Subject: The GLBO-Centered Film List
From: [email-masked] (Frank Swilling)
Date: Mon, 03 Nov 1997 01:43:13 GMT

The GLBO-Centered Film List
compiled by Frank Swilling
[email-masked]

November 1997 Edition

***** GLBO-Centered U.S. Documentaries *****

Acting Up For Prisoners
	Eric Slade and Mic Sweney, Directors
	1992 : 27 minutes : GLBO :
	Record of AIDS activists forcing US authorities to take action
	in a prison where HIV+ women were being abused.

All Out Comedy
	1993 : 78 minutes : GLBO :
	Bohdan Zachary, Director
	Laugh Out: local comedians Scott Capurro, Marilyn Pittman,
	Tom Ammiano, and Karen Ripley -- taped live at Josie's Cabaret
	and Juice Joint in San Francisco.

Alternative Conceptions
	Christina Sunley and Vicki Funari, Directors
	1985 : 35 minutes : Lesbian :
	A look at artificial insemination for lesbians.

American Fabulous
	Reno Dakota, Director
	1990 : 103 minutes : Gay :
	A gay comedian/commentator named Jeffrey Strouth, who has since
	died of AIDS, sits in the back seat of an old car and tells stories
	about his life.

Anxiety of Inexpression & the Otherness Machine
	Quentin Lee, Director
	1992 : 53 minutes : Gay :
	Twenty-something director Lee turns his camcorder on himself
	in this pastiche of genres as he moves among friends, family,
	and especially in brazen repose with his lover.

Before Stonewall: The Making of a Gay and Lesbian Community
	Robert Rosenberg and Greta Schiller, Directors
	1984 : 87 minutes : GLBO :
	Gay and lesbian culture before the Stonewall uprising.  (Winner
	of 2 Emmys for best historical program and best research.)

Berenice Abbott: A View of the 20th Century
	Martha Wheelock and Kay Weaver, Directors
	1993 : 57 minutes : Lesbian :
	Extensive archival film footage, photographs, and interviews
	with scholars help to reveal the life of one of our greatest
	women artists, who not only endured, but triumphed, writing
	books, patenting inventions, teaching at prestigious universities,
	and giving the world a grand body of work.

Beyond Imagining: Margaret Anderson and the Little Review
	Wendy Weinberg, Director
	1991 : 30 minutes : Lesbian :
	Anderson's Review published work by Gertrude Stein, Djuna
	Barnes, Emma Goldman and many others.  This profile of her
	life, loves, and work details her extensive travels and
	her "romantic friendships" with co-editor Jane Heap, and
	singers Georgette Leblanc (with whom she is buried) and
	Dorothy Caruso (Enrico's widow).

A Bigger Splash
	Jack Hazan, Director
	1974 : 100 minutes : Gay :
	Four years with David Hockney and friends.

Bloodsisters:  Leather, Dykes, and Sadomasochism
	Michelle Handelman, Director
	1995 : 70 minutes : Lesbian :
	An examination of the political activities and sexual
	choices of women in the leather S&M community.  The
	film focuses on nine central figures who represent a
	cross-section of the leather S&M community, and by
	following them, the film provides an in-depth look
	at the world of women into leather S&M.

Cancer in Two Voices
	Lucy Massie Phenix, Director
	1993 : 43 minutes : Lesbian :
	This deeply moving film documents the struggle and courage
	of a lesbian couple dealing with one partner's breast cancer.
	As an intimate home-movie journal, "Cancer in Two Voices" deals
	with their anger and grief, sexuality and friendship, and the
	painful process of confronting death.

Carmelita Tropicana (Your Kunst Is Your Waffen)
	Ela Troyano, Director
	1993 : 30 minutes : Lesbian :
	A sumptuous stew of Puerto Rican lesbians, colonial betrayals,
	tragic Spanish ballads, and contemporary class consciousness.

The Castro
[Neighborhoods: Hidden Cities of San Francisco, The Castro]
	Peter L. Stein, Director
	1997 : 90 minutes : GLBO :
	A history of the Castro district, from Irish family neighborhood
	to beacon of gay liberation.  Rare photos and narration by present
	and former residents helps make this a poignant and fascinating look
	at the evolution of a community. 

A Celebration of Lesbian and Gay Life and Love
	Martha Wheelock, Producer
	1990 : Gay/Lesbian :
	Music Video celebrating the ubiquity and strength of the gay and
	lesbian experience.

The Celluloid Closet
	Rob Epstein and Jeffrey Friedman, Directors
	1996 : 102 minutes : GLBO :
	Lily Tomlin narrates this absorbing "clips and interviews" look back
	at how Hollywood has handled the subject of homosexuality since the
	birth of cinema.  The Celluloid Closet is, of course, based on Vito
	Russo's book of the same name, and he would have been very pleased
	with the way Epstein and Friedman have taken his thesis and turned
	it into an eloquent statement of the extent to which Hollywood might
	be responsible for the homophobia we have to combat today.

Changing Our Minds: The Story of Dr Evelyn Hooker
	Richard Schmiechen, Director
	1992 : 75 minutes : GLBO :
	Using archive footage and interviews charts courageous life
	of the (straight) woman who established that homosexuality is
	not a mental disorder. Fascinating and heart-warming. Nominated
	for Best Documentary in 1993 Academy Awards.

Chicks in White Satin
	Elaine Holliman, Director
	1993 : 27 minutes : Lesbian :
	Two Southern California Jewish lesbians get married in full
	bridal gowns, and the marriage receives mixed support from
	their families.

Choosing Children
	Debra Chasnoff and Kim Klausner, Directors
	1985 : 45 minutes : Lesbian :
	A look at some of the issues surrounding lesbians who became
	parents after coming out.

Coming Out Under Fire
	Arthur Dong, Director
	1994 : 71 minutes : Gay/Lesbian :
	Gays and lesbians who served in the U.S. Armed Forces during
	World War II talk about their experiences.

A Common Flower
	Doreen Bartoni, Director
	1992 : 26 minutes : Lesbian :
	A touching portrayal of two older women in love.  Paula plans
	to go to Russia with her lover Sylvia.  When Sylvia dies, Paula
	prepares to make the trip alone.

Common Threads: Stories From The Quilt
	Robert Epstein and Jeffrey Friedman, Directors
	1991 : 79 minutes : GLBO :
	Several random stories of people represented by squares on
	the AIDS memorial quilt.

Complaints of a Dutiful Daughter
	Deborah Hoffman, Director
	1994 : 42 minutes : Lesbian :
	A jarring account of Hoffman's own struggle with her mother's
	Alzheimer's.  As her mother's condition worsens, she becomes
	more accepting of her daughter's lesbianism.

A Conversation With Brian McNaught On Being Gay
[On Being Gay]
	Ron Robin, Director
	1986 : 86 minutes : Gay :
	Activist, lecturer counselor, and author McNaught discusses
	being gay in a straight world.

Cut Sleeve
	N. A. Diaman, Director
	1992 : 24 minutes : GLBO :
	Kitty Tsui and other local interviewees speak about the
	experience of being gay and Asian.

A Day in the Life of Edmund White
	Bill Cory, Director
	1993 : 37 minutes : Gay :
	America's best known gay novelist, who now lives in Paris,
	tries to prepare for a dinner party, but gets sidetracked
	by fantasies about his personal trainer, an anonymous sex
	date, and a ghastly lunch with the Countess.

Del Martin and Phyllis Lyon
	Marion Barling, Director
	1975 : 28 minutes : Lesbian :
	The founders of "The Daughters of Bilitis" speak their minds.

Denajua: I Like My Name
	Susan Wehling, Director
	1993 : 29 minutes : Transsexual :
	A moving portrait of a charming fashion designer who
	happens to be a male-to-female transsexual.

Dry Kisses Only
	1990 : Lesbian :
	Lesbian subtexts of Hollywood movies are revealed through
	inventive editing, hilarious commentaries and interviews.

The Families We Choose
	Cheryl Qamar and Lisa Pontoppidan, Directors
	1985 : 37 minutes : Lesbian :
	Four lesbian families and other women talk about their lives.

Fast Trip, Long Drop
	Gregg Bordowitz, Director
	1993 : 54 minutes : Gay :
	This stunning film goes for the jugular, speaking out with
	honesty and humor about the state of living with (or dying
	from) AIDS.  Employing historical allegory and documentary
	footage, "Fast Trip" expands our understanding of AIDS, while
	focusing on the filmmaker's complex relationship with his
	parents and Jewish identity.

Fated To Be Queer
	Pablo Bautista, Director
	1992 : 29 minutes : Gay :
	A moving documentary that illuminates issues and concerns
	for the Filipino American gay community.

Fertile La Toyah Jackson Video Magazine
	1993 : 53 minutes : Gay Transvestite/GLBO :
	Vaginal Creme Davis hosts her first hour-long video magazine!
	See Vaginal and her Taste Of Latex publisher pal play Valley Girl
	twins!  See Santa Monica hookers reveal their fashion secrets.
	See Vaginal out-Leeza Leeza Gibbons!

The Films of Barbara Hammer: Lesbian Sexuality
	Barbara Hammer, Director
	1974-76 : 57 minutes : Lesbian :
	Compilation on videotape of short films by the prolific lesbian
	filmmaker, with moods varying from frankly erotic to warmly
	introspective.

For Love and For Life: The 1987 March on Washington for Lesbian and
Gay Rights
	Joan E. Biren, Director
	1988 : 60 minutes : GLBO :
	Vibrant photographic essay recounting the 1987 March on Washington
	and surrounding events, including the display of the Names Quilt,
	the Wedding, and the massive civil disobedience in front of the
	Supreme Court.  This program also provides a brief history of the
	lesbian and gay rights movement and key events that led up to the
	March.  Also available in an open-captioned version.

Framing Lesbian Fashion
	Karen Everett, Director
	1992 : 60 minutes : Lesbian :
	A look at the evolution of lesbian attire and identity, featuring
	interviews with Sally Gearhart, JoAnn Loulan, Arlene Stein, Kitty
	Tsui, and others.

Gay for a Day/Costumes on Review
	Tom Palazzolo, Director
	1976 : 45 minutes : GLBO :
	"Gay for a Day" looks at the 1976 Gay Pride Parade, and
	"Costumes on Review" is a funny look at a gay Halloween party.

Gay Games II: Highlights
	Male Entertainment Network and Wolfe Video, Producers
	1986 : 60 minutes : GLBO :
	You guessed it -- highlights of the second Gay Games.

Gay Games II: Women's Physique
	Male Entertainment Network and Wolfe Video, Producers
	1986 : 90 minutes : Lesbian :
	The women's bodybuilding competition.

Gay, Proud, and Sober
	Jesus S. Trevino, Director
	1978 : 21 minutes : GLBO :
	About alcoholism and its treatment in the gay community.

Gay Voices, Gay Legends
	1988 : 58 minutes : Gay :
	Famous and lesser-known gay men talk about their lives.

Gay Youth
	Pam Walton, Director
	1992 : 46 minutes : Gay/Lesbian :
	The stories of two teens -- Bobby Griffith, who killed himself
	at the age of twenty, and Gina Gutierrez, a 17-year-old high
	school senior who received acceptance and support for her sexual
	identity.

Green on Thursdays
	1993 : 80 minutes : GLBO :
	Dean Bushala and Deirdre Heaslip, Directors
	An important, urgent documentary about anti-gay violence in
	America.  Has a snappy, modern, no-voice-over style.

Greetings From Out Here
	Directed by Ellen Spiro
	1992 : 60 minutes : Gay/Lesbian :
	Made-for-PBS video in which director Spiro goes on a road trip
	throughout the South, interviewing gays and lesbians she finds
	along the way.

Greetings from Washington, D.C.
	Lucy Winer, Director
	1981 : 28 minutes : GLBO :
	Highlights from the first National Gay and Lesbian Rights March
	on Washington, held on October 14, 1979.

Growing Up Gay
	Art Cohen, Director
	1983 : 30 minutes : GLBO :
	Kids in their teens talk about what it's like to be young
	and gay.

The Historic March on Washington: The Largest Gay Rights
Demonstration Ever
	Carl David, Director
	1987 : 58 minutes : GLBO :
	Report on the week's events surrounding the National March on
	Washington for Lesbian and Gay Rights, held on October 11, 1987.

Homo Promo
	19?? : GLBO :
	A collection of trailers for GLBO films from the 30s to the 80s.

Homoteens
	Joan Jubela, Director
	1993 : 60 minutes : Gay/Lesbian :
	Video director Jubela helped five New York City gay and lesbian
	teens produce their own vivid autobiographical video portraits.

Honored by the Moon
	Mona Smith, Director
	1990 : 15 minutes : Gay/Lesbian :
	Documentary about homosexuality among Native Americans.

If She Grows Up Gay
	Karen Sloe, Director
	1983 : 23 minutes : Lesbian :
	About the life of a 19-year-old black lesbian who talks her
	pregnancy and about raising her daughter with her new lover.

In the Best Interests of the Children
	Elizabeth Stevens, Cathy Zheutlin, and Frances Reid, Directors
	1977 : 53 minutes : Lesbian :
	Eight diverse lesbian mothers talk about parenting and child
	custody. Also gives the children's views.

Joggernaught
	Doug Mobley, Director
	1994 : 50 minutes : Gay :
	Spend an imaginative hour with Doug and his daily obsessions:
	car trouble and straight teenagers.

Juggling Gender: Politics, Sex and Identity
	Tami Gold, Director
	1992 : 27 minutes : Lesbian :
	Savvy documentary about a bearded lesbian performance artist.

Just Because of Who We Are
	Toni Dickerson, Director
	1986 : 28 minutes : Lesbian :
	About physical and psychological violence and harassment directed
	against lesbians.

Kiev Blue
	1992 : 28 minutes : Lesbian :
	Heather MacDonald, Director
	A warm and engaging portrait of nine gay men and lesbians in
	Kiev who tell their stories about growing up, coming out, and
	trying to create a community.  In Russian with English voiceover.

Kim
	Arlyn Gajilan, Director
	1988 : 27 minutes : Lesbian :
	About the coming out process of a young Puerto Rican lesbian in
	New York.

Labor More Than Once
	Liz Mersky, Director
	1983 : 52 minutes : Lesbian :
	About Marianne MacQueen, a lesbian mother who's trying to regain
	custody of her son.

Last Call at Maud's
	Paris Poirier, Director
	1992 : 45 minutes (approximately) : Lesbian :
	Billed as a "work-in-progress", this film focuses on the closing
	of the world's oldest lesbian bar in the world, Maud's in San
	Francisco. Tracking lesbian history from the WWII lesbian bar
	scene, to the birth of The Daughters of Bilitis, to the closing
	of Amelia's in 1991, Last Call at Maud's documents the lives and
	histories of some of the major figures in San Francisco's lesbian
	community.

Lesbian Mothers
	Billie Carroll and Ellen Frank, Directors
	1979 : 26 minutes : Lesbian :
	About the social stigma of lesbian motherhood.

Lesbian Tongues
	1989 : 90 minutes : Lesbian :
	Prominent lesbians talk about love, sex, and coming out.

Licensed to Kill
	Arthur Dong, Director
	1997 : 80 minutes : Gay :
	This chilling documentary takes a point-blank look at
	men whose hatred of gay men led them to murder.  Dong's
	skillful interweaving of on-camera interviews, police
	videos of murderers confessing their crimes, news reports
	and actual footage of gay-bashing incidents makes it
	darkly fascinating, but this one is not for the weak
	of stomach.

Lifetime Commitment: A Portrait of Karen Thompson
	Kiki Zeldes and Susan Bruce, Producers
	1988 : 33 minutes : Lesbian :
	About the legal struggles between Ms. Thompson and her lover's
	family over visitation rights after her lover, Sharon Kowalski,
	is critically injured in a 1983 auto accident.

Love Makes a Family
	1992 : 30 minutes : GLBO :
	Marla Leech, Dan Veltri, and Remco Kobus, Directors
	A San Francisco Bay-Area-made portrait of three families,
	demonstrating different ways that lesbians and gays are
	becoming parents today.  Open-captioned for the hearing-
	impaired.

Male Couples: How Relationships Develop
	Peter Frisch, Director
	1985 : 90 minutes : Gay :
	Discussion of the stages of a male couple's relationship, using
	dramatized vignettes of a male couple's life.

The Male Escorts of San Francisco
	Matthew Link, Director
	1992 : 42 minutes : Gay :
	Thoughtful, unsensational, this tape answers almost all the
	questions you might ever have about male escorts.

Meet Bradley Harrison Picklesimer
	1987 : Gay Transvestite :
	Profile of a Kentucky drag queen.

Mondo Rocco
[It's a Gay World]
	Pat Rocco, Director
	19?? : 120+ minutes : GLBO :
	Over two hours of Rocco's classic erotic vignettes along
	with documentary footage of GLBO protest marches.  Features
	early footage of performer Jim Bailey.

Nitrate Kisses
	Barbara Hammer, Director
	1992 : 67 minutes : GLBO :
	Lesbian filmmaker Hammer's "experimental" (read: non-traditional
	filmic styles) film explores the history of lesbian and gay
	culture. Part oral history, part collage, part film montage, the
	film might sometimes get unwieldy, but it remains interesting
	throughout.

No Need to Repent: The Ballad of Rev. Jan Griesinger
	1989 : Lesbian :
	Reverend Jan Griesinger is an "out" minister in the United Church
	of Christ who has integrated her ministry, her politics and her
	personal life. The story of a courageous contemporary feminist,
	this film reveals some of the many levels of her activism.

Non, Je Ne Regrette Rien
	Marlon Riggs, Director
	1992 : 30 minutes : Gay :
	Through music, poetry, and (at times chilling) self-disclosure,
	five serio-positive black gay men speak of their individual
	confrontation with AIDS.

Not All Parents are Straight
	Kevin White, Director
	198? : 58 minutes : Gay/Lesbian :
	A look at parent-child relationships in several gay- or
	lesbian-parent households.

One Foot on a Banana Peel, the Other in the Grave (Secrets From the
Dolly Madison Room)
	Juan Botas and Lucas Platt, Directors
	1993 : 83 minutes : GLBO :
	A doctor's office becomes the unlikeliest salon in this moving
	film produced by Jonathan Demme.  "Banana Peel" documents the
	poignant relationships formed among a group of AIDS patients
	as they confront their illness while exchanging humorous anecdotes
	and sexy stories.  Filmmaker Juan Botas was, among others, the
	inspiration for Demme's Philadelphia.

One Adventure
	Pat Rocco, Director
	1972 : ?? minutes : Gay :
	Troy Perry and six other members of ONE, Inc. travel to European
	countries to meat with other gay rights organizations.  Rocco
	includes an erotic vignette of scantily clad local boys in each
	of the countries they visit.

One Nation Under God
	Teodoro Maniaci, Francina Rzeznick, and Zinka Benton, Directors
	1993 : 83 minutes : GLBO :
	Focusing on the contemporary religious Right Wing proliferation
	of curative therapies for homosexuality, this riveting documentary
	offers historical context as well as a political analysis of this
	frighteningly large movement.

Out For Laughs
	Shan Carr, Director
	1992 : 30 minutes : GLBO :
	Your favorite queer comics show their stuff in this brilliant
	half-hour TV variety show.

Out In Surburbia
	Pam Walton, Director
	1988 : 30 minutes : Lesbian :
	Filmmaker Walton described herself (upon reaching her
	40th birthday) as a woman with a middle class background,
	in the closet and incredibly unconscious.  This film is
	about other women like herself at the time.  It centers
	round the lives of several of her friends, all of whom
	are basically middle class and very mainstream.

Paris Is Burning
	Jennie Livingston, Director
	1991 : 72 minutes : GLBO :
	A look at the drag balls of Harlem and interviews with some of
	the people who enter them, in which drag of every description
	is featured.

Part of the USA: The Official National March on Washington
for Lesbian and Gay Rights Video
	Estelle Dillon, Director
	1987 : 30 minutes : GLBO :
	The only video endorsed by the organizers of the event.

Pink Triangles: A Study of Prejudice against Lesbians and Gay Men
	1982 : 34 minutes : Gay/Lesbian :
	Historical view of homophobia from the Nazi era through the
	present.

Political Funerals
	James Wentzy, Director
	1995 : 29 minutes : GLBO :
	A forceful and moving documentary that reveals a bold new
	new movement within AIDS activism which rejects the notion
	that one should die of AIDS quietly and peacefully.

Portrait of Jason
	1967 : Gay :
	Interview with hustler Jason Holliday.

The Potluck and the Passion
	Cheryl Dunye, Director
	1992 : 22 minutes : Lesbian :
	What happens when you and your lover invite your very different
	friends to a potluck?  Sparks fly, that's what.

Pride
	1989 : Gay/Lesbian :
	ACT-UP New York's DIVA TV (Damned Interfering Video Activists)
	celebrates events of Lesbian and Gay Pride Weekend 1989.

Pride and Prejudice
	Dorothy Engleman, Director
	1992 : 30 minutes : Gay :
	A primer whose topics include homophobia, the closet, and coming
	out today -- nicely spliced together with visual jokes and
	in-the-know references.

The Queen
	Frank Simon, Director
	1968 : 68 minutes : Gay Transvestite/Transsexual :
	Behind the scenes of the 1967 Miss All-America Camp Beauty
	Pageant.  Full of playfulness, humor, back-biting competition,
	and no-holds-barred glamour.

Queens of Columbus: Performance and the Art of Illusion
	Thomas Baumann, Director
	1992 : 28 minutes : Gay Transvestite :
	Everything you ever wanted to know about drag queens (old
	school.)  Unapologetic, tightly focused, and very engaging.

Queers Among Queers: A Bay Area Perspective
	C. B. White, Producer
	1994 : 30 minutes : Bisexual :
	An articulate series of interviews with bisexual community
	activists.

Ray Navarro Memorial Tape
	Catherine Saalfield and Gregg Bordowitz, Directors
	1990 : 30 minutes : Gay :
	A tribute to the AIDS activist and videomaker, who died while
	making a work about Latino gay male assimilation into white gay
	culture.

Resident Alien
	1990 : 85 minutes : Gay :
	A look at the life of Quentin Crisp as an aging gay man living
	away from his native England in New York City.

Rights and Reactions: Lesbian and Gay Rights on Trial
	Phil Zwickler and Jane Lippman, Directors
	1988 : 56 minutes : Gay/Lesbian :
	About the passage of the 1986 Gay and Lesbian Rights bill in New
	York.

The Salt Mines
	1990 : Gay Transvestite :
	A group of homeless, urban, Hispanic drag queen prostitutes on
	crack live in a junk yard in a secluded area alongside the Hudson
	River known as the Salt Mines. Powerful and grim.

Sacred Lies, Civil Truths
	Catherine Saalfield and Cyrille Phipps, Directors
	1993 : 60 minutes : GLBO :
	The GLBO community responds to the Christian Right's slanderous
	pseudo-documentary "The Gay Agenda".

Sex Is...
	Marc Huestis, Director
	1992 : 80 minutes : Gay :
	Radical, graphically illustrated dialogue on gay male sexuality,
	including -- but not limited to -- oral sex, anal sex, S&M,
	B&D, cross-dressing, masturbation, phone sex, home-video porn,
	nipple stimulation, smooching and fondling, slow dancing, and
	the finer points of eroticized, comdom-equipped "safer sex."

She Don't Fade
	Cheryl Dunye, Director
	1991 : 23 minutes : Lesbian :
	A self-reflexive look at the sexuality, love life, and
	friendships of a young urban black woman.

Silent Pioneers
	Lucy Winer, Director
	1984 : 43 minutes : Gay/Lesbian :
	Interviews and profiles of six gay and lesbian senior citizens.
	Also examines services available to gay seniors around the US.

Silverlake Life: The View From Here
	Tom Joslin and Peter Friedman, Directors
	1993 : 99 minutes : Gay :
	Video diary of Tom Joslin and Mark Massi's life together, their
	love for and commitment to each other, and both their battles
	against AIDS.

Sisters in the Life
	Yvonne Welbon, Director
	1993 : 23 minutes : Lesbian :
	An experimental narrative focusing on Donna, a thirtysomething
	black lesbian, who recalls her first experience with platonic
	love as a fourteen-year-old.

The Sluts and Goddesses Video Workshop, or How To Be A Sex Goddess
In 101 Easy Steps
	Maria Beatty and Annie Sprinkle, Directors
	1992 : 50 minutes : Lesbian :
	Learn how to have more sensual and sexual pleasure in your life.
	Follow along as Annie Sprinkle catalogs the joys of sex, along
	with her "Transformation Facilitators", which include Diviana
	Ingravallo, Jocelyn Taylor, and Carol [Scarlot Harlot] Leigh.

Sonia Johnson: Going Farther Out of Our Minds
	198? : 100 minutes : Lesbian :
	Author Sonia Johnson explores how women can leave patriarchy
	behind and begin living in a new world right now.

Split: William to Chrysis: Portrait of a Drag Queen
	1992 : 58 minutes : Transsexual Drag :
	Andrew Weeks and Ellen Fisher Turk, Directors
	Witty and tender portrait of a New York "chick with a dick",
	a companion of Salvador Dali, who recreated herself as various
	stars and danced and stripped from seedy joints to glamorous
	nightclubs.

Storme: The Lady of the Jewel Box
	Michelle Parkerson, Director
	1987 : 21 minutes : Female Transvestite :
	Intimate profile of Storme DeLaverie, former emcee and male
	impersonator of the celebrated Jewel Box Revue -- America's
	first integrated female impersonation show.

Tim Miller: Loud and Queer
	Richard L. Harrison, Director
	1993 : 30 minutes : Gay :
	Excerpts from performance artist Miller's work "My Queer Body"
	are intercut with interviews and images spanning his 15-year
	career.

The Times of Harvey Milk
	Robert Epstein, Director
	1984 : 88 minutes : Gay :
	The life and death -- by assassination -- of San Francisco
	Supervisor Harvey Milk.

Tiny and Ruby: Hell Divin' Women
	Greta Schiller and Andrea Weiss, Directors
	1988 : 30 minutes : Lesbian :
	Biography of jazz trumpeter Ernestine "Tiny" Davis and her
	lover/partner of over 40 years, drummer Ruby Lucas, aka Renee
	Phelan.

TLC:  Year With A Leather Club
	Randy A. Riddle, Director
	1994 : 80 minutes : Gay :
	A look at Greensboro, North Carolina's Tarheel Leather Club, a
	social/political/educational group devoted to Leather and S/M.
	Through extensive interviews with the club's members, the history
	and culture of this traditionally Gay male underground movement is
	discussed, along with TLC's activities and the daily lives of the
	members themselves.

Toc Storee
	Ming-Yuen S. Ma, Director
	1991 : 21 minutes : Gay :
	A multilevel narrative in which stories from Japanese and
	Chinese history as well as the contemporary experiences of
	three Chinese and Japanese American gay men -- and texts by
	James Baldwin and T. Minh-ha -- are juxtaposed with each
	other to create an open sense of tradition and resonance.

Tongues Untied
	Marlon Riggs, Director
	1989 : 55 minutes : Gay :
	Director Riggs uses poetry, rap, interviews and dramatic
	situations to express the oppression faced by black gay men
	in America today.

Turnabout:  The Story of the Yale Puppeteers
	Dan Bessie, Director
	1993 : 60 minutes : Gay :
	They're entertainers, they're 92 years old, and they're gay.
	"Turnabout" is the amazing story of The Yale Puppeteers --
	Harry Burnett, his cousin Forman Brown, and Brown's lover
	Roddy Brandon -- who travelled through America for more than
	70 years with their unique puppets and satirical songs.

Two Spirit People
	Lori Levy, Gretchen Vogel, and Michel Beauchemin, Directors
	1991 : 23 minutes : GLBO :
	Charts Native American beliefs about sexual orientation and
	gender.

Two Spirits
	T. Osa Hidalgo, Director
	1993 : 27 minutes : GLBO :
	Lesbian and gay Native Americans reflect on identity, gender,
	culture, and race.

Unzipped
	Douglas Keeve, Director
	1995: 86 minutes : Gay :
	This documentary about the making of designer Isaac Mizhrahi's fall
	1994 collection is filmed with style and is interesting as a glimpse
	into the fashion world.  But as the film's focus, Mizrahi becomes
	nattering and tiresome.

Voices of Life
	Patrick Wright, Director
	1991 : 33 minutes : Gay :
	A clever deconstruction of conventional AIDS documentaries, which
	alerts us to how appearances can be deceiving.

War on Lesbians
	Jane Cottis, Director
	1992 : 35 minutes : Lesbian :
	Drawing on various pop culture conventions and referents,
	director Cottis poses as a gallery of characters and incorporates
	the subject of lesbianism into every imaginable area.

We Are Family
	Dasal Banks, Director
	1987 : 57 minutes : Gay/Lesbian :
	Examines daily life of parents and children in gay and lesbian
	families.

West Coast Crones: A Glimpse at the Lives of Nine Old Lesbians
	Madeline Muir, Director
	1991 : 28 minutes : Lesbian :
	Nine old lesbians, ranging in age from 61 to 76, speak about
	their lives, their sexuality, internalized and external ageism
	and the process of growing old.

Who Happen To Be Gay
	Dale Beldin and Mark Krenzien, Directors
	1979 : 23 minutes : Gay :
	Six openly gay professional men talk about their lifestyle and
	its impact on them, their families, friends, and colleagues.

Wigstock: The Movie
	Barry Shils, Director
	1994 : 82 minutes : Gay Transvestite :
	Once an underground happening, Wigstock has blossomed into a world
	renowned event where some of the biggest names in music perform
	alongside drag superstars and queer idols.  This is a refreshingly real
	but celebratory look at the high-polish event and the pioneers who
	started it all, including founder and emcee The Lady Bunny, and with
	a dazzling cast of thousands including RuPaul, Lypsinka, Joey Arias,
	Deee-Lite, Debbie Harry, and Jackie Beat.

Wild Life
	John C. Goss, Director
	1985 : 40 minutes : Gay :
	Examines the social milieu of two 15-year-old Latinos in LA,
	mixing documentary-style interviews with vignettes about their
	fantasy lives.

A Woman's Place is in the House
	Nancy W. Porter and Mickey Lemie, Directors
	1976 : 28 minutes : Lesbian :
	Portrait of Elaine Noble, first woman and self-avowed lesbian
	elected to the Massachusetts legislature.

World of Light: A Portrait of May Sarton
	Marita Simpson and Martha Wheelock, Directors
	1979 : 30 minutes : Lesbian :
	Interviews with and readings from the works of 70-year-old
	author May Sarton.

Word Is Out: Stories of Some of Our Lives -- Conversations with
16 Gay Men and Women
	Andrew Brown, Director
	1977 : 45 or 130 minute versions available : Gay/Lesbian :
	Interviews with gays and lesbians from different backgrounds
	and discussions of how they deal with their sexuality and with
	society's attitude towards them.

You Can Fight City Hall
	Vivian Schaefer, Director
	1986 : 30 minutes : GLBO :
	Details the struggle of the Columbus, Ohio gay community to
	add the words "sexual orientation to existing job protection
	legislation.

***** GLBO-Centered Non-U.S. Documentaries *****

After the Revolution
	Lizzie Thynne, Director
	1993 : UK : 27 minutes : Gay/Lesbian :
	In this made-for-Channel-Four production, sexual
	repression in the former Czechoslovakia is examined
	from the points of view of gay and lesbian couples who
	recount how they found each other and what they've gone
	through to maintain their relationships.

All Out Dancing in Dulais
	Lesbian and Gay Support the Miners Group, Directors
	198? : UK : Gay/Lesbian :
	Recounts the formation of an unusual alliance between a group of
	young gays and lesbians from London and a group of miners from
	Wales during a Welsh miner's strike in 1984-85.

Anatomy of Desire
	Jean-Francois Monette, Director
	1995 : Canada : 50 minutes : GLBO :
	An exploration of the role science has played -- for good
	and ill -- in shaping society's understanding of homosexuality
	throughout the 20th century.

Armisted Maupin is a Man I Dreamt Up
	Kate Meynell, Director
	1992 : UK : 60 minutes : Gay :
	A made-for-BBC look at San Francisco, and the man whose "Tales
	of the City" series have inspired thousands to move there.

Army of Lovers, or Revolt of the Perverts
	Rosa von Praunheim, Director
	1978 : West Germany : Gay :
	Highly subjective, heavy-handed view of the gay movement in
	America, telling its story through a series of interviews
	interspersed with newsreel footage, still photo montages,
	snippets of marches and rallies, and agitprop gay theatre.

Black Bag: Gender Bender
	Laurens C. Postma, Director
	1993 : UK : 25 minutes : Gay Transvestite :
	Made-for-Channel 4 episode of a series about black issues,
	called "Black Bag."  This episode, called "Gender Bender,"
	is a short portrait of Winston, England's answer to RuPaul
	and a dead ringer for Naomi Campbell.

Boy Next Door?  A Profile of Boy George
	Mark Kidel, Director
	1993 : UK : 50 minutes : Gay Transvestite :
	This portrait of Boy George covers 9 years, from the sudden
	success of Culture Club to George's rebirth as a solo act.
	An hypnotic story of narcissism and neediness, drugs and drag.

Bright Eyes
	Stuart Marshall, Director
	1986 : UK : 85 minutes : GLBO :
	Made-for-BBC 3-part video which examines the historical and
	social factors influencing current reactions to homosexuality
	and AIDS.

Coming Out of the Iron Closet
	Larry Peloso, Director
	1995 : Canada : 40 minutes : GLBO :
	The filmmakers visit several Soviet Bloc countries and inter-
	view political activists, entertainers, transsexuals, and one
	very supportive mother of a gay son.  You won't want to miss
	the scenes at the gay nude beach in Moscow or the opening of
	their first-ever state sanctioned gay nightclub.

Confession of a Pretty Lady
	Kris Clarke and Sarah Mortimer, Directors
	1993 : UK : 70 minutes : Lesbian :
	Everything you ever wanted to know about Sandra Bernhard, from
	home movies to interviews with her mother, aunt, uncle, directors
	she's worked with, famous people who know her, and extensive
	footage taken from her movie and stage performances.

Corps de Parole
	Suzanne Vertue, Director
	1989 : Canada : 37 minutes : Lesbian :
	The life and times of French writer Michele Causse.

Cover Comrades in Arms
	1990 : UK : Gay/Lesbian :
	Six lesbians and gay men recall living, loving and serving in the
	British armed services in World War II.

Daddy and the Muscle Academy
	Ilppo Pohjola, Director
	1992 : Finland : 55 minutes : Gay :
	Combines interview material with Tom of Finland, and hundreds of
	his drawings, with testifying "Tom's men", from Drummer Daddies
	to fellow artists. This controversial film also includes some
	steamy invented sequences -- a sort of "journey to the center of
	Tom's psyche."

Darker Side of Black
	Isaac Julien, Director
	1993 : UK : 55 minutes : GLBO :
	Director Julien (Young Soul Rebels) takes a hard look at the
	controversial trend among reggae and rap artists of calling for
	the death of gays and lesbians. The film includes interviews with
	rappers Shabba Ranks and Buju Banton, who use religion to justify
	their homophobic brand of music.

Derek Jarman, Know What I Mean
	Laurens C. Postma, Director
	1988 : UK : 52 minutes : Gay :
	An overview of the controversial artist's life and work.

Desire
	Stuart Marshall, Director
	1989 : UK : 90 minutes : Gay :
	A view of gay life in Germany before the Holocaust.

Enchanted
[Verzaubert]
	Dorothee von Diepenbroick, Jorg Fockele, Jens Golombek, Dirk
	Hauska, Sylke Jehna, Claudia Kaitenbach, Ulrich Prenn, Johanna
	Reutter, and Katrin Schmersahl, Directors
	1993 : Germany : 89 minutes : Gay/Lesbian :
	Life for suspected gays and lesbians in the 40s and 50s in
	Hamburg, Germany, is recounted by the thirteen men and women
	interviewed here.  Looking back on a forgotten period of German
	history, they recall appalling anecdotes with calm, charm, and
	courage; and through their spirit, the film becomes an inspiring
	story about gay and lesbian heroism and endurance.  In German
	with English subtitles.

Equinox: The Gay Gene
	Simon LeVay, Director
	1992 : UK : GLBO :
	LeVay examines the scientific, political and social motives
	for and of his research on the pre-determination of sexual
	orientation in this film made for a scientific program slot on
	the UK's Channel 4.

Every Conceivable Position: Inside Gay Porn
	Clare Beavan, Director
	1992 : UK : 50 minutes : Gay/Lesbian :
	A fresh and thoughtful look at the modern gay and lesbian porn
	industry, including behind-the-scenes interviews with stars,
	producers, and commentators. This documentary was commissioned by
	the BBC, who allowed the filmmakers to include clips, so long as
	genitals weren't visible.

Eunuchs: India's Third Gender
	Michael Yorke, Director
	1991 : UK : 40 minutes : Gay :
	A made-for-BBC look at some of the more than half a million
	eunuchs -- or hijiras -- in India today. This film captures the
	pleasures and contradictions of a living alternative to Western
	ideas about gender.

Feed Them To The Cannibals
	Fiona Cunningham Reid, Director
	1992 : Australia/UK : 67 minutes : GLBO :
	All about the annual Mardi Gras in Sydney, Australia.

Female Misbehavior
	Monika Treut, Director
	1983-92 : Germany/USA : 80 minutes : Lesbian/Bisexual/Transsexual :
	Four short portraits of "misbehaving" females compiled:
	'Bondage', about lesbian S&M-er, 'Annie', about ex-porn star
	Annie Sprinkle, 'Dr Paglia' and 'Max', about a female-to-male
	transsexual.

Flesh & Paper
	1990 : UK : Lesbian :
	The life and writings of the lesbian writer and poet Suniti
	Namjoshi, who is from an Indian royal family and resides in
	England. Includes interviews with her friends and with the
	young Indian women who take her as a role model.

Flowing Hearts: Thailand Fights AIDS
	John Goss, Director
	1992 : Thailand/USA : 32 minutes : GLBO :
	The White Line Dance Troupe uses Thai and modern dance to enact
	AIDS awareness. Thai gay/AIDS activists are interviewed.

Forbidden Love
	Aerlyn Weissman and Lynne Fernie, Directors
	1992 : Canada : 85 minutes : Lesbian :
	The history of lesbians in Canada during the era of lesbian pulp
	fiction like Anne Bannon's novels of the 50s and 60s is brought
	to life with humor, newsreel footage and Sapphic memorabilia.
	Women ranging in age from 40 to 70 share their experiences.

Framed Youth
	Jeff Cole and others, Directors
	1983 : UK : 50 minutes : GLBO :
	British teens confront straights in London about their views on
	homosexuality with amusing and revealing results.

Fresh Talk
	Teresa Marshall and Craig Berggold, Directors
	1992 : Canada : 30 minutes : Gay/Lesbian :
	After a 10-day workshop on youth and sexuality, thirty young
	Canadians (gay and straight) expressed themselves to the camera.
	In this excerpted version, the gay and lesbian youth in the
	group talk frankly about race, sex, abuse, body image, coming
	out, and the emotional aspects of their lesbian and gay sexuality.

The Gay Rock and Roll Years
	Shauna Brown, Director
	1991 : UK : 60 minutes : GLBO :
	A history of the gay/lesbian movement from 1954-1991 as seen
	from clips from the BBC archives and set to the rock'n roll
	music of those years.

Glad To Be Gay, Right?
	1993 : The Netherlands : 48 minutes : GLBO :
	Andre Reeder, Director
	Made for Dutch TV, this documentary features five gripping
	coming-out stories, of which three are told by people of color.

Glitterbug
	Derek Jarman, Director
	1994 : UK : 52 minutes : Gay :
	A luminous, lyrical history of the director's life between
	1970 and 1986, set to new music by Brian Eno, and composed
	entirely of Super 8 footage Jarman shot through the years.

Handel und Wandel
	Katharina Geinitz, Director
	1983 : West Germany : Lesbian :
	Loving docudrama about the filmmaker's girlfriend -- a vital,
	energetic lesbian.

The Hunting Season
	Rita Moreira, Director
	1992 : Brazil : 30 minutes : GLBO :
	Brazil's gay and lesbian population are being slaughtered in
	a ghastly series of hate crimes.  Intercutting scenes from
	Hollywood movies (The Deer Hunter and Cruising), director
	Moreira stops people on the streets of Sao Paolo for a quick
	health check on the state of the nation.  "They should be
	killed," is the most common reply.

Improper Conduct
[Mauvaise Conduite]
	Nestor Almendros and Orlando Jimenez-Leal, Directors
	1984 : France : 112 minutes : Gay :
	Documents all persecution in Castro's Cuba, including that of
	gays.

I Need a Man Like You ... To Make My Dreams Come True
	Kalli Paakspuu and Daria Stermac, Producers
	1986 : Canada : 24 minutes : Lesbian : Variety :
	Inside a lesbian/feminist cabaret which lampoons sex roles and
	stereotypes.  Includes performances by comedian Sheila Gostick,
	the singing group The Clichettes, and storyteller Helen Potter.

In the Out Tray
	Albany Video, Director
	198? : UK : 76 minutes : Gay/Lesbian :
	Examines the issue of lesbian and gay employment rights.

A Kind of Family
	Andrew Koster, Director
	1992 : Canada : Gay :
	A profile of the relationship and family life of a gay city
	counselor and his straight, street-kid, hustler, drug-abusing,
	HIV+ foster son.

Ladies Please
	Andrew Saw, director
	1996: Australia :50 minutes : Gay Transvestite :
	A profile of three real-life drag performers who inspired
	the film "Priscillia, Queen of the Desert."

Ladyboys
	1992 : UK : 60 minutes : Male Transvestite :
	Jeremy Marre, Director
	Made-for-Channel 4 look at two teenage Thai boys as they
	try to escape rural poverty by becoming successful "katoi", or
	female impersonators.

Lesbians Against the Right
	1981 : Canada : 45 minutes : Lesbian :
	Addresses the attempts by the New Right to blame society's ills
	on gays, immigrants, and the women's movement.

Looking for Langston
	Isaac Julien, Director
	1988 : UK : 48 minutes : Gay :
	Documents the life and times of gay black poet Langston Hughes.

The Making of "Monsters"
	1991 : Canada : Gay :
	George Lukacs is a Marxist literary critic and has made films
	such as Star Wars, about American Imperialism in the space age.
	Berthold Brecht is a catfish and renowned playwright. They team
	up to film the musical "Monsters", about 4 Toronto schoolboys
	who killed a gay highschool teacher. Indescribable, absurd, and
	hilarious.

Maybe I Can Give You Sex?  Part I
	Jurgen Bruning, Director
	1992 : Philippines/Germany : 30 minutes : Gay/Bisexual :
	Parts I and II of this tape are a collaboration between directors
	Rune Layumas in Manila and Jurgen Bruning in Germany.  The videos
	look at gender roles in the Philippines and examine the lives of
	macho dancers, bar boys, and their customers.

Maybe I Can Give You Sex?  Part II
	Rune Layumas, Director
	1992 : Philippines/Germany : 19 minutes : Gay/Bisexual :
	Parts I and II of this tape are a collaboration between directors
	Rune Layumas in Manila and Jurgen Bruning in Germany.  The videos
	look at gender roles in the Philippines and examine the lives of
	macho dancers, bar boys, and their customers.

Memoire de notre hystoire 1972-1987
	Diane Heffernan and Suzanne Vertue, Directors
	1987 : Canada : 184 minutes : Lesbian :
	Depicts lesbian history in Canada through the years 1972-1987
	as seen by two lesbian feminists.

Michael, A Gay Son
	Bruce Glawson, Director
	1981 : Canada : 27 minutes : Gay :
	Explores the feelings and experiences of gays coming out to
	their families by following one man through the process.

Minoru and Me
	Toichi Nakata, Director
	1992 : UK : 45 minutes : Gay :
	A brutally honest real-life, as-it-happens drama of a man with
	cerebral palsy trying to come out to the filmmaker, his friend.
	As the filmmaker becomes increasing obsessed with portraying the
	physically challenged man as disabled and dependent, the man with
	cerebral palsy becomes increasingly disgusted and unable to state
	what he's traveled all the way from Japan to say.

Montgomery Clift
	Claudio Masenza, Director
	1985 : Italy : 90 minutes : Gay :
	Biography which deals extensively with the actor's homosexuality.

My Living Room is a Theatre
	Claudia Prietzel, Director
	1992 : Germany/UK : 48 minutes : Gay :
	A front room in Brixton is a venue for gay performers, and for
	the host, Ernst Fischer.

Off the Rails
	Stephen Hawthorne, Director
	1991 : UK : 48 minutes : Gay :
	This is a segment from a BBC show called "Video Diaries", in which
	ordinary people are given a camera and allowed to create their own
	personal video diaries.  In this one, 18-year-old gay male Stephen
	Hawthorne revisits his strictly religious provincial parents, and
	chronicles a few weeks in the life of his relationship with his
	urban boyfriend Bertie.

On Her Baldness
	Wendy Rowland, Director
	1991 : Canada : 30 minutes : Lesbian :
	Bold testament to women coming out as bald.

Over Our Dead Bodies
	1991 : UK : GLBO :
	Documentary examining the direct action gay movement, including
	ACT-UP, Queer Nation and OUTRAGE in the United States and the
	United Kingdom.

Oy Gay
	Rosalind Haber, Director
	1992 : UK : 29 minutes : Gay/Lesbian :
	A made-for-BBC account of the political and cultural concerns
	of gay and lesbian Jews, primarily those in the United Kingdom.

A Place of Rage
	Pratibha Parmar, Director
	1991 : UK : 52 minutes : Lesbian :
	Lesbian filmmaker Parmar directs this tribute and celebration
	of African-American women and their accomplishments.

Positive
	198? : West Germany/USA : Gay/Lesbian :
	A documentary about the rise of the AIDS activist movement in the
	US. The focus is on New York City. Footage of GMHC, ACT-UP etc.

Prison for Women
	[P4W, Pan Canadian Prison for Women]
	Janis Cole, Director
	1981 : Canada : 81 minutes : Lesbian :
	A film about a woman's prison in which lesbians, among others,
	are jailed.

Pout #3
	Pout Collective, Directors
	1993 : UK : 60 minutes : GLBO :
	The hilarious antics of the irreverent British Pout collective
	focus on Safer Sex in this third wild episode of their made-
	for-home-video series.

Queers Are Not Enough
	1992 : Canada : 30 minutes : GLBO :
	This vigorous overview of 1990's Gay Games critiques issues
	around assimilation, diversity, co-optation and representation.

Rasen No Sobyou
[Sketch of a Spiral (?)]
	Yasushi Kojima, Director
	1991 : Japan : Gay :
	A group of gay men in Osaka prepares a theater play.

Robert Mapplethorpe
	Nigel Finch, Director
	1988 : UK : 60 minutes : Gay :
	Made-for-BBC profile of controversial photographer Mapplethorpe,
	tracing his development from Brooklyn art school bad boy to Man-
	hattan celebrity darling.

Saint Genet
	Nigel Williams and Charles Chabot, Directors
	1985 : UK : 60 minutes : Gay :
	Made-for-BBC interview with author Jean Genet, who granted the
	interview just days before his death.

Seams
	Karim Ainouz, Director
	1993 : Brazil/USA : 30 minutes : GLBO :
	A personal account of Brazil's social and sexual constraints for
	women and gay men, seen through the eyes of the women in the
	director's family.

Sex Wars
	1993 : UK : 30 minutes : Gay/Lesbian :
	Cheryl Farthing and Penny Ashbrook, Directors
	A made-for-BBC exploration of the questions: what do gay men think
	about lesbians, and what do lesbians think about gay men?

Sharing the Secret
	John and Rose Kastner, Directors
	1981 : Canada : 84 minutes : Gay :
	The lives and feelings of several gay men are explored as they
	go through their day-to-day lives.

Silence = Death
	198? : West Germany/USA : Gay/Lesbian :
	A documentary about several New York-based performance artists,
	including Diamanda Galas, David Wojnarowicz, and Emilio Cubeiro,
	whose work discusses issues related to AIDS.

Storm in a Teacup
	1992 : UK : 44 minutes : Gay/Lesbian :
	Emma Hindley, Director
	This made-for-Channel 4 history of lesbian and gay pre-70s
	meeting places in London includes and introduction to "Polari", the
	unique British gay slang.

Susana
	Susana Munoz (Some sources list Susana Blaustein), Director
	1980 : Argentina/USA : 25 minutes : Lesbian :
	Autobiographical sketch of a young Argentine lesbian who has
	to deal with her family's disapproval as well as her emerging
	lesbian identity.

Thank God I'm a Lesbian
	Laurie Colbert and Dominique Cardona, Directors
	1992 : Canada : 60 minutes : Lesbian :
	Refreshing challenge to myths and demons as diverse dykes talk
	about lesbian identity. Issues range from coming out, racism,
	feminism, and bisexuality to S&M and outing. Includes Sarah
	Schulman, Nicole Brossard, Dionne Brand, Julia Creet and Lee
	Pui Ming.

That's Masculinity
	Marc Munden, Director
	1991 : UK : 40 minutes : Gay :
	Campy and erotic answers to the ever pervasive questions about
	sex and gender.

Trojans
	1990 : UK : Gay :
	A look at nineteenth century Greek poet Constantine Cavafy,
	whose work is loaded with homoeroticism and motifs from Greek
	history. The film reflects the same heady ambience using sexy
	Derek Jarmanesque super-8 visuals and the poet's work on the
	soundtrack.

To My Women Friends
	1993 : Russia/Germany : 64 minutes : Lesbian :
	Natasha Sharandak, Director
	Revealing interviews with six Russian women convey the joys and
	hardships of being lesbian in Russia.  Touches on a range of
	issues including women's prisons, trassexuality, lesbian and
	gay community, organizing, coming out, and homophobia.

Two or Three Things I Know About Them
	Anson Mak, Director
	1991 : Hong Kong : 39 minutes : Lesbian :
	An experimental four-part video that deals with the issues and
	concerns of an emerging lesbian community in Hong Kong.

Veronica 4 Rose
	Melanie Chait, Director
	1985 : UK : 45 minutes : Lesbian :
	A made-for-BBC documentary about teenage lesbians growing
	up in several diverse English cities.

Walk on the Wild Side
	James Marsh, Director
	1993 : UK : 40 minutes : Gay Transvestite :
	Meet some of the people behind the classic Lou Reed song
	celebrating '60s transgenderism, including Joe Dallesandro
	and Holly Woodlawn.

We've Been Framed
	Cheryl Farthing, Director
	1991 : UK : 25 minutes : Lesbian :
	Lesbians talk about the best, worst, and first lesbian film
	they've seen.

What Shall We Do Without Death
	Elfi Mikesch, Director
	1980 : West Germany : 105 minutes : Lesbian :
	A female couple who have vowed to spend the rest of their
	lives together are the focus of this film about a retirement
	home in Hamburg.

When Shirley Met Florence
	Ronit Bezalel, Director
	1994 : Canada : 28 minutes : Lesbian :
	Shirley, a Polish refugee, is straight.  Florence is a lesbian.
	These two remarkable Jewish women talk about their fifty-five
	year friendship, about Shirley's marriage to Florence's brother,
	about Florence's lover Sophie, and about the traditional Yiddish
	music they play together.

Whoever Says the Truth Shall Die
	Philo Bregstein, Director
	1981 : The Netherlands : 60 minutes : Gay :
	A made-for-Dutch-TV film about the life and murder of
	filmmaker/poet Pier Paolo Pasolini.

Witches, Dykes, Faggots, and Poofters
	Digby Duncan, Director
	1979 : Australia : 45 minutes : Gay/Lesbian :
	Documents the oppression of gays and lesbians throughout history,
	focusing on Sydney and New South Wales.

A Woman of My Platoon
	Marilyn Burgess, Director
	1989 : Canada : 20 minutes : Lesbian :
	Juxtaposes the experiences of lesbians serving in the Canadian
	armed services during WWII against a modern debate in the
	Canadian parliament concerning a bill which would prevent
	discrimination against lesbians and gays in the armed services.

Women Like That
	Suzanne Neild, Director
	1991 : UK : 25 minutes : Lesbian :
	Follows eight of sixteen lesbians who participated in the 1990
	British TV documentary "Women Like Us."  Here the women discuss
	how their lives have changed since the broadcast of the original
	program.

Working Class Dykes From Hell
	Jacquie Lawrence, Director
	1992 : UK : 20 minutes : Lesbian :
	A Made-for-BBC look at working class British lesbians, who
	talk about class differences in the lesbian community,
	organizing political consciousness, and developing a sense
	of community.

***** Gay-Centered U.S. Films *****

Abuse
	Athur J. Bressan, Junior, Director
	1983 : Gay : Drama :
	A young boy, abused at home, finds love with a gay filmmaker.

Agora
	Robert and Donald Kinney, Directors
	1992 : 73 minutes : GLBO : Drama :
	An agoraphobic gay man meets a gay couple and a lesbian couple
	in midwest hotel. Parallels between GLB repression and his phobia
	are drawn in this complex, meditative melodrama.

Alexander: The Other Side of Dawn
	John Erman, Director
	1977 : 106 minutes : Bisexual : Drama :
	This made-for-TV movie is a sequel to one called "Dawn: Portrait
	of a Teenage Runaway".  This time, Dawn's boyfriend, Alexander,
	runs off to Hollywood looking for her, and ends up turning tricks
	for women and men on Hollywood Boulevard because he can't find
	a job.

All About Alice
	Ray Harrison, Director
	1974 : 80 minutes : Gay Transvestite : Drama :
	Drag reworking of 'All About Eve', starring Warren Fremming
	as Frieda, who plots to steal a Broadway star's career and
	muscle-bound boyfriend.

And the Band Played On
	Roger Spottiswoode, Director
	1993 : 141 minutes : GLBO : Drama :
	Dramatization of the events surrounding the beginning of the AIDS
	epidemic, taking the point of view that just about everybody who
	was in a position to do something to stem the spread of AIDS at the
	outset failed to act because of politics or petty ego.

An Empty Bed
	Mark Gasper, Director
	1988 : 56 minutes : Gay : Drama :
	A day in the life of 60-something Bill Frayne, a gay man living
	in Greenwich Village.  Flashbacks connect his past with the present.

As Is
	Michael Lindsay-Hogg, Director
	1986 : 86 minutes : Gay : Drama :
	A man who has contracted AIDS from a lover who then abandoned him
	moves in with his caring ex-lover.

Bike Boy
	Andy Warhol, Director
	1967 : 110 minutes : Gay/Gay Transvestite : Drama :
	Young working class motorcyclist Joe Spences is the object of
	everyone's desire, but he's completely out of his element in
	the sophisticated world of Warhol's Superstar friends -- Viva,
	Ingrid Superstar, Brigid Polk, and Ed Weiner.

The Birdcage
	Mike Nichols, Director
	1996 : 118 minutes : Gay/Gay Transvestite : Comedy :
	This, of course, is "La Cage Aux Folles" without the subtitles.
	That's the only reason I can see for the remake, as I found the
	French orginal more witty, more charming, and more humane.  But
	if you absolutely can't abide subtitled or dubbed films, read
	the plot description of La Cage Aux Folles and pick this one
	up.  You could do worse.

The Boys in the Band
	William Friedkin, Director
	1970 : 118 minutes : Gay : Drama :
	The first Hollywood movie to feature male homosexuality, in which
	a straight man is the accidental guest at a birthday party with
	one of each of the major gay male subgroups except for leather.

Boys Life 2
	Mark Christopher, Tom DeCerchio, Nickolas Perry, Peggy Rajski, Directors 
	1997 : 74 minutes : Gay : Comedy/Drama :
	A compilation of four short films.  In "Trevor", a young sissy boy has
	to deal with homophobia and his first crush.  "Nunzio's Second Cousin"
	has a gay cop turn the tables on a would-be basher by forcing him at
	gunpoint to come to his home and have dinner with him and his mom.
	"Alkali, Iowa" is a bittersweet farm story about a gay man uncovering
	his dead father's secrets.  "Must Be The Music" follows a quartet of
	sarcastic, beeper-carrying teens looking for love in the San Fernando
	Valley dance clubs.

Breaking the Surface: The Greg Louganis Story
	Steven Hilliard Stern, Director
	1997 : 121 minutes : Gay : Biography :
	The Olympic champion swimmer narrates, but does not star in, his life
	story.  Racism (he's half Samoan, and the other kids called him "nigger"),
	a difficult relationship with his demanding, distant adopted father,
	trouble with alcohol, coming to terms with his gayness, discovering his
	abusive manager-lover and he are both HIV-positive -- there's a lot of
	darkness in this man's life, and this biopic doesn't back away from it.
	But his gifts as a diver help him find courage and the strength to cope.

Buddies
	Arthur J. Bressan, Jr., Director
	1985 : 81 minutes : Gay : Drama :
	A gay activist who has AIDS starts out hating the yuppie
	volunteer who comes to take care of him out of a sense of duty,
	but their brief relationship is both poignant and intense.

Cabaret
	Bob Fosse, Director
	1972 : 124 minutes : Bisexual/Gay/Transvestite : Musical :
	A brilliant, if loose, interpretation of Christopher Isherwood's
	"The Berlin Stories", about life in pre-WWII Berlin.  Some kink,
	some camp, and a love affair between Liza Manelli's Sally Bowles
	and Michael York's Brian that is doomed by his homosexual urges.

The Christine Jorgensen Story
	Irving Rapper, Director
	1970 : 89 minutes : Transsexual : Biography :
	The world's most famous male-to-female sex change story.

Citizen Cohn
	1992 : 112 minutes : Gay : Biographical Drama :
	Frank Pierson, Director
	Made-for-HBO movie about infamous lawyer Roy Cohn, a Jew who
	prosecuted the Rosenbergs, a queer-hating homosexual who was the
	prime shaker behind Senator Joe McCarthy's anti-communist &
	homosexual witch-hunt in the 1950's. Includes such delightful
	scenes as Cohn being entertained after dinner at J. Edgar
	Hoover's home by Hoover's true love -- Deputy FBI Director Clyde
	Tolson -- at the piano, and a restaurant scene with Cohn eating
	from the plate of one the other most influential right-wing
	closet-cases of the day: Francis Cardinal Spellman.

The Clay Farmers
	A. P. Gonzalez, Director
	1988 : 60 minutes : Gay : Drama :
	Young farmhand Dan is paired with Mike, a handsome drifter hired
	to work for an absentee landowner.  Their idyllic friendship is
	shattered when the abusive father of Gary, their 10-year-old
	neighbor, spies the trio bathing in the nude at a secluded
	swimming hole.  Unjustly accused of wrong-doing, Dan and Mike
	must face the true meaning of their intimacy -- and the misdirected
	anger of a suddenly hostile town.

Compulsion
	Richard Fleisher, Director
	1959 : 103 minutes : Gay : Drama :
	Two wealthy, neurotic teens who are obviously loversplan the murder
	of a young boy to prove their superiority to others.  Based on the
	Leopold-Loeb murder case in Chicago, the film makes the homosexual
	relationship very apparent for a film of its time.

Consenting Adult
	Gilbert Cates, Director
	1985 : 100 minutes : Gay : Drama :
	Made-for-TV movie about a teenage boy who comes out to his
	parents. Mom eventually comes around, but Dad would rather die,
	and does.

Cruising
	William Friedkin, Director
	1980 : 106 minutes : Gay : Drama :
	Extremely negative film about gay murders and the undercover cop
	trying to solve them, but who turns into a killer faggot himself
	from exposure to the New York leather scene.

The Dead Boys' Club
	Mark Christopher, Director
	1992 : 25 minutes : Gay : Comedy :
	Toby's cousin gives him a pair of shoes previously owned by the
	cousin's deceased lover. When Toby wears the shoes, he's
	transported to the 70s pre-AIDS world of disco, hot guys, and
	glitter balls, juxtaposing the generational differences that AIDS
	has wrought.

Deaf Heaven
	Steve Levitt, Director
	1993 : 25 minutes : Gay : Drama :
	An accomplished and affecting drama about a young man tending
	to his dying lover, which touches on AIDS, angels, faith, and
	the Holocaust.

Death In Venice, CA
	P. David Ebersole, Director
	1994 : 30 minutes : Gay : Drama :
	A handsome scholar is suddenly plunged into a passion he has
	studied but never known, and the object of his passion is a
	drop-dead gorgeous 18-year-old youth.

Deathtrap
	1982 : 116 minutes : Gay : Mystery :
	Sidney Lumet, Director
	Michael Caine plays a has-been playwright who may get another
	chance at fame whem former student Christopher Reeve sends him
	his script.  Caine plans to murder his former student and take
	the script as his own.  Ah, but there's a lot more here than
	meets the eye, as counterplot follows plot, hidden relationships
	get uncovered, and an elaborate hoax is slowly revealed.

Deathwatch
	Vic Morrow, Director
	1967 : ?? minutes : Gay : Drama
	Rarely-seen film version Jean Genet's play of a brutal prison
	love triangle.  Leonard Nimoy and Paul Mazursky are deadly
	rivals for the attentions of Michael Forest.

A Different Story
	Paul Aaron, Director
	1978 : 107 minutes : Gay/Lesbian : Drama :
	A gay man and a lesbian are thrown together by circumstances,
	come to feel great affection for one another, fall in love, get
	married, and have a baby.

The Disco Years
	Robert Lee King, Director
	1992 : 30 minutes : Gay : Drama :
	Set in the times of pet rocks, gas lines, and macrame, a high
	school student's sexual passions are stirred in his gym class.

Dog Day Afternoon
	Sidney Lumet, Director
	1975 : 130 minutes : Bisexual/Gay : Drama :
	A gay man robs a bank to pay for his male lover's sex-change
	operation. Based on a true story.

Doing Time on Maple Drive
	Ken Olin, Director
	1992 : 90 minutes : Gay : Drama :
	A teenager comes to grips with his gay identity and tries to
	come out to the rest of his dysfunctional suburban family in
	this made-for-TV movie.

Drum
	Steve Carver, Director
	1976 : Gay : Drama :
	A white plantation owner and his gay pal rape black men.

An Early Frost
	John Erman, Director
	1985 : 100 minutes : Gay : Drama :
	Made-for-TV movie about a family having to deal with their son's
	AIDS.

A Friend of Dorothy
	Raoul O'Connell, Director
	1994 : 25 minutes : Gay : Comedy :

Forms and Motifs
	Margaret Hetherman, Director
	1994 : 40 minutes : Gay Transvestites : Comedy :
	This award-winning film was inspired by Kalman
	Egyed's collection of exquisite beadwork and
	embroidery designs.  A young woman, CeCe, is not
	satisfied with the direction her life is taking
	when she discovers her grandfather's portfolio of
	designs.  She decides that these exquisite patterns
	need to come to life and enlists the help of her
	surrogate family, 3 lively drag queens.

Fortune and Men's Eyes
	Harvey Hart, Director
	1971 : 102 minutes : Gay : Drama :
	A tough, tragic story involving violence, sex roles, and epic
	bitchiness in a men's prison.

Frisk
	Todd Verow, Director
	1995 : 90 minutes : Gay : Drama :
	Based on Dennis Cooper's novel of homosexuality, sadism, and
	insanity, this still-unfinished movie-in-progress is structured as
	complexly as the novel itself.  Two brothers traveling on a train
	read letters written by the protagonist, Dennis, who may or may
	not be a serial killer.  In what may or may not be fictional letters,
	Dennis explicitly details his gruesome acts of sexual torture, which
	culminate in murder.  Apparently the movie was a little too rough
	in all respects for the S.F. International Lesbian and Gay Film
	Festival crowd -- crowds of angry patrons were headed for the
	exits long before the movie was over.

Fun Down There
	Roger Stigliano, Director
	1988 : 89 minutes : Gay : Drama :
	The life and loves of a guy who leaves his home in upstate New
	York for Manhattan.

The Genesis Children
	Anthony Aikman, Director
	1972 : 84 minutes : USA/Italy : Gay : Drama :
	A joyous celebration of innocent youths on a journey of
	self-discovery. Controversial even today because of its
	uninhibited naturist sentiments.

Grief
	Richard Glatzer, Director
	1993 : 87 mintues : Gay : Comedy :
	The creative staff of a Grade-Z daytime courtroom soap opera
	is the focus of this good-natured comedy by writer/director
	Glatzer.  The hero, like Glatzer in real life, has lost his
	lover to AIDS, is afraid to take the HIV-antibody test, and
	doesn't know how to get back into the dating scene.  He's
	surrounded by a gang of sardonic gay underachievers and
	unlucky-in-love straight women who get along better with
	their gay pals than with their would-be boyfriends.  Their
	lives are almost as bizarre as the soap opera they write,
	called "The Love Judge", which features an assortment of
	of legless lepers, stripper nuns, and lesbian trapeze artists.

Harold and Hiroshi
	Ed Askinazi, Director
	1989 : 38 minutes : Gay : Drama :
	College romance between a Jewish boy and a Japanese boy, set
	in a New England university on the eve of the bombing of Pearl
	Harbor.

Horror Vacuii
	Rosa von Praunheim, Director
	1984 : Gay : Drama :
	A gay man tries to save his lover from a religious cult.

Hustler White
	Bruce La Bruce and Rick Castro, Directors
	1995 : 80 minutes : Gay : Pseudo-documentary :
	A wild ride along Santa Monica Boulevard, the boy-toy
	walk of fame, following streetwise but accident-prone
	hustler Monti. Along with Bruce and an assortment of
	underground dignitaries and porn divas, we track Monti
	through his typical routine of various sordid and
	bizarre encounters with hustlers, johns, and
	pornographers.

I'll Love You Forever... Tonight
	Edgar Michael Bravo, Director
	1993 : Gay : Drama :
	An aimless, painfully slow film by first-time director Bravo
	which concerns the life of a young gay photographer in Los
	Angeles and the romantic machinations of his small circle of
	friends.  All talk and no action.

In and Out
	Frank Oz, Director
	1997 : 90 minutes : Gay : Comedy :
	We've come a long way, baby.  1997 will be remembered as the
	year straight male actors were falling all over themselves
	playing gay men in the movies.  In this one, Kevin Kline and
	Tom Selleck do a very funny job of it.  Kline plays a deeply
	closeted midwestern English teacher who is outed when a former
	student blurts out to the world that he's gay at an Oscar
	telecast.  Kline denies it, and is due to marry long-time
	fiance Joan Cusack within days of the Oscars.  Selleck is a
	a gay TV-news-show reporter who's hot on the trail of the story.
	And from there it's just one funny gag after another.  It's
	mindless, silly, gay-positive fun, and maybe it's even paving
	the way for out gays and lesbians to openly play straight
	characters to packed theatres.

In Plain View
	Felix Olivier, Director
	1993 : USA/France : 25 minutes : Gay/Bisexual : Drama :
	In New York, day after day, and old writer watches the
	tumultuous lives of his neighbors, Pierre, and his bisexual
	Brazilian lover, Ulyseus.

It's My Party
	Randal Kleiser, Director
	1996 : 105 minutes : Gay : Melodrama :
	Nick Stark has AIDS, and it takes the form of brain lesions
	that are going to wipe his personality and leave him a vegetable.
	He decides to take matters into his own hands and take a life-
	ending overdose of pills after gathering all his loved ones for
	a big farewell bash.  Of course, his estranged ex-lover hears
	about it, and against everyone else's wishes, has to show up and
	and make his peace.  It's maudlin, it's stagey, but it worked for
	me, and there are some wonderful cameos interspersed among what
	I thought were some very affecting performances.

Jeffrey
	Christopher Ashley, Director
	1995 : 92 minutes : Gay : Comedy :
	Paul Rudnick adapted his play for the screen, with mixed
	results.  The dialogue and situations are funny enough, but
	the pacing seems slow, and Steven Weber's Jeffrey isn't
	nearly as appealing a character as Patrick Stewart's Sterling.

Johns
	Scott Silver, Director
	1997 : 96 minutes : Gay : Drama :
	John and Donner are two teenage male hustlers plying their
	trade on Santa Monica Boulevard.  John is a burn-out whose
	only dream is to earn $300 so as to spend the eve of his
	21st birthday in a posh hotel.  Donner is an urchin whose
	father has disowned him.  He's in love with the older boy,
	and wants them both to escape to Camelot, a medieval theme
	park in Branson, Mo., where redemption, deliverance, and
	jobs as lifeguards supposedly await them. 

Kiss Me, Guido
	Tony Vitale, Director
	1997 : 92 minutes : Gay : Comedy :
	In New York slang, a "Guido" is a stereotypical Italian
	guy: self-absorbed, macho, not too bright, and much too
	fond of gold chains.  In this happy little sex farce,
	Frankie is a "Guido" who thinks his path to show biz will
	be paved by his ability to quote lines from De Niro and
	Joe Pesci movies.  When he meets up with Warren, an actor/
	choreographer who has just dumped his unfaithful boyfriend,
	and desperately needs a roommate, what follows is a romp
	of mistaken identities, false assumptions, culture clashes,
	and a whole new meaning for GWM.  (Frankie reads Warren's
	ad for a roommate, and thinks GWM means Guy With Money.)

Lie Down With Dogs
	Wally White, Director
	1994 : 84 minutes : Gay : Drama :
	Tommie, fed up with his tawdry life in New York, decides
	to escape to fabulous boy-filled Provincetown, where he
	begins searching for the ideal houseboy gig.  During his
	frustrating job hunt, he meets Guy, a tireless party animal
	who lets *nothing* get between him and a good time.
	Tommie also gets sexually involved with Tom, a good-
	for-nothing but incredibly hot moocher who survives
	by bumming everything from cheesburgers to cigarettes.
	It's an emotionally unfulfilling but sexually gratifying
	adventure, but then Tommie meets up with seemingly
	unattainable mega-hunk Ben on the bike trail.

The Living End
	Gregg Araki, Director
	1991 : 85 minutes : Gay : Drama :
	Two fatalistic L.A. boys -- one an impulsive, on-the-edge psycho
	cutie, the other a lover of Godard movies who listens to The
	Smiths a lot -- discover they're HIV positive and set off on an
	unplanned, unhinged cross-country spree of violence and abandon.

Longtime Companion
	Norman Rene, Director
	1990 : 96 minutes : Gay : Drama :
	In 1970s New York, a bunch of gay friends are having wonderful
	lives, until one by one, most of them start getting sick with
	AIDS.

Love! Valor! Compassion!
	Joe Mantello, Director
	1997 : 115 minutes : Gay : Drama :
	Eight gay men come to terms with life, death, infidelity, and
	the meaning of friendship over the course of three holiday
	get-togethers at one of the friend's country home.

Making Love
	Arthur Hiller, Director
	1982 : 112 minutes : Bisexual/Gay : Drama :
	A handsome young doctor leaves his beautiful young wife for a
	handsome young writer.

Mala Noche
	Gus van Sant, Director
	1985 : 78 minutes : Gay : Drama :
	A well-adjusted young gay grocery clerk falls in love with
	a 16-year-old Mexican illegal alien who doesn't return his
	feelings.

Man of the Year
	Dirk Shafer, Director
	1996 : 85 minutes : Gay : Pseudo-documentary :
	In 1992, Dirk Shafer was Playgirl's "Man of the Year."  Now,
	Shafer has made a "mock documentary" about what that was like.
	The thing is, Shafer's dramatic focus is that he thinks he has
	to keep the Playgirl editors from finding out he's gay, or they'll
	take his title away, or something.  Interviews with friends, the
	only woman he ever slept with, his sister -- all actually written
	by Shafer.  Oh, well, he ain't hard to look at.

M. Butterfly
	David Cronenberg, Director
	1993 : 101 minutes : Gay Transvestite : Biographical Drama :
	This film is based on the real-life story of a French diplomat
	who fell in love with a mysterious opera singer in 1960's China.
	He became a spy out of love for her, and was devastated to
	learn, after he had been caught and brought up on charges,
	that his "female" lover was a man.

Mishima: A Life in Four Chapters
	Paul Schrader, Director
	1985 : 121 minutes : Gay : Biography :
	An unusual dramatic film done in three unique visual styles,
	shifting from a quasi-documentary view of Mishima, Japan's
	finest post-war author, to black-and-white flashbacks and
	excerpts from his novels.

Mountains of the Moon
	Bob Rafelson, Director
	1990 : 135 minutes : Gay : Biographical Drama :
	Epic about explorers Richard Burton and John Hanning Speke
	and their 1857 expedition to discover the source of the Nile.
	The film makes it quite clear that Speke is homosexual, and,
	in fact, quite taken with Burton. This storyline is not the
	main thrust of the film, however.

My Own Private Idaho
	Gus van Sant, Director
	1991 : 105 minutes : Gay : Drama :
	A narcoleptic hustler looking for some love in his life and a
	bisexual hustler who'd do anything to outrage his father go on a
	search for their own identities.

Naked Lunch
	David Cronenberg, Director
	1992 : 115 minutes : Bisexual : Drama :
	A dazzling, disturbing adaptation of William Burrough's landmark
	novel in which bug poison (drugs), death, and the creative process
	are interwoven into a surrealistic nightmare from which there is
	no wake-up call.

Nocturne
	Mark T. Harris, Director
	1989 : 100 minutes : Gay : Drama :
	A contemplative coming of age story about Martin, a shy pianist
	new to New York, who meets the handsome Gino. Martin thinks he's
	found his match, but Gino only wants a casual sexual liaison. As
	Martin slides into obsession he is forced to deal with a terrible
	secret from his past.

Norman, Is That You
	George Schlatter, Director
	1976 : 92 minutes : Gay : Comedy :
	A butch gay black youth is in love with a nelly white youth, and
	the black youth's parents are both about to have a heart attack
	over it.

Ode to Billy Joe
	Max Baer, Director
	1976 : 100 minutes : Gay : Drama :
	Bobbie Gentry's song gets turned into a movie and you get to
	find out what Billy Joe was doing up there on Tallahatchee
	Bridge.

Our Sons
	1992 : Gay : Drama :
	Made-for-TV movie about the mothers of two gay sons who are
	lovers; one of the sons is dying of AIDS.

Parting Glances
	Bill Sherwood, Director
	1986 : 90 minutes : Gay : Drama :
	Lovers find their relationship is falling apart because one is
	getting ready to take a job in Africa; the other has to also cope
	with his ex-lover and dear friend, who has contracted the AIDS
	virus.

Partners
	James Burrows, Director
	1982 : 98 minutes : Gay : Comedy :
	Insulting, homophobic, and crude story of a straight cop posing
	as a gay man along with a real gay man in order to solve some
	murders in the gay community.

Philadelphia
	1993 : 119 minutes : Gay : Drama :
	Jonathan Demme, Director
	A gay lawyer is fired because he has AIDS, but the lawyer he hires
	to sue his former firm is as homophobic as the people he's suing.

Pink Narcissus
	1970 : 70 minutes : Gay : Drama :
	Caballeros and bike boys, striptease and tearoom sex. This film
	delves beneath the surface of gay sex fantasies.

Poison
	Todd Haynes, Director
	1991 : 85 minutes : Gay : Drama :
	A trio of stories based on the writings of Jean Genet, which
	explore patricide committed by a young boy, the influence of
	horror films on American society, and sex in a men's prison.

Pool Days
	Brian Sloan, Director
	1993 : 27 minutes : Gay : Drama :
	A new pool attendant finds himself the object of desire for
	both the health club's aerobics instructor and a male club
	member.

Public Opinion
	Ted Dvoracek, Director
	1993 : 24 minutes : Gay :
	A stylized, serious piece about a priest, an actor, and a
	bathhouse.

The Ritz
	Richard Lester, Director
	1976 : 95 minutes : Gay : Comedy :
	I keep taking this one off the list because none of the central
	characters are GLB or O, and people keep writing me asking why
	it isn't on the list, so I give up.  This riotously funny farce
	centers around a straight garbage collector hiding out from
	his Mafia-connected brother-in-law.  What does he pick as his
	hide-out?  A gay bathhouse full of zanies.

Rock Hudson's Home Movies
	Mark Rappaport, Director
	1992 : 62 minutes : Gay : Comedy :
	A Rock Hudson look-alike impersonates the star as he takes us
	through an array of cleverly-edited clips of Hudson's films and
	confesses to all the homosexual connotations in this comic
	pseudo-documentary.

Roommates
	Alan Metzger, Director
	1994 : 100 minutes : Gay : Drama :
	Made-for-TV movie about two men with AIDS-related illnesses,
	one straight and one gay, who become unwilling roommates in an
	apartment building run for AIDS patients.

Sergeant Matlovich vs. U.S. Air Force
	Paul Leaf, Director
	1978 : 104 minutes : Gay : Docudrama :
	Made-for-TV movie about Matlovich's fight to stay in the Air
	Force despite his revealed homosexuality.

Six Degrees of Separation
	Fred Schepisi, Director
	1993 : 111 minutes : Gay : Comedy :
	A glib, savvy young black man cons his way into the lives of an
	affluent white couple on the basis of his pretense of being the
	son of actor Sidney Portier and a friend of their own son from
	college.

Smoke
	Mark D'Auria, Director
	1993 : 90 minutes : Gay : Drama :
	Michael, an alienated loner with a penchant for fiftysomething
	men, works as bathroom attendant in a fancy Manhattan hotel.
	Submerged in a self-deprecating search for a father figure,
	he pursues a married detective (whom we never see), and is in
	turn pursued by a mafia-type ex-boyfriend who bullies and
	intimidates him throughout the film.  Religious, erotic,
	obsessive and inescapable.

Some of My Best Friends Are...
[The Bar]
	Mervyn Nelson, Director
	1971 : 109 minutes : Gay : Drama :
	One night in the life of a pre-Stonewall bar in Greenwich
	Village.

Something For Everyone
	Harold Prince, Director
	1970 : 110 minutes : Bisexual : Comedy :
	A bizarre black comedy with a dash of sophistication and
	wit.  A sexy opportunist in lederhosen  wants the castle of
	the Countess Von Ornstein and is perfectly willing to sleep
	with -- and kill -- everyone in sight to get it.

Streamers
	Robert Altman, Director
	1983 : 118 minutes : Gay : Drama :
	On the eve of being shipped to Vietnam, four soldiers confront
	each other with mounting tension over death, madness, and
	homosexuality.

Summer Kiss
	1987 : 48 minutes : Gay : Drama :
	Falling in love story about two young men who go to the same
	school, meet on a Provincetown Ferry, and begin to build a
	relationship. Recalls much of the universal pain, confusion,
	and embarrassing foolishness of first love.

Swoon
	Tom Kalin, Director
	1991 : 92 minutes : Gay : Drama :
	A reexamination of the infamous Leopold and Loeb murder case,
	focusing on their homosexuality and its relevance to their crime.

That Certain Summer
	Lamont Johnson, Director
	1972 : 73 minutes : Gay : Drama :
	Made-for-TV movie about a father trying to re-establish a
	relationship with his son after leaving the boy's mother for
	another man.

Thundercrack
	Curt McDowell, Director
	1976 : 150 minutes : GLBO : Comedy :
	A bizarre black comedy wherein the visitors to an "old dark
	house" are terrorized by a bunch of perverts who sexually
	assault them.

Tidy Endings
	Gavin Miller, Director
	1988 : 60 minutes : Gay : Drama :
	Made-for-TV movie about the aftermath of a man dying of AIDS:
	his male lover and his ex-wife have to come to legal and
	emotional terms.

Token of Love
	H. D. Motyl, Director
	1993 : 31 minutes : Gay : Drama :
	This tale of a gay breakup adds an erotic shower scene, and
	blends it all into an eerie Twilight-Zone style drama.

Torch Song Trilogy
	Paul Bogart, Director
	1988 : 121 minutes : Gay/Gay Transvestite : Comedy/Drama :
	Harvey Fierstein wrote and stars as a professional drag queen
	looking for love and respect all through the '70s in New York.

To Ride a Cow
	Quentin Lee and Deeya Loran, Directors
	1993 : 24 minutes : Bisexual : Drama :
	A salty and deeply atmospheric story about a young Asian guy
	who won't commit to his girlfriend (who's too smart for him
	anyway) or to the boy he screws when he just wants sex.

Totally F***ed Up
	Gregg Araki, Director
	1994 : 85 minutes : Gay/Lesbian : Drama :
	A pessimistic and unsentimental exploration of the lives of
	a group of disaffected gay and lesbian teens living on the
	fringes in L.A.

To Wong Foo, Thanks For Everything, Julie Newmar
	Beeban Kidron, Director
	1995 : 108 minutes : Gay : Comedy/Drama :
	Vida and Noxeema are two sophicated New York drag queens
	who let hard-luck "drag princess" Chi-Chi tag along with
	them as they drive to Hollywood in pink Cadillac for a
	major drag competition.  On the way, they run afoul of
	a sexist, homophobic cop, get stuck in a small Nebraska
	town, and change the lives of everyone they encounter there.

The Twilight of the Golds
	Ross Marks, Director
	1997 : 95 minutes : Gay : Drama :
	This made for Showtime movie examines the possible
	consequences of genetic testing.  What if you were
	pregnant and a genetic test revealed that your child
	would be gay?  Well, in this particular Los Angeles
	Jewish family, the reactions would be extreme from
	all parties, from your husband to your parents to
	your gay brother.  By the time the family has finished
	melting down over the issue, everyone's cards are on
	the table and the hands they show aren't very pretty.

Vaudeville
	Ira Sachs, Director
	1990 : 55 minutes : GLBO : Drama :
	Comic portrayal of a third-rate theatrical troup and their
	love-hate relationships.

A Very Natural Thing
	Christopher Larkin, Director
	1974 : 80 minutes : Gay : Drama :
	This film tries to explore gay male relationships first from
	the point of view of trying to maintain a monogamous relationship
	and when that fails, from the POV of having a lot of empty,
	meaningless sex.

Victor
	Christopher Leo Daniels, Director
	1992 : 30 minutes : Gay : Drama :
	A sublime, substantial, and sexy dream-drama about an
	African-American soldier, whose relationship with his boyfriend
	and father are revealed in flashbacks during a military
	interrogation.

Victor, Victoria
	Blake Edwards, Director
	1982 : 133 minutes : Gay : Comedy :
	Female to male cross-dressing is featured in this farce about a
	woman pretending to be a man pretending to be a woman in 1920s
	Paris, but there is also some campy male-to-female cross-dressing.

What Really Happened to Baby Jane
	Ray Harrison, Director
	1963 : 50 minutes : Gay : Drama :
	Remake of the legendary movie as a 'silent'.

World and Time Enough
	Eric Mueller, Director
	1995 : 90 minutes : Gay : Drama :
	Mark is a sculptor who mounts politically-based environmental
	installations, and Joey is his teddy-bear boyfriend, a highway
	garbage collector.  When Mark's father dies, he starts to make
	a cathedral with his own hands -- a way to build "something that's
	going to last forever."

***** Gay-Centered Non-U.S. Films *****

The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert
Stephan Elliott, Director
	1994 : Australia : 102 minutes : Gay Transvestite/Transsexual :
	Comedy :
	Three drag queens, one of whom is actually a male-to-female
	transsexual, lip-synch their way across Australia on their way
	to a summer gig at a resort in the middle of the country.  They
	bicker, get drunk, get chased by mobs, wear lots of wild, wild
	outfits, and generally have a queenly good time.

The Affairs of Love
[Las Cosas del Querer]
	Jaime Chavarri, Director
	1990 : Spain : 100 minutes : Gay : Drama :
	The life of a gay man in the 1940s and the power of music are the
	intertwined themes of this film which follows the lives of three
	vaudeville performers; a gay man, a straight man, and a straight
	woman.

Afflicted
	Amos Guttman, Director
	1985 : Israel : 25 minutes : Gay : Drama :
	The story of a young, closeted gay man who visits a drag bar
	one night in search of sexual expression.

Amazing Grace
	Amos Gutman, Director
	1992 : Israel : 95 minutes : Gay : Drama :
	Dysfunctional families and brief shared moments of love and hope
	in the face of everyday life, set in gay mileux of Tel Aviv.
	A naive Israeli teenager falls in love with a 30ish musician who
	is HIV+.  Best Feature of 1992 Jerusalem Film Festival.  In Hebrew
	with English subtitles.

Among Men
	Wieland Speck, Director
	1980-91 : Germany : 80 minutes : Gay : Drama :
	Five shorts compiled. 'David Montgomery and I', 'The Sound of
	Fast Relief', 'Chez nous', 'Room 303', and 'November'.
	In German with English subtitles.

Angel
[Angelos]
	George Katakouzinos, Director
	1982 : Greece : 126 minutes : Gay : Biographical Drama :
	This violent but moving account of a handsome young gay man
	accused of murder is based on a true story and contains explicit
	love scenes.

Another Country
	Marek Kanievska, Director
	1984 : UK : 90 minutes : Gay : Biographical Drama :
	Romanticized version of the Guy Burgess and Donald MacLean story,
	in which homosexual love among upper-crust English schoolboys
	causes them to grow up to be notorious traitors to their country.

Apartment Zero
	Martin Donovan and David Koepp, Directors
	1989 : UK/Argentina : 122 minutes (film), 114 minutes (video) :
	Gay/Bisexual : Drama :
	Politics, murder, and sexual repression ignite the screen
	when a gay cinema owner picks a mysterious stranger to be
	his roommate in Buenos Aires. Lots of sexual tensions develop
	between the two, but the plot centers around the mystery of
	recent news headlines and the new tenant's relationship to
	them.

At Home
	Jonathan Segal, Director
	1991 : Israel : 29 minutes : Gay : Drama :
	Alex and his older lover, Gershon, are both playwrights, but are
	not both equally successful.  Still, they manage to maintain
	a longtime companionship, negotiating sex and love in ways
	which are all too familiar.

Bad News Bachelors
	1990 : Australia : 26 minutes : Gay : Comedy/Drama :
	A gay man and his straight female friend trade stories (in
	flashbacks) of their romantic misadventures. Cheerful.

Beautiful Thing
	Hettie MacDonald, Director
	1995 : UK : 90 minutes : Gay : Drama :
	This sweet coming-of-age story centers on two high
	school boys in a southeast London housing project.
	One is a boy everyone at school has pegged as gay,
	and is constantly harassed by everyone but his tough
	mother, and the other is a more macho type with an
	alcoholic father and abusive older brother.  The
	unfolding romance between the boys is layered with
	other dramas, including the mother's drive to better
	her lot in the world, and a black neighbor girl who
	wants more than anything to be Mama Cass Elliot.

Behind Glass
	Ab van Ieperen, Director
	1981 : The Netherlands : 70 minutes : Gay : Drama :
	Two lovers from different backgrounds fight about class, money,
	education, and sex.

Being at Home with Claude
	Jean Beaudin, Director
	1991 : Canada : 85 minutes : Gay : Drama :
	A student and a handsome street hustler fall in love, and one
	is murdered by the other. The relationship between the two young
	men unfolds during the murderer's confession. Based on play by
	Rene-Daniel Dubois. Shockingly violent yet erotic opening sex
	scene.  In French with English subtitles.

The Best Way
[La Meilleure Facon de Marcher, The Best Way to Walk]
	Claude Miller, Director
	1976 : France : 85 minutes : Male Transvestite : Drama :
	A butch athletic coach scorns the advances of the drama teacher,
	whom he catches experimenting with transvestism, but an eventual
	confrontation causes the jock to look at his own notions of
	"correct" sexuality.  In French with English subtitles.

Between Two Worlds
	Mark Nash, Director
	1993 : UK : 27 minutes : Gay : Drama :
	A youth working part-time at a flower shop develops an intense
	relationship with his analyst, to whom he reveals that he thinks
	he might be gay.  The boy's boss at the flower shop is definitely
	gay.

Beyond Gravity
	Garth Maxwell, Director
	1988 : New Zealand : 48 minutes : Gay : Drama :
	Flamboyant rebel Johnny meets shy glass technician Richard in
	this offbeat love story.

Black and White
[Noir et Blanc]
	Claire Devers, Director
	1986 : France : 80 minutes : Gay : Drama :
	A shy accountant gradually enters into a bizarre sadomasochistic
	relationship with a black masseur.

Blue
	Derek Jarman, Director
	1993 : UK : 76 minutes : Gay : Experimental :
	This is one of Derek Jarman's last films.  He died February 19,
	1993. The only visual element to the film is a cerulean blue
	screen, which you may watch or not while a collage of voices,
	sounds, and music by Simon Fisher Turner play against the reading
	of parts of the diaries Jarman kept while he was in the hospital.

The Blue Hour
[Die Blaue Stunde]
	Marcel Gisler, Director
	1992 : Germany/Switzerland : 88 minutes : Gay/Bisexual :
	A male hustler and the girl next door fall in love.

Blue Jeans
	Hughes Burin des Roziers, Director
	1982 : France : 101 minutes : Gay : Drama :
	A young boy suffers from an unrequited love for an older teen.

Boyfriends
	Neil Hunter and Tom Husinger, Directors
	1996 : UK : 82 minutes : Gay : Drama :
	Seven gay men get together for a weekend in the country, and
	before it's over, all gloves are off in this biting, shrewd
	and scathingly funny dissection of gay relationships.  Be
	warned : this is a very low-budget production, and at times
	the cinematography is very murky, and between the thick British
	accents and the poor sound recording, some of the dialog is
	indecipherable.  What remains, though, is viciously true-to-life.

The Boys of St. Vincent 
	John N. Smith, Director 
	1992 : Canada : 186 minutes, in 2 parts : Gay(?) : Drama : 
	Behind the walls of St. Vincent, young orphan boys are sexually 
	and psychologically abused.  In part 1 of this tale, loosely based 
	on real events which happened in 1970's Canada, 10-year-old 
	Kevin is the sexual plaything of the deeply disturbed Brother 
	Lavin, while other boys "belong" to other brothers.  When young 
	Kevin tries to run away from his abusers, the police bring him 
	right back, where he is beaten so badly by Brother Lavin that 
	he requires hospital care.  Brother Lavin, of course, refuses to 
	take the boy to the hospital, and it is only the intervention of a 
	kindly janitor that gets the boy the help he needs, and eventually, 
	gets a police investigation started. 
	In part 2, set 15 years later, the boys have grown to 
	be psychologically scarred young men, Brother Lavin has left the
	orphanage and the priesthood and has a family and boys of his 
	own.  When charges are finally brought against the brothers, 
	the young men have to relive the horrors of St. Vincent, and the 
	price of justice proves to be very high for some of them. 
 
Boys Shorts: The New Queer Cinema
	Chris Newby, Michael Mayson and Jeremy Rogers, Mark Christopher,
	Stephen Cummins and Simon Hunt, Laurie Lind, and Marlon Riggs,
	Directors
	1990-91 : Australia/Canada/UK/USA : 119 min. : Gay : Drama/Comedy :
	A feature-length program combining six award-winning short films:
	The Dead Boys' Club, Relax, Resonance, RSVP, Billy Turner's Secret,
	and Anthem.

Brideshead Revisited
	1981 : UK : ? minutes : Bisexual : Drama :
	Made for BBC-TV miniseries giving painstaking treatment to
	Evelyn Waugh's story of his conversion to Catholicism. The
	first two or three hour-long episodes are dominated by the
	protagonist's schoolboy love affiar with the son of a landed
	family.

La Cage Aux Folles
[Birds of a Feather]
	Edouard Molinaro, Director
	1979 : France : 110 minutes : Gay/Gay Transvestite : Comedy :
	Renato's son is bringing his fiance's conservative parents home
	to meet the family: Renato (his gay father), and Albin (Renato's
	lover), a theatrical female impersonator who raised the boy as "her"
	son.  Unfortunately, the son is trying to hide his parents' gayness
	from his fiance's parents -- the conservative father in particular,
	who is a politician up for reelection.  Complicating the problem is
	the fact that Renato and Albin live above the nightclub they own
	and that Albin performs in.

La Cage Aux Folles II
	Edouard Molinaro, Director
	1981 : France : 101 minutes : Gay/Gay Transvestite : Comedy :
	Renato sets out to prove to Albin that he still has sex appeal,
	and they accidentally get involved in espionage.

La Cage Aux Folles III
	George Lautner, Director
	1986 : France : 87 minutes : Gay/Gay Transvestite : Comedy :
	Albin has to get married and father a son within 18 months if he is
	to inherit a family fortune and save his and Renato's nightclub.

Caravaggio
	Derek Jarman, Director
	1986 : UK : 93 minutes : Gay : Biographical Drama :
	Life and times of the famous Renaissance painter.

Carrington
	Christopher Hampton, Director
	1995 : UK : 123 minutes : Gay : Biographical Drama :
	Dora Carrington was a shy British painter who existed on the
	periphery of the so-called Bloomsbury Group of writers and
	painters.  When she meets the bearded, older-by-15-years, and
	homosexual Lytton Strachey, it hardly seems a match for the
	ages.  And yet Carrington's and Strachey's asexual 17-year
	relationship outlasts all his love affairs with heterosexual
	men, and eclipses her marriage to athletic hunk Ralph Partridge.
	This is a story of transcendent love -- one that crosses borders
	of age, gender, and sexual orientation, and ignores the nattering
	bugaboos of convention and common sense.

Caught Looking
	Constantine Giannaris, Director
	1991 : UK : 35 minutes : Gay : Comedy :
	A new virtual reality home computer game soon becomes a sex toy
	for use in gay men's stereotypical sexual fantasies.

The Clinic
	David Stevens, Director
	1985 : Australia : 93 minutes : Gay : Comedy :
	A gay doctor at an Australian VD clinic has to cope with a lot
	of wild goings on.

Closing Numbers
	Stephen Whittaker, Director
	1993 : UK : 95 minutes : Gay/Bisexual : Drama :
	A commanding inspection of homophobia, infidelity, and compassion.
	A housewife reluctantly befriends her husband's lover and his
	dying friend.  Classy and alive with brilliantly rendered characters.

Colonel Redl
	Istvan Szabo, Director
	1985 : Hungary/West Germany/Austria : 144 minutes : Gay : Drama :
	The head of the Austrian imperial secret service gets outed as
	a homosexual and a spy.

Coming Out
	1989 : East Germany : Gay : Drama :
	The story of a young schoolteacher who is confronted with his
	sexuality after a chance encounter with an old friend.

Compromised Immunity
	Andy Lipman, Director
	1985 : UK : 47 minutes : Gay : Drama :
	A filmed version of one of the earliest stage dramas about
	AIDS, this is an English "Normal Heart"; about the developing
	friendship between Britain's first AIDS patient -- a gay
	man -- and a straight orderly in a typical London hospital.

The Consequence
[Die Konsequenz]
	Wolfgang Petersen, Director
	1977 : West Germany : 100 minutes : Gay : Drama :
	Thomas, the cherubic son of a prison warden, seduces Martin,
	one of his father's inmates.  After Martin is released, the
	pair try to build a life together, but they are thwarted at
	every turn.  In German with English subtitles.

The Creation of Adam
	Yuri Pavlov, Director
	1993 : Russia : 93 minutes : Gay/Bisexual : Drama :
	Andrey is disconsolate.  His marriage is on the rocks because
	his wife thinks he's gay, and there's more trouble in store
	when he helps a young gay man escape from some queer-bashers.
	But a work visit from a charismatic, wealthy busnessman turns
	Andrey's life around.  In Russian with English subtitles.

The Crying Game
	Neil Jordan, Director
	1992 : UK : 112 minutes : Gay Transvestite : Drama :
	Well, now that you know the film's "big surprise", what is there
	left to say except that this film's main strength is not the
	little shock of finding out about you-know-who, but the fine
	performances of everyone involved, especially Stephen Rea
	as an IRA assassin with no heart for the job.  Director Jordan
	won an Oscar for his screenplay, and it was nominated for 5 other
	Oscars, including Best Actor [Stephen Rea] and Best Supporting
	Actor [Jaye Davidson].

Death in Venice
[Morte a Venezia]
	Luchino Visconti, Director
	1971 : Italy : 130 minutes : Gay : Drama :
	In turn-of-the-twentieth-century Venice, an aging artist falls
	obsessively in love with a beautiful young boy but is never able
	to tell him, and ends up dead of cholera.

The Deputy
[El Diputado, Confessions of a Congressman]
	Eloy de la Iglesia, Director
	1983 : Spain : 110 minutes : Gay : Drama :
	A rising young gay politician is the target of blackmail, and
	gets romantically involved with the hustler his enemies send to
	do the job.

The Devil's Playground
	Fred Schepisi, Director
	1976 : Australia : 107 minutes : Gay : Drama :
	Priests and young boys at an all-boys seminary try to repress
	their sexual desires for each other, and as usual, repression
	leads to all kinds of nastiness.

Different For Girls
	Richard Spence, Director
	1996 : UK : 101 minutes : Male-to-Female Transsexual : Romantic Comedy :
	Kim is a prim, trim, transsexual woman who writes jingles for a
	greeting card company in London.  Kim runs into Prentice, a reckless
	biker punk who remembers Kim back from boarding school, but as a boy.
	Prentice's conflicting emotions as he finds himself being drawn to
	Kim aren't soft-peddled, and Kim (who is played by a man, Steven
	Mackintosh) has all the reserved, dignified demeanor of someone who
	has known ridicule and is now finding her hard-won peace disturbed
	by the possibility of love.

Different From the Others
[Anders als die Anderen]
	Richard Oswald, Director
	1919 : Germany : Gay : Drama :
	A silent film about a concert violinist being blackmailed because
	of his sexual orientation.

Dona Herlinda and Her Son
[Dona Herlinda y Su Hijo]
	Jaime Hermosillo, Director
	1985 : Mexico : 90 minutes : Gay/Bisexual : Comedy :
	A doctor has a male lover, but to please his mother, he marries
	a woman, and everyone ends up living happily together under one
	roof.

Drifting
	Amos Gutman, Director
	1982 : Israel : 80 minutes : Gay : Drama :
	An aspiring Israeli filmmaker works in his grandmother's store
	while dreaming of making gay films.

Dubbel Leven
[Double Lives]
	1978 : West Germany : 47 minutes : Male Transvestite : Drama :
	Events in the life of a young man, told mostly in flashback,
	as he and those around him slowly discover that he really wants
	to become a woman.

Eclipse
	Jeremy Podeswa, Director
	1995 : Canada : 95 minutes : Gay/Bisexual : Drama :
	In Toronto, where an impending solar eclipse has created
	"eclipse fever", a disparate group of ten men and women
	find themselves intersecting as they cross social, sexual,
	emotional, and language barriers in their search for love
	and connection.  A minimalist twist on the French film "La
	Ronde", "Eclipse" is structured as a sexual daisy chain,
	tracking the ten characters in a series of interconnecting
	couplings, some of which are more successful dramatically
	than others, but adding up to a film that's mostly compelling.
	In English and French and Spanish with English subtitles.

Edward II
	Derek Jarman, Director
	1992 : UK : 90 minutes : Gay : Historical Drama :
	Jarman retells the story of Edward II and his despised low-born
	lover using Christopher Marlowe's language, sparse sets, and
	modern dress and imagery.

Encore
[Once More]
	1987 : France : Gay : Drama/Musical :
	A gay husband and father comes out in mid-life and is caught
	between his passion for men and his family relationships.

Ernesto
	Salvatore Samperi, Director
	1983 : Italy : 95 minutes : Gay : Drama :
	A middle-class Italian Jewish teenager has an affair with a dock
	worker and then falls in love with a fellow violin student.

A Fairy for Dessert
[Eine Tunte Zum Dessert]
	Dagmar Beiersdorf, Director
	1992 : Germany : 84 minutes : Gay/Transvestite : Drama :
	Earthy, very funny, low-budget celebration of adopted families
	and colorful characters.

Farewell, My Concubine
	Chen Kaiage, Director
	1992 : China : 154 minutes : Gay/Bisexual : Historical Drama :
	The story of two Peking Opera superstars who meet as young boys,
	and who, for the next 50 years, are linked by their stage roles.
	Gorgeous and operatic in its grand sweep of lives played out
	against vast social upheavals.

La Fete Des Peres
[Dad's Day]
	Joy Fleury, Director
	1989 : France : 80 minutes : Gay : Comedy :
	Stephane and Thomas are a gay couple who have been living together
	for five years.  They both work and share the same hobbies, and are
	very content, except for one thing: they want a child.  They decide
	to adopt a baby, but they get tricked.  While they are trying to set
	up the adoption, they meet a girl who appears to be an ideal candidate
	to become a surrogate mother for them.

Film
[Fill 'em]
	Sky Gilbert, Director
	1991 : Canada : 45 minutes : Gay : Drama :
	A male hustler and his roommate live a Warholesque diary.

The Flavor of Corn
[Il Sapore del Grano]
	Gianni da Campo, Director
	1986 : Italy : 89 minutes : Gay : Drama :
	Gentle, compassionate story of a handsome young high-school
	teacher, who, in spite of his best (and explicitly shown)
	attempts at a heterosexual relationship, helplessly drifts
	into an intense and emotionally devastating relationship with
	a 12-year-old male student.  In Italian with English subtitles.

For A Lost Soldier
	Roeland Kerbosch, Director
	1992 : The Netherlands : 90 minutes : Gay : Drama:
	Contemporary choreographer Jeroen recalls his adolescence and
	first erotic friendships.  Sent away as a boy during WWII to a
	small fishing village, young Jeroen develops a strong friendship
	with another new boy.  Then comes liberation, and with the
	arrival of the Allies, Jeroen finds a new friend in the person
	of a handsome Canadian soldier named Walt.

Forbidden Passion: Oscar Wilde
	Henry Herbert, Director
	1976 : UK : 120 minutes : Gay : Biography :
	The whole tragic story of the famous wit's life and ruinous
	love affair with Lord Alfred Douglas.

Forever Mary
	Marco Risi, Director
	1991 : Italy : 100 minutes : Gay Transvestite : Drama :
	A young gay reform school student teaches a straight teacher
	something about dignity.

The Fourth Man
[De Vierde Man]
	Paul Verhoeven, Director
	1983 : The Netherlands : 102 minutes : Bisexual : Drama :
	A bisexual novelist finds out that the thrice-widowed
	hairdresser who seduces him is engaged to a fourth man, and
	together the men discover her deadly secret.

Fox and His Friends
	Rainer Werner Fassbinder, Director
	1975 : West Germany : 123 mniutes : Gay : Drama :
	A working class gay man is victimized for both his sexual and
	social status.

Friends Forever
	Stefan Christian Henszelman, Director
	1986 : Denmark : 95 minutes : Gay : Drama :
	A charming, exuberant story of friendship and sexuality between
	three 16-year-old schoolboys. It's sexy, funny, and guiltless.

Funeral Parade of Roses
	Toshio Matsumoto, Director
	1969 : Japan : 105 minutes : Gay/Gay Transvestite : Drama :
	The first Japanese film to deal unabashedly with gay culture,
	it's a modern parody of the Oedipus legend, except that this
	time the Oedipus character, Eddie, must eliminate his obstructive
	mother for the wild embrace of his father.  In Japanese with
	English subtitles.

A Hard God
	1980 : Australia : 82 minutes : Gay : Drama :
	A depressing made-for-Australian-TV movie wherein a working
	class Catholic family in Sydney endure tough times and misery
	in the 1940s. In the middle of it all, the 16-year-old son
	tries to cope with falling in love with a male friend.

The Heart Exposed
	Jean-Yves Laforce, Director
	1986 : Canada : 106 minutes : Gay : Drama :
	A middle-aged teacher starts a relationship with an actor fifteen
	years younger who also has a young son.

Hollow Reed
	Angela Pope, Director
	1996 : UK : 106 minutes : Gay : Drama :
	Martyn, a gay doctor, lives with his boyfriend, Tom.  Martyn's ex-wife,
	Hannah, is currently sharing her bed with Frank, an architect who works
	at home and cares for Martin and Hannah's son, Oliver.  One time, Oliver
	comes bloodied to his father's house and tells him he was roughed up
	by some boys.  Then he attributes a crushed hand to a car-door slam.
	Slowly Martyn comes to realize that his son is being abused by his wife's
	new lover.  In trying to save his son, Martyn has to battle homophobia
	in the courts and his ex-wife's refusal to see that her new boyfriend
	is a monster.

The Hours and the Times
	Christopher Munch, Director
	1992 : UK : 58 minutes : Gay : Biographical Drama :
	This is more or less a fantasy dealing with Beatle manager Brian
	Epstein's unrequited love for John Lennon, centering on a weekend
	they spent together in Barcelona.

I Am My Own Woman
[Ich bin meine eigene Frau]
	Rosa von Praunheim, Director
	1992 : Germany : 90 minutes : Gay Transvestite : Biographical Drama :
	True life story of Charlotte von Mahlsdorf, the best known
	transvestite in East Germany; a symbol of bravery and idealism
	for today's German lesbians and gays.

It is Not the Homosexual Who is Perverse but the Society in Which
He Lives
	Rosa von Praunheim, Director
	1971 : West Germany : Gay : Drama :
	A gay man in the process of coming out examines all the options.
	Political, dogmatic, and anti-bourgois, this film assails
	media-created romantic illusions, capitalist principles, and
	sexist role playing.

I Want What I Want
	John Dexter, Director
	1971 : UK : 105 minutes : Transsexual : Drama :
	A tender (but unfortunately and melodramatically directed by
	Dexter as a vehicle for his wife, Anne Haywood, who never
	convinces) portrayal of problems faced by a young male to female
	transsexual at the end of the 1960s.

Kiss of the Spider Woman
	Hector Babenco, Director
	1985 : Brazil/USA : 119 minutes : Gay Transvestite : Drama :
	A gay prisoner falls in love with the revolutionary he's supposed
	to be spying on for the prison authorities.

Labyrinth of Passion
	Pedro Almodovar, Director
	1982 : Spain : 100 minutes : Gay/ Gay Transvestite : Comedy :
	Riza, the gay son of a deposed Middle Eastern tyrant who likes
	to hang around with Madrid's sleazier denizens, and Sexi, an
	aspiring rock singer and unabashed nymphomaniac, fall for each
	other and decide to run away.  But first they must deal with
	their respective rock groups, terrorists who are bent on kid-
	napping Riza, and a gay man (Antonio Banderas) with unusual
	sniffing abilities who is smitten with Riza and determined to
	make him his.  In Spanish with English subtitles.

The Lady in Waiting
	Christian Taylor, Director
	1992 : UK/USA : 30 minutes : Gay Transvestite : Drama :
	Prim English spinster housekeeper Miss Scarlet, played by
	Virginia McKenna, and outrageous Black drag-queen Miss Peaches,
	played by Rodney Hudson, are flung together in a lift during
	the 1977 black-out and settle their differences.  Nominated
	for Best Short Live Action Film in 1993 Academy Awards.

The Last Island
	Marleen Gorris, Director
	1990 : The Netherlands : 101 minutes : Gay/Lesbian : Drama :
	The underbelly of patriarchy and the desperation of the human
	condition are exposed as two women, five men, and a dog struggle
	to survive after their plane crashes on a deserted island.  Two
	of the men are gay, and one of the women seems to be lesbian,
	although this is never explictly stated.  An apocalyptic allegory
	of our time, this film takes on the thorniest ethical and moral
	issues of our time -- reproductive rights, control of the body,
	mercy killing, the hyprocrisy and tyranny of the Catholic Church
	in relation to women and in relation to homosexuality, and more.

The Last of England
	Derek Jarman, Director
	1987 : UK : Gay : Drama :
	A post-nuclear fantasy about England with many bootboys and
	other luscious types.

Law of Desire
[Ley del Deseo]
	Pedro Almodovar, Director
	1987 : Spain : 100 minutes : Gay/Transsexual : Comedy/Drama :
	Screwball tragicomedy centering on a gay film director, his
	transsexual brother (now a sister, who is played by a
	born-female actress), and two of his young lovers.

The Leather Boys
	Sidney J. Furie, Director
	1964 : UK : 107 minutes : Bisexual/Gay : Drama :
	Against his better judgment, a gay man marries a girl who is
	bored with her life. The marriage falls apart and the gay man
	goes to bed with a buddy whom he doesn't know is also gay.
	Complications ensue.

Legal Memory
	1992 : Canada : Gay : Docudrama :
	Plodding but still interesting docudrama about the last man
	hanged in British Columbia, for the 1958 murder of his sailor
	boyfriend.

Lilies
	John Greyson, Director
	1997: Canada : 95 minutes : Gay : Drama :
	This is a stunning, highly stylized film about love, religion,
	and betrayal which leaps back and forth in time, back and forth
	between "reality" and a staged-behind-prison-walls version of
	events in the lives of three boys -- one of whom, now a man, is
	one of the prisoners, and another of whom is now a bishop being
	held captive by the prisoners, and for whom the production unfolds.
	If it sounds confusing, it isn't, and it is mesmerizing, erotic,
	emotionally charged, and a beautiful piece of filmmaking.

The Lost Language of Cranes
	Nigel Finch, Director
	1992 : UK : 87 minutes : Gay : Drama :
	A properly reserved middle-class British family is thrown into
	turmoil when the son announces he's gay. Mother doesn't want to
	know about it, and Father starts coming apart because he's been
	hiding his gay double-life for years, and the guilt and
	self-loathing finally catch up to him. Adapted from David
	Leavitt's novel about an American family.

Love and Human Remains
	Denys Arcand, Director
	1993 : Canada : 99 minutes : Gay/Lesbian/Bisexual : Comedy-Thriller :
	The romantic trials and tribulations of a handful of people orbiting
	around David and Candy, a 30th pair of former lovers who share an
	apartment in Edmonton, Alberta.  David, a former child TV star who
	now waits tables, has come out as gay, and is interested in his 17-year-
	old busboy, who isn't sure whether or not he's gay.  Candy is straight,
	but there is a pretty lesbian who's interested in her and Candy is
	disgusted with men and the lesbian is so persistent and Candy is so
	passive...  Meanwhile, a serial killer is stalking young women through
	empty streets in the dark and dangerous night.

Macho Dancer
	Lino Brocka, Director
	1988 : The Philippines : Bisexual/Gay : Drama :
	Drama about the lives of boy prostitutes in Manila.

Magic Cottage
	Joe Orr, Director
	1993 : UK : 30 minutes : Gay : Horror/Comedy :
	A hilarious, wildly provocative spoof of "Night of the Living
	Dead" (to the tune of Streisand singing "Guilty").  The end
	credits include a list of London's best t-rooms, so have
	your pencil and paper handy.

A Man Like Eva
[Ein Mann wie Eva]
	Radu Gabrea, Director
	1983 : West Germany : 92 minutes : Gay Transvestite :
	Biographical Drama :
	During the shooting of a Fassbinder movie, gender-bending star
	Eva ditches an ex-lover, marries the leading lady, and seduces
	the leading man.

Maurice
	James Ivory, Director
	1987 : UK : 140 minutes : Gay : Drama :
	Two upper-crust English boys are drawn to one another, but one
	insists on keeping the relationship platonic, while the other
	one wants someone he can go to bed with.

Maybe... Maybe Not
	Sonke Wortmann, Director
	1996 : Germany : 96 minutes : Gay : Comedy :
	Axel is a straight man who cheats on his girlfriend, Doro,
	and gets thrown out on his ear.  Norbert is a gay man who
	befriends Axel and lets him stay over, hoping that Axel might
	prove to be bisexual.  What laughs there are come from mix-ups,
	secondary character situations, Axel's attempts to win back
	Doro's trust, and Norbert's hopeless infatuation with the straight
	Adonis.

Melody For Buddy Matsumae
[Matsumae-Kun No Senritsu]
	Hiroyuki Oki, Director
	1992 : Japan : 50 minutes : Gay : Drama :
	Chronicles ten days spent at a seaside town; five of them
	with a visiting boyfriend, and five more after the boyfriend's
	departure.  This is the last film in director Oki's "Matsumae
	Trilogy".

Midnight Dancers
	Mel Chionglo, Director
	1994 : Phillipines : 118 minutes : Gay/Bisexual : Drama :
	Forced by economic hardship to leave his studies, Sonny
	returns home to find his two older brothers both working
	as "Macho Dancers" in a Manila gay bar.  The film follows
	the three brothers as they embark on various relationships
	and misadventures.  The oldest has a wife and child, but
	is also involved with an older rich man.  The second brother
	lives life on the streets and on the edge in which everything
	is a hustle, from dancing to car theft.  Against his mother's
	wishes, Sonny enters the sex trade in order to help support
	the family.  While working at the bar, Sonny becomes
	romantically involved with a transvestite, and their relation-
	ship provides the love and stability he needs to survive in
	the pits of the Manila sex industry.  Meanwhilte, Dennis's
	exploits are beginning to bring danger to himself and his
	family.  In Tagalog with English subtitles.

Mikael
[Chained]
	Carl Dreyer, Director
	1924 : Germany : 74 minutes : Gay : Drama :
	Zoret, an aging artist, grieves over the loss of his young
	male model, Mikael, to Princess Zamikoff.  Silent film.

Mikel's Death
[La Muerte De Mikel]
	198? : Spain : Gay : Drama :
	A married basque activist discovers his latent homosexuality,
	and his friends and relatives desert him.

Muscle
	Hisayasu Sato, Director
	1993 : Japan : 60 minutes : Gay : Drama :
	In Tokyo, a journalist for a physique magazine falls into a
	demented, operatic S/M relationship with a dangerously
	charismatic bodybuilder.  Not for the faint of heart -- the
	movie starts off with a torrid sex scene which ends up with
	one lover cutting off the other's arm.  In Japanese with
	English subtitles.

The Music Lovers
	Ken Russell, Director
	1970 : UK : 123 minutes : Gay : Biographical Drama :
	Gay Russian composer Peter Tschaikovsky feels compelled to
	marry Nina after an affair with Vladimir.

My Beautiful Launderette
	Stephen Frears, Director
	1985 : UK : 98 minutes : Gay : Drama :
	Race, social class, and sex are some of the issues that need to
	be dealt with when a British street punk and a young Pakistani
	entrepreneur fall in love.

The Naked Civil Servant: The Autobiography of Quentin Crisp
	Jack Gold, Director
	1975 : UK : 80 minutes : Gay : Biography :
	Quentin Crisp is *way* ahead of his time when he outs himself in
	a era where ostracism and intolerance were rampant.

Nighthawks
	Ron Peck and Paul Hallam, Directors
	1979 : UK : 113 minutes : Gay : Drama :
	Realistic, gritty story about the day-to-day life of a gay school
	teacher who is eventually outed by his class. Grim.

Night Out
	Lawrence Johnston, Director
	1989 : Australia : Gay : Drama :
	When Steve leaves town for a few days, his lover Tony decides to
	cruise the beach one night, and is brutalized by a gang of thugs
	The event triggers an examination of the couple's supposedly
	wonderful relationship.

Nijinsky
	Herbert Ross, Director
	1980 : UK : 129 minutes : Gay : Drama :
	Focuses on the famous ballet dancer's disintegrating sanity as
	his love affair with impressario Sergei Diaghilev becomes an
	exercise in manipulation on both their parts.

North of Vortex
	Constantine Giannaris, Director
	1991 : UK : 55 minutes : Bisexual : Drama :
	A studied black and white road movie about a bisexual poet, two
	hitchhikers, and the American landscape.

Okoge
	Takehiro Nakajima, Director
	1992 : Japan : 120 minutes : Gay/Bisexual : Comedy :
	A young straight woman loves hanging out with gay men and lets
	two lovers use her apartment for their trysts, to the chagrin
	of her nosy neighbors.  Highly erotic sex scenes.  In Japanese
	with English subtitles.

Outrageous!
	Richard Benner, Director
	1977 : Canada : 98 minutes : Gay Transvestite : Comedy/Drama :
	A gay hairdresser has an interesting relationship with a
	schizophrenic girl on his way to stardom as a drag queen who
	does impressions of all the usual gay icons.

The Outsiders
[aka The Outcasts]
	Yu Kan-Ping, Director
	1986 : Taiwan : 102 minutes : Gay : Drama :
	An older photographer tries to make a home for a group of gay
	teens who've been abandoned by their families because of their
	sexual orientation.

Pink Ulysses
	Eric de Kuyper, Director
	1989 : The Netherlands : 98 minutes : Gay : Comedy :
	The inner struggle of "pink Ulysses" is entwined with a loose
	adaption of The Odyssey in this sensual film featuring footage
	from a 1950s bodybuilding show, Eisenstein, and a TV version of
	"Sleeping Beauty" by the Dutch National Ballet.

Pretty Baby
[Der Bewegte Mann]
	Soenke Wortmann, Director
	1994 : Germany : 93 minutes : Gay : Comedy :

	Germany's biggest domestic hit of 1994, _Pretty Baby_, is a side-splitting
	comedy destined for the Hall of Sexual Fame. The title refers to Axel --
	an open-minded heterosexual who has cheated on his girlfriend Doro one too
	many times. When Doro finds Axel having sex with another woman inside a
	bathroom stall, he is forced into the streets and finds himself at the
	apartment of Norbert -- a homosexual _friend_ of a friend. As Axel quickly
	enters the gay scene of contemporary Germany, _Pretty Baby_ offers piercing
	commentary on masculinity and sex. In the film's absurd, verging-on-erotic
	situations, director Soenke Wortmann provides us with the eavesdropper's
	perspective on conversations where men -- both straight and gay -- talk
	about other men in overtly sexual ways. When Norbert's queenie friend
	Waltraud attends a "Straight Men's Support Group" as the _gay_ man who
	can teach them about gayness, hilarious dialogue highlights a film rich
	with insightful sexual characterizations. As the narrative unfolds, Axel
	finds spending time with Norbert and his drag queen friends both fun and
	liberating -- so liberating that Doro suspects that Axel is actually gay.
	
Prick Up Your Ears
	Stephen Frears, Director
	1987 : UK : 108 minutes : Gay : Biographical Drama :
	The life and death of playwright Joe Orton, who was murdered by
	his lover at the height of his fame.

Priest 
	Antonia Bird, Director 
	1994 : UK : 103 minutes : Gay : Drama : 
	A young English priest faces one moral crisis after another as 
	he tries to come to terms with his own homosexuality, the 
	essentially married life of a fellow priest, a young parishioner 
	who is being molested by her father, and his conflicting need to 
	keep the faith in a faithless world. 
 
Prince in Hell
[Prinz In Holleland]
	Michael Stock, Director
	1993 : Germany : 96 minutes : Gay : Drama :
	A romantic-anarchist drama in which a trio of disenchanted
	youths screw each other, then screw each other over.  Contains
	graphic scenes of S&M, unsafe sex, and drug-taking which may
	be upsetting to some viewers.  In German with English subtitles.

Privates on Parade
	Michael Blakemore, Director
	1982 : UK : Gay Transvestite : Comedy :
	The bitterly satirical adventures of a theatrical troop of drag
	queens during wartime.

Querelle
	Rainer Werner Fassbinder, Director
	1982 : 106 minutes : West Germany/France : Gay :
	Querelle is a devastatingly handsome gay sailor who is also a
	cold-hearted killer.

The Rainbow Serpent
	Philippe Vallois, Director
	1987 : France : 90 minutes : Gay : Comedy/Musical :
	Investigating a bodybuilder suspected of murder, a rookie
	cop is propelled into the erotic world of gyms and G-strings.
	A strange relationship develops between the cop and the
	suspect.

Relax
	Christopher Newby, Director
	1991 : UK : 25 minutes : Gay :
	A remarkably electric, imaginative, and intense short film in
	which Steve, a young gay man, explores his feelings leading up
	to the result of an HIV test.

The Rocky Horror Picture Show
	Jim Sharman, Director
	1975 : UK : 100 min. : Bi Male TV : Horror/Comedy/Musical :
	An innocent young couple take refuge in the castle of
	Dr. Frank 'n' Furter, that sweet transvestite from Transsexual,
	Transylvania.

A Safe Place
	Amos Guttman, Director
	1983 : Israel : 29 minutes : Gay : Drama :
	About a high school boy's struggle with his emerging sexual
	identity as he encounters underground sex in a cinema hall.

Salome's Last Dance
	Ken Russell, Director
	1988 : UK : Gay : Drama :
	A typical Russell extravaganza, wherein Oscar Wilde is invited
	to a bordello to view a wildly decadent version of his banned
	play "Salome".

Salo, or the 120 Days of Sodom
	Pier Paolo Pasolini, Director
	1975 : Italy : 117 minutes : Gay S&M : Drama :
	Pasolini's last film before his murder is powerfully
	anti-Fascist. During WWII, a group of powerful Fascists
	play S&M games with a group of young people, culminating
	in murder.

Salut Victor
	Anne Claire Poirier, Director
	1988 : Canada : 83 minutes : Gay : Drama :
	Two elderly gay men who are complete opposites befriend one
	another in an old age home.

Savage Nights
[Les Nuits Fauves]
	Cyril Collard, Director
	1993 : France : 126 minutes : Bisexual/Gay : Drama
	An HIV-positive bisexual man has indiscriminate, unprotected
	sexual encounters with not only his male and female lovers
	but many anonymous tricks under the bridges of the Seine.

Sebastian
[Sebastiane]
	Derek Jarman, Director
	1977 : UK : 90 minutes : Gay : Biographical Drama :
	The story of St. Sebastian, who was sent to be outreaches
	of the Roman Empire after objecting to the murder of a
	young Christian page. There he carries on an affair with
	his commanding officer, whereupon he is brutally murdered
	by his jealous fellow soldiers.

The Sergeant
	John Flynn, Director
	1968 : France/USA : 107 minutes : Gay : Drama :
	A deeply repressed Sergeant Major falls in love with a company
	clerk, and is unable to deal with his homosexual desires.

Slight Fever of a 20-Year-Old
[Hatachi No Binetsu]
	Ryosuke Hasiguchi, Director
	1993 : Japan : 114 minutes : Gay : Drama :
	An audacious teen movie from Japan, featuring a bored middle-class
	quartet; two hustlers, Tatsuro and Shin, and their two female
	best friends.  Tatsuro is the better hustler, and he spends his
	days skipping school and entertaining clients, but when Shin
	declares his love for him, Tatsuro has to enter the real world.
	In Japanese with English subtitles.

Solos Y Soledades
	Javier Antonio Berrios, Director
	1992 : Cuba : 22 minutes : Gay : Drama :
	A short, superbly crafted story of two men who meet on a bus
	and find that there is no safe place to consummate their
	passion.  In Spanish only, though there isn't much dialog.

A Song of Love
[Un Chant D'Amour]
	1950 : France : 26 minutes : Gay : Drama :
	Jean Genet's only film; a notorious fantasy set in a French
	prison.

Speaking in Riddles
	Mark C. O'Faherty, Director
	1994 : UK : 23 minutes : Gay/Lesbian : Comedy :
	A gay man and his lesbian friend host a fantastically lavish
	supper party with the aim of seducing a straight man.

Staircase
	Stanley Donen, Director
	1969 : UK : 96 minutes : Gay : Drama :
	Rex Harrison and Richard Burton are a couple of gay barbers
	trying to adjust to the onset of old age, but the two actors
	are little more than a pair of walking stereotypes.

Stonewall
	Nigel French, Director
	1995 : UK : 98 minutes : Gay/Gay Transvestite : Drama :
	This recreation of events leading up to the watershed
	Stonewall riot is completely fictionalized, told through
	the characters of La Miranda, a Puerto Rican hooker/
	transvestite, Matty, a fresh-from-the-farm greenhorn
	wowed by the big city, and Ethan, a preppy, conservative
	activist who thinks that drag queens are bad news in the
	gay fight for equality.

Strawberry and Chocolate
[Fresa y Chocolate]
	1993 : Cuba : 104 minutes : Gay : Comedy/Drama :
	Tomas Gutierrez Alea, Director
	A young political science major meets a limp-wristed cliche
	of a gay man and sets out to entrap him and turn him over to
	the government; but along the way, the gay man turns out to
	be more than a cliche, and the straight man turns out to be
	more than a homophobe, and a platonic friendship develops as
	the two discover each other's humanity.

Street Kid
	Peter Kern, Director
	19?? : Germany : 89 minutes : Gay : Drama :
	Axel Glitter is a brash, 14-year-old street hustler whom even
	the local cops in Dusseldorf acknowledge is the trickiest
	little hustler in town.  But when Axel forcefully invades the
	life of an unhappily married man, he unwittingly triggers a
	tragic chain reaction of unleashed passions and dark pursuits.
	In German with English subtitles.

The Summer of Miss Forbes
	1988 : Spain : 86 minutes : Gay : Drama :
	A made-for-Spanish-TV movie about a frustrated and slightly
	unhinged teutonic governess with a passion for Greek Tragedies
	and alcohol who is hired to mind two children at a beach house
	for six weeks. She becomes obsessed with Achilles, a beach boy
	reminiscent of a Greek God, adopted by the family; then goes
	bananas when she eventually discovers that he is gay. Not for
	those who like happy endings.

Summer Vacation 1999
[1999 NO NATSU YASUMI]
	Shusuke Kaneko, Director
	1988 : Japan : 90 minutes : Gay : Drama :
	In a school in Hokkaido, three boys have to stay during summer
	vacation. The summer before also three boys stayed and one of
	them died. One of the remaining boys was in love with the one
	who died. A guy who looks like the dead boy appears. All the
	characters are played by female actors.

The Sum of Us
	Geoff Burton and Kevin Dowling, Directors
	1994 :  Australia : 100 minutes : Gay : Romantic Comedy :
	A heterosexual father and his gay son living in Sydney,
	Australia are trying to find Ms./Mr. Right, respectively.
	The film shows their relationships with one another and
	the objects of their affections as tradgedy strikes.
	There is no overt 'message' in the film, just a very
	natural, entertaining story-telling.

Sunday, Bloody Sunday
	John Schlesinger, Director
	1971 : UK : 110 minutes : Bisexual/Gay : Drama :
	A bisexual man carries on an affair with a woman and man
	at the same time, and claims to love them both.

Tall Dark Stranger
	1987 : UK : Gay : Drama :
	Starts off as a salty tale of casual sex and cross-purposes,
	and settles down into the classic tale of a new boy in town,
	which is London in this case.

Taxi Nach Cairo
[Taxi to Cairo]
	Frank Ripploh, Director
	1987 : West Germany : 90 minutes : Gay : Comedy :
	Our hero stages a marriage to a woman to remain in his mother's
	will, but he and his bride fall in love with the same man.

Taxi zum Klo
[Taxi to the Toilet]
	Frank Ripploh, Director
	1981 : West Germany : 92 minutes : Gay : Autobiographical Drama :
	Escapades of a gay man who wants as much sex as he can get,
	while his lover just wants them both to stay home.

Tell Me No Lies
	Neil Hunter, Director
	1993 : UK : 30 minutes : GLBO : Comedy :
	The complications of coming out, as experienced by a group of
	university students.

Tenue De Soiree
[Evening Dressing]
	Bertrand Blier, Director
	1986 : France : Bisexual/Gay Transvestite : Comedy :
	Gerard Depardieu stars as a gay man who seduces a dead-broke
	married man.  The gay man, the married man, and his wife all
	start to live together on petty larceny but soon end up as
	prostitutes (both men as transvestites.)  Lots of good dialogue
	and trashy scenes like the men making love on the bed while the
	woman is trying to get some sleep on the carpet.

The Terence Davies Trilogy
	Terence Davies, Director
	1976-1984 : UK : 101 minutes : Gay : Autobiographical Drama :
	Director Davies tells the story of his life as a character named
	Robert Tucker in three films. Part One (Childhood) focuses on
	scenes from his childhood: bullying at school, a violent, sick
	father, early sexual fantasies. Part Two (Madonna and Child) is
	a portrait of Tucker in middle age, trapped between his public
	and private personae. In Part Three (Death and Transfiguration),
	Tucker revisits his life with a new and less tortured perspective.
	He seems to accept his sexuality, which is transfigured by the
	love between his mother and himself.

This Special Friendship
[Les Amities Particulieres]
	Jean Delannoy, Director
	1964 : France : 105 minutes : Gay : Drama :
	A relationship between an older boy and a younger boy at a
	strict Catholic boy's school ends in disaster when the priests
	voice their disapproval with increasingly heavy-handed tactics.

Together Alone
	1991 : Canada : Gay : Drama :
	Brian and Bryan talk after sex, about honesty, safety, sexuality,
	fidelity, power, companionship and more.

Too Outrageous!
	Richard Benner, Director
	1987 : Canada : 100 minutes : Gay Transvestite : Comedy/Drama :
	Sequel to "Outrageous!", following the further exploits of
	schizophrenic writer Liza and campy female impersonator Robin.

To Play or To Die
[Spelen of Sterven]
	Frank Krom, Director
	1990 : The Netherlands : 50 minutes : Gay : Drama :
	An introverted schoolboy, bullied by his handsome schoolmates,
	invites the ringleader home with plans of revenge, but the other
	boy gets the upper hand.

Total Eclipse
	Agnieszka Holland, Director
	1995 : UK : 110 minutes : Gay : Biographical Drama :
	The story of Arthur Rimbaud, the 19th century French symbolist
	poet and all-around bad-boy, and his affair with fellow poet
	Paul Verlaine.  It's easy to see what draws Verlaine to the
	arrogant, sassy, passionate youth, whom he calls "the voice of the
	future", but what is it about the conventional, married older
	man that draws Rimbaud to him?  This we never learn, and it becomes
	a nagging point when their messy relationship turns violent and
	destructive.

The Trials of Oscar Wilde
	Ken Hughes, Director
	1960 : UK : 123 minutes : Gay : Drama :
	Based on the court transcripts of the show trial of the
	celebrated author. Stars Peter Finch, John Fraser, Lionel
	Jefferies and James Mason. Produced after 1957 Wolfenden
	Report shifted homosexuality from the unmentionable to a
	subject of enthusiastic debate.

The Truth About Alex
	Paul Shapiro, Director
	1987 : Canada : 48 minutes : Gay : Drama :
	The friendship between a West Point hopeful and a budding pianist
	is tested when the pianist comes out as gay.

Twinkle
[Kira Kira Hikaru]
	George Matusoka, Director
	1992 : Japan : 103 minutes : Gay : Comedy/Drama :
	Shoko, a translator with a drinking problem and Mutsuki, a handsome
	gay doctor, decide to come together in a marriage of convenience to
	satisfy their parents.  The arrangement falls apart when Mutsuki's
	student boyfriend becomes jealous, Shoko decides she wants to have
	a baby, and her parents find out about Mutsuki's homosexuality.
	In Japanese with English subtitles.

Two of Us
	Roger Tonge, Director
	1986 : UK : 60 minutes : Gay : Drama :
	Made-for-British-TV show about two working class teens who
	become lovers.

Urinal
	John Greyson, Director
	1988 : Canada : 100 minutes : Gay : Comedy/Drama :
	Surrealistic portrayal of famous gay artists from the past
	reassembled to discuss various aspects of public washroom sex.

Via Appia
	1992 : Germany : Gay : Drama :
	A Lufthansa steward goes to Rio de Janeiro, trying to find a
	hustler named Mario who purposefully infected him with the AIDS
	virus during a one-night stand and left behind the message,
	"Welcome to the AIDS club."

Victim!
	Basil Dearden, Director
	1961 : UK : 96 minutes : Gay : Drama :
	A respected barrister gets involved with a lonely young drifter
	and is forced to confront his own homosexuality.

A Virus Knows No Morals
	Rosa von Praunheim, Director
	1986 : West Germany : Gay : Comedy :
	A gay bathhouse owner finds AIDS a drag on business in this
	funny, campy satire on society's attitudes toward homosexuals
	and AIDS.

You Are Not Alone
[Du Er Ikke Alene]
	Nielson and Johansen, Directors
	1982 : Denmark : 91 minutes : Gay : Drama :
	Coming of age love story about two adolescent boys in a boys'
	school.

The Wedding Banquet
[Hsi Yen]
	Ang Lee, Director
	1993 : Taiwan : 104 minutes : Gay : Comedy :
	A Taiwanese immigrant who lives happily with his male lover agrees
	to marry a Chinese woman to appease his tradition-bound parents.
	A ribald comedy of manners and traditions in transition, with some
	very good performances and well-written characters.

Westler: East of the Wall
	Wieland Speck, Director
	1986 : Germany : 94 minutes : Gay : Drama :
	A West Berlin boy falls in love with an East Berlin boy on a day
	trip. The border guards start getting suspicious when the West
	Berliner starts making frequent trips, and the boys plan an
	escape for the East Berliner.

We Think The World of You
	Colin Gregg, Director
	1988 : UK : 94 minutes : Gay/Bisexual : Drama :
	In the 1950s, an uptight Londoner is pushed around by his
	bisexual lover's family and wife.

We Were One Man
[Nous Etions un Seul Homme]
	Philippe Vallois, Director
	1978 : France : 90 minutes : Gay : Drama :
	In occupied France during WWII, an escaped mental patient nurses
	a wounded German soldier back to health and they have a highly
	erotic love affair.

What The Butler Saw
	198? : UK : Male and Female Bisexual : Comedy/Drama :
	BBC production of the Joe Orton play.

Where the Sun Beats Down
	1989 : Portugal : Gay : Drama :
	A haunting film of a young man determined to break the sexual
	and class taboos of his culture, modern day Portugal. Nuno
	returns from the city to his sister's farm where a relationship
	develops between him and Alberto, a young farm worker, which
	threatens the stability of Nuno's snobbish family.

Who Killed Passolini
	Marco Tullio Giordana, Director
	1996 : Italy : 100 minutes : Biographical Drama :
	When the famous - and infamous - director-poet-novelist and
	social critic Pier Paolo Passolini was murdered in a Rome slum
	in 1975, the official view was that he was murdered by an enraged
	teenaged boy he had picked up for a sexual encounter.  This film,
	set up in the form of a docudrama, looks at the murder first in a
	straightforward manner, but then raises several provocative questions:
	was the boy acting alone or with a gang, was it an impulse killing or
	was the killer or killers hired to murder Passolini?
	
Why Not?
[Pourquoi Pas?]
	Coline Serrault, Director
	1979 : France : 93 minutes : Gay/Bisexual : Comedy :
	Happy bisexual threesome of two men and a woman becomes a
	strained foursome by the addition of another woman.

The Wild Reeds
[Les Roseaux Sauvages]
	Andre Techine, Director
	1994 : France : 110 minutes : Gay : Drama :
	A beautiful coming of age story with takes place in
	a small village in the south of France during France's
	war with Algeria.  Francois accepts the challenge when
	one of his schoolmate's proposes that they masturbate
	in their school dormitory, but they end up having sex.
	Francois discovers that he prefers boys to girls and
	falls in love with his friend, who still prefers girls
	to boys.  In French with subtitles.

Wittgenstein
	Derek Jarman, Director
	1992 : UK : 75 minutes : Gay : Drama :
	Fictional life of the philosopher who changed the meaning of
	truth and logic. Highly stylized, stunning, yet sparse and
	witty, with Jarmanesque queer iconographic detail.

Wonderland
[aka The Fruit Machine]
	Philip Saville, Director
	1988 : UK : 103 minutes : Gay : Drama :
	The surrealistic adventures of two gay working class teens,
	who are running for their lives after witnessing a gangland
	hit by a murderer armed with a sword.

The Wounded Man
[L'Homme Blesse]
	Patrice Chereau, Director
	1985 : France : 90 minutes : Gay : Drama :
	A teenage boy stops an attack in a toilet, gets passionately
	kissed by the attacker, finds he is drawn to homosexual sex,
	and becomes infatuated with a sociopathic hustler.  Winner of
	the French Cesar for Best Direction.

Zero Patience
	1993 : Canada : 100 minutes : Gay : Musical :
	John Greyson, Director
	The late Gaetan Dugas, the alleged "Patient Zero" who is
	alleged to have spread AIDS hither and yon in the early days
	of the infection, is brought back to life as a gay ghost,
	along with Sir Richard Burton.  The two become lovers and
	set out on a mission to expose the media and the medical
	establishment for their negligent response to the epidemic.
	The Busby Berkeley-style musical numbers include such
	unforgettable numbers as "The Butthole Duet".

***** Lesbian-Centered U.S. Films *****

27 Pieces Of Me
	Gerald Donahoe, Director
	1994 : 88 minutes : Lesbian : Drama :
	Two sisters, Tanya and Ramona, haven't seen each other in
	ten years when the younger sister, Ramona, arrives in Seattle
	for an unannounced visit that finds Tanya unprepared to
	suddenly deal with ancient family issues.  Tanya's roommate
	Bold, a gay performance artist who dreams of being an Alaskan
	Dog-sledder, attempts to reconcile the two sisters, but when
	he inadvertently shocks Ramona with the news that Tanya is a
	lesbian, Ramona reveals the real reason behind her sudden arrival.
	The film features songs from over 10 Seattle bands, including The
	Tiny Hat Orchestra, The Laura Love band, Ganja Farmers, and Lisa
	Koch.

Alicia Was Fainting
	Nuria Olive-Belles, Director
	1994 : 37 minutes : Lesbian : Drama :
	A bittersweet story of a 14-year-old girl dealing with her
	mother's death, the onset of womanhood, and her own awakening
	sexuality.  Alicia, resistant to the idea of traditional
	women's roles, works in a butcher shop, where she daydreams
	about her mother and writes letters to her best friend, a
	girl she's known all her life and with whom she must part
	upon their graduation from elementary school.

All Fall Down
	Stacey Foiles, Director
	1993 : 30 minutes : Lesbian : Drama :
	A powerfully crafted family drama in which two sisters, one
	straight, one lesbian, travel to their mother's home on the
	second anniversary of their brother's suicide.  Dark memories
	of their childhood come to the surface as they struggle through
	the issues of guilt and truth around the secret of their grand-
	father's death.

Bar Girls
	Marita Giovanni, Director
	1994 : 95 minutes : Lesbian : Comedy :
	``Bar Girls'' does for lesbians what numerous American
	movies have done for heterosexuals, examining courtship and
	dating, attraction and jealousy, separation and reconciliation.
	Adapting her stage play to the screen, Laura Hoffman has
	transplanted the familiar locale and interactions of a
	neighborhood bar to a specifically lesbian milieu.

Because the Dawn
	Amy Goldstein, Director
	1988 : 40 minutes : Lesbian : Drama :
	An alluring, upbeat, modern day vampire musical comedy set
	to swing tunes. Sax-playing Vampire Marie seduces sports
	photographer Ariel from behind the camera.

Becoming Colette
	Danny Huston, Director
	1992 : 97 minutes : Bisexual : Drama :
	In the process of becoming a writer, the young Sidonie Colette
	endures the coldness of her philandering husband and eventually
	enters into a menage a trois with him and his mistress.

Born in Flames
	Lizzie Borden, Director
	1983 : 90 minutes : Lesbian : Drama :
	After a socialist revolution goes sour, a diverse group of women
	unite to spread the truth about the government.

Bound
	Larry and Andy Wachowski, Directors
	1995 : 110 minutes : Lesbian : Thriller :
	Violet, the sexy moll of Caesar, a Mob accountant, makes a play for
	Corky, an ex-con fixing up the apartment next door.  As the two women
	begin to create a bond, Violet enlists Corky's help in stealing two
	million dollars that Caesar is in temporary possession of.  From here
	it's one astounding plot twist after another.  The actors are outstanding,
	the story is riveting (though violent), and the direction is flawless.

A Certain Grace
	Sandra Nettelbeck, Director
	1992 : 40 minutes : Lesbian : Drama :
	Zelda and Alice are working together on a photography project,
	and as their relationship develops, Zelda's boyfriend starts
	to think the women are spending too much time together.

Chasing Amy
	Kevin Smith, Director
	1997 : 105 minutes : Lesbian/Gay : Comedy/Drama :
	Holden and Banky are cartoonists, the creators of the cult comic
	book "Bluntman and Chronic".  They are roommates as well as business
	partners, and have been best buddies since childhood.  When Holden
	meets and starts hanging out with Alyssa, a self-avowed lesbian,
	Banky is not amused.  By the time Holden discovers he's in love
	with Alyssa, and that Alyssa (who has a most interesting past) may
	be in love in him, Banky has become nearly hysterical in his constant
	jabs at Alyssa, her lesbianism, feminism, and women in general.  As
	things get ever more complicated, it becomes clear to everyone but
	Banky that he's in love with Holden, too, and wants him all to himself.
	This is a *very* talky movie (made for only $250,000, and shot in Smith's
	hometown of Red Bank, New Jersey, by the way), and Alyssa's change from
	practicing lesbian to heterosexual wannabe seems more like straight-boy
	wishful thinking than real life, but "Amy" has a lot of humor, some
	very interesting characters, and some outrageously funny situations.

The Children's Hour
	William Wyler, Director
	1962 : 107 minutes : Lesbian : Drama :
	The lives of two young women running a school are ruined -- with
	one driven to suicide -- by the prejudices of the town against
	lesbians. Based on Lillian Hellman's Broadway hit, which was
	probably itself based, in turn, on a real situation in Scotland
	many years earlier.

Claire of the Moon
	1992 : Lesbian : Drama :
	Claire, an irreverent humorist given to one-night stands with
	men, discovers the emotional fulfillment she has been seeking
	when she and a controversial, openly lesbian psychologist are
	thrown together at a picturesque beachside writer's retreat.

Comedy in Six Unnatural Acts
	Jan Oxenberg, Director
	1975 : 26 minutes : Lesbian : Comedy:
	Casts a satirical eye on the myths surrounding lesbians
	by humorously depicting stereotypes in six vignettes:
	Wallflower, Role-Playing, Seduction, Non-Monogamy, Child
	Molester, and Stompin' Dyke.

Damned If You Don't
	Su Friedrich, Director
	1987 : 43 minutes : Lesbian : Drama
	Experimental, avant-garde film portraying a young nun's struggle
	against her sexual desires, which have been aroused by a
	stranger from outside the convent.

Desert Hearts
	Donna Deitch, Director
	1985 : 90 minutes : Lesbian : Drama :
	An English professor goes to Reno to get a divorce, and falls in
	love with a young woman who works at a dude ranch.

Desperate Living
	John Waters, Director
	1977 : 90 minutes : Lesbian : Drama :
	Waters's most outrageous movie ever, in which a housewife and
	her maid enter the fictitious kingdom of Mortville after the
	woman kills her husband. Enough blood, guts, camp acting and
	camp dialogue to make it a cult favorite.

The Elegant Spanking
	Maria Beatty and Rosemary Delain, Directors
	1995 : 30 minutes : Lesbian : Drama :
	This highly erotic film beautifully details the S&M
	relationship between a mistress and her maid.  We are
	treated to an aesthetic subversion of sexual perversion
	as mistress and maid indulge in punishment, seduction,
	submission, spanking, strapping, piss drinking, spike
	heel and foot worship.

Erotique
	Lizzie Borden, Monika Treut, and Clara Law, Directors
	1994 : 90 minutes : Lesbian/Bisexual : Comedy/Drama :
	A trio of films showcasing feminist erotica.  Lizzie Borden's
	"Let's Talk About Sex" (co-written by Susie Bright) follows
	the erotic entanglement of a spunky, bisexual Latina phone-sex
	worker and her sleazy male client.  Monika Treut's "Taboo
	Parlor" is the stylish adventure of a pair of lusciously
	predatory, lipstick lesbians.  Clara Law's "Wonton Soup"
	puts us in Hong Kong, where we look in on a straight couple's
	erotic encounters and reflections on Chinese identity.

Everything Relative
	Sharon Pollack, Director
	1997 : 110 Minutes : Lesbian : Comedy :
	A Sapphic twist on "The Big Chill", this film looks at seven
	college friends who reconvene after fourteen years, when Katie,
	a Jewish psychotherapist, invites them all to a weekend sleep-
	over after her baby son's bris.  Back in the 70s, the gang were
	part of a political street-theatre group.  Today they're hitting
	40, drinking less, eating low-fat, enjoying the benefits of
	lesbian mainstreaming, and wondering where the time went and
	what they've learned.

The Fox
	Mark Rydell, Director
	1968 : 110 minutes : Lesbian/Bisexual : Drama :
	Two women running a remote chicken farm in Canada are lovers
	until a man comes along; then one of them discovers her latent
	heterosexuality, and the other ends up dead.

Fresh Kill
	Shu Lea Cheang, Director
	1993 : 80 minutes : Lesbian : Drama :
	An interracial lesbian couple make a life for themselves and
	their daughter on the edge of Staten Island's Fresh Kills garbage
	dump.  Computer hackers, cable-access personalities, and Tent-City
	residents inhabit a world of corporate manipulation and media
	surveillance.

Go Fish
	Rose Troche, Director
	1994 : 85 minutes : Lesbian : Comedy :
	A comic and realistic representation of lesbian life, which
	serves up bundles of gossip, drama, and sex as it eyes the
	lives of an extraordinary group of lesbian friends.

Illusions
	1982 : Lesbian : Drama :
	A black woman who passed as white in Hollywood during the 1940s
	has a relationship with a black woman singer who provides the
	voice for a white movie star.

The Incredibly True Adventure Of Two Girls In Love
	Maria Maggenti, Director
	1995 : 93 minutes : Lesbian : Comedy :
	The comic misadventures of two high school girls experiencing first love --
	with each other.  Randy, a cute, out, white tomboy from the wrong side of the
	tracks lives with her two lesbian aunts and works in a gas station after school.
	Evie, middle class, smart, pretty, popular, and black, lives with her mother
	in a mansion-like house and drives a Range Rover.  They meet when Evie
	drives into the gas station convinced that something is wrong with the vehicle.
	It's love at first sight, and the girls begin to develop a friendship that blooms
	into a tender, but hilarious, romance.

Infidel
	Catherine Saalfield, Director
	1989 : 45 minutes : Lesbian : Drama :
	Experimental film about a black lesbian designer, Arroe, dealing
	with such issues as racism in the fashion industry and the
	formulation of a positive self-image.

In The Glitter Palace
	Robert Butler, Director
	1977 : 106 minutes : Lesbian : Drama :
	The first made-for-TV movie in which the lesbians are allowed
	to walk off happily into the sunset, but with the slightly
	negative thread of blackmail. The fears of lesbian mothers,
	and some of the problems of lesbians in the 1950s are explored
	along the way in a contemporary movie filmed in LA. With the
	Gay Media Task Force credited for advice.

I Shot Andy Warhol
	Mary Harron, Director
	1996: 103 minutes : Lesbian/Gay/Gay Transvestite : Biographical Drama :
	Valerie Solanas is a self-described lesbian feminist who makes her living
	with a street hustle here and some prostitution there, but whose real
	drive in life is radical feminist writing.  Through her friend Candy
	Darling she connects with Andy Warhol and his Factory gang, and comes
	to believe that he is going to produce one of her plays.  He keeps stringing
	her along, and she keeps getting more desperate, and finally, in 1968,
	she goes over the edge.  This is her story.

Joe Joe
	Cecilia Dougherty and Leslie Singer, Directors
	1993 : 52 minutes : Lesbian : Comedy :
	An irreverent and dynamic featurette starring Dougherty and
	Singer as gay British playwright Joe Orton.  Bizarrely
	hilarious dialogues between Joe and Joe in their daily
	lives as working-class dykes in the Mission district are
	intercut with campy musical interludes and sex scenes.

Lake Consequence
	1993 : 85 minutes : Bisexual : Drama :
	In this episode from the made-for-cable series "The Red Shoe
	Diaries", a housewife gets accidentally locked in a trailer
	of a man who has been trimming the trees in her neighborhood.
	She awakens after a long trip to find herself in the mountains,
	a long way from home.  She struggles to come to grips with her
	past and her own sexuality.

Lesbionage
	Joyce Compton, Director
	1988 : 90 minutes : Lesbian : Drama :
	Two detectives who are also lovers investigate a blackmail plot
	against a lesbian congresswoman.

Lianna
	John Sayles, Director
	1983 : 110 minutes : Lesbian : Drama :
	A young mother falls in love with her psychology professor and
	slowly comes to terms with her sexuality and independence.

Long Awaited Pleasure
	1987 : Lesbian : Comedy/Drama :
	Two lesbians leave their emotional baggage behind and start over.

Love Game
	1990 : Lesbian : Comedy :
	A famous lesbian tennis player meets a girl she wants to get to
	know.

My Father is Coming
	Monika Treut, Director
	1991 : USA/Germany : 82 minutes : Lesbian/Bisexual/Gay : Comedy :
	A bisexual woman living in New York has to prepare for her
	father's sudden arrival from Germany with the help of her gay
	male friend.

Naomi's Legacy
	Wendy Levy, Director
	1994 : 26 minutes : Lesbian : Drama :
	A beautifully layered fictional account of a Jewish lesbian
	girlhood, incorporating old photographs and home movie footage.

No Saintly Girl
	Claire Whitaker, Director
	1993 : 32 minutes : Lesbian : Drama :
	A lively memoir of the Catholic girl's boarding school of the
	director's youth and of her coming to terms with her sexual
	identity.

Out of Our Time
	Back Porch Productions, Director(s)
	1989 : 70 minutes : Lesbian : Drama :
	This film contrasts the personal choices, experiences, and
	desires of a contemporary lesbian couple named Valeri and
	Marilyn with those of Valeri's grandmother in the 1930s.

Personal Best
	Robert Towne, Director
	1982 : 124 minutes : Lesbian/Bisexual : Drama :
	Two female jocks training for the Olympics fall in love and have
	an affair, but at least for one, lesbianism is just a phase she's
	going through.

The Potluck and the Passion
	Cheryl Dunye, Director
	1993 : 22 minutes : Lesbian : Drama :
	Sparks fly when a black lesbian couple invite their different
	sets of friends over for a potluck.

A Question of Love
	Jerry Thorpe, Director
	1978 : 90 minutes : Lesbian : Drama :
	A made-for-TV movie about a lesbian mother's fight for custody of
	her son. Her homophobic ex-husband drags her through the mud and
	the courts.

Rules of the Road
	Su Friedrich, Director
	1993 : 31 minutes : Lesbian : Drama :
	An Oldsmobile station wagon serves as the touchstone to a love
	affair.

Separate Skin
	Deirdre Fishel, Director
	1987 : 26 minutes : Lesbian : Drama :
	Using flashbacks, Emily, the daughter of Holocaust survivors,
	contrasts her childhood dreams and doubts with the realities
	of her adult relationships.

Serving In Silence: The Margarethe Cammermeyer Story
	Jeff Bleckner, Director
	1995 : 120 minutes : Lesbian : Biographical Drama :
	On June 11, 1992, while being interviewed for a top-secret
	security clearance, Colonel Cammermeyer admitted that she
	was a lesbian.  Subsequently, she became the highest ranking
	military officer ever discharged because of sexual orientation.
	This movie follows her military life through her discharge
	and reinstatement on June 1, 1994, by a Seattle Federal judge,
	who said that discharge based on sexual orientation was
	unconstitutional.  Colonel Cammermeyer has resumed her duties
	while awaiting an appeal.

She Likes Girls
	1992 : 34 minutes : Lesbian : Comedy :
	A few days in the life of a young New York Lesbian (without a
	cliche in sight!)

She Must Be Seeing Things
	Sheila McLaughlin, Director
	1987 : 90 minutes : Lesbian/Bisexual : Drama :
	A lawyer and a filmmaker are lovers, and while the lawyer has
	a jealous fit over the filmmaker's diaries, which describe
	her past exploits with male lovers, the movie juxtaposes
	scenes from the filmmaker's film, which is about a nun
	fighting sexual repression in a 17th century convent.

Things We Said Today
	John Miller-Monzon
	1992 : 34 minutes : Lesbian : Drama :
	A light-hearted depiction of an idiosyncratic young woman
	who drifts from job to job and between her lover and her
	friend.

Three of Hearts
	1993 : Lesbian/Bisexual : Drama :
	A female couple split up, and one of the women hires a male
	escort to seduce her ex-lover and break her heart, so as to
	drive the ex-lover back into the arms of the still-in-love
	former lover.

Two in Twenty: A Lesbian Soap Opera
	Laurel Chiten, Cheryl Qamar, and Rachel McCollum, Directors
	1988 : 270 minutes : Lesbian : Comedy :
	A 5-part lesbian soap opera which focuses on the day-to-day
	problems of two lesbian households. Includes satirical
	lesbian/feminist commercials and outtakes.

Vegas in Space
	Phillip R. Ford, Director
	1991 : 85 minutes : Lesbian : Musical Comedy :
	The four-man crew of the U.S.S. Intercourse races on a secret
	mission to the planet Clitoris, a 23rd-century all-female
	pleasure planet where men are forbidden to touch down. Ordered
	by the Empress of Earth to swallow gender-reversal pills, the
	spacemen swap their sexes to go undercover as 20th-century
	showgirls and are propelled into a dizzying caper to capture
	the perpetrator of a heinous crime that has hurled the orbiting
	resort on its path to doom.

The Village Idiot
	Patrick Snee, Director
	1992 : 26 minutes : Lesbian : Comedy :
	Kate either wants to be Marilyn McCoo, or else she's in love
	with her.  This hilarious tale of girlhood and self discovery
	offers pointed insights on race, sexuality, culture, and
	identity.

Waiting for the Moon
	Jill Godmillow, Director
	1983 : 87 minutes : Lesbian : Biography :
	Beautifully filmed but emotionally uninvolving exploration of
	the relationship between Gertrude Stein and Alice B. Toklas.

Waking Up: A Love Story
	Greta Schiller, Director
	1988 : 60 minutes : Lesbian : Drama :
	A young woman gets a taste of lesbian love and soon becomes the
	town's number one lesbian.

The War Widow
	Harvey Perr, Director
	1976 : 83 minutes : Lesbian : Drama :
	Made-for-TV movie about a woman who falls in love with another
	woman while her husband is off fighting WWI. When he returns,
	she has to decide whether or not to leave him and her child to
	be with her lover.

The Watermelon Woman
	Cheryl Dunye, Director
	1996 : 90 minutes : Lesbian : Comedy :
	The story of Cheryl, an aspiring filmmaker working "temporarily"
	as a video store clerk with her best friend, the quick-witted
	Tamara.  As Cheryl explores the history of a documentary subject
	with whom she has become obsessed -- a "mammie" character actress
	from the thirties who was probably a lesbian, Cheryl begins to
	question her own identity, and not just because she's falling
	for a whiter-than-white rich girl and getting grief from Tamara
	about it.  "The Watermelon Woman" is like a film within a film,
	with many parts being played by popular black, lesbian, gay, and
	feminist academics.  Both hilarious and provocative, "The Watermelon
	Woman" won the Teddy Award at the Berlin Film Festival and was
	the recipient of Frameline's Completion Fund Award.

Without You I'm Nothing
	John Boskovich, Director
	1990 : 99 minutes : Lesbian : Comedy :
	Film adaptation of Sandra Bernhard's one-woman stage show.  Among
	the pieces: a lesbian version of "Me and Mrs. Jones", a Patti
	Smith send-up, and lots of lesbian shower action.

***** Lesbian-Centered Non-U.S. Films *****

Anna und Elisabeth
	Frank Wysbar, Director
	1933 : Germany : Lesbian : Drama :
	A peasant girl's touch heals the paralysis of the lady of the
	manor, and the lady soon discovers that she can't live without
	the girl.

Anna und Edith
	Gerrit Neuhaus, Director
	1975 : West Germany : Lesbian : Drama :
	Made-for-German-TV movie about two clerical workers who
	fall in love while trying to get better working conditions.

Anne Trister
	Lea Pool, Director
	1986 : Canada : 115 minutes : Lesbian : Drama :
	An Israeli artist goes to Montreal, stays with a psychologist
	friend, and falls in love with her.

Another Way
[Egymasra Nezve]
	Karoly Makk, Director
	1982 : Hungary : 109 minutes : Lesbian : Drama :
	Two journalists fall in love against the backdrop of the 1956
	Hungarian uprising.

Bad Girls
[Les Biches]
	Claude Chabrol, Director
	1968 : France: : 99 minutes : Lesbian/Bisexual : Drama :
	A young woman (Jacqueline Sassard) who is picked up by a stylish
	Parisian woman (Stephane Audran) and taken away for the summer
	gets her own back after being spurned for another. This is the
	'Lesbianism as best avoided' school of voyeur cinema, but unique
	in its time.

The Banker
[La Banquiere]
	Francis Girod, Director
	1980 : France : Lesbian : Drama :
	The rise and fall of a masculine self-made bank president in the
	1920s in Paris.

Belle
	1993 : The Netherlands : 99 minutes : Lesbian/Bisexual : Drama :
	Irma Achten, Director
	Existential tale of a woman in search of herself and meaning in
	her life.  Belle's lifelong commitment to her lover, Marthe, is
	the emotional lynchpin of her life.  But when Belle's desperate
	desire for independence mutates into an obsession with power
	and control, she pushes Marthe out of her life.  Still, though
	she marries to gain independence, her repressed love for Marthe
	continues to influence her life.

The Bitter Tears of Petra von Kant
[Die Bitteren Tranen der Petra von Kant]
	Rainer Werner Fassbinder, Director
	1972 : West Germany : 124 minutes : Lesbian : Drama :
	A decadent fashion designer plays the dominant role in a
	sado-masochistic relationship with one of her employees, but
	she meets someone who turns the tables on her.

Butterfly Kiss
	Michael Winterbottom, Director
	1995 : UK : 88 minutes : Lesbian : Drama :
	This harrowing film of obsession, murder, and dependence
	begins when Eunice, a passionate and impulsive psychopath,
	meets Miriam, a lonely, introverted, and naive young woman
	who works at a gas station, cares for infirm mother, and
	constantly eats noodles.  Eunice completely dominates Miriam
	with her directness and power.  They embark on a search for
	Judith, the only person who ever loved or accepted Eunice
	before Miriam, and along the way Eunice constantly tests
	Miriam's devotion.  Miriam sticks with her, though, even
	after she discovers that Eunice likes to pick up and murder
	men.

By Design
	Claude Jutra, Director
	1981 : Canada : 88 minutes : Lesbian : Drama/Comedy :
	A lesbian couple who decide to have a baby "the old-fashioned
	way" encounter humorous obstacles.

Can't You Take a Joke?
	1989 : Australia : Lesbian : Comedy :
	A woman cartoonist, with the help of pet character Lady Dick,
	sets about recovering her mysterious female client's lost sense
	of humor.

Celine and Julie Go Boating
[Celine et Julie Vont en Bateau]
	Jaques Rivette, Director
	1974 : France : 192 minutes : Lesbian : Drama :
	A magician and a librarian meet in Montmartre.

Costa Brava
	Marta Balletbo-Coll, Director
	1996 : Spain : 92 minutes : Lesbian : Comedy :
	Anna is a tour guide/performance artist trying to raise money to
	mount her latest monologue-in-progress and take it to San Francisco,
	her "Holy Grail".  Instead she gets sidetracked by a bisexual seismic
	engineer named Montserrat.  The problem?  Anna is a hotheaded narcissist,
	and Monserrat is a buttoned-down, sexually unresolved scientist.  Opposites
	attract, but can they stick together?

Daughters of Darkness
[La Rouge aux Levres, Blud an den Lippen, Bloed and de Lippen]
	Harry Kumel, Director
	1970 : Belgium/West Germany/France : 87 minutes :
	Lesbian/Bisexual : Horror :
	Campy cult lesbian horror film which features a lesbian vampire
	as its most sympathetic character and makes heterosexuality seem
	abnormal.

Depart to Arrive
[Weggehen um Anzukommen]
	Alexandra von Grote, Director
	1981 : West Germany : Lesbian : Drama :
	The story of the separation of a photographer and a journalist
	from the photographer's point of view.

Desperate Remedies
	Stewart Main and Peter Wells, Directors
	1993 : New Zealand : 93 minutes : Lesbian/Gay : Comedy :
	A warped, campy, deliberately excessive, and deliriously silly
	spoof on the cliches of 19th century Gothic romance, complete
	with heaving breasts, darting eyes, and furtive confessions.
	Dorothea wants Lawrence to marry her opium-addicted sister Rose.
	Rose wants to marry flamboyant queen Fraser.  Lawrence wants
	to devour Dorothea , who's in love with Anne.  Anne wants
	Dorothea to enter into a marriage of convenience with a sleazy
	local politician.  An off-the-wall tale of lesbian triumph.

Domestic Bliss
	Joy Chamberlain, Director
	1984 : UK : 52 minutes : Lesbian : Comedy :
	Made-for-British-TV soap opera about a lesbian couple and their
	chaotic adventures.

The East is Red
	Ching Siu-tung and Raymond Lee, Directors
	1993 : Hong Kong : 95 minutes : Transsexual : Martial Arts/Fantasy :
	A warrior wizard who gave up his penis to become Asia the Invincible
	is the world's first transsexual lesbian superhero(ine).  Asia is
	out to rid the world of pretenders to her title of conqueror of the
	world in a visual extravaganza of bloody violence, sex, and special
	effects.  In Cantonese with Chinese and English subtitles.

Entre Nous
[Between Us, Coup de Foudre]
	Diane Kurys, Director
	1983 : France : 110 minutes : Lesbian : Drama :
	In 1950s Lyons, France, two married women meet, develop a
	friendship, and leave their husbands for one another.

Entre Tinieblas
[Dark Habits]
	Pedro Almodovar, Director
	1983 : Spain : 95 minutes : Lesbian : Drama :
	In a convent in Madrid, the Mother Superior has fallen in love
	with the female singer Yolanda.  A hard-eged, intentionally
	offensive religious satire, not as original or as funny as
	Almodovar's later films.

Erika's Passions
[Erikas Leidenschaften]
	Ula Stockl, Director
	1978 : West Germany : Lesbian : Drama :
	A butch lesbian and her femme lover are accidentally locked
	in a room together after a long separation and are forced to
	confront each other's differences and complaints.

Extramuros
	1985 : Spain : Lesbian : Drama :
	A dark story of love and ambition behind convent walls. Sister
	Angela decides to fake stigmata to save her convent from ruin;
	her devoted lover reluctantly agrees. But Angela's scam brings
	them unexpected fame as well as new enemies who could destroy
	their relationship.

The Farewell
[Avskedet]
	Tuija-Maija Niskanen, Director
	1980 : Finland/Sweden : 90 minutes : Lesbian : Drama :
	In the 1930s, a young Finnish woman defies her tyrannical father
	to have a relationship with a young German woman.  In Finnish
	with English subtitles.

Fire
	Deepa Mehta, Director
	1996 : Canada/India : 104 minutes : Lesbian : Drama :
	Two women, sisters-in-law in contemporary New Delhi, India, are
	trapped in loveless marriages.  One is the meek wife of a celibate
	eclectic.  The other is newly-married to his brother, who is so
	busy with his sex-kitten mistress that he doesn't have time for his
	new wife.  The two 	women turn to one another for comfort and find
	erotic pleasure and desire in their connection.  In English.

Flaming Ears
	Angela Hans Scheirl, Dietmar Schipek, & Ursula Purrer, Directors
	1992 : Austria : 84 minutes : Lesbian : Drama :
	A fragmented and bizarre tale of lust, jealousy, and revenge
	among three lesbians in the far, far future. Technically
	innovative, staking out a new lesbian aesthetic for the 90s.

French Twist
[Gazon Maudit]
	Josiane Balasko, Director
	1995 : France : 107 minutes : Lesbian/Bisexual : Comedy :
	When super-butch Marijo, a DJ and handywoman, drives her hippie
	van through town, it breaks down at Loli's house.  Loli is the
	neglected, Spanish-emigre wife of Laurent, a philandering real-
	estate agent.  Marijo asks to use the phone, Loli says yes, and
	the stage is set for the most original slant on the French sex
	farce to come along in years.  In French with English subtitles.

La Fuga
	Paolo Spinola, Director
	1967 : Italy : Lesbian : Drama :
	A well-to-do wife finds fulfillment with a lesbian interior
	decorator.

Full Moon in New York
	1989 : Hong Kong : Lesbian : Drama :
	Three Chinese women immigrants in New York -- one from mainland
	China, one a Taiwanese actress, and one a successful entrepreneur
	and restaurateur from Hong Kong -- try to cope with their new
	surroundings. The film can be taken as a symbol of the struggles
	of the three Chinas to come together.

The Getting of Wisdom
	Bruce Beresford, Director
	1977 : Australia : 100 minutes : Lesbian : Drama :
	A gifted young pianist becomes inseparable with a classmate
	in an oppressive finishing school in turn-of-the-century
	Melbourne, Australia.

Girls in Uniform
[Madchen in Uniform]
	Leontine Sagan, Director
	1931 : Germany : 89 minutes : Lesbian : Drama :
	Considered by many to be the first radical lesbian-feminist
	film, in which a student at a repressive authoritarian Prussian
	boarding school finds comfort only in the companionship of a
	sympathetic teacher. It was remade in 1958 in English. See the
	original German version.

The Gold Diggers
	Sally Potter, Director
	1983 : UK : 90 minutes : Lesbian : Drama :
	An actress and a mysterious woman on horseback come together
	while the actress searches for social roots.

Heavenly Creatures
	Peter Jackson, Director
	1994 : New Zealand : 98 minutes : Lesbian : Drama :
	This film is a dramatization of a notorious murder case which occurred in 
	Christchurch in the fifties.  Two teenage girls became very attached to each 
	other, and when their parents decided to separate them by taking one away 
	from New Zealand, they brutally murdered one of their mothers.

In This House of Brede
	George Schaefer, Director
	1975 : UK : 100 minutes : Lesbian : Drama :
	A young nun gets a crush on older one who wants to reciprocate
	but cannot.

I've Heard The Mermaids Singing
	Patricia Rozema, Director
	1987 : Canada : 81 minutes : Bisexual : Comedy :
	An "organizationally-impaired person Friday falls in love with
	her boss, the sophisticated curator of an art gallery.

I, You, He, She
[Je, Tu, Il, Elle]
	Chantal Akerman, Director
	1974 : Belgium : 90 minutes : Lesbian : Drama :
	Conflict-ridden relationship between a woman and her lover and
	a strange man. Features an 18-minute love scene between the two
	women.

Johanna d'Arc of Mongolia
	Ulrike Ottinger, Director
	1988 : West Germany : 35 minutes : Lesbian : Adventure :
	Our heroine is invited on a trip by an affluent older woman.
	They travel to Mongolia where they are kidnaped by Mongolian
	Amazons, and the adventure begins.

Just Passing Through
	Judy Rymer, Director
	1985 : New Zealand : 50 minutes : Lesbian : Drama :
	While scouting locations for a documentary on Maori myth and
	legend, two filmmakers meet Rhea, a Maori woman, who takes
	them on a mystical quest.

The Killing of Sister George
	Robert Aldrich, Director
	1968 : USA/UK : 153 minutes : Lesbian : Drama :
	An aging lesbian actress loses everything, including her young
	lover, when the character she plays on a BBC soap opera gets
	killed off. Note that although this film was produced jointly
	by the US and the UK, it takes place in London, features a
	famous British lesbian bar, and almost everyone in the cast
	is British.

The Life that We Dreamt
[Het Leven dat we Droomden]
	Robbe de Hert, Director
	1981 : Belgium : Lesbian : Drama :
	Two women fall in love with the same man, but soon discover that
	they love each other.

Loss of Heat
	Noski Deville, Director
	1994 : UK : 20 minutes : Lesbian : Drama :
	An expressive portrayal of two lesbian couples, one in Spain,
	the other in London, dealing with epilepsy.

Lune
	Bille Eltringham, Director
	1993 : UK : 28 minutes : Lesbian : Romance :
	A precocious girl with a serious crush  pursues an older woman
	in this charming seaside romance.

Madame X -- Eine Absolut Herrscherin
	Ulrike Ottinger, Director
	1977 : West Germany : Lesbian : Drama :
	Women cannot resist the pirate Madame X, and board her ship in
	quest of gold, love, and adventure.

Mano Destra
	Cleo Ueblemann, Director
	1985-86 : West Germany : 53 minutes : Lesbian : Drama :
	A relentless physiological experience of cinematic bondage and
	sensory manipulation. A European lesbian cult classic, *this* is
	S&M cinema.

The Mark of Lilith
	Bruna Fionda, Polly Gladwin, and Isiling Mack-Nataf, Producers
	1986 : UK : 32 minutes : Lesbian : Drama :
	Lillia, a white vampire, meets Zena, a black lesbian, at a
	horror movie, and the two embark on a bizarre relationship.

The Minders
	Judy Rymer, Director
	1985 : New Zealand : 50 minutes : Lesbian : Science Fiction :
	An extraterrestrial paradise is ruled by a magnanimous
	intergalactic female populace that keeps watch over the Earth
	and intercedes through telepathic mindlink to offer insight,
	solace, encouragement, or inspiration whenever an Earthling
	is in need.

Miss A and Miss M
	1987 : UK : 60 minutes : Lesbian : Drama :
	A young girl slowly becomes aware of the true nature of the
	relationship between two school teachers.

Night Visions
	Marusia Bociurkiw, Director
	1989 : Canada : 60 minutes : Lesbian : Drama :
	Racism and homophobia are explored in two overlapping stories,
	one about a Native American single mother fighting social welfare
	authorities and her white ex-husband for custody of her daughter,
	the other about a lesbian photographer whose erotic photographs
	have been seized by the police.

Nocturne
	Joy Chamberlain, Director
	1990 : UK : Lesbian : Drama :
	A woman returns home for her mother's funeral and meets memories
	which are the key both to her self-repression and her desire.

Novembermoon
[Novembermond]
	Alexandra von Grote, Director
	1984 : West Germany : 106 minutes : Lesbian : Drama :
	During WWII in France, a Frenchwoman hides her lover, a German
	Jew, from the Nazis.

Olivia
[Pit of Loneliness]
	Jacqueline Audry, Director
	1950 : France : 100 minutes : Lesbian : Drama :
	In the latter half of the 1800s, an English schoolgirl falls
	deeply in love with one of her headmistresses in the French
	boarding school she attends.

On Guard
	Digby Duncan and Susan Lambert, producers
	1983 : Australia : 51 minutes : Lesbian : Drama :
	An aerobics instructor, a disillusioned nurse and two other
	lesbians conspire to sabotage a reproductive engineering facility
	and alert the media to a Brave New World bioproduction line. A
	heist movie which incorporates frank portrayal of the characters'
	domestic and sexual, personal and political struggles.

Oranges Are Not The Only Fruit
	Beeban Kidron, Director
	1989 : UK : 144 minutes, theatrical version; 3x120 minute episodes,
	mini-series version : Lesbian : Drama :
	Coming of age story about an iron-willed young woman who's been
	raised in a strict evangelical environment, and whose lesbianism
	scandalizes her equally iron-willed adoptive mother, and pretty
	much the rest of the church, too.  Made by the BBC from the
	semi-autobigraphical -- and often very funny -- first novel
	by Jeannette Winterson.

Pandora's Box
	G. W. Pabst, Director
	1928 : Germany : 110 minutes : Bisexual/Lesbian :
	Silent screen classic about a girl whose loose morals take her
	from promiscuity to whoredom to a fatal encounter with Jack the
	Ripper.  Along the way, she has a torrid affair with a lesbian
	countess and the countess's stepson.

Pepi, Luci, Bom (and Other Girls in the Heap)
	Pedro Almodovar, Director
	1980 : Spain : Lesbian : Drama :
	An angry lesbian declares war on the Madrid police.

Portrait of a Marriage
	Stephen Whittaker, Director
	1990 : UK : Lesbian/Bisexual : 4x50 minute episodes :
	Biographical Drama :
	A made-for-TV period drama series featuring the relationships
	among Violet Keppel and Vita Sackville-West and Harold Nicolson
	(played by Cathryn Harrison, Janet McTeer and David Haigh).
	Sumptuously made by the BBC and co-produced by WGBH. Based on
	the book by Vita and her son, Nigel Nicolson.

Prisoners of Cell Block H
	197?-198? : Australia : Lesbian : Soap Opera :
	A long-running series which has attained cult status, set in a
	women's prison, with several long-standing lesbian characters.

Richard's Things
	Anthony Harvey, Director
	1980 : UK : 104 minutes : Lesbian : Drama :
	Made-for-British-TV movie about a dead businessman's widow and
	mistress, who go from open hostility to falling in love with each other.

Rites of Passage
	Gerda Heijnis, Director
	1992 : Holland : 22 minutes : Female Transvestite : Drama :
	Operatic, industrial, and idyllic, this allegory of a
	cross-dressing girl and her mother offers an exquisite
	portrayal of lost and regained gender identity.

Salmonberries
	Percy Adlon, Director
	1991 : Canada : 94 minutes : Lesbian : Drama :
	A middle-aged German librarian searches for meaning in her life
	in Alaska and makes contact with a sullen half-Eskimo mining worker
	who is mistaken for a boy wherever she goes.

Seduction: The Cruel Woman
[Verfuhrung: die grausame Frau]
	Monika Treut, Director
	1985 : West Germany : 84 minutes : Bisexual/Lesbian : Drama :
	Wanda is a gallery owner in Hamburg specializing in S/M art.
	Being a dominatrix isn't easy for her when she insists that all
	is performance, but her clients and would-be lovers want a
	"real" relationship.

The Silent Thrush
	Sheng-fu Cheng, Director
	1992 : Taiwan : 100 minutes : Lesbian : Drama :
	Backstage lesbian romance between a young girl who joins a
	Taiwanese opera company and the company's leading lady highlight
	this portrait of theater life in modern Taiwan.  The young woman
	finds the opera company not at all what she expects: audiences
	are deserting the opera, the program now includes less than
	respectable girly shows, and the star's long-time lover is
	intensely jealous of her.  In Hokkien and Mandarin with English
	subtitles.

Simone
	Christine Ehm, Director
	1984 : France : 90 minutes : Lesbian : Drama :
	Simone, a mysterious stranger, enters the life of Francoise, a
	suicidal woman, and the two explore their fantasies.

Sister, My Sister
	Nancy Meckler, Director
	1994 : UK : 102 minutes : Lesbian : Drama :
	Raised in a convent and separated at an early age, sisters
	Christine and Lea are reunited in the house of the tyrannical
	Madame Danzard, where they work as maids.  Slaving away
	under the cruel eye of their mistress, they become acquainted
	with each other while battling demons of abuse and neglect.
	Tensions build to the breaking point when the Madame's
	daughter, Isabelle, triggers Christine's jealousy and fear of
	abandonment.  Finally, when Madame becomes suspicious
	of the true nature of the sisters' love for each other, the
	stage is set for tragedy.

Ten Cents a Dance
[Parallax]
	Midi Onodera, Director
	1986 : Canada : 30 minutes : Lesbian/Gay : Drama :
	Experimental film exploring contemporary forms of sexuality
	and communication between a lesbian couple, a gay male couple,
	and a straight couple.

Therese and Isabelle
	Radley Metzger, Director
	1968 : France/West Germany/USA : 102 mintues : Lesbian : Drama :
	A woman reminisces about a love affair she had with a girl in
	boarding school.

To Forget Venice
[Dimenticare Venezia]
	Franco Brusati, Director
	1979 : Italy : 105 minutes : Lesbian/Gay : Drama :
	In 1920s Italy, Anna and Claudia live in the country with Anna's
	Aunt Marta. Anna and Claudia have become bored with each other,
	but one day Aunt Marta's brother Nicky shows up with his young
	lover Picchio, and things start to change.

Twice a Woman
	George Sluizer, Director
	1985 : UK : 90 minutes : Lesbian : Drama :
	A man becomes obsessed with the young female lover of his
	ex-wife.

The Twin Bracelets
	Yu-Shan Huang, Director
	1990 : Hong Kong/Taiwan : 100 minutes : Lesbian : Drama :
	A young woman in an oppressive Chinese fishing village seeks
	love and escape in the arms of her childhood girlfriend
	against a backdrop of customs and mores that treat women as
	property with no human rights.

Vera
	Sergio Toledo, Director
	1986 : Brazil : 87 minutes : Lesbian : Drama :
	A young woman believes she is a man trapped in a woman's body in
	this intense investigation of sex roles.  When she falls in love
	with another woman, they both struggle painfully with her gender
	dysphoria.  In Portugese with English subtitles.

The Virgin Machine
	Monika Treut, Director
	1988 : West Germany : 91 minutes : Lesbian : Drama :
	A naive German journalist searches for love in San Francisco's
	lesbian underground.

When Night Is Falling
	Patricia Rozema, Director
	1995 : Canada : ?? minutes : Lesbian : Drama :
	A professor at a religious school has to examine her life, her
	sexuality, and her religion when she meets and falls in love with
	a woman circus performer.

Wild Flowers
	Robert Smith, Director
	1989 : UK : Lesbian : Drama :
	Two women discover love for each other in a fairly repressed
	corner of Scotland.

A Woman In Transit
[La Femme de l'Hotel]
	1984 : Canada : Lesbian : Drama :
	A director and her leading lady search for someone to
	play the central figure in their movie and find her in the
	hotel where they're all staying.

A Woman Like Eve
[Een Vrouw als Eva]
	Nouchka van Brakel, Director
	1979 : The Netherlands : 90 minutes : Lesbian : Drama :
	On vacation in France, a married Dutch woman falls in love with
	a French lesbian. When she attempts to divorce her husband, a
	bitter custody battle ensues.

Zoe The Boxer
[Zoe le Boxeuse]
	Karim Dridi, Director
	1992 : France : 24 minutes : Transsexual : Drama :
	A clever faux documentary which examines the story of a female
	boxer who became a man and murdered her manager.

***** Directory of GLBO Film and Video Distributors *****

Cambridge Documentary Films
P.O. Box 385
Cambridge, MA 02139
(617) 354-3677

Charis Video  (Many Lesbian Videos)
P.O. Box 797
Brooklyn, NY 11231
(718) 855-4458

Cinema Guild
1697 Broadway, Suite 802
New York, NY 10019
(212) 246-5522

Cinevista
353 W. 39th St.
New York, NY 10018
(212) 947-4373

Dangerous To Know
66 Offley Road
London, England
SW9 OLS
Tel:  (44) 171 735 8330
Fax:  (44) 171 793 8488
E-Mail:  <name>@dtk.co.uk

Direct Cinema Ltd.
P.O. Box 10003
Santa Monica, CA 90410
(310) 396-4774

Drift Distribution
611 Broadway, Suite 742
New York, NY 10012
Tel: (212) 254-4118
Fax: (212) 254-3154

Exportfilm Bischoof & Co.
Isabellastrasse 20
D-8000 Munich 40, West Germany

Facets Multimedia, Inc.
1517 West Fullerton Ave.
Chicago, IL 60614
(800) 331-6297, (312) 281-9075 in IL

Filmmakers Library
124 East 40th St., #901
New York, NY 10016
(212) 808-4980

First Run Features
153 Waverly Place
New York, NY 10014
Tel: (212) 243-0600
Fax: (212) 989-7649

Frameline Distribution
346 Ninth Street
San Francisco, CA 94103
Tel: (415) 703-8654/5
Fax: (415) 861-1404

Insider Video Club
P.O. Box 93399
Hollywood, CA 90093
Tel: (800) 634-2242
Fax: (213) 661-8330

LadySlipper
P.O. Box 3130
Durham, NC 27705
(919) 683-1570

Lambda Rising Bookstores
1625 Connecticut Ave., NW
Washington, DC 20009-1013
(800) 621-6969, (202) 462-6969
E-Mail: [email-masked]

Maya Vision
43 New Oxford St.
London, WC1 A1BH, England

Moonforce Media
903 Maplewood Ave.
Takoma Park, MD 20912
(301) 585-8886

New Yorker Films
16 W. 61st St.
New York, NY 10023
(212) 247-6110

Outspoken Productions
202 S. Pearl Street, Suite 4
Charlotte, MI 48813
(517) 541-1630

Pop Video
P.O. Box 60862
Washington, DC 20039
(202) 726-1650

Strand Releasing
8033 Sunset Blvd., #4002
Los Angeles, CA 90046
Tel/Fax/Productions/Acquisitions: (213) 937-4500
Film Bookings: (818) 342-9006

Tapestry Productions
924 Broadway
New York, NY 10010
(212) 677-6007

Third World Newsreel
335 W. 38th St., 5th Floor
New York, NY 10018
(212) 947-9277

TLA Video
1520 Locust St., Suite 200
Philadelphia, PA 19102
(800) 333-8521, (215) 790-1510

Water Bearer Films
205 West End Avenue, Suite 24H
New York, NY 10023
(212) 580-8185

Winds of Change Productions
12 Grove Ave.
Toronto, Ontario M6J 3B6, Canada

Wolfe Video  (Primarily lesbian films)
P.O. Box 64
New Almaden, CA 95042
(408) 268-6782)

Womankind Books, Inc.
5 Kivy St.
Huntington Station, NY 11746
(800) 648-5333, (516) 427-1289

Women Make Movies, Inc.
462 Broadway, Suite 500E
New York, NY 10013
Tel:  (212) 925-0606 
Fax:  (212) 925-2052 
[email-masked]

Yoyo Film, Video & Theatre Prods.
108 Grove Park
London SE5, England

***** Notes and Acknowledgements ****

Don't be shy about e-mailing me any GLBO-centered films that you don't
find on this list, folks, but remember that to qualify for this list a
film has to either be *about* a central GLBO character or have a GLBO
character (or theme) so central to the plot that the film couldn't exist
the same way without that character (or theme).  Please try to provide
as much information about the films as you can, including a capsule plot
summary, and don't forget to sign your name to your letters so that I
can acknowledge your contribution.

Please note that I have arbitrarily established a 30-minute
minimum length requirement for films to be included on this list.
This is because I view this list primarily as an entertainment
resource, and feel that if you're looking for a couple of films
to watch with your loved one(s) on a weekend, you're going to be
much more interested in feature-length films than you are in
experimental short subjects. There are literally hundreds of film
shorts from 1 minute in length to 29 minutes in length which do not
appear on this list, although if a film is, say, 25 minutes long
and is about a subject or group which doesn't get much film time
it just might find its way onto the list. Many, if not all, of the
distributors above will provide you with a catalog of their films,
including film shorts.

For more information regarding these and other GLBO-centered
materials, notably books, periodicals, music, and some film
shorts, get yourself a copy of this outstanding reference book:

Gay and Lesbian Library Service
edited by Cal Gough and Ellen Greenblatt
MacFarland and Company, Inc., Publishers

Many thanks to Ellen Greenblatt for giving me access to the film
lists from this excellent resource book.

There are several books that will be of interest to LGBO videophiles:

The Celluloid Closet
by Vito Russo

Russo's book is mostly about Hollywood's mistreatment of gay characters
in films, but by the last chapter, films featuring accurate, sensitive,
or at least interesting portrayals start showing up with more regularity.

And these next three are wonderful encyclopedias of GLBO film and video:

Gay Hollywood, Film and Video Guide
by Steve Stewart

Images in the Dark, An Encyclopedia of Gay and Lesbian Film and Video
by Raymond Murray.

The Ultimate Guide to Lesbian & Gay Film and Video
by Jenni Olson

Want another perspective on GLBO film and video?  Visit Jenni Olson's
web site, called PopcornQ, at www.popcornq.com.  This is one gorgeously-
produced web site, and Jenni includes a lot of films and videos you won't
find here on my little list (like all the movies with a GLBO character
who isn't the lead.)  Check it out!

A thousand thanks to Frameline of San Francisco, without whose
"San Francisco International Lesbian and Gay Film Festival" program
booklets, this would be a *much* shorter list!

And finally, thanks for the contributions from Tom Abell, Sim David
Aberson, Arne Adolfsen, Diane Bailey, Nancy Barbour, Didier Beaumelle,
Hector Bellmann, Richard Boehringer, Allen Briskin, Blair Buchta, Ron
Buckmire, Mary Cardenas, Thomas Carlin, Vince Cavasin, David Peter
Coster, Fred Curtis, Jeff Dauber, John DeSantis, Mike Drayton, James
Drew, Michael Dunn, Ken Dykes, David Edelsohn, Lars Eighner, Michelle
Elliott, Ellen Faed, Rob Fein, Beth Freeman, Tina Giangrande, Ellen
Greenblatt, William Tzun-Yuk Hsu, Curtis Johnson, Karen Kinney, Richard
Lamberty, Lew Lasher, Glenn Lewis, Tracey McCartney, Deacon Maccubbin,
Gary Marcos, Robert A. J. Marshall, Bret Marquis, Valerie Mead, Steve
Misek, Jorge Morales, Michele Mueller, Manuel Pece, Chip Phillips, Katie
Phillips, Tim Pierce, Roy Radow, Randy A. Riddle, William Bradley Roberts,
Jeff Shaumeyer, Glenn Slayden, Mike Shepherd, Daniel Sonnenfeld, Steve
Stofflet, Tane' Tachyon, Alex Tan, Max Meredith Vasilatos, Ian Watters,
Dave Williams, Jim Woulfe, and David Wyatt.

Frank Swilling
[email-masked]