Subject: "The Wedding" To Be Largest-Ever Celebration of Same-Sex Marriage
From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 1999 19:27:21 EST

N E W S   R E L E A S E
from the Universal Fellowship
of Metropolitan Community Churches

"The Wedding" To Be A Highlight
of Millennium March on Washington
To Be World's Largest Celebration of Same-Sex Marriage

Learn More About "The Wedding" and 
Register On-Line at http://www.ufmcc.com/wedding1.htm.

Washington, DC --  The world's largest-ever celebration of same-sex marriage
will be one of the highlights of the Millennium March on Washington for
Equality in April of 2000, one of the world's first human rights marches of
the new millennium.

Recent setbacks in the last elections in Alaska and Hawaii have fueled a new
emphasis on same-sex marriage rights, according to the Rev. Troy D. Perry,
founder and moderator of the Universal Fellowship of Metropolitan Community
Churches (UFMCC). UFMCC is the world's largest and oldest spiritual
organization offering positive affirming spirituality to the gay, lesbian,
bisexual and transgendered communities.

"The setbacks in the last election were only temporary setbacks in a long
journey toward full civil rights for all people," said veteran human rights
activist Perry. "We're going to continue to raise the visibility of this issue
over the next two years."

As part of that strategy, Perry has announced plans for "The Wedding: Now More
Than Ever,"  a public celebration and blessing of same-sex marriage.

Perry conducted "The Wedding" for 2600 couples at the 1993 March on
Washington. That event stands as the largest same-sex wedding celebration in
history.

"Based on early response, I anticipate that more than 5000 couples will take
part in "The Wedding: Now More Than Ever," said Perry.

"Participants will not only be able to celebrate their love and commitment in
a memorable event, but we're going to make a powerful statement to the world
and we're going to make history," added Perry.

"The Wedding: Now More Than Ever" will take place in front of the Internal
Revenue Service Building in Washington, DC on Saturday, April 29. The event is
open to all couples who wish to publicly make their wedding vows or wish to
renew their wedding vows.

For a $25 registration fee, couples' names will be registered in a permanent
historical archive of "The Wedding: Now More Than Ever" and a limited edition,
personalized certificate of participation suitable for framing will be
prepared. There is no charge for those who wish to participate without
registering for the archive and certificate.

For more information on "The Wedding," or to register on-line for this
historic event, visit "The Wedding" website at
http://www.ufmcc.com/wedding1.htm.

For additional details, contact UFMCC by e-mail at [email-masked], or write
to UFMCC, 8704 Santa Monica Boulevard, 2nd Floor, West Hollywood, CA  98869.

(END)

FOR ADDITIONAL INFORMATION, CONTACT:
James N. Birkitt, Jr.
UFMCC Communications Department
8704 Santa Monica Blvd.,  2nd Floor
West Hollywood, CA  90069

Tel. (310) 360-8640
Fax: (310) 360-8680

E-mail: [email-masked]

website: http://www.ufmcc.com