Subject: gay teen bibliography
From: [email-masked] (HUGH)
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 1994 11:25 EST

To: GAYNET, QUEER STUDIES LIST

Hey,

   Actually that subject line may be a little off, but I couldn't think of 
another way to encapsulate the following:

   The High School Journal (ISSN 0018-1498/86) has just published its 
special issue on "the gay teenager." It is a double issue (v.77, no. 1 and 
2, Oct/Nov-Dec/Jan, 1993-94) and offers 19 articles on the subject. The 
table of contents:

   O' Conor, Andi. "Who Gets Called Queer in School? Lesbian, Gay and 
Bisexual Teenagers, Homophobia and High School."
   Anderson, Dennis A. "Lesbian and Gay Adolescents: social and 
Developmental Considerations."
   Monteiro, Kenneth P. and Vincent Fuqua. " African American Gay Youth: 
One Form of Manhood."
   Rofes, Eric E. "Making Our Schools Safe for Sissies."
   Wooten, Cecil W. "The Elusive "Gay" Teenagers of Classical Antiquity."
   Brogan, Jim. "Gay Teens in Literature."
   Kielwasser, Alfred P. and Michelle A. Wolf. "Silence, Difference, and 
Annihilation: Understanding the Impact of Mediated Heterosexism on High 
School Students."
   Griffin, Pat. "Homophobia in Sport: Addressing the Needs of Lesbian and 
Gay High School Athletes."
   Reynolds, Amy L. and Michael J. Koski. "Lesbian, Gay and Bisexual Teens 
and the School Counselor: Building Alliances."
   Lipkin, Arthur. "The Case for a Gay and Lesbian Curriculum."
   Uribe, Virginia. "Project 10: A School-Based Outreach to Gay and Lesbian 
Youth."
   Blumenfeld, Warren J. " "Gay/Straight" Alliances: Transforming Pain to 
Pride."
   Leap, William L. "Learning Gay Culture in "A Desert of Nothing:" 
Language as a Resource in Gender Socialization."
   Singerline, Hugh. "OutRight: Reflections on an Out-of-School Gay Youth 
Group."
   Sears, James T. "Challenges for Educators: Lesbian, Gay, and Bisexual 
Families."
   McLaren, Peter. "Moral Panic, Schooling, and Gay Identity: Critical 
Pedagogy and the Politics of Resistance."
   Harbeck, Karen M. "Invisible No More: Addressing the Needs of Gay, 
Lesbian and Bisexual Youth and Their Advocates."
   Elia, John P. "Homophobia in the High School: A Problem in Need of a 
Resolution."
   Leck, Glorianne. "Politics of Adolescent Sexual Identity and Queer 
Responses."

   I post this at least partly because of recent posts asking for a variety 
of bibliographies and some of these articles -- the one by Sears comes to 
mind -- offer sizable lists of references.
   Hope the usefulness of this information outweighs the electronic space 
it took up.

Hugh Singerline
[email-masked]