Subject: Gay couples

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 1995 11:35:23 -0400

New York Newsday has begun a series titled Gay Couples: The Changing Face of
New York.  The first installment was run on June 22.  The series is based on
a detailed analysis of the census data from New York City (1990) of those
reporting two unrelated adults of the same sex living together.    The
analysis was done by John Mollenkopf, a professor of political science at the
City University's Graduate Center.  11,668 same-sex couples reported their
status on the census forms.  Same-sex couples were found to have higher
household incomes than opposite-sex couples, but it was noted that same-sex
couple households were more likely to have two incomes from full-time
workers.  A variety of statistics are strewn through the two articles that
appeared June 22.  Perhaps the most interesting was that 30% of lesbian
households had children present, compared to 33% of all male-headed
households (married couples and unmarried opposite sex partners).  10% of gay
male households also reported children being present.  So this study helps to
undermine the stereotype that for gay families to be raising children is
rare; in fact, at any given time, it appears that a significant portion of
gay families are raising children, and that almost as many lesbian families
are raising children (proportionately speaking) as heterosexual families!

Unfortunately, I don't have computer capacity at this time to scan in these
two articles and distribute them to the list.  I urge somebody who does have
such capacity and access through a database to articles from New York Newsday
to do so.  I think the whole list will find them valuable.

Jonathan Mandell, "Gay Couples - The Changing Face of New York - Higher
Incomes, Better Educated," NY Newsday, June 22, 1995, p. A0^, City Section

Jonathan Mandell, "Gay Couples - The Changing Face of New York - Gays in
Mainstream - Same-sex couples find home in NYC, census data show," NY
Newsday, June 22, 1995, p. A07, City Section