Subject: ALERT--Counter Christian Coalition activity at Presidency III
From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 1995 00:56:29 -0500

ALERT

To: The c.c.watch Internet Network
(c.c.watch is an independent newsletter that monitors the Christian
Coalition)
Subject: Speaking out at the GOP FL mock convention/straw poll (Presidency
III)
Date: November 15, 1995
 
Please forward this message to anyone you might know: 1) in the media; or 2)
in the Orlando area.

A. The Florida Interfaith Alliance will hold a press conference on Friday,
November 17th at 4:30 PM in the Butler Room of the Peabody Hotel (9801
International Drive, Orlando/across the street from the Orange County
Convention Center). Members will speak out about their concern over the
Christian Coalition's efforts to control the Republican Party and push it out
of the mainstream. They are reaching out to delegates and GOP Presidential
candidates attending  the convention to demonstrate that an alternative,
mainstream religious voice exists in public debate. Speakers will also
discuss the extremism of the radical religious right's agenda and share with
the public the tactics these groups have used in FL and throughout the
country in elections. Speakers will include members of the clergy and Randall
Wiseman, a member of the Lake County School Board who successful defeated a
radical religious right-backed candidate in the GOP primary. (Contact: Jon
Paone or Rev. James Armstrong at 407/647-2416)

B. On Saturday, November 18, at 11 AM there will be a rally/speak-in/picnic
organized by the Orange County DEC at  the UAW hall in Orlando. (E-mail Doug
Head at [email-masked] for the address.) Cong. Jim Bacchus and others
will speak. Hot dogs will be served. Bring your own whatever else and SIGNS.
The event will end with a motorcade to the Orange County Convention Center
and a demo. "We need people! Spread the word, plan a picnic, motivate the
elderly, the young and the in-between. Think 'nuke Newt' and his program of
social destruction. Rah! Rah! Rah!"

NOTE: The office of the Superintendent of Orange County Schools conducted a
review this week of the Christian Coalition rally "God and Country" to be
held at Westridge Middle School gymnasium Friday the 17th from 5:30-8 PM.
Questions had been raised as to the appropriateness of staging that event at
a public school.  Dr. Mike Mekdeci--Community Relations (407)849-3297--said
that he was satisfied that the CC had met the criteria set down in guidelines
on the "Use of School Facilities for Political Activity." Of main concern was
whether all of the candidates had been invited and whether the event was open
to the public. Mekdesi said that they "would have pulled the plug" on the
event had there been any impropriety as regards the guidelines, but that
otherwise the school is a public facility open to any group that can meet the
criteria. The Interfaith Alliance could not be accommodated at Westridge
because rental space was already spoken for, but the group had been offered
space at a nearby school.  Mekdeci also said that the Pat Robertson campaign
had rented the Dr. Phillips High School last time around, and that the
current rental grew out of that previous relationship.  (The Westridge Middle
School is at 3800 W. Oak Ridge Dr and John Young Parkway, about 15 minutes
north of the Convention Center. Tickets to the rally are $15 in advance or
$20 at the door. The event will feature "Friend of the Family Award" honorees
and remarks by the GOP presidential candidates.)

(For more information or to subscribe to c.c.watch, call 305/751-5001)