Subject: Submission: Jeff Bridges Gets Wild
From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 1996 15:42:45 -0500

A Submission From

THE NEW LESBIAN 
AND GAY VOICE

1747 "S" Street, Northwest
Washington, DC 20009
Telephone: (202) 483-1311
Facsimile:  (202) 265-9737
Internet: [email-masked]

JEFF BRIDGES GETS WILD

By Brandon Judell   (779 words)

This submission by the New Lesbian and Gay Voice is directed primarily to the
lesbian and gay print media, as a means of distributing articles of possible
interest to their readers.

New Lesbian and Gay Voice prefers to distribute and communicate by Internet:
 It's cheaper and easier.  Therefore, where practicable,  please utilize our
address for all communications, and, if you are aware of any lesbian or gay
print media that has a e-mail address, please let us know.

Distributions from New Lesbian and Gay Voice are made, so to speak, on the
honor system.  If you customarily pay for first publication rights or for
subsequent publication rights, we trust that you will notify us and pay our
authors accordingly.  If you do not customarily make such payments -- either
because of an abundance of submissions or a lack of money -- we would
appreciate your providing us notice if you wish to publish.  Unless some
other publication in your geographical area is willing to pay for the
article, we generally allow it to be published gratis.  In any event, we
request that you notify us of any use and publication of an article, in this
one instance preferably with a hard copy to the above address.  

New Lesbian and Gay Voice is always seeking additional authors to assist, and
we will appreciate your forwarding this message to any potential authors.
 Our goal is to improve the already high quality  and scope of the lesbian
and gay press by providing unconventional articles and points of view that
might otherwise not be available.  

Brandon Judell, 
5 West 91 Street, 
N.Y.C., NY 10024-1432; 
(212)580-2206.

Jeff Bridges may be no Golden Gate, but Lord knows how many of us would like
to drive across him. Currently being directed by Barbra Streisand in the
romantic comedy "The Mirror Has Two Faces"--this is what she delayed the
filming of "The Normal Heart" once again for-- and getting ready for the
release of what word has out as a mega-hit, Ridley Scott's "White Squall,"
the blond, wryly wholesome star took off some time to promote his new
western, "Wild Bill."

Directed by Walter ("Geronimo"; "48 Hrs.") Hill, who was honored with the
Golden Boot Award for his contributions to the Western genre on film, this
flick, with its very heterosexual Calamity Jane (Ellen Barkin), has some
critics bragging where they'd like to shove that boot. Others are raving. The
New York Times insists this oater is "unapologetically larger than life!"
Gannett Suburban Newspapers adds: "The best western to come along in years."
 And Washington Post swears: "Jeff Bridges gives one of the most expressive
performances of his career." Well, so much for critics.

How did Bridges prepare for the role that both his father, Lloyd, and Gary
Cooper had played before him: "Well, there was so much legend about Wild Bill
that really getting down to the truth would probably be impossible as far as
telling the truer story because there was so much myth.  But what I was
concerned about was the look of the guy. One of the things that I used a lot
were the photographs taken of Wild Bill. And there were quite a lot. I think
the guy rather enjoyed having his picture taken. He was a rather flashy
dresser and some wonderful photographs exist. One of the things that I was
kind of amazed at was the physical resemblance of us. There's one particular
photograph that really moved me. A tight close-up of him and you can see the
sadness and the courage and the pride in his eyes."

And a tight close-up of page 86 in the first edition of Vito Russo's "The
Celluloid Closet:  Homosexuality in the Movies" and you can see Bridges in
drag opposite Clint Eastwood. He actually received an Academy Award
nomination as Best Supporting actor for his part in Michael Cimino's
"Thunderbolt and Lightfoot." 

Russo writes that the film employs "a notable amount of hostility, some of it
unbelievably vicious, as a defense against the suspicion of homosexuality
among their male characters. . . . At the beginning, Eastwood's baby blue
eyes hit Bridges like a thunderbolt, and Bridges promptly lightfoots it into
drag for the remainder of the film. Bridges is made to say to Eastwood such
things as, 'We've got to stop meeting like this, you know. After all, where
there's smoke, there's fire.' " He later dies in Eastwood's arms, "thereby
preserving the purity of their unconsummated affair."

Yet 150 pages later, Russo compliments Bridges for his role as Norma Rae's
spouse, stating that though he is "unimpeachably heterosexual," his role
represents "breakthrough ideas for men in general."

So what about Bridges pulling a Tom Hanks? Playing a gay? Playing a man with
AIDS or anything controversial?

"I'm up for being stretched," Bridges replies to the question--or maybe not.
"I like as diverse kinds of projects as I can get. One of the things I'm
developing is a children's book called 'The Giver.' It won the Newberry Prize
a couple of years ago.  I'm interested in making some movies my girls can
see. Most of my movies are out of their range." 

However, when asked if he had any messages for World AIDS Day, after a brief
silence, he didn't seem to run away from the question: "Well, probably most
of us know somebody in our lives that has been touched by AIDS or has AIDS.
We were . . . .both my wife and I were in the hospital. My wife was having
her baby right alongside Elizabeth Glaser, who died recently from AIDS. She
died because she had a blood transfusion, and that could have easily been my
wife. If my wife needed blood that would have been her. So I guess on that
day, we can think there but for the grace of God. . . and do as much as we
can for the people who have AIDS."

But back to "Wild Bill." The United Artists press release notes: "On the
lawless frontier where legends were made on the draw of a gun, Wild Bill
Hickok's reputation precedes him. Wherever he goes, men want to be him, women
want to love him, and some, trying to make their name, want a piece of him."
Maybe just a tiny piece isn't so bad.

END