Subject: PFLAG Comes Out for Same Gender Marriage
From: Heather Wright <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2000 11:12:25 -0500

March 1, 2000
	
Contact: Jay Heavner 202-467-8180 ext. 231 (DC)
	 Mitzi Henderson 650-854-2598 (CA)

PFLAG COMES OUT FOR SAME-GENDER MARRIAGE 
  
	As the debate over same-gender marriage heats up in Vermont,
California, and elsewhere, Parents, Families and Friends of Lesbians and
Gays (PFLAG) has redoubled efforts to support same-gender unions.

	At their most recent board meeting in January, the Board of
Directors of PFLAG unanimously approved a policy supporting same gender
marriage: "Parents, Families and Friends of Lesbian and Gays (PFLAG)
believes that society at large benefits from an environment that supports
committed stable relationships, including same-gender committed
relationships, which provide mutual emotional, social, financial, legal and
medical support.  PFLAG, therefore, supports revision of federal and state
statutes to extend to persons in same-gender committed relationships the
right to marry with the full legal rights and benefits, as well as
responsibilities and obligations."

	Paul Beeman, president of PFLAG, noted that the organization has
been working for legal same-gender marriage since 1995.  "This policy is no
surprise to anyone," said Beeman, "considering our strong support of our
gay, lesbian, bisexual, and transgendered family members and friends, but we
wanted to state clearly where we stand."

	In California PFLAG chapters are fighting Proposition 22, also know
as the Knight Initiative," which would single out same-gender couples for
discrimination. To support the efforts in California, PFLAG's national
office sent an organizing packet to all 39 PFLAG chapters there.

	PFLAG chapters throughout California are taking the lead in staffing
hone banks and tables at shopping malls, as well as sending postcards to
friends urging them to "join me in voting against Prop 22."   They are
registering voters and speaking in churches and synagogues, community
groups, and public forums.

	PFLAG members are stepping forward to raise money to fight the
initiative.  A house party hosted by Dodi Goldstein, president of the
Peninsula/San Jose chapter and a member of the national board of directors,
raised $31,000.

	Newspaper advertisements in the gay press in San Diego featured
three PFLAG moms playfully admonishing gay and lesbian people to register to
vote.  The ads quoted Bobbi Harwood, Delores Lesnick and Linda Bessmer of
San Diego County PFLAG saying, "take our advice just this once and make sure
you are registered to vote at your current address for the March 7th
election."  

	Mitzi Henderson, a major organizer of efforts in California and past
president of national PFLAG, said, "As PFLAG families we know that the
commitments make by our gay children and friends fulfill in every regard the
definition of marriage.  We are determined to defeat this attempt to deny
recognition to their legal and moral status." 

# # #

Parents, Families and Friends of Lesbians and Gays (PFLAG) promotes the
health and well-being of gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgendered persons,
their families and friends. Serving over 77,000 members and supporters,
PFLAG affiliates are located in 435 communities across the United States and
abroad.

1726 M Street, N.W., 
Suite 400, Washington, D.C. 20036
(202) 467-8180  Fax: (202) 467-8194 
E-mail [email-masked]  Web: http://pflag.org 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
to unsubscribe from PFLAG's Email Alert List, send
an email, subject line "unsubscribe" to [email-masked]
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~