Subject: Stonewall Alternatives Events listing
From: [email-masked] (Liz A. Highleyman)
To: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 94 08:41:20 EDT

Here it is, one last time, with a few more events added by request:

6/22

STONEWALL NOW FORUM
QUEER LIBERATION: FROM STONEWALL TO ... SELLOUT?
----- ----------- ---- --------- ------ --------

Date: Wednesday, June 22
Time: 6:00-7:00 (networking); 7:00-9:00 p.m. (speakers); 
      9:00-10:00 (discussion)
Place: Washington Square Church
Sponsor: Stonewall Now, Queers Against U.S. Militarism

Speakers:  Colleen Gallagher (War Resisters League)
           Joan Gibbs (Ctr. for Constitutional Rights)
           Christine Lipat (Phillipine L&G Organization)
           Gabriella Network (Phillipine women's organization)
           Jeremiah Newton (Gay Liberation front, present
                            at 1969 Stonewall riot)
           Leslie Feinburg (author, ``Stone Butch Blues'')
           Rita ``Bo'' Brown (former political prisoner)

(from the flyer)

We are Queers who are concerned about the glorification of the U.S.
military, as evidenced by the three gay and lesbian dances planned for
the U.S. Intrepid (battleship) over the Stonewall 25 weekend.  Other
aspects of the commercialization of Stonewall trouble us as well.  We
want to provide an opportunity for Stonewall veterans and other Queer
activists to speak out about what the spirit of Stonewall means to us
today.  Topics like: empowerment, feminism, confronting racism,
celebrating our queer diversity, and opposing the U.S. military
instead of begging for inclusion.  We will also discuss networking and
improving communication among the radical queer community.  For more
info call 212-642-8451

*********************************************************************

6/23

LIBERTARIAN BOOK CLUB FORUM 
ANARCHISM AND ALTERNATIVE SEXUALITY
--------- --- ----------- ---------

Date: Thursday, June 23
Time: 7:30 p.m.
Place: Penn South Community Room 7A, 330 W. 28th St. (btwn 8th & 9th Aves.)
       New York City
Sponsor: the Libertarian Book Club

Anarchists have a long history of interest and involvement in issues
of sexuality, gender and relationships; unlike those of many other
political persuasions, anarchists have felt that these issues are too
important to wait until ``after the revolution,'' but rather must be
an integral part of our work to create the type of societies we want
to live in now.

How are modern-day anarchism and sexual liberation struggles
connected?  Are sexual repression and authoritarianism related?  How
can anarchists relate to the mainstream gay and lesbian movement, and
how can we address that movement's focus on issues such as the
military, marriage and consumerism?  How can we build a more
broadly-focused sexual and gender liberation movement that will
benefit people of *all* orientations, genders and relationship
preferences (not just monogamous homosexual couples).  Can anarchists
and others who are interested in smashing prevailing paradigms broaden
discussions about sexuality and gender beyond the dualistic ``gay
versus straight'' and ``male/masculine versus female/feminine''
frameworks?  What might be the place in an ``ideal society'' for
alternative sexual preferences and practices that are stigmatized
today (for example pornography and prostitution)?  How can we
reconcile a desire for sexual freedom with a desire to end
exploitation of all types?

This discussion will be presented by Liz Highleyman, a writer and
activist who has been involved in issues of sexuality, gender, AIDS
etc., and has written about these topics for ``Anarchy'', ``Love &
Rage'' and ``Fifth Estate'' magazines and the bisexual anthology ``Bi
Any Other Name.''

This forum will not be a typical ``lecture'' but rather a
participatory discussion.  The forum will not focus on only gay and
lesbian issues -- people of all orientations, genders and proclivities
are welcome.  Changing the way our society thinks about sex, sexuality,
gender and initimate relationships is a project that rightly concerns
everyone!

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
6/24

HOMOCORE
--------
Date: June 24
Time: 6:00pm
Place: ABC NO RIO, 156 Rivington Street, on the Lower East Side 
       ("F" train to Delancy Str)
     ARTLESS
     H.W.A. (Homos With Attitudes)
     I.C.U. (Intensive Care Unit)
     THRUST 
     and the ever popular T.B.A.

Time: 10:00pm
Place: Collective Unconscious (aka Gargoyle), 28 Ave. B, 
       also on the Lower East Side
     DOUBLE ZERO
     VITAPOP
     CHEESECAKE
For further information call on Stonewall Weekend Only:
875-7039 for weekend only!
For a recorded message of all punk-related activities during the
Stonewall week, you can call the OPEC-SID hotline at: 
212-673-2743.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
6/25

DYKES AGAINST THE RIGHT/LAGAI MEETING
-------------------------------------

Date: Saturday, June 25
Time: 1:00pm
Place: 339 Lafayette Str., AJ Muste Room (3rd floor). Closest 
       subway stops are Broadway-Lafayette stop and W 4th stop
Sponsor: DAR & LAGAI

Dykes Against the Right (DAR), Seattle and LAGAI (Lesbians and Gays
Against Intervention), San Francisco are holding a meeting for Radical
Dykes.  We're meeting to talk about what we are doing and can do to
strengthen our community, fight racism, the right wing, militarism,
classism, sexism...(you know the list).  We won't have much time but
maybe we can make some connections, and create a network or newsletter
for future communication!  

SPIRIT OF STONEWALL FORUM
------ -- --------- -----

Date: Saturday, June 25
Time: 3-6:00 p.m.
Place: Irving Plaza (near Union Square)
Sponsor: Steam Magazine, On Our Backs Magazine, Spirit of Stonewall.

A celebratory forum of speakers, discussion and sexual entertainment,
including:

Harry Hay
Joan Nestle
Annie Sprinkle
Samuel Delaney
Harry Hay
Scott O'Hara
Strip performaces, s/m demo and more!

$10 -- benefit for a lesbian safer sex  project

(excerpts from Spirit of Stonewall flyer)

Spirit of Stonewall (SOS) calls on Stonewall 25 and the gay and lesbian
movement to return to its roots. The Christopher Street uprising was
an outcry by those at the bottom and on the margins of society against
puritanical self-righteousness and bigotry.  It was a cry for full
sexual liberation as part of the struggle for social justice.
Stonewall was the spontaneous action of marginal people oppressed by
the mainstream - of teenaged drag queens, pederasts, transsexuals,
hustlers, and others despised by respectable straights and "discreet"
homosexuals.  They did not call for their rights, they seized their
own freedom.  They did not ask for integration into middle-class
America, they screamed against its pretensions of propriety.

Spirit of Stonewall is an ad hoc committee of lesbian, gay and other
individuals and groups formed to bring Stonewall 25 back to the
principles of gay liberation.  We focus on one of the most glaring
departures from those principles: the attempt to exclude the North
American Man/Boy Love Association (NAMBLA), and possibly other groups,
from the Stonewall 25 March and from their place within gay/lesbian
space and discourse.... We find this the height of hypocrisy - to
invoke the name of Stonewall to cast out the alleged molesters among
us.  The issue is not, first of all, intergenerational sex... SOS
takes no stand specifically on age of consent laws or sex between
adults and those deemed legally "children."  The issues that now
confront Stonewall 25 are free speech, free association and
inclusiveness.

SIGNED:  Harry Hay, Pat Califia, Gayle Rubin, Chris Bearchell,
Scott O'Hara, Charley Shively, David Thorstad, Tom Reeves, Jim
Becker and many more

STONEWALL NOW ACTION
--------- --- ------

Date: Saturday, June 25
Time: 10:00 p.m.
Place: Sheridan Square, Greenwich Village
Sponsor: Stonewall Now

An action in the spirit of the Stonewall Rebellion.

PRE-ACTION MEETING: Friday June 24 at 6:00pm
                    Place TBA -- call 212-802-8219

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

6/26

SPIRIT OF STONEWALL CONTINGENT
------ -- --------- ----------

Date: Sunday, June 26
Time & Place: TBA
Sponsor: Spirit of Stonewall

There will be a contingent in the main march on Sunday June 26 for all
who support an inclusive, non-assimilationist gay and lesbian movement
and oppose exclusion of marginal groups.  SOS will attempt to take an
alternative march route from the Stonewall Inn in Sheridan Square to
join the ``official'' route at the U.N.; SOS is rallying other radical
and anti-assimilationist groups (such as ACT UP) to join in the
alternative march.

Probable SOS marchers include Harry Hay, Camille Paglia, Gayle Rubin,
members of Outpunk magazine and groups from the Netherlands, Germany
and the U.K.

HOMOCORE -- SUNDAY NIGHT JUNE 26
--------
Date: 26 June
Time: 10:00pm
Place: Mercury Lounge, 217 East Houston St.
     GOD IS MY COPILOT
     WISE ACRE
     VAGINAL CREAM DAVIS
For further information call on Stonewall Weekend Only:
875-7039 for weekend only!
For a recorded message of all punk-related activities during the
Stonewall week, you can call the OPEC-SID hotline at: 
212-673-2743.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

DATES/TIMES/PLACES TBA

QUASM DEMONSTRATIONS AGAINST U.S. MILITARISM
(AND THE GAY/LESBIAN COMMUNITY'S GLORIFICATION OF IT)
---- --- ----------- ----------- ------------- -- ---

Date, Time & Place: TBA
Sponsor: Queers Against U.S. Militarism

Plan are in the works for demonstrations against ``Operation World
Pride,'' ``A Few Thousand Good Men'' and ``Big Guns Over Manhattan'',
the series of large mainstream gay and lesbian benefit dances being
held on the Intrepid, a retired battleship (famous for its role in the
Vietnam war, now a military museum showing an exhibit on the U.S.
``liberation'' of Kuwait).  Although the benefits support good causes,
including AIDS funding, many members of ACT UP and direct service
groups oppose the use of Intrepid as a party site.  

For more info, call QAUSM at 212-642-8451 or contact
[email-masked] (please put QUASM is subject field).