Subject: UU's support Gay Marriage
From: [email-masked] ( PAULA G CARMICHAEL)
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 1996 23:09:25, -0500

In the last week, at the Indianapolis General Assembly of the 
Unitarian Universalist Association, we worked successfully  to get 
approval of the following Resolution of Immediate Witness, both by 
the 400+ members of the UU Ministers Association,  and by the 
Unitarian Universalist Association itself, as represented by several 
thousand delegates from churches around the country. 

Please help us make our religious association's position known 
throughout the gay, lesbian, bisexual, and transgender community.

The UUA ( http://www.uua.org) has an Office of Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual 
and Transgender affairs ( 25 Beacon St, Boston, MA 02108:  obgltc@uua.
org), a lay group for gay people called Interweave (167 Milk St #406, 
Boston, MA 02109), and many openly GLBT ministers and lay people 
around the country.

                            Thank You,
                                   Paula Carmichael
                                   [email-masked]

Resolution of Immediate Witness
in Support of the Right to Marry for Same-sex Couples

BECAUSE the first Principle of Unitarian Universalism is to affirm 
the inherent worth and dignity of every person; and

BECAUSE marriage is held in honor among the blessings of life; and

WHEREAS many states, the Congress, and the President of the United 
States are acting to void the recognition of same-sex marriages and 
to deny "full faith and
credit" to such marriages formalized in Hawaii or any other state 
that sanctions them; and

WHEREAS the debate about extending legally recognized marriage to 
same-sex couples has focused on the objections of certain religious 
communities; and

WHEREAS the Unitarian Universalist Association has adoped numerous 
Resolutions over the last twenty-six years supporting equal rights 
for gay, lesbian, bisexual, and transgender persons, including 
support for Ceremonies of Union between members of the same sex; and

WHEREAS the UUA Board of Trustees and the Unitarian Universalist 
Ministers Association have voted their support for the right to marry 
for same-sex couples;

THEREFORE BE IT RESOLVED that the Unitarian Universalist Association 
adopts a position of support of legal recognition for marriage 
between members of the
same sex; and

BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED that the Unitarian Universalist Association 
make its position supporting legal marriage between persons of the 
same sex known by means of press and other public media; and

BE IT FINALLY RESOLVED that the Unitarian Universalist Association 
urges its member congregations to take an affirmative position in 
support of the value of
marriage between any two committed persons, whether of the same or 
opposite sexes, and to make those positions known in their home 
communities.