Subject: c.c.watch alert 7/11
From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 1995 20:20:11 -0400

ALERT

To: The "c.c.watch" Internet Network
From: "c.c.watch," an independent newsletter which keeps its eye on the
Christian Coalition and its fellow travelers.
Date: July 11, 1995

The House of  Representatives (Judiciary Committee subcommittee) will hold
its fourth hearing on the proposed "Religious Equality Amendment" (REA) this
coming Friday (July 14) in Oklahoma City at 10 AM in the Engineering Building
Auditorium of OK State University at Northwest 10th and Portland.  This is a
formal House hearing, one of five being held around the country. Members of
the public will be allowed to speak for 3 minutes. But if you want to sign up
to speak, YOU MUST BE THERE EARLY. This site is near the home district of the
Republican Chair of the Committee, Ernest Istook.

The first hearing was held in June 21 in Harrisonville, VA--with a low
turnout by those opposing the proposed amendment due to attempts to keep the
time and place unknown till the last minute. In Tampa on June 23, however,
there was an overwhelming turnout by opponents to the REA due to efforts to
make the facts of the hearing known. That pattern was replicated yesterday in
New York City where a hearing held at Hunter College by six members of
Congress was attended by about 300 people, opponents to the REA outnumbering
proponents by approximately 2-1. Compelling testimony against the proposed
amendment was given by Lisa Herdahl of Ecru, MS, and the Rev. James Forbes,
Co-Chair of the Partnership of Faith.

It is very important that the message be sent to Congress that Religious
Freedom is seriously imperiled by the amendment which is the "centerpiece" of
the Christian Coalition's so-called "Contract with the American Family."  The
REA is the rallying cry of the "religious right," which would have us believe
that Christians are being persecuted across America. As many people as
possible should attend the hearings and testify, or call their Congressperson
and tell her/him that you oppose such a dangerous challenge to the First
Amendment.

The final hearing will be held in Los Angeles on Monday, July 17, at 10 AM at
the Palms Middle School at 10860 Woodbine Street. The hearing will be
preceded by a press conference at 9:30 AM in front of the school under the
auspices of  People For the American Way and other groups/individuals which
oppose the REA.

(For more information or to subscribe to "c.c.watch," call 305/751-5001. For
a more complete report on the REA and the struggle against this dangerous
amendment see the 10-page July-August issue of  "c.c.watch.")