Subject: c.c.watch alert 7/14
From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 1995 19:06:55 -0400

ALERT (please forward as appropriate)

To: The "c.c.watch" Internet Network
From: "c.c.watch," an independent newsletter which monitors the Christian
Coalition and its fellow  travelers.
Date: July 14, 1995  (Happy Bastille Day!)

Part I--The LA public hearing on the Religious Equality Amendment scheduled
for July 17th has been CANCELLED and, according to People For the American
Way, not rescheduled. (Wonder Why? Did the Clinton announcement on religion
in schools rain on the parade? Did pro-REA forces feel like they are not
exactly having their way in these hearings, so why do it again? In any case,
the folks at Pat Robertson's American Center for Law and Justice are feeling
quite smug about what has been achieved so far.) 

Part II--Many folks are focusing on elections regarding the defeat of
rightwing forces. Meanwhile, those forces are--to quote Lee Webb of the CBN
on today's "700 Club"--going to continue to "chip away one block at a time"
at all those things they are against. Congress, especially the House of
Representatives, is busy dismantling everything and THAT IS HAPPENING RIGHT
NOW. Before long, votes will be taken on a number of crucial issues and it
will be years before some of those things can be re-established, if ever. 

The "religious right" believes that it is payback time for its so-called
social agenda; vote for our legislation, you owe us... or we will vote for
someone else next time (especially via the infamous voter guides). Thus the
unusually long legislative fax alert issued yesterday by the Christian
Coalition asking its members to deluge their reps with phone calls urging
them to vote their way on the bills and amendments below:

A. "Three Life Issues to be Voted on by the House Appropriations Committee on
July 20"--

1) Title X..an amendment will be offered by  Chairman Livingston "to
eliminated this failed program." "Swing representatives" on the Comm are
listed as Miller (FL-13), Murtha (PA-12), Regula (OH-16), Bevil (AL-4),
Thornton(AR-2), Hobson (OH-7), Bonilla (TX-23), Skeen (NM-2), Riggs (CA-1),
Lewis (CA-40), Nethercutt (WA-5). 

2)Human Embryo Research...an amendment to ban use of funds for such.

3) Hyde Amendment...Istook of OK will offer an amendment to clarify that
states are permitted but not required to to use Medicaid funds to pay for
abortions in the case of rape and incest.

B. "Other pro-life issues"--

1) The Partial-Birth Abortion Ban Act (H.R.) is in the House Judiciary
Committee which will reconvene Tuesday (18th) at 9:30 AM. Oppose all the
amendments like that offered by Pat Schroeder ("which would gut the bill by
allowing for a 'health' of the mother exception").

2) "As part of the Labor/HHS/Education Appropriations bill, the subcommittee
voted to terminate 176 programs including Goals 2000 and the Office of the
Surgeon Gemeral!!! When the bill comes before the full committee next week,
we expect an amendment to be offered to place restrictions on political
advocacy by federal grantees. We hope to take most of Planned Parenthood's
funding away by defunding Title X, and this amendment would place further
restrictions on political advicay by such liberal groups."

3) On Tuesday (18th) the House Appropriations Committee subcommittee on
Commerce, Justice, State will vote on funding for the Legal Services
Corporation. Support elimination.

Most of the CC legislative directives were aimed at the House Appropriations
Committee. If you do not know if your rep is on that comm, or on the other
committees, it's a chance to call (202/225-3121) to find out and register
your point-of-view in any case. If you need more information, ask your
elected officials for it! If you think your rep supports your point-of-view,
call anyway to give reinforcement and find out what's going on.

To save on long-distance calling, check into Working Assets Long
Distance--which has extended its "Free Speech Everyday" program indefinitely.
Subscribers get 2 free 5-minute calls to Congress every day! For more
information, call (800)788-8588.

(For more information or to subscribe to "c.c.watch," call 305/751-5001. The
current issue includes the lowdown on Christian Coalition training programs
and an exclusive report from inside one of those training seminars--plus lots
more. Keep on top of the CC, their fellow travelers, the issues, and the
opposition by reading this informative and timely monthly report. Subscribers
are entitled to bonus articles/updates via Internet.)