Subject: Hepatitis B and Gay Men
From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 1998 06:50:25 EDT

What is Hepatitis B ?

Hepatitis B is a sexually transmitted liver disease caused by the hepatitis B
virus (HBV).  HBV is spread much like HIV, the virus that causes AIDS.  HBV,
however, is easier to catch than HIV because it is over 100 times more
concentrated in an infected person's blood.

How serious is hepatitis B ?

HBV infection can cause severe liver disease, including liver failure
(cirrhosis) and liver cancer.  Over 6,000 people die every year from hepatitis
B-related liver disease.

How great is my risk for getting HBV infection ?

HBV infects one out of every 20 people living in the United States. Gay and
bisexual men who have multiple partners are 10 to 15 times more likely to
acquire HBV than the general population.

How do I protect myself from HBV infection ?

* Get three hepatitis B shots.

* Continue to practice "safer" sex

* Put a barrier between you and the other person's body fluids and blood

* Tell your friends at risk to get vaccinated with the hepatitis B vaccine

How is HBV spread ?

HBV is not just a sexually transmitted disease.  It is a hardy virus that can
exist on almost any surface for up to one month.  HBV is found in blood,
semen, saliva and vaginal secretions of an infected person.

HBV can be spread by:

* Unprotected anal or vaginal sex

* Sharing needles used for drugs, body piercing, or tattooing

* Contact with open sores

* Sharing toothbrushes, razors, nail clippers or washcloths

* Human bites

* Living in a household with a person with ongoing HBV infection

You do not get HBV from sneezing, coughing or holding hands.

What are the symptoms of HBV ?

* extreme tiredness, pain in joints

* loss of appetite, nausea

* fever

* dark-colored urine

* bloated and tender belly

* yellowish tinged skin and eyes

Only about half of people who are infected with HBV get syptoms.  People who
are infected with HBV whether they have symptoms or not, can spread the
disease to others !

Do people fully recover from HBV ?

Approximately 10% of adults who become infected will carry HBV in their bodies
for years or for life and remain contagious.  These people are called "HBV
carriers."  HBV carriers usually do not have symptoms, but are at increased
risk for liver failure and liver cancer and need ongoing medical care.

How do I know if I have or have had hepatitis B ?

The only way to know for sure is to have your blood tested.  Up to 70% of gay
and bisexual men have already been infected with HBV.

Will the hepatitis B vaccine protect me for hepatitis A or hepatitis C ?

NO. Hepatitis A and hepatitis C are different diseases caused by diffferent
virus.  Hepatitis A occurs often in men who have sex with men. There is a
vaccine for hepatitis A.  Talk to your doctor about whether you need this
vaccine.  There is no vaccine for hepatitis C.

Where can I receive hepatitis B shots ?

Talk to your health care provider or your local public health department.

*This information may be reproduced without permission.  If you alter it,
please acknowledge that it was adapted from the Hepatitis B Coalition.

Hepatitis B Coalition
Immunization Action Coaltion
1573 Selby Avenue, Suite 229
St. Paul Minnesota   55104
612-647-9009
http://www.immunize.org

OTHER HEPATITIS RESOURCES

Hepatitis B Foundation
http://www.hepb.org

Hepatitis Information Network
http://www.hepnet.com

Hepatitis Zone
http://www.hep-help.com

American Liver Foundation
http://www.liverfoundation.org
1-800-223-0179