Subject: [GLB-PRESS] Policy Statements on Lesbian, Gay, and Bisexual Concerns
From: Song Weaver <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 1 Sep 1998 07:00:00 -0400

>From http://www.apa.org/pi/lgbpolicy/orient.html

 Policy Statements on Lesbian, Gay, and Bisexual Concerns

RESOLUTION ON APPROPRIATE THERAPEUTIC RESPONSES TO SEXUAL ORIENTATION

[Adopted by the American Psychological Association Council of
Representatives, August 14, 1997.]

Whereas societal ignorance and prejudice about same gender sexual
orientation put some gay, lesbian, bisexual and questioning individuals at
risk for presenting for 'conversion' treatment due to family or social
coercion and/or lack of information (Haldeman, 1994);

Whereas children and youth experience significant pressure to conform with
sexual norms, particularly from their peers;

Whereas children and youth often lack adequate legal protection from
coercive treatment;

Whereas some mental health professionals advocate treatments of lesbian,
gay, and bisexual people based on the premise that homosexuality is a
mental disorder (e.g., Socarides et al, 1997);

Whereas the ethics, efficacy, benefits, and potential for harm of therapies
that seek to reduce or eliminate same-gender sexual orientation are under
extensive debate in the    professional literature and the popular media
(Davison, 1991; Haldeman, 1994; Wall Street Journal, 1997);

Therefore, be it resolved, That APA affirms the following principles with
regard to treatments to alter sexual orientation:

That homosexuality is not a mental disorder (American Psychiatric
Association, 1973); and

That psychologists 'do not knowingly participate in or condone unfair
discriminatory practices' (Ethical Principles of Psychologists and Code of
Conduct, American Psychological Association, 1992, Principle D, p. 1600);
and

That 'in their work-related activities, psychologists do not engage in
unfair discrimination based on...sexual orientation' (Ethical Principles of
Psychologists and Code of Conduct, American Psychological Association,
1992, Standard 1.10, p. 1601); and

That 'in their work-related activities, psychologists respect the rights of
others to hold values, attitudes, and opinions that differ from their own.'
(Ethical Principles of Psychologists and Code of Conduct, American
Psychological Association, 1992, Standard 1.09; p. 1601); and

That 'psychologists...respect the rights of individuals to privacy,
confidentiality, self-determination and autonomy' (Ethical Principles of
Psychologists and Code of Conduct, American Psychological Association,
1992, Principle D, p. 1599); and

That 'psychologists are aware of cultural, individual and role differences,
including those due to...sexual orientation' and 'try to eliminate the
effect on their work of biases based on [such] factors' Ethical Principles
of Psychologists and Code of Conduct, American Psychological Association,
1992, Principle D, pp. 1599-1600); and

That 'where differences of...sexual orientation ...significantly affect
psychologist's work concerning particular individuals or groups,
psychologists obtain the training, experience, consultation, or supervision
necessary to ensure the competence of their services, or they make
appropriate referrals' (Ethical Principles of Psychologists and Code of
Conduct, American Psychological Association, 1992, Standard 1.08, p. 1601);
and

That 'psychologists do not make false or deceptive statements
concerning...the scientific or clinical basis for ... their services,'
(Ethical Principles of Psychologists and Code of Conduct, American
Psychological Association, 1992, Standard 3.03(a), p. 1604); and

That 'psychologists attempt to identify situations in which particular
interventions...may not be applicable ...because of factors such
as...sexual orientation' (Ethical Principles of Psychologists and Code of
Conduct, American Psychological Association, 1992, Standard 2.04 (c), p.
1603); and

That 'psychologists obtain appropriate informed consent to therapy or
related procedures' [which] 'generally implies that the [client or patient]
(1) has the capacity to consent, (2) has been informed of significant
information concerning the  procedure, (3) has freely and without undue
influence expressed consent, and (4) consent has been appropriately
documented' (Ethical Principles of Psychologists and Code of Conduct,
American Psychological Association, Standard 4.02(a), 1992, p. 1605); and

'When persons are legally incapable of giving informed consent,
psychologists obtain informed permission from a legally authorized person,
if such substitute consent is permitted by law' (Ethical Principles of
Psychologists and Code of Conduct, American Psychological Association,
1992, Standard 4.02(b), p. 1605);.

That 'psychologists (1) inform those persons who are legally incapable of
giving informed consent about the proposed interventions in a manner
commensurate with the persons' psychological capacities, (2) seek their
assent to those interventions, and (3) consider such persons' preferences
and best interests' (Ethical Principles of Psychologists and Code of
Conduct, American Psychological Association, 1992, Standard 4.02(c), p.
1605); and

That the American Psychological Association 'urges all mental health
professionals to take the lead in removing the stigma of mental illness
that has long been associated with homosexual orientation' (Conger, 1975,
p. 633); and

Therefore, be it resolved, That the American Psychological Association
opposes portrayals of lesbian, gay, and bisexual youth and adults as
mentally ill due to their sexual orientation and supports the dissemination
of accurate information about sexual orientation, and mental health, and
appropriate interventions in order to counteract bias that is based in
ignorance or unfounded beliefs about sexual orientation.

                                REFERENCES

American Psychiatric Association. (1973). Position Statement on Homosexuality
        and Civil Rights. American Journal of Psychiatry, 131 (4), 497.

American Psychological Association. (1992). Ethical Principles of Psychologists
        and Code of Conduct. American Psychologist, 47 (12), 1597-1611.

Conger, J.J. (1975). Proceedings of the American Psychological Association,
        Incorporated, for the year 1974: Minutes of the Annual Meeting of the
        Council of Representatives. American Psychologist, 30, 620-651.

Haldeman, D.C. (1994). The Practice and Ethics of Sexual Orientation Conversion
        Therapy. Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, 62 (2),
221-227.

Socarides, C., Kaufman, B., Nicolosi, J., Satinover, J., and Fitzgibbons,
R. (1997,
        January 9). Don't forsake homosexuals who want help. Wall Street
Journal, p.
        A12.

Letters to the Editor. (1997, January 23). Wall Street Journal, p. A17.

--
[email-masked]             http://drycas.club.cc.cmu.edu/~julie/

        "I'm going to ask for clarification:  Can you clarify this?"

                                --Steve Hirsch

----------------------------------------------------------------------
To sign off of GLB-PRESS send the command signoff GLB-PRESS to [email-masked]