From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 94 21:16:40

LAMBDA LITERARY AWARDS RECIPIENTS ANNOUNCED

The Winners of the sixth annual Lambda Literary Awards were announced 
May 27, 1994 at a gala banquet in the Biltmore Hotel, Los Angeles. The 
Lammys are sponsored by the Lambda Book Report, a bimonthly review of 
lesbian and gay literature, to honor excellence in gay and lesbian book 
publishing during the previous year.

More than half a million nominating ballots were distributed 
throughout the U.S. from September to February. A panel of judges 
representing leading booksellers, gay magazine editors, and book 
reviewers and Lambda Book Report contributing editors chose five 
finalists in each category from among the nominees. Those finalists 
were announced March 1, 1994. A separate panel of 80 judges, also 
chosen for their stature within the book publishing industry and their 
experience in reviewing literature, voted independently and anonymously 
for the final winners. This year's winners follow:

LESBIAN AND GAY SCIENCE FICTION/FANTASY
"The 5th Sacred Thing" by Starhawk (Bantam)

LESBIAN AND GAY ANTHOLOGIES
"Lesbian and Gay Studies Reader" edited by Henry Abelove, Michele Aina 
Barale, and David Halpern (Routledge)

LESBIAN AND GAY DRAMA
"Angels in America: Millenium Approaches" by Tony Kushner (Theatre 
Communications Group)

LESBIAN AND GAY HUMOR
"Spawn of Dykes to Watch Out For" by Alison Bechdel (Firebrand Books)

CHILDREN'S/YOUNG ADULT LITERATURE
"The Cat Came Back" by Hilary Mullins (Naiad Press)

LESBIAN AND GAY SMALL PRESS BOOK AWARD (tie)
"Stone Butch Blues" by Leslie Feinberg (Firebrand Books)
"Sojourner" edited by B. Michael Hunter (Other Countries Press)

LESBIAN POETRY
"The Marvelous Arithmetics of Distance" by Audre Lorde (W. W. Norton)

GAY MEN'S POETRY (tie)
"Collected Poems" by James Schuyler (Farrar Straus Giroux)
"1990" by Michael Klein (Provincetown Arts Press)

GAY MEN'S MYSTERY
"Catalina's Riddle" by Steven Saylor (St. Martin's Press)

LESBIAN MYSTERY
"Divine Victim" by Mary Wings (Dutton)

LESBIAN BIOGRAPHY/AUTOBIOGRAPHY
"Marguerite Yourcenar" by Josyanne Savigneau (University of Chicago 
Press)

GAY MEN'S BIOGRAPHY/AUTOBIOGRAPHY
"Genet" by Edmund White (Alfred a. Knopf)

EDITOR'S CHOICE
"A Star Bright Lie" by Coleman Dowell (Dalkey Archive Press)

PUBLISHER'S SERVICE AWARD
Michael Denneny, St. Martin's Press

LESBIAN FICTION
"Written on the Body" by Jeanette Winterson (Alfred A. Knopf)

GAY MEN'S FICTION
"Living Upstairs" by Joseph Hansen (Dutton)

LESBIAN STUDIES
"Boots of Leather, Slippers of Gold" by Elizabeth Kennedy and Madeline 
Davis (Routledge)

GAY MEN'S STUDIES
"Conduct Unbecoming" by Randy Shilts (St. Martin's Press)

---
The Lambda Book Report is published bimonthly. Subscriptions are 
$19.95/year in the U.S., $27.95 in Canada, and $31.95 in all other 
countries. Credit card holders may order by calling 1-800-621-6969 or 
writing: Lambda Book Report, 1625 Connecticut Ave., NW, Washington, DC 
20009-1013.

Copyright 1994, Lambda Book Report. Permission to reprint this entire 
file in any medium is hereby granted.

Inquiries to: [email-masked]