Subject: Book Review - "HIV-Negative"
From: [email-masked] (Emily Rizzo)
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 1995 14:48:13 GMT

I'm a bit hesitant to attempt a review of "HIV-Negative:  
How the Uninfected Are Affected by AIDS" by William 
I. Johnston because I have been comparatively untouched by 
the epidemic and I'm  not, unlike many people here, making 
daily choices  about safer sex. Still I feel this is an 
important book, so consider this a pointer for those who 
would like to learn more about it.

Johnston is an HIV counsellor in Boston, a member of an HIV
negative support group, and an occassional participant in 
soc.motss.  A propos of the last item, his book includes 
quotes he gleaned from an internet survey, although the body 
of the work is based on face to face interviews.  In fact, 
half the chapters are written by others who are negative and 
some of them provide the deepest insights found in this book.

Johnston discusses  the history of testing by gay men
since it first became available in 1985 -- how opinion swung
from opposing testing to encouraging all men to get tested.  
The main thrust of his book, however, deals with the psychological
consequences of being negative and trying to maintain that status
at a time when gay=AIDS in the minds of many people.

Why do so many men feel depressed on learning of their negative
status?  Why do we expect that simply knowing how to practice
safe sex will guarantee that it is always practiced?  What are
the particular problems of negative men in relationships with 
positive ones?  What kind of support systems can we put into 
place to help negative men maintain their status?  These are just
a few of the topics he discusses in a non-judgmental tone.

I know that this is a highly controversial topic right now among
AIDS educators.   I found this book well-written and an interesting 
introduction  to this subject.    

I did mean to include the  following pointer for additional 
information about this book.

	Will Johnston
	[email-masked]
	home page on WWW with book info: 
	ftp://ftp.std.com/pub/wij/index.html

Emily

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Emily Rizzo - send private e-mail for information on Parents, Families and
Friends of Lesbians and Gays (PFLAG), and a free brochure, sent in complete 
confidentiality, about coming out to parents. [email-masked]