Subject: Telling the Beads: Sonnets
From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 1995 05:01:21 -0800

QRD: Please post this in QRD/media/books.  Thanks, MSM
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Consider this for your local library or your personal collection.
<[email-masked]>

The book's "Author-provided cataloging information" reads:

Montgomery, M. S. (Michael Stewart), 1948-
   Telling the beads : sonnets / M. S. Montgomery
   74 p. ; 23 cm.
   ISBN 0-932616-50-X (paper)
   1. Gay men--Poetry.  2. Bisexual men--Poetry.
3. AIDS (Disease)--Poetry.  I. Title.
                                       94-067396

From the back cover:

"M. S. Montgomery . . . was born in Galveston, Texas, and educated
at Columbia, UConn, and Illinois.  A professional academic
librarian and bibliographic activist, he lives with his family in
Princeton, New Jersey."

Rudy Kikel's blurb: "'I am one whole person,' says the closeted man
who resolves on taking his male lover to an office party.  _Telling
the Beads_--in which he allows us to read _his_--is M. S.
Montgomery's party, his developing 'wholeness,' though he brings to
it not one but many characters who constitute contemporary gay
life--or prey upon it.  Shrinking from neither the discipline of
his form (the sonnet) nor the imperatives of his loving, M. S.
Montgomery is the genuine article--a poet whose witness, whose
fervor, and whose fortitude you may find, as I do, that you cannot
do without."

Jan-Mitchell Sherrill's blurb: "What is most remarkable to me about
Montgomery's sonnets is how insistent is the voice which explores
its bisexuality.  That voice is unequivocal."

Copies may be purchased for $10 each, plus $1.50 for postage and
handling, from New Poets Series, Inc., 541 Piccadilly Rd.,
Baltimore, MD 21204.