Subject: c.c.watch update!!
From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 16 May 1995 15:37:06 -0400

C.C.WATCH ALERT for May 16, 1995

UPDATE: Christian Coalition's "Contract with the American Family" on today's
700 Club

Christian Coalition (CC) Executive Director Ralph Reed appeared live on 
today's 700 Club broadcast to discuss the CC "Contract with the American 
Family" to be released tomorrow in Washington.  His discussion with Ben 
Kinchlow and Terry Meeuwsen was prefaced  by a slick piece which explained 
each of the 10 points, and featured an interview with CC pollster Frank Luntz. 
Luntz--who has previously worked for Ross Perot, Pat Buchanan, and Newt 
Gingrich ("Contract with America")--explained that the CC "contract" had 
universal support that cut across all lines.  His polls showed a 60-90 percent 
approval rating for each individual point.

The "centerpiece" of America's newest "contract" was a proposed constitutional 
amendment for religious equality.  Other points covered local control of 
education, school choice, a family friendly tax policy, "punish criminals not 
victims," parental rights, restoring respect for human life, restricting 
pornography (on Internet and cable TV), support of private charities, and 
privatizing federal funding of culture.

Reed revealed that all 50 CC state chairmen will be in Washington tomorrow to 
pay visits on Senator Dole and Speaker Gingrich.  He reinforced the party line 
of  "10 suggestions, not 10 commandments," but also stated that the points 
were "mainstream positions...the contract for all American people." He added 
that the CC would work closely and sensitively with lawmakers who were "doing 
the Lord's work in the devil's city."  He also insisted that the CC "was 
prepared to stay and stay and stay...for as many Congresses as it takes" to 
see that the "contract" becomes law.

On a related matter, he described the Henry Foster nomination as a "win-win" 
situation for the pro-family movement.  The CC is for the defeat of the 
nomination, "however we have to."  But, he added: "Even if he's confirmed, the 
reality is that he will hang around Bill Clinton's neck like an albatross 
going into the 1996 elections. He will be a symbol of this administration's 
insensitivity to the concerns of pro-family Americans, and if I were Bill 
Clinton and we're smart, I'd be praying that he doesn't get into that job."

Note: Pat Robertson was not in the Virginia Beach studio today.  An earlier 
"news" segment had him phoning in a report from Kinshasa, Zaire, where he was 
working with his African Development Company and Operation Blessing to combat 
the outbreak of the Shigala virus--not the Ebola virus (for which there is no 
cure) but just as bad, and allegedly spread by refugees from Rwanda.

(c.c.watch is a monthly newsletter which monitors the religious right. For 
information or to subscribe, call 305/751-5001, or send a fax to 305/759-7193)