aggressive, we must keep the pressure 
on Washington!...My friend, I can assure you of this: because of our presence 
on Capitol Hill, America will feel the difference...We will RECLAIM AMERICA 
FOR CHRIST!"

"And [Kennedy promises] if you give $100 or more, I want to salute your 
generosity by sending you a beautiful Christian Statesman Edition of the New 
Geneva Study Bible. This is a copy of the same Bible which I will present to 
members of Congress as I minister to them through our new  Center for 
Christian Statesmanship."

The 6-page letter was accompanied not only by a pledge card, but a brochure 
entitled "Let's Change the Landscape of Washington, DC..."with maps of the 
capitol indicating that the Center will be strategically located  between the 
White House and the Capitol/Supreme Court. But not to worry! Rev. Kennedy also 
promises: "I will continue to live and minister in Fort Lauderdale, pastoring 
the Coral Ridge Presbyterian Church and ministering to you faithfully through 
our television and radio outreaches."

Copyright 1995 Public-Spirited Enterprises (This article may be reproduced, 
but only in its entirety. For more information or to subscribe to "c.c.watch" 
call 305/751-5001)